Mothering Forum banner

Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!

74K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  maxmama 
#1 ·
Our other thread was really getting long and I thought maybe it'd be good to start a new one... appropriately on New Years Day 2008!

This year will be full of wonder for all of us, Dear Ones- I can just feel it!

May your studies progress most appropriately to completion with ease, may your eyes see clearly, may your hands touch gently, may your trust in birth bring comfort and support to the women, babies, and families you will touch this year.

J.

See less See more
#352 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by touka View Post

I have so many other thoughts that I've been struggling with recently, particularly in relation to birth and birth choices and coming to terms with being a complete hypocrite when it comes to criticisms of birth choices. I know that we all feel very strongly about what's "best" for Mom/Baby, but how can we rightly try to restrict one person's choice because it's "risky" while forcing them to accept ours - which they view as equally, if not more "risky"?

I think as midwives, part of what we bring is professional judgment and experience that mothers do not have. We've seen so many births and done so much research. If there's no value to our professional judgment, why have a midwife at all? Why are we providing a service with no value? That doesn't scan, of course, because clinical judgment has value. No one's saying women should be "forced" to do what we think is best. But I think it's reasonable to encourage or recommend one choice over another, assuming there is actually a benefit to the recommended option.

#353 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
I think as midwives, part of what we bring is professional judgment and experience that mothers do not have. We've seen so many births and done so much research. If there's no value to our professional judgment, why have a midwife at all? Why are we providing a service with no value? That doesn't scan, of course, because clinical judgment has value. No one's saying women should be "forced" to do what we think is best. But I think it's reasonable to encourage or recommend one choice over another, assuming there is actually a benefit to the recommended option.
Yes, of course there's a reason why a family would choose to have a care provider and what that care provider brings to the table has immense value for that family.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on what I meant about choices. I was speaking of the irate criticism of various choices that happens on both sides of the childbirth "debate". This came up because of a conversation (that I did not participate in) over a celebrity's recent birth method and reasoning for that method. The same hypocrisy that ACOG is accused of in their "support" of birth "choices" is displayed in very bright shining colors by the Homebirth/Natural birth side of the aisle too (and I am fully guilty of it myself, which is why I'm questioning myself).

How can we sit here and rant and rave about acceptable risk for one methodology and then turn around and soundly denounce a woman for coming to a different conclusion for herself?

We can't ask for our choices, and our risks, to be accepted and supported and fought for if we can't find a way to do the same for other people.

I keep coming back to that old poem:

First they came for _________
But I didn't speak up because I wasn't _________
And then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me.

Kneelingwoman has a wonderful post today about Midwifery and the mainstream.

#354 ·
Thanks for all the class suggestions. I'm definitely going to look into those and see what's available in my area.

RE the sonography: I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think I'm apposed to routine ultrasounds, but I think that there's a time and a place for them. I do think it could be an interesting and fulfilling job. It also might be nice to give women the option to have their ultrasound (if they so choose) in my office instead of going to the hospital. Here the local hospital really sucks at doing ultrasounds. If you want a good one you have to go to the huge teaching hospital (Dartmouth-Hitchcock) an hour and a half away. I'm also very interested in phlebotomy too... Right now, going to classes isn't very feasible, I'm just thinking about where I want my education to head.

So I went with my preceptor last night to Boston. There was a meeting discussing basically the Big Push For Midwives. The Mass Coalition for Midwives is a very interesting organization. It has three branches working together: CNMs, CPMs and consumers. They are working on legislation. I brought the paperwork home. I haven't read it yet. There was a panel of 4 CNMs, 1 CPM, 1 OB and Tina Cassidy (author of Birth: the surprising history of how we are born.) It was quite interesting. It was really neat to see CNMs and CPMs working together. I'm going to read the legislation and see what regulations they are working for. Right now, CPMs aren't regulated in Mass.

I still don't really know what the status of my apprenticeship is. Hopefully I'll get to start doing more soon.

Have a wonderful day!

#355 ·
thanks for the link to kneelingwoman's blog. i appreciate what she had to say...and especially resonated with this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kneelingwoman
How can we convince women that we offer safe, compassionate, one-to-one care if we only want to deal with women who are choosing from the "approved" menu? I've learned that I can "midwife" women who elect a caesarian section because being "with woman" means that I am with her; alongside, not above. I am not there to make her choices for her nor is it in any way respectful for me to start with the assumption that such a woman simply doesn't understand what she's choosing or she would, of course, choose differently. But that woman may meet me and find out what I do and accept an offer of "birth companionship", of being with her prenatally as a support person and, possibly, a birth and parenting educator and she may end up making a different choice--or she may stick with her choice with more confidence and strength knowing that she has made her own best decision and that someone is willing to help her achieve her goals with integrity and emotional safety. Good mothering has everything to do with the woman having an intact sense of self and a belief that she can make good and wise choices for herself and her child. We can't always know what's going into a woman's birth choices; there are many, and varied reasons why women decide on home or hospital or c section or epidural or breast or bottle! What makes for good and healthy mothering is NOT a set of "shoulds" from Mothering Magazine OR Parenting.com ( or Midwife or Physician ) but by the careful, calm and balanced evaluation of the real needs of this woman, baby and family at this time in their lives.
and

Quote:
Who "catches" the baby is not nearly so important as who cares for the birthing family holistically. Midwives can always provide some form of supportive care for every birthing family and we would be further ahead, as a Professsion, to stop looking out only for our small piece of the home birth pie and instead, look to see how we can work to serve all birthing families; especially those who may need us most. We need to see these women; hear their stories and understand what these families need. We have made them invisible; we spend no time learning about them--we have "risked them out" of our care.
as an ayurvedic practitioner who plans to study midwifery as a crucial component of a complete holistic healthcare practice this that she speaks to above is very important to me as well. i truly believe in the importance of meeting people where they are at, offering what my research and experience has proven to be the best options, and appreciating and honoring their individual choices.

Quote:
Midwife means "with woman"; wherever they are, however they are.
on a personal note, i've figured out where to begin this journey. i was feeling a pull to begin apprenticing, but have a 6 week old...so i must honor this sacred time. so yesterday, at our 6 week app't with our midwife she mentioned that if i was interested she'd start up a class once every 2 weeks, beginning next month...so i could get into the groove and still have our little blessing right at my side. it feels like the perfect beginning, beginning this new journey of the heart with our newest spark of light, faith
, right there with me.

our midwife is also having a showing for the community of BoBB in 2 weeks, and i'm very much looking forward to this! the other local homebirth midwife, a local supportive rn, the local holistic md, two local chiropractors, many various alternative healthcare professionals, lots of mamas and babies...should be a wonderful afternoon!

#357 ·
Posting to my own post here.....

Do you think the cold saved this baby? A lot of times, doctors will lower a premature infant's body temperature to lessen the chances of brain damage. The baby seems to have quite a bit of bruising around the chest. I have to wonder though.... How did the baby detatch from the cord? (Mother? From the fall?) How did the baby not bleed out? (again, maybe from the cold?) Did the baby "really" fall through the toilet...was she hoping for a different outcome? I'm kind of interested in this story and to hear the answers they come up with. One thing is for sure...that baby is really lucky to be alive!

#360 ·
hey reha (are you, by any chance, the famous lennon, apprentice of the also famous pam? if so, I've heard awesome things about you both!)! are you going to be at the OMC workshop tomorrow in portland? i'm planning on showing up around lunch time
i'm so excited to meet local birth folks! i hope to see you there!

#362 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 636Jen View Post
Posting to my own post here.....

Do you think the cold saved this baby? A lot of times, doctors will lower a premature infant's body temperature to lessen the chances of brain damage. The baby seems to have quite a bit of bruising around the chest. I have to wonder though.... How did the baby detatch from the cord? (Mother? From the fall?) How did the baby not bleed out? (again, maybe from the cold?) Did the baby "really" fall through the toilet...was she hoping for a different outcome? I'm kind of interested in this story and to hear the answers they come up with. One thing is for sure...that baby is really lucky to be alive!

i'm imagining the mama passed out (as noted in the article) during the birth and the placenta was birthed in that time period - so it fell out with the baby and remained attached.

#363 ·
I am feeling way overwhelmed again. I think I need a hug.

Does anyone else feel like they used to be much smarter than they are now? I mean, really! School used to come very easily to me and now I feel like my brain retains NOTHING! And I am feeling so pulled in so many directions right at this moment that my brain is just tired and done and wants to think about anything other than birth and babies and breastfeeding and childcare, but I can't stop thinking and trying to learn all this stuff.

Sometimes I do wonder if I am going in the right directions (99.99% of the time I KNOW I am). Why take on a job with such a huge responsibility? I could work as a barista for my entire life, if I forget how to make a chai latte, no one will die or be hurt. I make a mean mocha. I could go to work everyday, make some coffee, go home, play with the kids, read a good book, and that would be that. I would probably make more money too
I just find myself wondering why I am on this path and yet totally understanding why I am here as well. Am I the only one who ever thinks like this?

#364 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
Sometimes I do wonder if I am going in the right directions (99.99% of the time I KNOW I am). Why take on a job with such a huge responsibility? I could work as a barista for my entire life, if I forget how to make a chai latte, no one will die or be hurt. I make a mean mocha. I could go to work everyday, make some coffee, go home, play with the kids, read a good book, and that would be that. I would probably make more money too
I just find myself wondering why I am on this path and yet totally understanding why I am here as well. Am I the only one who ever thinks like this?
I totally feel this way too. Also about 0.01% of the time.
But, I know what you mean. The thing that convinces me that I am absolutely on the right path: I can't imagine NOT doing this work. It feels right, even when I feel overwhelmed and rather stupid for choosing this lifestyle. I know that even if I take a break, I will be coming back for more.

#365 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I totally feel this way too. Also about 0.01% of the time.
But, I know what you mean. The thing that convinces me that I am absolutely on the right path: I can't imagine NOT doing this work. It feels right, even when I feel overwhelmed and rather stupid for choosing this lifestyle. I know that even if I take a break, I will be coming back for more.

ITA with both of you. It's a huge responsibility and hard work, but it is so important to me. It is me.

#366 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pittnurse08 View Post
hey reha (are you, by any chance, the famous lennon, apprentice of the also famous pam? if so, I've heard awesome things about you both!)! are you going to be at the OMC workshop tomorrow in portland? i'm planning on showing up around lunch time
i'm so excited to meet local birth folks! i hope to see you there!
Rachel, it was so nice to get to meet you today! I'm glad that you were able to come.
I hope that we do manage to hook up a few times for coffee sometime soon.

#367 ·
thanx, lennon! it was awesome meeting you and pamela also (it felt like i was meeting mini-celebrities since i've heard so much about you both over the past couple of years!).
: i was really nervous going there without knowing anyone and probably blathered on like an idiot, but i enjoyed myself nonetheless! it was definitely a nice change to be surrounded by women who are as passionate about birth as i am
would it be ok for me to pm or email you as i think of questions about this whole journey to becoming a midwife?

#368 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwings640 View Post
I am feeling way overwhelmed again. I think I need a hug.

Does anyone else feel like they used to be much smarter than they are now? I mean, really! School used to come very easily to me and now I feel like my brain retains NOTHING! And I am feeling so pulled in so many directions right at this moment that my brain is just tired and done and wants to think about anything other than birth and babies and breastfeeding and childcare, but I can't stop thinking and trying to learn all this stuff.

Wow, you've gotten into my brain and articulated my thoughts so well
I absolutely go through periods like this...in a big one right now. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with the endless "to do's" that will get us to our destination, and the moments of "do I even want to get to that destination?!?" are sure to follow! Of course, along comes a great birth or a prenatal visit where you feel like you have really helped someone and all of those doubts are silenced again. I wonder if midwives ever stop having these moments of why am I doing this anyway?

#369 ·
wow thanks for linking to that story about the baby in india. I wish there would have been details like what happened with the cord and placenta.
I suppose most people wouldn't even think about that, but to me it's the most obvious and interesting detail!

#370 ·
Hi Ladies! One of my closest friends just found out that she is pregnant with her first child. I am so excited for her and would like to give her a book that will help her through this journey. I was thinking of Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth, but I also thought of Heart and Hands. She is pretty mainstream and her (much to my horror) OB already suggested that she plan an induction since he will be on vacation on her due date. The nerve! I sort of balked at that and said that it didn't matter if he was on vacation as he would probably only walk in the room once she is crowning anyway. I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...
Anyway, I want to give her a book that might plant some seeds about more natural childbirth and hoped you all might have a suggestion....

Thanks!

#371 ·
Hi CNM2B! I would highly recommend "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. It clearly states the scientific data regarding various interventions and their true risks/benefits. I loooove Ina May, but she might seem too "out there" for someone who already has a pretty mainstream point of view. I also love "Hearts & Hands" (re-reading it now actually!), but the wealth of information in it might be overwhelming for some moms. You know your friend best, so take this advice with a grain of salt

#372 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wittyone View Post
Wow, you've gotten into my brain and articulated my thoughts so well
I absolutely go through periods like this...in a big one right now. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with the endless "to do's" that will get us to our destination, and the moments of "do I even want to get to that destination?!?" are sure to follow! Of course, along comes a great birth or a prenatal visit where you feel like you have really helped someone and all of those doubts are silenced again. I wonder if midwives ever stop having these moments of why am I doing this anyway?
You are so right with the work to get to the destination and then suddenly I start to think about it and really think hard and I start to worry about what it will be like when I actually get there. It is a big deal! There is so much responsibility. And yet, I can't talk myself out of it... I tried a few years ago and put off my studies and thought instead my husband and I would work towards opening a coffee shop or something and yet, look where I am anyhow. I just can't stay away. It feels really, really, really right. A little scary at times, but really right.

I have noticed everytime my role is about to change with births a bit I go back through this again and again. I am so glad to hear others do it too..... I was worried I was the only one.

#373 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...
Anyway, I want to give her a book that might plant some seeds about more natural childbirth and hoped you all might have a suggestion....

Thanks!
I'd second the Thinking Womans Guide... and Heart and Hands.
I'd be casually dropping some evidence-based articles showing the dangers of scheduled induction as well, and something about the benefits of allowing a baby it's full gestation period, as well as something on the average natural gestation for a first baby being 41.5 weeks. just pointing her in the direction of allowing things to flow in the healthiest way possible, rather than fitting into the OB's convenience.

#374 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
Hi Ladies! One of my closest friends just found out that she is pregnant with her first child. I am so excited for her and would like to give her a book that will help her through this journey. I was thinking of Ina May's Guide to Chilbirth, but I also thought of Heart and Hands. She is pretty mainstream and her (much to my horror) OB already suggested that she plan an induction since he will be on vacation on her due date. The nerve! I sort of balked at that and said that it didn't matter if he was on vacation as he would probably only walk in the room once she is crowning anyway. I said (without trying to sound pushy) that medically unnecessary induction is NEVER a good idea...

Thanks!

I just rented "The Business of Being Born" from Netflix. I think it is a really good film for the mainstream. Even with all the information I already know, the way they describe the snowball effect of induction got me shouting at the screen "YES! EXACTLY" I think it is presented in a forum that so many people can grasp and understand. I know some of my more mainstream realatives look at me w/ that "crazy hippie" look when I talk about birth sometimes - that forms a seperation. If the TV Nation can relate to this film ----yeah!!!

#375 ·
Question for all you ladies...

How many of you homeschool? How do you balance it with being a student yourself? With attending births?

I am really struggling with this for next year. We homeschooled my Dd for kindergarten but sent her to a local private school this year for first grade. It was really my thing - I was out of my mind with PPD after the baby was born and I thought that it would be good for her to get out of the house for a bit. It actually has worked out beautifully - she loves the school and her friends and is doing amazingly well. But, I look ahead to next year and really there is absolutely no way that we can afford it. (Even with financial aid.) I also have to drive her to and fro every day - about 50 miles a day total. The local public school is not an option. She has also been sick a lot this year, and has missed a tremendous amount of school. I know in my heart that homeschooling is best for us, but now that I started my apprenticeship I am really worried about making it all work. I have a Dh who is essentially uninvolved. He works 2+ hours away and is never available for help. I usually only do prenatals once a week and plan on attending few births in the immediate furture. How do you do it? Do you have partners who fill in? Hire sitters? Besides my Dd, I have a 4 and 1 year old too. Tell me it's not impossible. (Or that it is, I can take it.)

Thanks mamas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.