Mothering Forum banner

Please tell me what you think of DD's recital costume

4K views 66 replies 52 participants last post by  MommytoTwo 
#1 ·
My DD is 5 and takes beginning tap at a local dance studio, the only one in town. Back in October the notice came out regarding the spring recital. My DDs costume was $48 which is a lot of money for us but we scrapped it together and purchased the costume, sight unseen. The recital is May 18 and the costumes were sent home today. You can see by the picture that it is a very short raincoat and what you can't see is the green bikini underwear that came with it. My DD looked down at herself as she tried it on and said "Are there shorts too?" and when I said no she said "So I am going to be dancing in my underwear on stage?"

I am appalled at how short these costumes are. I feel that they are completely inappropriate for children of this age. I try very hard buy clothing that does not sexualize my girls and now I unknowingly spent too much money on a costume that I feel, does just that. On top of the length issue, vinyl raincoat is so thin that it feels as though the snaps are going to pull right through the "fabric."

I would like to hear others opinions of this costume, as I know many of you have DDs in dance and it is recital season. If others also feel that this costume is unacceptably short, how would you recommend responding? I hate to pull DD out of the recital after she has put in so many hours of practice but the look on her face when she asked about dancing in her "underwear" tells me that the costume makes her feel self conscious which I don't think is healthy at all.

The studio owner is the recital organizer and is not a child-friendly woman. Our DD LOVES dance and our reason for putting our DD is tap was because the tap teacher is a young, fun, college student. I do not know specifically who chose the costumes.

Thank you for your insights.

See less See more
#52 ·
My dd wanted tap this year too, so I switched from our good dance studio to the popular dance studio. We were told that our costumes would be AROUND $50. Although expensive, I knew that this was normal. Costume deposits are in the fall. In Feb. they ordered the costumes and showed us what they ordered. Cute yet tacky but not revealing or slutty. Unfortunately, they "just had" to order the matching socks, hair thing, & gloves. We also needed to buy a special type of tights. TOTAL COST=$85! I am very irritated but we were already not going to return for other reasons!

Amy

#53 ·
Is your DD dancing to Singin' in the Rain?

As far as dance costumes go, I think it is fairly modest. Even though it is short, it isn't low-cut in the chest area. Is she wearing tights? I always had to wear really thick tights for recitals - so thick they were practically leggings. A heavier-weight tight might make your dd feel more modest.

When I was that age, my ballet costume was a short-sleeved leotard with a skirt. We removed the skirt for the tap number. The year after that, I had a mambo outfit that showed my belly. This was in 1986! I'm sure in all of my years of dance, my poor mom spent well over a grand on cheap polyester and plastic costumes. I know that one year I had one involving a leotard, tights, and a sandwich board to make me look like a playing card.

My DSD is 5 and in dance. We paid $60 for her costume (which we still don't have, and pictures are next week
), which is a white sequin-y leotard and a tutu-style thing. It covers more than what she wears to dance class. I thought it was fairly modest for a dance costume; her mom thought it would make her look like another word for a lady of the night, DF thought it was cute.

Bottom line, if your dd is uncomfortable, I would leave it up to her as to whether she wants to participate in the recital or not. I would definitely let the teacher know, though.

#57 ·
This thread makes me so glad my dds go to the wonderful dance studio we do go to. It's so laid back and all appropriate and the costumes are paid for with the production fee for the class which is paid at sign up and is $45. There's no extra charge at recital time and the recitals are free with no tickets required. One of the studio owners is a costume designer and often, but not always, makes the outfits for the recital. Dd1 has been going for 4 years. They've worn leotards every year with different accessories and tutus. The first year it was a purple leo with a very poofy short purple tutu. The second year she wore a red leo with an appliqued heart and a matching (non-poofy) skirt with an appliqued silver heart. Last year she was in a black leo with jewels hanging from the top and a swirly modern orange/brown/black/white skirt. This year I've heard it's pink and black, but haven't seen them yet. It such a wonderful place and I've never heard a complaint from a parent about the attire.

#58 ·
If she doesn't feel comfortble in it, then its not appropriate. That's the whole point isn't it? Dance is supposed to be fun because it's an activity for her. If her costume makes her feel funny then she shouldn't have to wear it because then it stops being fun. (jmo)

#59 ·
I think that with good quality tights, it's fine. I'd put a leotard under it for comfort, if needed. But if you want to try to find coordinating bike shorts for everyone, go for it.

The "underwear" that comes with the costume is actually called "trunks" or "briefs" and is not considered underwear. The tights are the underwear.

If they aren't putting performance-quality tights (not the cheap ones at Walmart), I'd insist on shorts. No tights = tacky, to me.

#60 ·
omg...

that is to short. it's too short for a recital for women let alone little girls, and i say that as a 22 year old college student and former dancer.

and for tap...i mean i understand shorter costumes for jazz, it's kind of part of the tradition, but not for little girls! older teens and women fine, but jeeze. i just don't get why no little shorts or tights, there doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

but then again i don't support make-up for little girls dance recitals either. again, teens and women, no issues. but these are little girls, it's just not ok IMO.

bodysuits and leotards i understand, i know how hard (and unflattering) it is to dance in baggy clothes, but those are traditional dance uniforms, not pseudo-stripper costumes.

#61 ·
Love my parks and rec ballet/tap class

The recital was at a Spring (really Easter) festival.

As to costumes? The teacher said "wear pastel leos and some type of skirt" and bought bunny ears at Taregt for the kidlets... she DID recommend hair pulled back and "a little bit of make-up might be fun" but my 3 year old's ringlets just WON'T be tamed... and what the heck would make-up improve on a child!!!? SO she was a glorious, mop headed - naked-faced bunny!

#62 ·
I believe my daughter's dance recital costume, by the way, is a sequined leotard. I think there is a very short stick-out-horizontal type skirt and butterfly wings that attach to the wrists for her ballet number. Then they take off the skirt and wings for the tap number.

She's four, and this is the south, and in May she is usually found in a swimsuit or gymnastics leotard. June, July and August she barely gets out of a swimsuit.

But I get that the costume under discussion is sorta weird and you could feel like there is something missing, so I fully support her in adding bottom coverage.

#63 ·
I would absolutely add something to the bottom and underneath. Is she shirtless under this raincoat. How embarassing would it be for if the buttons did pop or something while she danced around? And I think there is a significant difference between a bathing suit or a leotard and something that is or resembles underpants. I would speak to the instructor and tell her your feelings and more importantly your dd's and tell her how you would like to handle it. I think it's a great idea to follow the costume the boy is wearing. For me personally, I'd probably just wanna add tights and a leotard underneath or a leotard and bike shorts. And I would have to say for my comfort level the shorts would show from beneath the coat.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post
... and what the heck would make-up improve on a child!!!?
The make-up isn't to improve the child, it's to bring out the features so you can see their faces from the stage. Just like real ballerinas and actors on Broadway.

To this costume - is she wearing tights? I would also add a leotard under it. That way, her top is covered and she may feel more comfortable in that (since I'm assuming she wears a leotard in normal classes). Then, add the green bottoms on top.

#65 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
But if you want to try to find coordinating bike shorts for everyone, go for it.
Why is it her responsibility to find bike shorts for everyone?

#67 ·
I clicked on the thread all ready to say "just chill out about the recital outfits" but that one is actually pretty bad. I wouldnt let my DD wear it. My DD is in a recital, as I was in many, and we wore costumes and makeup and it was fun, but I would have an issue with that one. My DDs class is required to wear makeup - not to improve them, but because the lights on the stage wash out your features. She will have fun, its one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.