Mothering Forum banner

Using reusable bags.

7K views 80 replies 53 participants last post by  Buddhamom 
#1 ·
Do you take your cloth bags to places like Target, Khols, Walmart? Anywhere that uses a plastic bag? why do somepeople only think they have to be used at the grocery store? Is this the "trend" part of it speaking?

#52 ·
I have some canvas bags, but I really like these big-stand-up-plastic IKEA bags - they hold about 5 plastic bags worth of groceries and are durable. It's way easier to carry in heavy stuff with a proper handle.
I also have a laundry basket that lives in my trunk - if I'm buying something big, like plants, I take that with me. It's easy to carry stuff up to the house with nice handles and it keeps stuff from rattling around in the trunk in it.

I never bring bags into target. I LOVE their plastic bags. They don't have holes in them, like the Safeway bags and they work great for my automatic litter box - that way I don't have to buy and throw away the plastic bins. Where's that hiding under a bag smilie?

I do feel for companies that are trying to halt "shrinkage" AKA stealing by making sure purchases are in bags. Eco-nuts are gonna throw a wrench in that.

#54 ·
Funny, but when I first started using canvas bags years ago I would only bring them to the food store. Somehow it didn't cross my mind to bring them to all different types of stores.

Now, I have smartened up and bring my bags everywhere. Lots of places have even tried to charge me for my own bags.
:

I do get some questions when I bring my mesh produce bags to certain food stores. The cashiers get very confused.

In the last few months, has anyone else found that using reusable bags has been easier? I find that I am getting less questions and stares. Hopefully cashiers and other patrons are become more accepting and aware.
:

#55 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GruppieGirl View Post
In the last few months, has anyone else found that using reusable bags has been easier? I find that I am getting less questions and stares. Hopefully cashiers and other patrons are become more accepting and aware.
:
Yes! I like to think that I'm part of the revolution, breaking in the cashiers, making the world more cloth-tolerant, so that it becomes the new normal.

#58 ·
I never go to Albertson's, but the one time I happened to, I bought 4 bags. They are perfect because they have long handles so I can carry them over my shoulder (we have a flight of stairs to navigate to the kitchen.) I take mine everywhere...but I live in Seattle, so everyone else does, too. The grocery store near my house has a sign on the door that says "Don't forget your reusable bags!"
:

The only place that anyone ever gave me any attitude about it was Costco (before they came out with their own.) But I figured out that it's better refuse a box and have them just put the stuff back in the cart so that I can sort it according to which floor of the house it's going to.

#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Best Feeling View Post
One of our stores is like that. My bags fit the footprint of a paper bag so they just set them up in the slots of the carousel like they would a paper bag. That's if I've got a cart full. If I just have a few things I either use a self-check or I tell the cashier that I'd prefer to bag my own. They just set the stuff on the top of the carousel and I put it in my bags.
What type are these? They stand up/open on their own?

My grocery cashiers are still mystified -- if not out right annoyed -- by my canvas bags, and since I am juggling DS, DD, coupons and sales fliers, anything that makes the process easier would be great!

#60 ·
Yesterday the bagger at the grocery store put all my stuff in plastic bags inside my reusable bag!
With 4 kids tagging along, putting food on the conveyor, etc I didn't notice until we were heading to the car. geesh..........

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Yesterday the bagger at the grocery store put all my stuff in plastic bags inside my reusable bag!
With 4 kids tagging along, putting food on the conveyor, etc I didn't notice until we were heading to the car. geesh..........
That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. What could he possibly have been thinking?!

#62 ·
I take them everywhere. Including yarn stores, office supply places, clothing stores (second hand AND new), I even carried out some pretty new bras from a lingerie store in a reusable bag. I did get them to wrap it in tissue first, at least it's reusable easily.

#63 ·
I don't because I don't go to places like Target, Wal*Mart, etc. For other stores (mostly local, boutiques, etc or the very occasional department sore), I haven't thought much about it. I usually end up donating all of my bags to a local consignment store that uses them for items they sell instead of wasting more bags.

I normally only take my bags to grocery stores and farmers market. I have really nice bags (get compliments on them)
but would like something more "socially acceptable" for places like Bloomingdales or boutiques. Maybe something sturdy or just an oversized purse or tote Ha!

Good thread!

#64 ·
I have been using canvas bags since the early 90s. I have LOTS of them from various volunteer activities and events, etc. I've used them for all sorts of things over the years and haven't given it much thought. I guess I was pretty low-key about it.

A good friend apparently took notice, though. She gave me a cloth bag a few weeks ago that is made from 100% organic cloth and says, "I don't do plastic" front and center big as day. Eek! LOL It was a sweet gesture and I like the way the bag is built, etc. The saying is LOUD for my tastes, but whatever. I use it right along with my others.

Just the other day, after more than 15 YEARS of using canvas bags, I had my first uncomfortable experience. I was at Wal-mart and it was not busy, but the cashier was less than happy about my bag. I only had one bag and everything I purchased easily fit in it, but it was awkward for her. I decided to acknowledge her challenge with bagging and we ended up having a fairly good conversation about how canvas bags are changing the way cashiers have to work and so forth. The lady behind me in line also chimed in. We decided someone needs to design a universal "holder" for reusable bags. I suggested a cashier design it since she/he knows what it is like firsthand to bag with customer-provided bags and sees lots of different styles, etc.

#67 ·
This kid at Kroger was annoyed with us when we bought groceries the other day. He had already started using plastic bags and one of the kids ran up and gave him the reusable ones (which are from there and say KROGER on the front). He proceeded to just dump the food into them without organizing them at all like he had been with the plastic. The fruit was all bruised and frozen and non-frozen items were all mixed together.

I didn't notice until we got to the car. I don't know why he thought it was so horrible, they are nice bags with flat, reinforced bottoms that stand upright on their own.

I am working on making some Morsbags so I don't have to take my Kroger ones in other stores. And we've been packing them up and taking them right back out to the car so we wont keep forgetting to take them.

#68 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaffNowCryLater View Post
I really like how the chico bags have a clip on them when they are stuffed into their teeny bag, I have one clipped onto the strap of my purse at all times.
I clip mine to my key ring. I never forget them!

#69 ·
The cashier at Wal-Mart today obviously hates reusable shopping bags. So much so that she was rude, and didn't acknowledge my "thank you" and "have a good day". I just don't get why they CARE. And there was nobody behind me, so it wasn't like she was busy & people had to wait.
:

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by barose View Post
I have really nice bags (get compliments on them)
but would like something more "socially acceptable" for places like Bloomingdales or boutiques. Maybe something sturdy or just an oversized purse or tote

I use ecobags string bags for mall/boutique shopping. They're really compact so they can fit into my purse, but they expand to hold a lot (good for clothing shopping). I also often use a big tote as my purse/diaper bag and just tuck purchases into that.

I sent my MIL two envirosax for her to use. They're still compact, but a little more cute and less crunchy looking, probably would fit the social acceptability.
Any lightweight tote bag would probably fit the bill.

#72 ·
We use reusable bags as much as we can remember and we keep them in our car. I take hem into the library, to the farmer's market, etc. The only thing I get in plastic is meat because having blood leak into my own bags just grosses me out (though yes they could be washed minus the cardboard thing at the bottom which would have to be trashed then). I put meat that goes into the freezer or fridge in the same plastic bag too, again to keep it from ever leaking on our other stuff- yuck. I get attitude sometimes for the bags from the cashiers. Often the ones that bag the groceries just won't bag a single thing for me if I have my own bags, like they don't want to tough them or something. it can be pretty frustrating. As some pps said, you sometimes have to be somewhat forceful to keep them from putting your stuff in plastic anyway and then into your bags (or some odd combo thereof).

This brings up the question of bag credits, I'm going to start a new thread to ask...

Oh yeah, and about Walmart- they are making a play at being more "green" with their new line of organic stuff, the TVs are all having green ideas on them, plus they SELL reusable bags and just did a million bag giveaway, so I don't know why they aren't educating their employees about it. Of course being randomly rude to another person doesn't compute with me anyway, so I am oft confused not only about bags but about life in general... ;-)

#73 ·
Yeah we do hate using them. I work there. I had a lady bring her reusable bags with cat hair all them and it smelt just like pee. Also ppl put their meat in them. How many ppl do you think wash them bags. Most likely none. Parasite can live in cat pee. I know any where work you can catch germs by the stuff you touch. But the cat pee and hair on the bag was just gross. I took it to home office. So i'm hoping they will see how gross some ppl can be and make it where cashiers dont have to touch them anymore.

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cggarci View Post
Yeah we do hate using them. So i'm hoping they will see how gross some ppl can be and make it where cashiers dont have to touch them anymore.
That's absurd. I'm actually offended by your attitude. Personally, I would never dare to put food in a filthy bag, and I guess I'm one of those true wackos who washes the bags all the time. (all types, including the Whole Foods recycled plastic bags - wash in the washing machine and hang dry)

Mine may have stains on them and some holes, but they're clean and a WHOLE lot stronger than a wimpy cheap plastic throwaway bag.

Actually, I do almost all of my own bagging (and so do my kids) because I dislike the way cashiers put stuff into bags. 10 plastic bags with one item in each one is NOT easier to carry than 2 well packed bags. Don't even get me started on mixing dry & frozen goods, bruising fruit, and packing all the heavy things into one bag!

--janis

#75 ·
I have really sweet canvass bags from OB Peoples Food Store in San Diego that I bought in 1989. lol I use them for everything. I also have a couple of wicker market baskets that i use lots without issue. If I forget them in a place like Kohls or TJMaxx, I just say "I dont need a bag". As long as you hold the reciept as you're walking out, it's good. If they want, they can check the items in your hands with what is on the reciept. I've never had an issue in all these years. Maybe some clerks think no bag or canvass bags was is odd, but I've never been harrassed about either issue, and around here people having their own or bags is fairly common.

Not that I would care if they didn't care for my bags. I try to be sympathetic to the folks trying to quickly bag when there is a long line of cranks behind me. I alos don;t care how they bag...sometimes I think too much time is wasted trying to pack things a certain way. I mean, I am going home to unpack. It's not like they are wrapping wedding gifts.

#76 ·
Cggarci, I have been a cashier as well and I have/had absolutely no problem whatsoever when people decide to use their own reusable shopping bags. There is no difference in touching a nasty bag compared to touching the money that dirty people pull out of their dirty pocket and/or purse. I've been handed slimy money before.

I think it's ridiculous and ignorant to assume that everyone who used those bags would be nasty. I'd like for your "home office" to tell me I couldn't use my bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.