Mothering Forum banner

Why a $20 water bottle?

6K views 87 replies 48 participants last post by  nathansmom 
#1 ·
I am light green right now; always working on improvement. I understand plastic disposable water bottles = bad for the environment (and the wallet). I use plastic reusable waterbottles now, just free ones I've gotten fro promotions and stuff. I'm sure they are leaking PBA or something into our water...

I really like the look of the Sigg and it seems so cool, but I am super cheap and it literally hurts my chest to think about buying a Sigg waterbottle for each of my family members and spending $80!

Help convince me that this would be a good investment!

#77 ·
Thanks for the link for the Enviro ones, Dogmom! I had Kleen Kanteens in my shopping cart on amazon for the past 2 weeks, but just couldn't bring myself to spend $50 (w/shipping) on them. Enviros were half that.

#78 ·
because when you fill it with ice and water it sweats so much and is very cold on your hands (like holding an ice cube).

My DH doesn't like his SIGG because you can't squeeze it. He rides his bike to work everyday (16 miles each way) and he doesn' suck the water out of the bottle but rather he squeezes the water into his mouth. You can't do that with a SIGG unfortunately.

I made some insulated water bottle holders from pre-quilted cotton fabric:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97reddodge

I don't like the sport's cap my bottle came with so I bought a childs cap. I wear lip gloss and I don't like getting it on the cap so I usually remove the cap to drink my water.

I worry about the plastic the caps are made from.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and almost 5

#79 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by medaroge View Post
I bought a bunch of New Wave Enviro bottles that were colored and the colored coating flakes off and gets everywhere! I dont think that is very safe, unless you can get all of the coating off, which I have not been able to do.
Grrr, so just a heads up.
and it's from my 11 1/2yo ds hitting the bottom of his bottle on the concrete sidewalk!?! He has Asperger's Syndrome and cannot resist doing this. Amazingly it only has one teeny tiny dent on the side from this rough treatment.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and almost 5

#81 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyndmamaof4 View Post
Anyone have a new coupon code for reusablebags.com ?

I think the other one is expired

it should still work......it worked for me yesterday, and it's showing that it doesn't expire until 4-2-09. did you try this one: f70838 ??

#82 ·
And I bought them all using coupon codes but STILL-.... I do not think they are worth the money I paid for them. I think that the Nalgalene ones you can get for a lot less money are probably just fine. i had to return one sigg becuase the paint chipped off it so bad and we have only had them for a few months... they do look cool but I think they are selling a trendy product. You are paying for trendy... Guess it is like a $30 diaper- sure it is
"good for the environement" but that is hard to justify.

#84 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom View Post
i am thinking about getting some of these, anyone use them?
http://www.ecowaterbottle.com/
I like the look of those! I wonder if their paint/outer coloring is more durable than Siggs? I prefer the Kleen Kanteen over the Siggs because the Siggs are just not that durable. The paint chips off and they get dings really easily, plus the narrow mouth makes it harder to clean. I think that water tastes much better out of a metal bottle, even if it rolls around my car all week. I had to refresh the water in my plastic bottle at least once a day. I won't go back to plastic, but I probably won't by another Sigg brand either.

#85 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I carry it in my purse with my tiffin... my boss has asked me several times if my stainless eat-ware is camping equipment.
That's dd's lunch too: canvas bag, tiffin, sigg. No plastic in sight. The kids at preschool are used to it by now, but we'll see how it goes in kindergarten.

Sorry for my utter failure at multi-quoting.

#86 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aolinsmama View Post
i know the aluminum is coated, on the inside, (sigg) and sigg says if it is dinged the inner coating isn't affected.
What is it coated with?!? I can only assume it's plastic... And if so, does that make a Sigg any safer than a plastic bottle?

Just curious about this. We are about to purchase some new bottles, and I was looking at the KK and Sigg.

#87 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyncyn View Post
That's dd's lunch too: canvas bag, tiffin, sigg. No plastic in sight. The kids at preschool are used to it by now, but we'll see how it goes in kindergarten.

Sorry for my utter failure at multi-quoting.
WHat's a tiffin? I was at a function today and they were handing out those plastic water bottles. When I told them I didn't use plastic water bottles anymore they looked at me like I was nuts. Those ecobottles are a great price I think I will order some of those for the kids. Wonder if I can find a coup[on code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.