Mothering Forum banner

APRIL 2007 Mamas - It's February Already?

16K views 716 replies 27 participants last post by  MaxiMom 
#1 ·
Yowza, it's time for a new thread! Sweet Scarlet is sleeping and Max is watching Bob the Builder
:, now I can sweep the floor!

Max turns 4 this month, can't believe it.

See less See more
#408 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
One last thing before I sign off too- any other nursers out there whos nursee is rather 'rude' while she dines? Evangeline loves to play with my hair, pull or stroke my bangs, or just finger my ponytail. If I'm wearing earings she likes to play with them too. That's fine. But if I'm looking the wrong way, or she wants to turn my head she'll grab my face, push it roughly, pinch me or scratch at me or hit me until I do turn the way she wants. I suppose I've 'allowed' it by often bending so she can pull my bangs. But the last few times I've gotten so fed up with her pinching my face (she obviously doesn't know) that I've grabbed her hand and just held it firmly by her side. She looks at me out of the corner of her eye, like...what?
Oh, two last things. Diaper changes. Hell? She cries every time. She will not lay still for a second, rolling over and sitting up immediately. No distractions work, not toys, songs, someone else. It's a fight every time. Changing her sitting up? Ya right. Bare bum for the rest of the day- getting closer!! (then what would I do with all my pretty dipes??
)

Ok- I'm gone!!!
goodnight!!
Johnny is a little "rude" while nursing also (unless he's very sleepy) he turns my head wherever he wants it (usually that means back and forth back and forth while he laughs) and he is biting. I honestly think he is doing it on purpose now because he will pop on and off gently touching his teeth to my nipple a couple times and give me a certain "look" and then he will bite down hard and pull his head back.
: I am usually able to get him off now before he bites hard, but before I recognized the pattern it was awful! I think it is a teething thing though he always seems to bite and/or rub his teeth more when he is cutting a tooth and yesterday his gum was bleeding a bit where it has been swollen (for 3-4mos) looking like a tooth is trying to come in. At least he hasn't starting puking like he did when he cut his other teeth.

Are any of yours hitting and biting when they are mad? Our pediatrician said to close his mouth with my hand or hold his hand to his side and say "no bite" or "no hit" and then distract him with another activity but sometimes he is so set on what he wants he can't be distracted at all...then I feel bad because a lot of times I end up letting him lay on the floor until his little fit is over, hug him and then he is willing to be distracted.

Diaper changes? I think when I am around other people they must think I'm abusing my child! I have to literally use my leg to hold him in place and he screams the whole time. He does love nakey time though!!! I usually let him have nakey time after his bath (he sits in the tub while I shower) while I am getting dressed etc...he just loves it! Which reminds me that I really want to start EC again...we've taken a bit of a break because I was being lazy and he wasn't enjoying sitting still but we might have another go at it and see if it works again.

#409 ·
I cut my hair last week so it really isn't long enough now for Sophia to reach. Othrrwise she was pulling on it. She likes to pinch my breast while she nurses. I hold her hand then. She's been better about that lately because she has been having her blanket up next to her instead.

We stuggled with diaper changes. It's been a bit better lately. She gets to hold onto non-toys. My magazine, the tylenol dropper, diapercream box. That helps. I try to get her to look out the window when we're using the changing table.

#410 ·
Quote:

One last thing before I sign off too- any other nursers out there whos nursee is rather 'rude' while she dines? Evangeline loves to play with my hair, pull or stroke my bangs, or just finger my ponytail. If I'm wearing earings she likes to play with them too. That's fine. But if I'm looking the wrong way, or she wants to turn my head she'll grab my face, push it roughly, pinch me or scratch at me or hit me until I do turn the way she wants. I suppose I've 'allowed' it by often bending so she can pull my bangs. But the last few times I've gotten so fed up with her pinching my face (she obviously doesn't know) that I've grabbed her hand and just held it firmly by her side. She looks at me out of the corner of her eye, like...what?
Oh, two last things. Diaper changes. Hell? She cries every time. She will not lay still for a second, rolling over and sitting up immediately. No distractions work, not toys, songs, someone else. It's a fight every time. Changing her sitting up? Ya right. Bare bum for the rest of the day- getting closer!! (then what would I do with all my pretty dipes??
)

Ok- I'm gone!!!
goodnight!!
Oh yes Desmond is a pain when he nurses sometimes, he loves playing with his foot and kicking me, or pinching my boob. And if I'm not paying enough attention he'll pop off and pinch the nipple and look at me like, watch me eat Mommy.

As for diaper changes, except for poop, I change him while he is cruising, or sitting on my lap these days, since he won't stay still to change any other way. It just makes my life so much easier that way.

#411 ·
So he went to bed at 11:30 last night yay! (Saturday night he didn't get to bed till 1am, but that was more because we were out then anything). He did however wake up at 6:30am, ugh. Fortunately DH is home today and got up with him. So I got to sleep for 5 uninterrupted hours after he left the bed (since he had been up every hour to nurse before that it was so nice). He apparently napped on the floor some, played, went on a walk with DH and the dog and napped a bit more, before getting whiny because he was hungry right when I came down. He's napping on my lap now.

So other then the 6:30am wake up it was a good night.

#412 ·
Our apartment has a circle (meaning the rooms connect in such a way that you can walk a full circle: dining room-kitchen-laundry room-baby room-master room) and Johnny can crawl that circle endlessly without getting bored so I thought that was what he was doing while I was folding laundry on my bed - but I realized he was probably too quite (lol he cannot resist emptying the bottom shelf of the pantry once he reaches the kitchen), he's also pretty good about coming back when I call "come to mama" and he didn't come back. Sure enough, he was in the laundry room and had managed to take the lid off the laundry detergent and was sucking on the spout (luckily it is almost empty so I don't think he consumed any, and he did not turn it over so it didn't spill). I just can't believe he was able to open it though!

Oh, and Johnny always wants to drink from my water bottle, so I thought I would be clever and get him his own (he loves it!) but it's sippy spout is so soft it looks like a baby bottle for milk and so I totally don't like leting him use it in public because I think it looks like I bottle feed my kid!

Ok- I just heard him shut himself in the bathroom - off to the "Rescue"

#413 ·
Quote:

related but not- my sis picked out a girls' name, and I love it: Saffron Eden.
Oh I love it!

Quote:

Ok- I just found out that photobucket deleted on of my photos of a painting I was working on of birth- because it showed a boob! Holy censorship!
Poopfaces
I snooped at your photos and oh my goodness Eva is looking so so grown and beautiful. It's a good thing you're a painter because so many of your family's photos just look like they need to be painted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kewpie-o View Post
I've been lurking a little here and there, but I never have time to sit down and post.
Great to 'see' you

Quote:

Sigh. I should go down and see Axel, because I'm sure he's peed the bed by now- insisting that he wouldn't and didn't need the pull up tonight. It was Monday night when I was at the movie when he said to Chad, 'daddy, I am a big boy now, and I don't need my pull up tonight. I won't pee, I promise' Big sucker was convinced. Of course it was me who woke him up, stripped his bed and changed his sopping clothes at 1am. I think I already shared that. My sr title should be 'brain left with placenta'.
A
Would he consent to sleeping on a bed pad? It saved me a ton of work in the night when I cared for the elders and it was often easier than convincing him to put on a diaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Just finished our belated Valentine's meal... Dh prepared fondue and it was soooo yummy!! We even had a little "date" beforehand
It had been a long time!! So we had a great weekend
:

Romi is so crusty and gross from the cold, she won't let me get anywhere near her nose, poor thing. But she's a trooper! Speaking of eating, she started off on solids with a vengeance but has turned into a real picky eater. She refuses a lot of the veggies/fruits and prefers bread
: Her fave is raisin bread toasted.
Sounds like a lovely evening.
Hope Romi is feeling better !

Quote:

)

Ok- I'm gone!!!
goodnight!!
Diaper changes and nursing is a huge battle here. That's why I'm all bruised scratched

#416 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post
: YUMMMM Now I want some too...
come on over, I got enough for 3 more rolls and we are stuffed

my house is a circle too and each room has at least 2 doors in and out which come in handy for rescuing babies who shut you out

#419 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanno View Post
sushi for dinner

Mmmmm! Sounds so good to me right now!

Any other babies want nothing to do with water? We've tried sippy cups and regular cups. And she just makes a funky face and spits it out if she gets any in her mouth.

Scout's new fave food is egg yolks. I swear - if I let her, she probably just keep eating and eating them. I wonder how much is TOO much, kwim? Right now, she's averaging 1-2 a day, but I'm sure she would eat more than that if I allowed it.

Oops - she wants me to crawl around on the floor with her - better go

#420 ·
Happy Family Day everyone! (Axel called around today and said, 'happy famiwy day! happy fwiends day!)

Quote:

Are any of yours hitting and biting when they are mad? Our pediatrician said to close his mouth with my hand or hold his hand to his side and say "no bite" or "no hit" and then distract him with another activity but sometimes he is so set on what he wants he can't be distracted at all...then I feel bad because a lot of times I end up letting him lay on the floor until his little fit is over, hug him and then he is willing to be distracted.

Diaper changes? I think when I am around other people they must think I'm abusing my child! I have to literally use my leg to hold him in place and he screams the whole time. .
Not hitting, but she definately is having fits. It's funny when she obviously doesn't want her soother and someone tries to give it anyway, she waves it away or grabs it, waves it around, and just chucks it, all the while screwing up her face and crying.
Glad it's not just me/us with the diaper fights!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
Oh yes Desmond is a pain when he nurses sometimes, he loves playing with his foot and kicking me, or pinching my boob. And if I'm not paying enough attention he'll pop off and pinch the nipple and look at me like, watch me eat Mommy.

As for diaper changes, except for poop, I change him while he is cruising, or sitting on my lap these days, since he won't stay still to change any other way. It just makes my life so much easier that way.
, that's cute. I don't know how you can change him in your lap or on the move though- you must have easy diapers!

Quote:

Sure enough, he was in the laundry room and had managed to take the lid off the laundry detergent and was sucking on the spout (luckily it is almost empty so I don't think he consumed any, and he did not turn it over so it didn't spill). I just can't believe he was able to open it though!
Whew, glad he didn't get any! They always find trouble, though, don't they? You're going to have one just like Axel- they manage to find disasters- must be magnetic! 'Bedlam boys'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanno View Post
Oh I love it!

Poopfaces
I snooped at your photos and oh my goodness Eva is looking so so grown and beautiful. It's a good thing you're a painter because so many of your family's photos just look like they need to be painted.

Would he consent to sleeping on a bed pad? It saved me a ton of work in the night when I cared for the elders and it was often easier than convincing him to put on a diaper.

Diaper changes and nursing is a huge battle here. That's why I'm all bruised scratched

Thanks!
That's how I feel too- and I feel like I'm lucky to be able to preserve my babies.
What do you mean about the bed pad though? What is is and where could I get it? It seems like it would be useful for the 'night training'.

Quote:

Oops - she wants me to crawl around on the floor with her - better go

Aww! What a nice mama you are!

#421 ·
Kewpie-o- I just read some of your blog! So funny- you know, about the stuffed animals- that was so cute, I would have never in my LIFE thought to buy more than one! And if I had thought of it, I would have said oh well!
Too funny. How's the sleeping going? You posted about that too. She's so cute and big looking! And in what position did you get her to sleep in the sling?? I haven't used mine in the longest time- I just use my babyhawk on my back.
A

#422 ·
Queen- these
I know it's a cheesy store but those work well be cause they tuck in and stand up to squirming in bed. I also made the bed multiple times 'homebirth' style so I could just tear off a layer and get them back in bed. Please don't think I'm rude for comparing elders to toddlers-- there are some similarities.

#423 ·
Thanks! not rude at all- same problem!

So- they protect the mattress and the sheets? So if they pee- it protects the sheets underneath from having to be stripped all off in the middle of the night- you just remove the pad and wash it? Ok, I get it!
A

#424 ·
Quote:

Thanks! not rude at all- same problem!

So- they protect the mattress and the sheets? So if they pee- it protects the sheets underneath from having to be stripped all off in the middle of the night- you just remove the pad and wash it? Ok, I get it!
A
like the bed is wearing a diaper and not the 'big boy'

#425 ·
Quote:

Happy Family Day everyone! (Axel called around today and said, 'happy famiwy day! happy fwiends day!)
Awe - that's funny
We need to see a video of Axel so we can hear his cute voice.

Quote:

I have to put Eva down and I;m pretty sure she's sleeping in a wet poopy diaper, poor thing. Sometimes dh's are pretty useless
ITA! If I leave the house while Scout is napping, I have to specifically tell DH to change her diaper when she gets up. I just don't understand why he wouldn't think to do it on his own. Seems like common sense to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
So he went to bed at 11:30 last night yay! (Saturday night he didn't get to bed till 1am, but that was more because we were out then anything). He did however wake up at 6:30am, ugh. Fortunately DH is home today and got up with him. So I got to sleep for 5 uninterrupted hours after he left the bed (since he had been up every hour to nurse before that it was so nice). He apparently napped on the floor some, played, went on a walk with DH and the dog and napped a bit more, before getting whiny because he was hungry right when I came down. He's napping on my lap now.

So other then the 6:30am wake up it was a good night.
Glad you got some rest, momma!! You really deserve it!

Quote:

Johnny is a little "rude" while nursing also (unless he's very sleepy) he turns my head wherever he wants it (usually that means back and forth back and forth while he laughs) and he is biting. I honestly think he is doing it on purpose now because he will pop on and off gently touching his teeth to my nipple a couple times and give me a certain "look" and then he will bite down hard and pull his head back.
: I am usually able to get him off now before he bites hard, but before I recognized the pattern it was awful! I think it is a teething thing though he always seems to bite and/or rub his teeth more when he is cutting a tooth and yesterday his gum was bleeding a bit where it has been swollen (for 3-4mos) looking like a tooth is trying to come in. At least he hasn't starting puking like he did when he cut his other teeth.

Diaper changes? I think when I am around other people they must think I'm abusing my child! I have to literally use my leg to hold him in place and he screams the whole time. He does love nakey time though!!! I usually let him have nakey time after his bath (he sits in the tub while I shower) while I am getting dressed etc...he just loves it! Which reminds me that I really want to start EC again...we've taken a bit of a break because I was being lazy and he wasn't enjoying sitting still but we might have another go at it and see if it works again.
Scout is mean to mommy while she nurses sometimes too. She pinches my boob super hard. Sometimes she grabs a handful and pinches, but the WORST is when she just pinches a teeny bit of my skin with her fingernails. Oh my gosh. It makes me want to scream.

Re: Fits...she's been having little tantrums where she'll arch her back and throw herself backwards, but she hasn't hit or bitten while she was mad yet. She HAS bitten me a few times out of curiosity, though. (I'm talking about in addition to the boob biting, which still happens every now and then
Last week I was on my knees, kneeling at my computer desk (half playing in the floor with her / half reading blogs
and she came up behind me and bit my ahem...love handle (or whatever you wanna call it...DH and I call them "muffin tops"
that was oozing over the top of my jeans.
Yowza, that hurt!!

Re: dipe changes. Yep - she usually puts up a fight. I have to give her something REALLY interesting to get her to calm down, and that only lasts a few seconds. She's very very picky about HOW I lay her down to change her. The whole mood of the diaper change hinges on whether or not I laid her down just right. Like, I have to be super gentle and SLOW about it, or she flips out. Not that I am rough any other time, but I guess if I lay her down quickly it catches her off guard or something. What a weirdo.

Quote:

How our your LOs eating? I am worried that Johnny could be overeating. He really seems hungry if he doesn't get solids, and he does hit a point when he will stop eating - but sometimes he eats way more than I think he should eat. He is also getting picky about what foods he likes and what he doesn't like..our pediatrician said not to worry if he is eating "balanced" meals, but I still feel like he should have a reasonably well rounded diet. I do NOT think he is breastfeeding any less though luckily, so I guess I shouldn't be over concerned. I just worry about him getting eating disorders or something later in life or becoming obese or something...I'm probably being a totally irrational first time mom though!

I worry about the same things. Scout eats so much more than what I would think could fit in her little belly sometimes.

#426 ·
Quote:

Kewpie-o- I just read some of your blog! So funny- you know, about the stuffed animals- that was so cute, I would have never in my LIFE thought to buy more than one! And if I had thought of it, I would have said oh well!
Too funny. How's the sleeping going? You posted about that too. She's so cute and big looking! And in what position did you get her to sleep in the sling?? I haven't used mine in the longest time- I just use my babyhawk on my back.
A
hee hee - feel like a loser for buying all those stuffed dogs now, because she isn't showing much interest in it anymore. I'm a dummy. DH is never gonna let me live it down. I guess that's okay, though. I'd rather something that is quality and homemade become her lovey instead of a cheapo soul-less toy, anyway.

re: sleeping ....I feel reluctant to say it, but sleep is going great right now. She has been going to bed anywhere from 8:30-11:00 (depending on what her nap schedule was like during the day) and she's been sleeping for sometimes 6-8 hours straight! (without even waking to nurse
If she wakes up after 6 hours, I'll nurse her and she'll *usually* go right back to sleep without putting up too much of a fight and stay asleep for another couple of hours. I'm loving it and I HOPE it's not just a short phase. (knocking on wood)

When she falls asleep in the sling, she's usually kind of on my hip and she just lays her head on my chest. I have to support her head with one hand after she falls asleep, though, or else it'll bobble around and slide down and hit the rings. I wish I could get away with laying her down after she falls asleep in the sling without waking her up, but she always wakes up a little and I have to nurse her back to sleep. But by that point, she's is pretty out of it and I don't have to lay there and nurse her for very long before she's out again.

#427 ·
Quote:

hee hee - feel like a loser for buying all those stuffed dogs now, because she isn't showing much interest in it anymore. I'm a dummy. DH is never gonna let me live it down. I guess that's okay, though. I'd rather something that is quality and homemade become her lovey instead of a cheapo soul-less toy, anyway.
Agreed! So cute of you, though- and don't feel foolish

re: sleeping ....I feel reluctant to say it, but sleep is going great right now. She has been going to bed anywhere from 8:30-11:00 (depending on what her nap schedule was like during the day) and she's been sleeping for sometimes 6-8 hours straight! (without even waking to nurse
If she wakes up after 6 hours, I'll nurse her and she'll *usually* go right back to sleep without putting up too much of a fight and stay asleep for another couple of hours. I'm loving it and I HOPE it's not just a short phase. (knocking on wood)
That's so great! Yay Scout! Don't you just feel GOOD?? Eva's on her way here too- some nights she'll sleep from 11-11:30 till 7, other times wakes at 5 but goes back down after nursing. the odd night she'll be up more often though.
When she falls asleep in the sling, she's usually kind of on my hip and she just lays her head on my chest. I have to support her head with one hand after she falls asleep, though, or else it'll bobble around and slide down and hit the rings. I wish I could get away with laying her down after she falls asleep in the sling without waking her up, but she always wakes up a little and I have to nurse her back to sleep. But by that point, she's is pretty out of it and I don't have to lay there and nurse her for very long before she's out again.

I see!

Good morning girls!
A

#428 ·
Quote:

I worry about the same things. Scout eats so much more than what I would think could fit in her little belly sometimes.
Desmond ate a whole bowl of baked potato soup on Saturday, I am sometimes shocked at how much he can eat, the other times he eat next to nothing and is just as happy. I figure since he's feeding himself he knows when he is done. It is still shocking the times when he eats more then I do at a meal though, since he is so small.

#429 ·
Micah is not eating much at all! I have been vascilating between worried about his weight and being firm about my method of feeding him (self-feeding). He seems to have three foods that he is really interested in right now and that is it! -- corn on the cob, apple, and bread -- And, I don't think he actually ingests very much of any of them. He only gained 3 oz. last month and only 13 oz the previous 3 mos. Plus, he still hasn't doubled his birth weight! I have tried to spoon feed him spoonable foods like mashed potatoes or baked sweet potato or something similar, but he acts like I am trying to poison him and clamps his mouth shut.
I I offer him all kinds of foods -- foods that he LOVED when I first introduced them. I am just losing my confidence...

More for my benefit (so that it is all in one place...), but these have been his weights...

birth: 9 - 4
1 mo: 10 - 15
2 mo: 13 - 2
3 mo: 14 - 3
4 mo: 15 - 4
6 mo: 16 -3
9 mo: 17 - 0
10 mo: 17 - 3
11 mo: 17 - 10
12 mo: 18 - 3
13 mo: 17 - 13
14 mo: 18 - 12

#430 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
Micah is not eating much at all! I have been vascilating between worried about his weight and being firm about my method of feeding him (self-feeding). He seems to have three foods that he is really interested in right now and that is it! -- corn on the cob, apple, and bread -- And, I don't think he actually ingests very much of any of them. He only gained 3 oz. last month and only 13 oz the previous 3 mos. Plus, he still hasn't doubled his birth weight! I have tried to spoon feed him spoonable foods like mashed potatoes or baked sweet potato or something similar, but he acts like I am trying to poison him and clamps his mouth shut.
I I offer him all kinds of foods -- foods that he LOVED when I first introduced them. I am just losing my confidence...

More for my benefit (so that it is all in one place...), but these have been his weights...

birth: 9 - 4
1 mo: 10 - 15
2 mo: 13 - 2
3 mo: 14 - 3
4 mo: 15 - 4
6 mo: 16 -3
9 mo: 17 - 0
10 mo: 17 - 3
We sit in the same boat on this issue. Ion was 16 lbs even at 9 months. The more I try to feed him, the more he pitches it on the floor or hands it to the dog- like he can sense my stress. If I let him be, he'll eat more. Last night he ate 2 slices of sushi (without wasabi, of course) and he'll eat an entire pear or kiwi and half a banana or apple. He pees at least 12 times a day and poops 3-4.
I think we just have small kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.