Mothering Forum banner

THE "Most random, 'huh?', strange craving you've ever had" THREAD

2K views 65 replies 44 participants last post by  scarlett8808 
#1 ·
What is the strangest, most random craving you've ever had and maybe a funny/interesting scenario that the craving occurred?

My husband and I were driving along (I was about 3 months along) and I suddenly, without warning or any kind of buildup to it said outloud, "BANANA CHIPS!"

(husband)

"Seriously, we must get banana chips. Pull into that Fred Meyer and let me go get some!"

So we did...and they were good.

What about you?

-Caitrin

See less See more
#52 ·
dairy queen soft serve.
hawaiian punch.
pickles (of course)
cupcakes (only from St. Cupcake in Portland, OR)
burritos
cheeseburgers....i WAS vegetarian i swear!

more cheeseburgers.
aversion: ranch dressing there for a while.
jelly belly jelly beans
pho (i love pho anyday anytime)
kfc. (only once...it was disgusting.)
pinapppppppleeee.
strawberries.

i just wanted to eat everything for the first few months! there is more i am forgetting too! i just wanted everything...

#54 ·
I'm not pregnant, followed this from the new posts...anyway

When I was pregnant with my last baby I really wanted shrimp cocktail and cheesecake. We went to a brunch after church and both were being served! I would take a bite of shrimp, then a bite of cheesecake and eat it altogether. It makes me kinda sick now but then it was delicious!!!

#55 ·
I'm not pregnant, but so want to be. And loving this thread!

With my dd I once had to go directly to the store, buy grapefruit juice and drink it. Just once. And I don't think I have bought it any other time in my life.

Ketchup. I was too ashamed to just eat it so I had to hunt around the kitchen for something I could reasonably put ketchup on.

Beer. Gave in and had a fake one.

Vegemite!! This was problematic because you USED to be able to get it in Canada, but you can't now. So I was asking everyone to keep a look out and everyone kept saying "oh Safeway/IGA/Save On has it all the time", but they didn't! Worse the people that suggested Marmite, gross! Thank god for the Aussie owned Cobb's bread and their cheeseymite roll (like a cinnamon bun but with cheese and vegemite instead). So good!

I am ttc now. I have a BIG jar of Vegemite already in the fridge.

#56 ·
I wonder what exactly our bodies are missing that our noses think chlorine water has to offer?

I'm in the pool water club too! Mine actually extended to this pet stain deordorizer spray called Natumate (?), I was trying to cover up a kitty temper tantrum and wanted so badly to drink it like water from the sprinkler when you're a kid.

Oh, and SO read about pica in his book and keeps accusing me of sneaking dirt.

#59 ·
So the past few weeks, I've seriously "needed" Indian food. There is a yummy Indian buffet down the street from us and even though we're not big on eating out, I've been getting my husband to go with me once a week

I really should just learn how to make the stuff...The dish I mostly crave is Chicken Makhani.

Oh gosh, today is our weekly Indian food trip...We leave in 30 minutes. Yum.

There is an Indian spice shop down the road as well, I think I'm going to whip out my unused Indian cookbook and write down ingredients for something that looks good

Anyone else getting curry cravings?

-Caitrin

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by magpiedee View Post
I love the smell of Chlorox Green Works toilet bowl cleaner. It's the perfect sweet lime. Now, if I could just get someone to bottle that scent without the whole "chemical cleaner" thing...

OMG that's great! I don't feel so bad now. I've been loving the smell of Windex...

Can we say horrible?

Thankfully, I don't clean with it, I just like being in the room when someone else does. Then I feel guilty.

-Caitrin

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by biffer View Post
I've been just craving really junky food like cup o' noodles, ramen, and bagel bites. It makes me feel so guilty.

I was just telling someone the other day...

Why the HECK can't I ever crave healthy foods? Why can't we all crave spinach while pregnant? I'm serious, it really is such a bummer that so many of us tend to want junk...totally unfair, isn't it?

The other night I woke up at midnight wanting buttery buttery theater popcorn. Buttery theater popcorn, are you kidding me?? I never eat that stuff not pregnant! It's so fatty.

-Caitrin

#62 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post
OMG that's great! I don't feel so bad now. I've been loving the smell of Windex...

Can we say horrible?

Thankfully, I don't clean with it, I just like being in the room when someone else does. Then I feel guilty.

-Caitrin
I almost swiped my MIL's bottle of Comet today. THAT is nasty! I don't even clean with non-natural products at all. But she was scrubbing her shower with it and it smelled sooooooooooo good.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSong View Post
My last pregnancy I craved McDonalds Fish Sandwiches. OMG GROSS! I only gave in a few times.
: Me too! So weird, since I don't normally even like seafood. I force myself to eat some for the health benefits on occasion, but the McDonald's fish sandwich certainly doesn't fall into that category.

The strangest craving I had last time was lobster! Very weird because I'd only had lobster once before in my life as a kid and couldn't stand it. Even wierder because I had the craving the entire time, from the first trimester on. It was so strong I was driven to distraction, but never gave in due to mercury concerns (and because I know it's not something I actually like!) It went away as soon as she was born, much to my relief!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.