Mothering Forum banner

July IUIs

12K views 280 replies 19 participants last post by  Angi 
#1 ·
Let the IUI fun continue! Here's to a whole lot of April babies
:

Feel free to post your info in bold, and add a link to your chart.

Angi - IUI with donor sperm to become a SMBC

Biomama - HSG, 25mg clomid, hCG trigger shot, U/S monitored, 2xIUI cycle ~7/11 probably our last IUI before we move on to IVF. :

Blueyezz - 1st ever IUI- mid/late July with 50mg or 100mg of clomid (still deciding), US CD12, and top it off with a trigger shot :

dandelionsrflowers - IUI mid-July

DLT - 2nd IUI, but my first unmedicated one, ~7/8

Ellien - first (unmedicated) sometime in mid-July

Kiki - 5th IUI mid-July

Leah - HSG cycle, 50 mg Clomid, 2 ultrasounds, 1 IUI, and a partridge in a pear tree :

Snowbell - 150mg clomid, IUI around July 8th. :

Quasar - unmedicated IUI in mid-July

See less See more
#102 ·
Kim, I'm so sorry about your BFN

Are you feeling PMSy? AF still hasn't shown up, right? there's still some hope!
Glad you had a nice vacation! That sounds great.

I know what you mean about deciding what to do next... It has been really hard to accept that we have to do IVF if this IUI fails. But for us, it makes the most sense. If our 4 IUIs haven't worked, the chances of a 5th, 6th or 7th of the same thing working is vanishingly small... at that point we might as well just try naturally again. I'm not saying that is the case for you too, since you would be ramping up with the medication. We are paying for our IUIs OOP, so to go to injectables would be really expensive, plus it seems like my ovulation isn't really a problem. So if we are going to do 2-3 cycles of injectables with IUI, my thought is that we should save the $ and do one cycle of IVF. I know it's kind of silly since we might need several cycles of IVF too.... idk. it's so hard to figure this out. Our doctor at least is clear with his recommendation - he thinks if this IUI doesn't work, we should get my polyp removed, wait a cycle, then start mini-IVF in September. Sorry I went on for so long... I hope you can figure out what to do.

#103 ·
kim - sorry about your bfn! in re: to the lap... i'm am really glad i did mine right away, although i had different reasons for it. they suspected endo with me, but i had alt. motives
i was curious about the endo, but i also wanted to know that everything was structurly ok. it eased a lot of my concerns. i now know that we won't be dumping a lot of money into iui/ivf and then finding out (like some others i know) that there really wasn't a chance in the first place.

GL to all the iui'ers this next week!

as for me... af showed her face this morning.

#104 ·
I have a question. I had my Orvidel trigger shot on Wednesday night around 9:30pm. yesterday my temp was low and I got a +OPK. My IUI is in about 30 min. How do we know that I didn't already O?

My temp at 5am this morning (2 hours earlier than usual was low - 97.12). But then I tried to go back to sleep (i did get out of bed) and I took it again at 8am - one hour later than usual and it was 97.7.

I wonder if they do an u/s before the IUI just to make sure.

-c

#106 ·
I had a dream last night that I went for my u/s on Wednesday and the tech found 5 fully mature follicles on each ovary, ready to burst. S/He asked if I wanted a litter. (Can't remember if it was a him or her in the dream).

Then the dream shifts with the doctor running around trying to quickly thaw the specimen so he could do the insemination right away. He would rub the vial between his hands, under his arm, in the microwave (!), in a cup of hot water. Anything you have ever done to quick thaw something, the doc was doing. *Remember, this was a dream*. Meanwhile, I'm still in the stirrups in a paper gown.

Then the vial was finally thawed, he put it in what looked a lot like a caulking gun in miniature with a long hose. Then he said, "This might be a little cold".
:

That's about when the alarm woke me up.

I'll let you know if anything like this happens on Wednesday.

#107 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by biomama View Post
hi girls! hi Jelly_Bean!
GL with your 2nd IUI! We have MF IF, so DH's 2nd samples are never quite as good as his 1st, but they are usually good enough for IUI.
Just wondering from those dealing w/ m/f. What's thought to be "good enough for IUI" from your exp? We had 5 mil. Is that even in the running? I had such a nice clear O...and wondering if we even have a chance.

To All the IUIs today...GOOD LUCK!

#108 ·
poet, I don't know if 5 mil is enough, I have heard that they like to have at least 10 mil for IUI. Now that is total, not million/mL. My DH has low counts, but high volume (11 million/mL, 6mL) so his samples for IUI end up being ~40 million that make it through washing. Apparently they are quite happy with that number (though it hasn't worked 3 times now, let's hope #4 is different).

He's upstairs now collecting his sample
but he just finished another 30 hour shift at the hospital, so I'm a little worried it won't be his best ever.

Angi, your dream totally cracked me up!

#110 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angi View Post
Just tell me they don't use anything like a caulking gun?
No caulking gun I promise!

So I had my second IUI for the month this morning. Count was at 10 million so not too bad considering he just gave a sample yesterday morning.

poetgirl - I know each dr is different at what they want them at but ours says anything above 10 is great. When we did our very first IUI Dh's sperm was at 5. I think our chances were a lot lower that month but it still only takes one so you never know!

Ok...I'm having severe cramping this morning! This is our 3rd month of IUI's (actual 5th IUI though) and I've never had cramping like this!
Anyone else experience bad cramping afterwards. I'm wondering if it has to do with ovulating so many eggs?

#111 ·
Jelly bean, I have been having cramping all day too! But I only just had my IUI this afternoon, so it wasn't from that. I wonder if it is from ovulating too. I have 3 mature follies this month, more than I've ever had. Our IUI went well, DH gave an excellent sample even after 30 hours no sleep (and 5 days of abstinence). Now we do the 2nd one tomorrow morning, then progesterone testing next week and then WAITING!!!

Angi, it's not anywhere near as big as a caulking gun! You're so funny. It's more like a skinny syringe attached to an even skinnier plastic tube that is maybe ~10 inches long. But only about 1-2 inches of the tube goes through the cervix into the uterus, the rest is to go through the vaginal canal. You can ask your doctor to show it to you. Our RE (I love him) showed us the catheter tube and the syringe during our first visit so we knew what to expect when we came back for the IUI.

I guess the speculum is kind of like a caulking gun though, isn't it? So maybe you are on to something.
:

#112 ·
yay for IUI's! I'm hoping, hoping, hoping they work for all of us!

my iui went well this morning. i went for acupuncture before and after the iui and it really helped as far as relaxing me and opening my cervix.

biomama, i am in the same boat as you as far as next steps. we are going to try one round of injectables and if that doesn't work we'll move on to IVF. financially that is what makes the most sense for us. it seems scary to be considering IVF much sooner than I thought I would. part of me though is glad to speed up the process, just to have an answer one way or the other. not sure if that makes sense but this is all getting very tiring.

i am going out of town for awhile but will be checking in periodically. i wish everyone lots and lots of luck. i am hoping to see lots of BFPs!!!!

#117 ·
Wow!!! I can't believe how many of you had your IUI's today or yesterday!! Good luck to all of you! I hope there are a tone of BFPs to come in two weeks! I will be eagerly stalking to see how it is going.

It has been a really busy week for me at work so that has kinda helped make my TWW go a little faster. I had a little bit of red spotting on the TP tonight which is a little early for me and I'm hoping that AF will hold off until at least Sunday to help with "MY IUI plan" (you think I would know after 2 yrs that you can't plan for anything with this whole TTC process).
to all!!!

#118 ·
my temp went up! I ovulated!!! We have our 2nd IUI in 2 hours, so I'm hoping I ovulated last night and the eggs are either already fertilized from yesterday or waiting for today's visitors

I can't believe so many of us are synced up! When are you all going to test? I'm thinking I'll test 7/24 maybe. I know that's a bit early... Usually I can tell what's going on by my temps, they start to come down and then I get AF.

how's everyone doing? enjoy the weekend!!!!!!
:

#119 ·
Quote:

my temp went up! I ovulated!!! We have our 2nd IUI in 2 hours, so I'm hoping I ovulated last night and the eggs are either already fertilized from yesterday or waiting for today's visitors

I can't believe so many of us are synced up! When are you all going to test? I'm thinking I'll test 7/24 maybe. I know that's a bit early... Usually I can tell what's going on by my temps, they start to come down and then I get AF.

how's everyone doing? enjoy the weekend!!!!!!
:

Sounds like things are falling right in place!!! I'll be sending you positive vibes!!! Good luck. I'll be sure to stalk your chart from time to time. Take care!!!

#120 ·
Best of luck with everyone!!!

:
:

As usual I'm about a week behind.

My IUI is on Wednesday. The doc says Thursday. I know my body. I'll O on Wednesday or be very very close. I'm already getting the tight feelings around my lower pelvis.
Either that or it's gas.

And I've already bought the pregnancy tests. Yes multiple tests. They had a good price at Target on the First Response 3 pack and the Clear Blue OPK came with a free digital test.

I want it to be Wednesday already.

#121 ·
WOW, I've been offline for 1 day and SO MANY IUI's have taken place!
:

I had mine done yesterday morning, and I was so relieved when they told me that they organised for one of the doctors to come in and do it for me, because of all the 'trauma' I went through last time (they took 15 mins to find my cervix, and another 10 mins, 2 nurses and a doc, to get through). So anyway, he was wonderful and it was quick and pain-free and went well!

DH count was 46 mil and 70% motility. So here's hoping. They told me I don't need to come for a progesterone test this cycle, but I do have to take the injections to keep my lining thick. I go in for preg test on 28/7.

EastbayK - are you going for a blood test to confirm this? Has AF arrived? I'm still holding thumbs for you.

dandelionsrflowers -
Good luck for this cycle.

Angi - how funny your dream was
I'm sure you'll be pleasantely surprised when you have your IUI done

Jelly_Bean - Great news about your IUI. Welcome to the 2WW. What date do you test?

biomama - wow, 3 mature follies - good work!
You must be pretty happy with that. Thanks also for the information on possibly O'ing before trigger. I do feel better, and yes, I can't worry about it so I won't

I have one HPT that's been sitting here for 6 months, and I don't think I'm going to use it - ok, we'll see, I'm only on my first day of 2WW, so who knows how sane I'll be in 10 days time

For all IUIers, what date is your preg test due?

#122 ·
They told me my blood test is two weeks from friday (i think the 25th). I'm sooooo impatient when it comes to testing though! I just bought 25 preg tests on ebay that supposively pick up 10 mIU of hcg. Seems really low but we'll see! I figured I'd start testing as soon as they get in just to see when the hcg shot is out of my system. then test for real probably starting around 9 to 10 dpo...depending on how my temps look and stuff.

#123 ·
DLT, sounds good! Glad you got the doctor who knew what he was doing. It is amazing to me how much better my RE and his nurses are at inserting the speculum compared to all the other times I've had it done (for the HSG, the radiologist was the worst! soooo painful). That count sounds good. Today the nurse who did my IUI said that if you had at least 15 million, the chances were just as good as if you had more.

I am happy about the 3 follies, but I had 2 last time and that didn't work... I'm hopeful but not too much so. I am preparing for what's next: polyp removal and then IVF in Sept/Oct.

Angi, good luck! We'll be waiting to hear your description of what happens! I promise no caulking gun or cold sperm

Jellybean, I love your idea of a time series of tests. You should keep them all and take a picture of them all lined up, like the lady on peeonastick.com!

Blueyezz, what's happening? I hope it's not AF....

#124 ·
Quote:

Blueyezz, what's happening? I hope it's not AF....

Has anyone else ever been afraid to pee???? That is where I'm at right now, afraid to use the bathroom in fear of seeing something I don't want to see (AF). So far so good. Had one spot yesterday and one today but nothing else, so who knows. Usually once I start to spot it just keeps coming and then she totally shows up so who knows. I'm not getting my hopes up b/c I've done that before.

Good luck to all of you that are in your TWW now!! Hope it goes fast!!!!

#125 ·
Jelly_Bean - Are you taking progesterone supplements during your 2ww? If so, this will definitely have an impact on your POAS results.

biomama - I hear ya. DH and I are trying to learn from this and try and prepare for our next cycle, but we're both so similar in that we're so hopeful and in the moment, that when AF shows it's a complete shock....

blueyezz4 - Yip, after my first week of 2ww, I dread going to pee
Definitely holding thumbs for you.

#126 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLT View Post
Jelly_Bean - Are you taking progesterone supplements during your 2ww? If so, this will definitely have an impact on your POAS results.

Yes I am. Are you sure if effects results? I know the hcg shot does but I've always been told the progesterone won't effect them it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.