Mothering Forum banner

Stepmoms: Ever have strangers tell you you look like your stepkid?

1K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  aricha 
#1 ·
This happened at the hair place yesterday--my SO and SD got haircuts, and I went along to keep SD company during my SO's haircut...someone cracked a joke, we all laughed, and the stylist commented to my SD, "wow, I can see both your daddy and your mommy in your smile!" (SD, true to form, launched into a long explanation of my non-momness...
) The stylist then said, "well, if it's not nature, it's nurture, because you have the same expression!"

Pretty cool...

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, that's so sweet!

My little sweetie SD (3.5) doesn't completely get the whole genetics thing yet, so when I said something about her pretty curly hair she said "like you!" and in the context of what we were saying it was clear she thought it had something to do with me. I'll admit, she and I do have similarly curly hair.

#5 ·
My stepdaughter looks exactly like her Daddy. But every once in a while, when we're out together without my Hubby, someone will comment on how much she looks like me, or, the one that my stepdaughter is the most proud of is, how she has the exact same color hair as I do (minus the grey!). I mean EXACT same color. Apparently, she's picked up on alot of my mannerisms, as well.

My son looks NOTHING like my Husband, but they make the EXACT same facial expressions and have the EXACT same way of phrasing things when they talk and the EXACT same mannerisms.
It's pretty cool, actually.

#6 ·
LOL, I've had people who don't know that DH is not DD's father say how much they look alike. But they don't!. She looks exactly like her father except the blond hair that she got from one of her grandmothers. So the only thing to go on is her facial characteristics. And she doesn't share a thing with DH in that department. I think it's just a case of strangers trying to keep up the paternity myth by always stating how much kids look like their fathers.

#7 ·
I don't think that people would ever mistake my dsd for being a biological child of mine. She looks a lot like her mom and sisters - very tall. She was 4 when she started kindy this year and still towers over her classmates. It would not surprise me if she winds up close to 6 ft. I'm only 5'4", and DSD's 11 yo sister is already taller than I am.

#8 ·

This has actually happened to me a few times. I have pics of my future DSD hanging in my cube at work and people will comment how cute of a daughter I have. I just smile and yes she is cute, but I'm not actually her Mother.

It happens when we all go to the store and the park too. People just love stopping us and telling us how cute of a family we are.

So any of you ever get mixed feelings on it? Sometimes it breaks my heart a little, you know that sinking kind of feeling in it... when I have to say, No... I'm not her mother... I'm just the partner of her Daddy...

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSMa View Post

This has actually happened to me a few times. I have pics of my future DSD hanging in my cube at work and people will comment how cute of a daughter I have. I just smile and yes she is cute, but I'm not actually her Mother.

It happens when we all go to the store and the park too. People just love stopping us and telling us how cute of a family we are.

So any of you ever get mixed feelings on it? Sometimes it breaks my heart a little, you know that sinking kind of feeling in it... when I have to say, No... I'm not her mother... I'm just the partner of her Daddy...
It bothered me even more so, when I knew that DSD was much jealous of my relationship with her Dad. Today, I don't mind explaining, it feels right.

#10 ·
Even though we don't really look alike, sometimes people just assume that when a child is with an adult female, she is their mother.

I don't mind explaining it now, because we've started using the term stepmom even though DF and I are not married yet. But I used to hate having to explain to people that I was DSD's father's girlfriend. Especially when I was pregnant. It just made me uncomfortable (like people were judging, or something).

DF, DSD and I had family pictures taken once, and the whole time the photographer kept referring to me as "Mom," even after we corrected her. That was a little annoying.

#11 ·
Quote:

I used to, but, at my stepdaughter's request, she doesn't want anyone being corrected when they refer of me as her Mom or her as my daughter, unlless they straight out ask why she calls me by my first name. She says it's partly because she's the only one she knows who has a Stepmother and it's partly because she wishes I was her Mom. I'm sure if her Mother knew, she'd flip out and I'm not sure I'd blame her, but I'm at the point now where the only cues I'm gonna take are from my stepdaughter. (Long story I'm not getting into, but no, I'm not trying to "steal" her daughter, her daughter is just finally picking up on the animosity towards me and her Dad that she gets from her Mother.)

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Even though we don't really look alike, sometimes people just assume that when a child is with an adult female, she is their mother.

I don't mind explaining it now, because we've started using the term stepmom even though DF and I are not married yet. But I used to hate having to explain to people that I was DSD's father's girlfriend. Especially when I was pregnant. It just made me uncomfortable (like people were judging, or something).

DF, DSD and I had family pictures taken once, and the whole time the photographer kept referring to me as "Mom," even after we corrected her. That was a little annoying.
Yeah, I hate that regardless. I can't imagine I'll suddenly start appreciating strangers calling me "mom" when I have biological children.

As for people assuming children with you are your kids...I was 25 or so and at a restaurant with my 8yo, 5yo and infant cousins, getting a seat while my uncle parked the car. The hostess at the restaurant assumed they were my kids...and I realized that, had I got pregnant my first time, I would have had an 8-year-old child then, which was scary.

#13 ·
I sometimes find it a bit strange that strangers just automatically assume adults with children must be the parents in this day and age of Soooo many different family situations.

Kind of funny really... My DBF and I were at the card store the other day whining that Hallmark doesn't have enough options for cards... so many were for Mom and Dad... but I didn't see any for Mom and Step-Dad, or any combination/variation thereof...

#15 ·
Quote:

I sometimes find it a bit strange that strangers just automatically assume adults with children must be the parents in this day and age of Soooo many different family situations.

Kind of funny really... My DBF and I were at the card store the other day whining that Hallmark doesn't have enough options for cards... so many were for Mom and Dad... but I didn't see any for Mom and Step-Dad, or any combination/variation thereof...
I found some grown-up "To My Mother and Her Husband" (yes, "her husband") and some generic "To Both of You" but nothing suitable for a child to give.

I also noticed they don't sell "To My Stepkid's Mother"/"To My Partner's Ex-Wife" or "To My Ex-Husband's New Wife" cards either. There has to be a niche market for those somewhere....

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
I found some grown-up "To My Mother and Her Husband" (yes, "her husband") and some generic "To Both of You" but nothing suitable for a child to give.

I also noticed they don't sell "To My Stepkid's Mother"/"To My Partner's Ex-Wife" or "To My Ex-Husband's New Wife" cards either. There has to be a niche market for those somewhere....

lol -- yes, those cards would be great!

"To my boyfriend's ex-one-nighter with whom he had a child"

"To my child's biological father who shows up every few years or so"

"To my daughter's stepmom's stepdad"

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by violet_ View Post
lol -- yes, those cards would be great!

"To my boyfriend's ex-one-nighter with whom he had a child"

"To my child's biological father who shows up every few years or so"

"To my daughter's stepmom's stepdad"

Exactly why I dont think they print those cards! Though I think it would be a lot of fun trying to read the positive messages...

#22 ·
I am not a step mom, but SO's son (5 years old) looks a lot like my son (2 1/2 years old). And so, he is easily mistaken for mine when we are out and about. I just looked at all of his baby pictures this week, and he looked EXACTLY like my ds when he was 2 1/2. In fact, in a lot of the pictures I had to look hard to be able to see that is was his son and not mine. I like that though. I like that people assume he is mine. I just spent two days with him with out my own ds and I loved it.

Here are the pics (scroll down to see them all). Tell me they do not look like brothers and that they both don't look at least a little like me. It is mostly the blond hair and complexion. He really looks just like his dad.

#24 ·
Just today in fact! It was actually from someone who knows she is not my biological child... she said "I don't care, I still think she looks just like you!" All three kids look a lot alike, especially with similar mannerisms, expressions, and phrases they use, so I think that contributes.

I always athought it was a trip when people told me how much I look like my step-mom. One of my favorite memories was being out with my step-mom and a little girl we were babysitting, and someone telling her "oh, your girls are the spitting image of their mother!" I alwasy thought it was a funny little private joke for the two of us.

I tend to say something like "Well, she's a lot cuter than me!" or "I'm surprised you can tell us apart!" (she's 5, so it's funny). She's still young and doesn't know why she wouldn't look like me, so I don't make a big deal out of it. I'll follow her lead when she gets older, but I suspect she will see it the same way I did... since everything is funny in our family!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.