or Connect
Mothering › Pregnancy Articles
pregnancy.jpg

Pregnancy

Pregnancy is normal. Birth is safe in any setting. Discover your choices.

568 pregnancy article submissions by the Mothering community.

Fighting VBAC-Lash: Critiquing Current Research

By Jill MacCorkleIssue 110, January/February 2002 For updated information about ACOG's stance on VBACs read "ACOG Recommends Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) as Safe and Appropriate," July 23, 2010. The July 5, 2001, issue of the New England Journal of Medicine contained a study by Mona Lydon-Rochelle et al.1 and an accompanying editorial by Michael F. Greene, MD,2 which together generated much media attention and discussion of the risks of vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC). Although the study actually contains little new or groundbreaking information and relies... read more

Holistic Infertility Treatments

When my husband and I first stopped using birth control, I figured I’d be pregnant within a month, maybe two. I didn’t bother tracking my cycle or making an effort to have sex on critical days. But after a full year passed, I finally buckled down and bought an ovulation kit. It worked–a little Rough was on his or her way. When I miscarried, I still didn’t think anything was amiss. I was devastated, but I read that one in four pregnancies ends in miscarriage. I chalked up my loss to being uninformed, not unable to carry a baby. Even when I underwent... read more

Birth After Cesarean: A Primer for Success

By Diana Korte Issue 89, July/August 1998 Although VBACS--vaginal births after cesarean--have been occurring all over the US in small numbers for most of this century, the medical profession now welcomes them with unprecedented enthusiasm. In 1995 (the latest available year), 35.5 percent of US women who had previously given birth by cesarean had vaginal births subsequently--almost six times the rate of the previous decade.1 And the number of vbacs in this country keeps climbing, pushed upward by some combination of medical research, consumer... read more

ACOG Recommends Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) as Safe and Appropriate

July 21, 2010 In a press release on July 21st The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) announced that "Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) is a safe and appropriate choice for most women who have had a prior cesarean delivery." Stating that the US cesarean rate is "undeniably high", president of ACOG Richard N. Waldman, MD cited this concern as one of the reasons for the organization loosening its restrictive stance on VBACs. 1 Cesarean rates in the US have been climbing for decades, with recent numbers soaring to over 30% of... read more

Faulty Reporting on a Flawed Study on Home Birth

The New York Times, as well as dozens of other media outlets, is reporting this week that a new review of studies shows that infants born at home have a higher rate of death than infants born in the hospital. This is a strange way to spin a review of studies that, according to the authors, actually shows that in every other index measured, women who give birth at home have equal or more positive outcomes than women who give birth in the hospital. According to the study’s abstract, women who give birth at home: “are less likely to experience... read more

Should we have another baby?

Hi, my husband and I need help considering a third baby. We have a 5 year old son and a 3 year old daughter who co-sleep with us. This was not our original intention, but after 8 months of sleeping in 15 minute blocks (our son nursed multiple times an hour), I brought him into bed with us on Christmas Eve at my in-laws (after carting his bassinet there with us), and I laid him on my chest and we slept for 2 hours straight for the first time. After returning home, we realized that he and I needed to be together in order for either one of us to sleep. (FYI - he only took... read more

One Mom Talks About Her Role in Earliest Exposures, a Study of Toxins in Pregnancy

This post is the first by several mothers who, in a monthly series, will chronicle their relationship with environmental toxins during pregnancy and breastfeeding. To see the article that spawned these posts read “The Toxic Truth: How Everyday Products Threaten Healthy Pregnancies.” —– Post by Connie Glambos-Malloy If you’re like me, you spent much of your pregnancy (and some time beforehand) learning about all the different ways your lifestyle choices could affect your child-to-be. I knew I had to give up my red wine, but I wondered about eating... read more

Doulas for Labor Support

How would you like to:        Reduce your labor time by 25 percent        Reduce your chances of having a cesarean by 50 percent        Reduce the likelihood that you will need interventions such as pitocin, forceps, or vacuum extraction by up to 40 percent        Reduce the likelihood that you will ask for pain medication or an epidural by as much as 60 percent        Decrease the likelihood that you will experience postpartum depression        Improve your bonding experience with you baby        Learn to breastfeed with greater ease        Feel that you have had an... read more

Pelvic Rock

This is a great exercise for relieving backache and gas, and for readjusting the baby’s position later in pregnancy. It also improves posture and strengthens the abdominal muscles. There are several different ways to do it. Lie on the floor on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the ground. Inhale as you contract your abdominal muscles and flatten the small of your back on the floor. Hold this for a count of five as you exhale. Repeat five times. To make sure you’re doing it right, put your hand under the small of your back as you... read more

God's Will

By Allison GehlhausWeb Exclusive Here it is, I thought, the ultimate paradox of motherhood. The word “mother” ushers in images of fullness, of bellies, of breasts, of arms. Then there’s the flip side, the side that doesn’t get much play time, the side that holds the endless tracks of losses - of small babies, of innocence, of good intentions. Once you experience the love, the immense volcano of love a mother has for her children, even her unborn ones, you can never be truly happy again. You’re too afraid to lose it. Yeah, I thought, watching my friend push her eggs... read more

Mothering › Pregnancy Articles