Mothering Forum banner

Why do I bother?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  zoeyzoo 
#1 ·
DD1 has been sleeping horribly lately, and went down for a much-needed nap when we got home from the chiro today. Sophie was tired, so I nursed her and got her down about 45 min later. Ahhhhh, time for my nap, right? I ran out and emptied out the car, then laid down. I had been asleep about 5 minutes when Sophie woke up
:. Despite the fact that I burped her forever, she had spit up in the co-sleeper. Okay, fine. I'll just lie in bed and bring her in with me. No. She wriggles and writhes and cries. She's bearing down and I can tell she's gassy. I give her some gripe water, do the homeopathics, and rub some castor oil with lavender oil on her stomach. Try to lie back down in bed, but she is fussy and squirmy. I sit up to see if she needs to burp. She starts rooting, despite the fact that I nursed her an hour before. Whatever. I nurse her again. She nurses for a while, then gets all squirmy. I sit up to burp her. She starts bearing down. Right as she poops, she spits up probably everything she just ate. It's running down my back, and poop is leaking onto my leg.

Sigh.

I change the poop, change her outfit, change my shirt. DD1 has now been asleep 2 hours and I don't like to let her sleep longer than that for fear she will be up all night.

So. The question is ... why on earth did I even bother lying down to begin with? How presumptuous to think I might actually deserve a little sleep.
:

See less See more
#7 ·

You know how often I hear "You look tired, you should nap" or "Nap when the baby naps" Ummm.....yeah... I have 3 kids! One is a newborn and has no schedule, I just can't say "I'm taking a nap" and have it happen. Trust me, I wish it did work that way!

#9 ·
*hugs*

If you ever need a break with your toddler - give me a holler.

My 2 year old would love a friend to play with once in awhile. We have a an awesome childcare provider who comes Tuesday -Friday from 8:30-4:30.

If you ever need your munchkin to have a playdate - PM me

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Renee View Post
*hugs*

My 2 year old would love a friend to play with once in awhile. We have a an awesome childcare provider who comes Tuesday -Friday from 8:30-4:30.

so if i put my guy on a plane, will you pick him up at the airport??

i could really use a break

i hope you get some rest tonight S

#15 ·
so if i put my guy on a plane, will you pick him up at the airport??

i could really use a break

Shore!

Send description of kid and a packed lunch

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by merry-mary View Post
Oh no. I'm sorry!

You deserve some sleep! Can you get anyone to come help just for an hour or two ... just so you can lay down and take a short nap?
Well, mil is great about taking dd1, but with Sophie's digestive issues, I still manage to not be able to sleep during the day even when it's just the two of us (when she's uncomfortable, she'll only sleep in arms or next to me, but she wiggles like crazy). I need TWO mils
. If things don't get better soon, I've considered hiring a post-partum doula to come and handle Sophie for a few hours here and there so I can rest. The plan right now is for dd1 to go with mil on Sunday and dh to take Sophie for the day (bringing her to me to nurse) and I will hopefully be able to get a bunch of sleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle Renee View Post
*hugs*

Michelle, that is beyond awesome! I may take you up on that once Sophie's digestive stuff settles down and I'm able to get some sleep when it's just me and her

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubs8 View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry. Does Sophie like to be swaddled? James actually hates it, but whenever I complain about him squirming swaddling is the first thing everyone recommends.
She H.A.T.E.S. being swaddled. Completely flips her lid

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
How's everyone sleeping? Feeling?
Eh, we have ups and downs. Friday night she slept awesome, but dd1 was up half the night
:. Last night, not so great. I was up with her until 2 AM because she was gassy. She is sleeping better during the day, though. Speaking of which, I'm wasting my time here instead of taking a nap! MIL has dd1 and Sophie is sleeping. *slaps hand* Time to go lie down!

#18 ·
I could have written this post! DS sometimes sleeps really well - sometimes. Most of the time he acts just like the OP described. My DS is super gassy too, he wakes himself up farting, and I get so frustrated because it took me an hour of nursing/rocking/ shhh'ing and so on to get him to sleep in the first place! I am exhausted too - my brain has ceased to function.

They do grow out of this - they do! I just can't remember when - as I said, my brain no longer works.

I actually got my bathroom cleaned today - in the dozen or so 5 minute intervals that DS allowed me to put him down for a nap (not on me, in his bassinet). He naps horribly in his bassinet, but on my chest, he literally sleeps like a baby.

I wonder how much longer I can do this??? LOL!!

#19 ·
I hear ya! I have pretty much given up on going to sleep. Just when everyone else is asleep, I know that soon Sage will wake up and wanna eat. He eats ALL THE TIME! Not only have I given up on sleep, cause it's just too hard to wake up once I'm finally there, but I'm also wondering why I bother to wear a shirt/bra in the house ;-)
Hope we both get some sleep tonight!

#21 ·
my dd1 quit napping when she quit nursing to sleep... 6 months ago

i do not even try to rest. if i get in the mindset to be going going going until dh gets home, i feel better about how the day goes... and get a huge thrill if they are both quiet and content for a half hour AT THE SAME TIME.

dd2 sleeps til 9 or 10, so i sleep in with her on weekends when dh can get up with dd1

#22 ·
I know exactly how you feel. I am going through the same things plus the stomach issues too. I have had to break her latch whenever I hear gulping, changed bottle to the ones with the bags (not sure if you ever giver your baby bottles), tried changing diets, etc.

I know this is odd... but my dd will actually vomit everything up when I burp her so I don't burp her now unless she seems in distress. I also am careful not to stimulate her for a little while after a feeding... she vomits when she gets stares at the TV, stuffed animals, moves around too much, etc. These changes have dramatically reduced the stomach issues for dd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.