Mothering Forum banner

Puppy Pics *NEW* post #320-322

23K views 530 replies 28 participants last post by  mommyswenn 
#1 ·
What does it mean when a pg dog has a clearish vaginal discharge? It started yesterday and has gotten worse today but no signs of labor that I can tell.

We are not 100% sure when she bred but know for a fact that it was at least 49 days ago. She is still eating well and acting ok. I am just curious what this might mean as far as gestation and possible problems TIA

#502 ·
Okay, so after his one nap in the crate yesterday, Finn doesn't want to go back in.

Dh tried putting him in there last night (he had been curled up asleep on the couch, so he was tired) but as soon as dh put him in the crate he started whining and yipping SO LOUD. I was seriously worried he was going to wake the kids up! :p

This morning I had to run out to the garage to get something out of the freezer and no one else is up to watch him, so I thought I would try again (he'd been up for about 1.5 hours by that point, figured he could use a nap). Again, he cried and yipped so loud I could hear him out in the garage! It sounded like someone was trying to dismember him.

He's happily sleeping on my lap right now, but I would kind of like to get up... my foot's asleep.

I know doxies are, um, stubborn,
but how long can I expect the crying/whining to last before he figures out that crate = naptime?

#503 ·
I know it's hard to do, but if you want him to be able to be crated then you HAVE to ignore his whining. If you let him out or give him any attention at all when he's carrying on like that you are rewarding him for whining. He'll learn very fast that whining=getting what I want and I'm pretty sure you don't want that habit to start

So, as long as Finn has peed/pooed before you're putting him the crate, you need to just wait him out. Patience is a virtue here. If you feel like he needs to come out for some reason (ie. he's been in there for an hour or so and gets up and starts to whine) then wait until he's quiet for a little bit before you open the crate door. He needs to learn that you will let him out when he's quiet and that just because he's in there doen'st mean that he's in there forever--you will let him out eventually and frequently enough that he won't have to worry about it.

#504 ·
Yup. If you decide that nap is, say, an hour, and you know he's peed and pooped, you put him in there and shut the door, and you ignore him for an hour. He may scream the WHOLE time. But you have to do it anyway. These puppies should be able to go 4-ish hours at night, too (and many will be sleeping through the night). The first night you do it "right" will be HORRIBLE. He will scream the majority of the time. Let him out to poop and pee on leash at the 4-hr mark (no playtime or petting) and put him back in. Screeching will ensue.

First night--horrible. Second night--should be about half as bad but there will definitely be screaming. By the end of the week he should be pretty quiet once he goes in. Naps are the same story.

#505 ·
Thanks, Joanna.
I know it's been said many times before, but I am soooo grateful to have the benefit of drawing from your knowledge/experience (among other super pet owners on here!)

I think what I need to do is post about Finn whining in his crate, b/c the next thing I know, he has settled down and is sleeping peacefully in it.

Tonight I will stand firm... actually, I will make my dh stand firm.

#506 ·
#509 ·
Did I mention that Finn already knows how to sit?

I've just been using pieces of dog food, mostly (dd and dh both use dog treats, but he'll happily sit for pieces of kibble from my hand). Today I used some chicken (cooked) -- he was sitting w/o me even using the verbal command after the first morsel!

#510 ·
Brummy is home with me. So far things are going great. I am taking him out to sprinkle the yard every hour
or even if he looks he is just thinking to hard I take him out

He is being very good. Not at all used to be inside and he is a very shy puppy as well.

Everyone else doing OK?

#511 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
OK quick check here can anyone see this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/MCatBoxe...76791719558130 please let me know if you can or cant and what you do see if you cant. TIA
Awwww they're so darn cute!!! You're killing me! I have a fever now dad-gum-it.

I've never been a dog person, always a cat lover but dang, those pictures sent me over the top! one day...

#512 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Brummy is home with me. So far things are going great. I am taking him out to sprinkle the yard every hour
or even if he looks he is just thinking to hard I take him out

He is being very good. Not at all used to be inside and he is a very shy puppy as well.

Everyone else doing OK?
Is Pinky at your house or still with mom?

#514 ·
Pinky is still with sibling, Gizmo and Jill as well. I can only deal with 1 puppy at a time so I will bring Pinky home along with Brummy at the end of the week.
I have mostly carpet and I didnt want to risk having a huge mess on my hands.

I didnt want Brummy to associate here with her right off the bat either make it harder when she is gone for him to have to adjust again.

So far all the puppies have been doing great on house training and Brummy is as well perfect so far. (now that I have typed that there is bound to be a accident though
) but I expect that.

I have started with naming words, pee, poo, bed, crate, stop (along with hand signal) etc. Dont dogs learn words faster if they are with hand signals? I think I read that somewere. He is such a shy little guy and still very shakey. Sitting here with me chewing on a chew bone

#515 ·
How many times a day approx. do they need to poo?
:

So far he refuses to go in the kitchen
He will stand at the doorway and cry for me. I have to carry him to the back door then sit him down put on harness and leash and take him out then when I bring him back in do the same in reverse.

One really nice thing about having him in here is that he is a mini vaccum cleaner
loving that

#516 ·
Brummy has a small hernia were his umbilical cord was. How big a deal is this? I have seen worse really my dog of almost 18yrs when I was still at home had one that stuck out about half a inch and never caused her trouble. Brummy's is most noticable when you pick him up but can be seen while he is walking around to. He is the only 1 out of the litter that has one.

P.S. Please tell me it is ok to let him nap on me
:

#518 ·
Yes, it's absolutely OK that he naps on you. He is going through a huge transition and it's good for him to feel like you're physically present. I think that you'll probably see some pretty major behavior changes (becoming a lot more confident) in the coming days and weeks.

An umbilical hernia is no big deal as long as the stomach wall is closed. You can poke around and play with it--you won't hurt him. If you can feel that there is smooth muscle under the hernia, then it's just cosmetic and you can have it removed when he's neutered if you feel like it. If you can feel a slit or a hole in the muscle, that's a little more of a concern.

#519 ·
I hadnt messed with it much at all but I will check it the next time he decides to be still long enough. Right now he is playing ball with the kids and getting a nice little popcorn treat
no way can the kids eat it without most ending up on the floor.

Oh I almost forgot I was working with him a bit ago on the sit command and he picked up on what I wanted so fast it was amazing. Course he hasnt got it totally yet but within half a minute when I would say sit and he calmed enough to really listen his little bumm hit the floor really fast for that treat.

I gave him the cats bed, since she decided when I got it that it was beneith her royal highnesses notice and has never used it. He actually will grab the fur and suck on it. It is adorable but kinda makes me sad to since he is missing his mama. Jill will let him and Pinky still nurse for a few seconds but she refuses to let the other girl Gizmo do so. I think Gizmo bites her because she really dosnt have milk left.

#520 ·
Awww little Brummy.
Both of my dogs have hernias. And I had a colt with one-his was large and being a horse not entirely safe. I never did anything for the dogs, but with my colt I pushed it all back up a couple of times day until the hole pretty much closed. Then we(vet and I) wrapped elastoplast around his middle to keep everything tight until the hole closed all the way. When the elastoplast came off he had a wee little button where his bely button was.
There was the option of putting him under, rolling him over to surgically fix it(a procedure I had assisted on once before), OR clamping it with two metal pieces that are screwed together then tightening it each day until the hernia fell of and the skin had healed together, OR the pushing and taping.
Surgery is risky for horses, and Im not into the pain of clamping, so I chose option three and it worked
:

#521 ·
Finn naps on us all the time, too.

WTG Brummy for learning to sit!
Finn did the same thing -- these are some bright dogs we have here!

Finn still HATES the leash. He pulls back against it (I don't tug in the other direction or anything, just stand still) and has actually caused himself pain (he yelps). I'm worried that he is going to really hurt his neck.

This morning he was on the leash and I had him in the "boring" spot of the yard to go pee/poop and he was pulling/whining/fighting. I started to let him go in the direction he wanted, and he just moved to a different part of the boring corner and went poop. So I guess that was a success, even though he went where he wanted, instead of where I wanted him to go... is it? A success?

I tried taking him for a walk the other night, but had we actually made it anywhere it would have been more like a "drag"... I'm glad it was dark and the neighbours couldn't see.
And that was with treats to bribe him with!

Any tips?

#522 ·
It's OK for him to walk you for a little while, until he learns that the leash is not a bad thing. Letting him drag the leash around when supervised is a good thing. You can also go where you know he's going to be happy and excited and be pretty much thrilled to go in any direction (for Elvis that's the lake, where he can run along the beach and sniff bad things and roll in piles of goo) so when you urge him to go in a particular direction he doesn't fight too hard.

And yes, there's a little bit of dragging. NOT A LOT. I do NOT want you thinking that I'm telling you to drag your puppy along. I mean you get the leash right up high on his neck, under his chin, get him beside you, and say "Yay! Let's go!" and just GO. They usually kind of stumble/walk a couple of steps (that's the little bit of dragging) and then figure that it's a lot easier to just walk. KEEP MOVING FORWARD. You're of course never doing this to the point of choking the puppy or anything like that. It's more like what you do when you need to leave a grocery aisle and your kid is hanging back and whining.

This:

is a video that shows about what I'd expect from a puppy who doesn't know the lead. See how the dog is fighting but they keep gently moving forward? I would be stopping and reassuring the dog more often than this trainer does, but the concept is about the same--if you say walk, you WILL make it at least a few steps forward, the MOMENT the puppy gives in and jumps forward you praise and get excited, go a couple more steps, stop and reassure, walk forward.

#523 ·
Brummy is doing better with a harness than with just a collar. The harness I have looks like this one http://www.gollygear.com/tmbr_harn.htm it is a step in harness. He only wears it going outside and he dosnt pull on it much at all. The collar he was pulling on and I was worried he was gonna hurt his neck.

#524 ·
I have a bit of a problem
a bit ago dd tried to pick Brummy up out of my lap and he growled at her
I know that some behaivor is acceptable but I dont want things to get out of control.

How should I or should I correct this kind of thing if it happens again?

On a funny note (least to me) Brummy met dh for the first time last night and they did not hit it off at all. Brummy barks at him
Dh though it was because he used nose spray laying on the couch but when dh got up later and was talking to him he got barked at again.

I told dh that Brummy knows his thoughts
dh has agreed to let him stay in as long as I can keep things clean ie the floor picked up and keep him using the bathroom outside
: If I cant keep up then we will re-evaluate things.

#526 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.