Mothering Forum banner

What's For Dinner? March 2008!

7K views 222 replies 35 participants last post by  twopinknoblue 
#1 ·
I actually made a dinner worth sharing tonight
and came her specifically to report it in the March thread. Since it appears that no one else has been making food worth talking about I figured I would start the thread, posthaste!

So now that everyone is expecting some sort of amazing and awesome meal...

Tonight I made roasted garlic mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli and.....

Chickpea cutlets!

No gravy because I forgot to buy mushrooms and didn't have any packets, so we just squeezed some lemon juice on top

See less See more
#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Where are all the mamas at?! I'm beginning to feel like a thread killah...

Tonight was my solo night (DH works) so it was leftover quinoa with steamed broccoli and peas and cubed smoked tofu with leftover almond (peanut) sauce. I think I'm going to start eating peanut sauce on everything, yum! And this smoked tofu rocks! It's Soy Boy, I've never had it before, but DS ate a bunch earlier straight out of the package, so it's toddler approved.

I'm reading, but I have nothing to post. my DH is out of town too, so it's going to be something from a box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula View Post
Well, I'll post Keeta and everybody can snicker at our dinner. We are having Frito pie. Yes, Frito pie. I did veganize it but still it is junk however there is a reason. Dd (aged 22) broke up with her boyfriend of 3 years last night and she needed mama to make her some comfort food. What is more comforting than salty, greasy, junk food?
We might just have to have some chocolate for dessert.
Sounds interesting.. what's in it? And hugs to your dd too.

#129 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post

Sounds interesting.. what's in it? And hugs to your dd too.
Thanks. I feel sad for her but a little relieved too. It wasn't the healthiest relationship.

Frito pie is layers of chili, cheese (in the original recipe) or a substitute (Follow Your Heart is yummy), and fritos all baked together until it is bubbly.

#131 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginisarah View Post
I made the Potato and Kale Enchiladas from Veganomicon. They were amazing. I wish I had made more. If I didn't have the cookbook, I'd buy it just for this recipe.
I did! And, that's what we had for dinner, too.
chula, you're an awesome Mama!

#132 ·
In our continued quest for mushy, non-acidic foods for tonsillectomy-recovering-DD2, we are having a veganized version of creamy mushroom soup tonight. The house smells AWESOME. Ahhh, I need to cook with shallots more often!

What to go with it...hmmm...usually I'd say french bread, but that's too tough for DD2 right now. Maybe sauteed chickpeas with parseley. Remains to be seen.

Oh yeah...fresh mango for dessert. Ten mangos for $6 at Costco today!!!!!

#133 ·
Tonight's dinner will be green curry tofu and pineapple-cashew-quinoa stir fry (from Veganomicon).

The Frito pie was all in vain. They are back together. Give me the 'terrible' two's over the twenty-two's any day.

I agree that the potato kale enchiladas are awesome. Man, I love that cookbook.

#134 ·
Hmmm...I've been sick, so we've been having pretty mild things that my stomach can handle, like:

Tomato-Rice Soup w/ Navy Beans and Roasted Garlic (V'con)

and

Potato Latkes (veganized) which were cooked by my college son, who is home on Spring Break. He learned how to make them from his German girlfriend, who actually called them "kartoffelpouffer," although I'm not sure of the spelling. (The relationship ended, but the latkes remain.) Those were SCARILY good, which is why we try not to have them too often.

Tonight he wants to further impress us all with his cooking skills by making hamburgers for he and his brother
, but I have leftover VwaV Veggie Burgers in the fridge for myself and DH, so I will simply admire his handiwork without actually consuming it myself.

#135 ·
Quote:

We live within walking distance of the Ferndale Blue Nile! Love that place, but it is pricey. We tried a new place in Southfield the other day, but weren't that enthused by the food. The owner was really nice, but the food did not compare to Blue Nile.
Aww, we would have been neighbors just 3 years ago (we used to live on West Saratoga!) I miss the old neighborhood, but after DS was born we decided to move closer to DH's job. He used to have a horrid commute between Ferndale and Ann Arbor!
Now he can come home for lunch everyday which is awesome (and a huge help to me as I work from home full-time).

My DS is sick and I was feeling a little under the weather last night too. So we ended up getting Thai food carryout from a local place. I am majorly bummed because the place will no longer make Pad Thai without egg for us! I guess they have a new cook and he won't make it without egg- says it sticks to the pan.
Cross that place off our list.

Tonight I am making two recipes from Vegan Express: Black Bean, Avocado & Mango Salad and Tortilla Casserole. I am not sure if that is too much beans together (the casserole has pinto beans, tomatoes, corn, and soy cheese). But I have been waiting to make the salad and I finally have both ripe avocadoes and mangoes at the same time to make it.
I needed a good dish to go with it so hopefully the casserole will work.

I finally got my copy of "Eat Drink and Be Vegan" from Amazon. It has been on order since January or something, but it is the second printing so hopefully the typos from the first printing were all fixed. It looks so good! There are a lot of yummy sounding recipes (more so to me than Vive Le Vegan.) I think the first I will try will be the Cocoa Coconut Chili. Has anyone tried that?

My sister is having us over on Saturday for dinner (sort of a non-Easter celebration.) She is making ham, cheesy potatoes, green beans, and salad. I need to bring a vegan dish for us to eat. Any ideas? I am thinking pasta and this time of year is great for asparagus. One of my favorite dishes from Vegan Planet is the pasta with roasted asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and pinenuts. I might do that unless I think of somehting else. Also I was going to bring a vegan dessert of some kind, if anyone has good suggestions. Maybe something from Veganomicon? I have tons of cookbooks.

#136 ·
Quote:

I made the Potato and Kale Enchiladas from Veganomicon. They were amazing. I wish I had made more. If I didn't have the cookbook, I'd buy it just for this recipe.
Did you make it with the roasted chile sauce? Is it easy to make?

I have only tried the recipe with the mole sauce, which was just ok. The filling though was 100 kinds of awesome! I was thinking I would just make the filling again and serve as a side with scrambled tofu or something.

#137 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
Also I was going to bring a vegan dessert of some kind, if anyone has good suggestions. Maybe something from Veganomicon? I have tons of cookbooks.

What about making cupcakes from VCTOtW? We made the vanilla cupcakes and the vanilla buttercream this week, and we added some food coloring to both to make them festive for St. Patrick's Day. They were DELICIOUS! You could make up some fancy cupcakes and win over all the omnis!!!

#138 ·
Quote:

Also I was going to bring a vegan dessert of some kind, if anyone has good suggestions. Maybe something from Veganomicon? I have tons of cookbooks.

The pistachio-rosewater cupcakes from VCTOTW are awesome and so spring like. I see that there are pistachio-rosewater cookies in Veganomicon. Vive le Vegan has some yummy lime coconut cookies.
: Fancy cupcakes are very impressive though.

#143 ·
not sure...I have tempeh veggie pasta sauce on stand by, but DSis & her DBF may not be that ambitious so we may go out. either way, I've got a banana walnut spice cake in the oven and plan to top it with lemon coconut icing, so we'll be set with dessert for sure

#144 ·
Last night dinner was Pineapple Veggie Stir fry with tofu, nori sheets, and coconut oil. Dessert was Thai rice pudding with mango. Tonight is an early dinner of chalupas with black beans, tons of veggies, and raw cheese. I am going to bake vegan double chocolate chip cookies since we may go eat at a friends house later.

#145 ·
Quote:

Tonight was seitan pot roast and veggies in the crock thanks to Robin Robertson's blog. It was tasty and the toddler gobbled up the seitan!
That sounded so good that I looked up the recipe and nabbed it for us! It's in the crock pot now. If it's yummy, I will put it at the top of the list of easy dinners. Including chopping veggies, I made this in less than 30 minutes!

Friends are coming over after school today, and we're going to make more vegan cupcakes from VCTOTW, since I have a VAT of green vegan buttercream in the fridge. Here's a hint, folks: the frosting recipe in that book makes enough for TWO batches of cupcakes, at least.

#147 ·
Quote:

Did you make it with the roasted chile sauce? Is it easy to make?

I have only tried the recipe with the mole sauce, which was just ok. The filling though was 100 kinds of awesome! I was thinking I would just make the filling again and serve as a side with scrambled tofu or something.
I did make it with the sauce and it was easy. The sauce was really good too. I have some leftover sauce and have been using it as salsa.

#149 ·
Quote:

Tonight I made the Baked Pumpkin Ziti with caramelized onions and sage bread crumbs from Veganomicon. I haven't baked it yet but I think it is going to be great!
Oooh, I've been wanting to try that recipe! Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Tonight we did pizza - red sauce with dollops of pesto, sauteed portabello mushroom, sliced tomato and Follow Your Heart Mozzarella cheese. It's really good!

#150 ·
Hey Keeta, or anyone else who has made that slow cooker seitan pot roast -- how was the consistency of the roast itself? We made it, and the flavors were awesome, but the roast itself was very spongy. It was ok, but a denser texture would have been nicer. Any ideas? I followed the recipe exactly except for subbing sweet potato chunks for about 2/3 of the carrots.

Thanks!,
Debi

#151 ·
Quote:

Oooh, I've been wanting to try that recipe! Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Tonight we did pizza - red sauce with dollops of pesto, sauteed portabello mushroom, sliced tomato and Follow Your Heart Mozzarella cheese. It's really good!
It was AWESOME! Everyone in the house loved it. Definitely creamy, savory and delicious. My 18 month old son who never eats pasta (but is a good eater otherwise!) scarfed it down and kept asking for more "di-ti."
It makes a lot but I think it will freeze well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.