Mothering Forum banner

Nursing Tank Top Question

1K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  indignantgirl 
#1 ·
I stopped wearing bras two years ago and really don't want to spend a ton of money on nursing bras when I hate bras. Before I was pg and during my pg, I wore tank tops with shelf bras. Now, though, my pre-pg tanks are way too tight, my maternity tops are a little tight, and I would really like drop-cup tanks since I already ripped two of my four maternity tops from trying to pull the straps down too quickly.

Anyway, I'm trying to choose between Motherwear and Glamourmom tops. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these? Price isn't as much of an issue to me as something that fits well and is high-quality. Any advice would be awesome. TIA!

#2 ·
I have 3 types of nursing tanks, target, ( hate), motherwear (hate) and walmart ( love) the walmart ones are a thinner material and are the longer in lenghth style thats popular I love them, target are just funny fitting and the motherwear shurnk a lot in lenghth and are very short plus I [ersonally think they are horribly made and offer no support ( I am a DD though)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5359426 only drawback is thats its only black white and gray I want to try glamormom though

hope that helps

#3 ·
motherwear satin & lace cami is mediocre, not sure abt other camis. fit is fine but iopening is awkward. i loooove the target ones but wtf is up w the sizing? the Ls are smaller than my M non-nusing tanks. the XXL fit great, and everywhere else i am comfortably L and can fit M. am sad that target tanks are in laundry and i have to wear the motherwear tonight since i am in love w/the target ones.

eta - this i s the cami i have from mw.

#4 ·
I can't bring myself to shell out for the Glamourmom tanks everyone raves about so I got a black belly band and a couple black nursing bras and wear them together. The belly band covers my belly and it looks like a one piece tank top.

#5 ·
I found a bunch of Glamourmom tanks at a garage sale. I thought it was an uber-score, but then I wore them and remembered that my boobs need way more support than a shelf bra. My personal lack of gravity-defying cleavage aside, they're pretty nice. The cotton is good quality and the clasps are moderately easy to unhook.
I shelled out a bunch of money on an Anita and a Freya nursing bra, and honestly, I prefer the nursing bra I picked up for $12 at target.

#8 ·
I tried a glamour mom tank on when I went shopping a couple weeks ago and the support was terrible for the price they wanted. ($50 I think...)
BUT I am wearing a G cup right now so I think it would be okay if your not quite as large

I have heard a lot of other moms rave about the glamour mom top.

I bought a Medela nursing bra and I am much happier with it than I was with a Bravado...I tried an Anita and it fit terribly!

Why is this nursing bra thing so complicated? And why do the good nursing tanks cost SO MUCH??!!

Not to hijack the thread, but for the mamas using bras from Target, what cup size are you using?

I would love to get a cheap nursing bra that has even OK support...

#9 ·
popping in from jan ddc - i have to rave about glamourmom. I lived in them for 2 years - washed a million times, pulled on/down/stretched and still look as good as the day I bought them. The other brands - motherwear, motherhood, target.... I threw them all out.

I like the new longer tank and the bra top ones when i needed some more support.

#10 ·
Sorry for a stupid question, but why would you even need a nursing tank top?
Is it instead of a nursing bra?
I bought a Medela "Comfort Bra" (love love love it!!!) and it serves my needs.

#11 ·
I wear it instead of a bra and then when I nurse out and about my gut isn't hanging out because I have the cover from the tank.

#12 ·
Love the glamourmom tanks!
can't say enough about them! Really good quality and selection, easy to clasp with one hand. Comfy and not as restricting as a bra.

I use regular tanks with shelf bras for sleeping.

#13 ·
I wear the glamourmom bra tops. If you need a lot of support definitely go with the 'bra top' and not the 'bra tank'. I don't love nursing tanks, because the holes for your nipples never line up with mine, but they are pretty good.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
the holes for your nipples never line up with mine
that's my issue w/the cami i have from motherwear. it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get my nipple out. i have to unhook both left and right sides of the tank, adjust it way down, move my boob around to the nipple opening, and then pull it out... and the fabric pulls weirdly on my boob the whole time!

what i like about the target (gilligan o'malley) ones is that you unhook it and your whole boob is right there, no pulling or anything. i really don't like the extra layer with a nipple cut-out for the MW cami, especially considering that i bought it specifically for nighttime and loathe that extra step at 3 am when m is hungry and i am half asleep.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
motherwear satin & lace cami is mediocre, not sure abt other camis. fit is fine but iopening is awkward. i loooove the target ones but wtf is up w the sizing? the Ls are smaller than my M non-nusing tanks. the XXL fit great, and everywhere else i am comfortably L and can fit M. am sad that target tanks are in laundry and i have to wear the motherwear tonight since i am in love w/the target ones.

eta - this i s the cami i have from mw.
YA THAT WHY i HATE TARGET THE SIZNG IS REALLY SCREWY!

#17 ·
I knew I forgot some important detail! I haven't had the opportunity to get my exact bra size since ds was born, but I'm certain I'm no more than a DD, probably closer to a D cup, so support isn't as big an issue for me as for some of you. It sounds like the Glamourmom tanks will be best for me (though I will have to look into the Bravado ones). Now the issue is figuring out which size to buy. I sure wish a store near me carried these *sigh*

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophi4ka View Post
Sorry for a stupid question, but why would you even need a nursing tank top?
Is it instead of a nursing bra?
Yes, that's exactly it. I don't wear bras at all for a myriad of reasons.

#18 ·
To hide tummy fat I have been wearing a cami or lightweight tank under my shirt, over my bra. When it is time to nurse I just slide the strap from the cami or tank down and pull my boob out of the bra, over the tank. Then the tank hides my tummy!

I am MUCH more worried about my tummy showing than my boob!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I knew I forgot some important detail! I haven't had the opportunity to get my exact bra size since ds was born, but I'm certain I'm no more than a DD, probably closer to a D cup, so support isn't as big an issue for me as for some of you. It sounds like the Glamourmom tanks will be best for me (though I will have to look into the Bravado ones). Now the issue is figuring out which size to buy. I sure wish a store near me carried these *sigh*

Yes, that's exactly it. I don't wear bras at all for a myriad of reasons.
i will throw an xl glamourmom in the mail for you to play with, just pm me.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
iM MORE worried about tummy fat showing when NIP than my boob!

:

totally man. i don't mind people seeing boobage or nipplage, although i try my best to avoid it just for my own comfort... but my belly? NO WAY. it's covered in stretch marks and hairy and hangs over even my maternity jeans. not like i have a low self-esteem, 'cause i still look bangin' when i'm dressed and all, but that doesn't mean i want people to see my gut.

#22 ·
I have a love/hate relationship with my nursing tanks. I love them once I get them on, but really despising pulling them over my head and trying to get them over my boobs (and my boobs are little...fully engorged I *might* be a C). I like my Target one better than GlamorMom...it's probably a size too small, but it's wearable. I don't like the clasps on it (I can't refasten them one handed) and the nipple hole is too small or awkwardly positioned or something. It's also a little short. I'd be terribly disappointed in it if I had paid full price. The Target one fits much better (but is no easier to get on)

Christa

#23 ·
I love my nursing tanks from target - I've been nursing my daughter for 2 years and I JUST got a couple.. I'm sad that i've lived without for so long! I don't wear an additional bra.. the nursing tank is supportive enough, and I am rather large breasted.. esp now that I'm 6 weeks pregnant!

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bumblebeej View Post
i will throw an xl glamourmom in the mail for you to play with, just pm me.
Ooh, that would be great, though I'm pretty sure an XL will be too big (I was trying to choose between a M and L). I will PM you later this afternoon. We are on our way to a playgroup soon.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
iM MORE worried about tummy fat showing when NIP than my boob!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
:

totally man. i don't mind people seeing boobage or nipplage, although i try my best to avoid it just for my own comfort... but my belly? NO WAY. it's covered in stretch marks and hairy and hangs over even my maternity jeans. not like i have a low self-esteem, 'cause i still look bangin' when i'm dressed and all, but that doesn't mean i want people to see my gut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
To hide tummy fat I have been wearing a cami or lightweight tank under my shirt, over my bra. When it is time to nurse I just slide the strap from the cami or tank down and pull my boob out of the bra, over the tank. Then the tank hides my tummy!

I am MUCH more worried about my tummy showing than my boob!

My exact reasoning as well. Anyone can take a look at my boobs, they are pretty nice if I do say so myself, but my belly is beyond horrific and would scare someone if they saw it.

#26 ·
I have to put out a plug for the blue canoe (www.bluecanoe.com) Jane bra.

It is very un-bralike, so you might give it a try....i just got mine today, and ohhhhhhh my HECK!!!! it is so comfortable! I didn't realize how UNcomfortable my other yoga bra was, until I put this one on!!

I may never take it off....i need to order another one quick, before i am forced to take this one off to launder it, lol!

Here's the one I got. (and the atlantic blue is gorgeous!) I'm a DD at least, and it fits great, feels very supportive AND comfy!! Not super supportive (I couldn't jog in it!), but definitely plenty supportive and shapely for everyday. The only possible downside might be coverage--it is a full back and fairly wide straps, so it wouldn't work well under more revealing tops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.