Mothering Forum banner

Exclusive Pumpers Tribe

126K views 2K replies 219 participants last post by  clairebear3 
#1 ·
It looks like we could use a tribe for ep'ers. I'm on a group for ep'ers, but there's a more mainstream slant there.
A little intro. . . my son was nursing fine until about 2 weeks old, then started sometimes refusing to nurse, or popping on and off. He didn't gain weight between 2 and 4 weeks, our former dr was a jerk about it, and we found another who sent us by ambulance to Children's Hospital where we found out he had a heart defect. After surgery for that, he developed reflux. In the following weeks, he just wasn't nursing enough to gain weight, so ended up with a feeding tube. That was the end of December, and I've been ep'ing ever since.
Looking forward to hearing your stories and supporting each other.

#1,483 ·
I gave up hope around 4 months old, when she didn't latch for an entire month. I wish I could go back in time to fix things. I wish I would have told my family NO! to traveling to their house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, (I do not regret attending my late Nana's 90th b-day, though) and what not in the early weeks/months. Looking back, I think we could have made it work if I told the world to shove it, locked my doors, and disconnected the phone. It was too much for me. We gave bottles b/c who wants to fiddle with an SNS and Nipple shield and use a cold wash cloth to keep the baby awake while also pumping at Thanksgiving dinner at the IL's? Who wants to explain all of that to the IL's? I should have stayed home to work on the issues.

I vowed to not let that happen with ds. He came, and again, we had nursing issues but the latch was fine. I told the world to kiss my butt and ticked off all our family. (I delivered in December, the holiday season) He had FTT, and SEVERE jaundice. Of course family said that is what formula is for, its ok. Breastfeeding didn't work out and it is ok. I went through the whole pumping and sns issues but made it work!!! I told any family that they could visit ME if they want to, but I am NOT cooking a meal, I am not cleaning the house, I am not going to make sure there is a chair to sit on or even a pot of coffee. Come up, visit, but you are on your own as I am not entertaining you but I will be happy to chat as I pump and refill the SNS. They came up to open presents and they brought a meal. I am so glad that I stuck to my guns this time. I really wish I wouldn't have worried about everyone else and their plans when I had my dd.

#1,484 ·
Here's another question for those of you that have been pumping for a long time - when your child gets to a certain age, do you ever try BFing again? We had so many problems and part of me wonders if there's a better chance once she's a little older. Of course, the biggest issue is that she's used to the flow of a bottle now.

Another question for long term pumpers - as time goes on, how do you have a normal life and social life when you have to pump every 2-3 hours? I always wanted to BF for 2 years and now that I'm looking forward to 2 years of pumping, I'm wondering how I'm going to do it.

#1,485 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobySnacks View Post
Here's another question for those of you that have been pumping for a long time - when your child gets to a certain age, do you ever try BFing again? We had so many problems and part of me wonders if there's a better chance once she's a little older. Of course, the biggest issue is that she's used to the flow of a bottle now.

Another question for long term pumpers - as time goes on, how do you have a normal life and social life when you have to pump every 2-3 hours? I always wanted to BF for 2 years and now that I'm looking forward to 2 years of pumping, I'm wondering how I'm going to do it.
DD is allowed to try to nurse if she wants to. She does not know how. She does watch the baby nurse. I don't think it is ever going to happen.

Going about my life... After a year I spaced out my pumping. Then I got preggers at 16 months pp.
I pumped until I dried up, then started again once I delivered. With dd being 2.5 years old, I don't worry too much if I can't make enough. So I pump after every time the baby eats, (also during the night) and that is it. About 8 times a day. If I am out and about, I do not take the pump unless I know I will be gone a long time. I have no issues with skipping a pump session. I only take the pump if I will miss 2 sessions. I pump in the car after ds eats. It is a pain to take everything, so I usually don't go out for more than 5-6 hours at a time. I don't have much of an exciting life now anyway, so it isn't much of an issue. Its too hard going many places for long with 2 kids and trying to coordinate naps and whatnot. I have not yet decided when I will quit pumping. I was thinking when dd turns 3 in October, but I am unsure. She is such a healthy kid I hate to mess with a good thing, ya know?

#1,486 ·
How old is your daughter (I haven't been following this thread closely)? Luke was almost 4 months when he started nursing again. At first with a shield and now completely without any accessories. I've heard that until around 6 months you have a chance of getting them back to the breast.

#1,489 ·
Hey,

Not new to MDC but new to this forum. My son is just over 7 mos and I've been (almost) EPing since he was 4.5 months and I finally accepted that nursing was not working out and I was destroying my family trying to make it work. My baby still "nurses" at night because then it doesn't matter if he has a lousy feed. I previously nursed a baby for 2 years until she self-weaned near the end of my pregnancy.

I have a really long story, but will spare you the gory details! As it is, we are working on eventually transitioning back to the breast. I love/hate my pump (a Symphony on long term rental) and I don't like what the domperidone has done to my body, although it has been an absolute miracle for me and has made it so that my son has never had a drop of formula. I am able to pump 3X a day and meet all his needs. My son feeds from a Haberman (Special Needs) Feeder.

Basically I hate that I EP but I am glad I have the resources to make it work.

Maureen

#1,490 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
I don't like what the domperidone has done to my body,
Oh dear, what has it done to your body? I've been taking it for a week. I hadn't heard of any ill effects from it. That is awesome you can pump just 3X a day and take care of what he needs!

p.s., I like reading gory details if you have the time to post them.

#1,491 ·
Nothing dangerous, just a few extra pounds that aren't typically there. I think because it increases gastric motility I am just hungrier and have much more of an appetite than I ever have. It's not a huge amount of weight - maybe 10 lbs - and I'm still within the "healthy" range but it bugs me. Honestly though, I don't have a lot to complain about because it worked like a charm for me.

I will post gory details later when I have a long time to be on the computer (and a beer!)

#1,492 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
Nothing dangerous, just a few extra pounds that aren't typically there. I think because it increases gastric motility I am just hungrier and have much more of an appetite than I ever have. It's not a huge amount of weight - maybe 10 lbs - and I'm still within the "healthy" range but it bugs me. Honestly though, I don't have a lot to complain about because it worked like a charm for me.

I will post gory details later when I have a long time to be on the computer (and a beer!)
Hmm, maybe that's why I've felt like eating a small meal at my 2 am pumpings!! I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. I have run out temporarily but am expecting a shipment any day now.

#1,493 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobySnacks View Post

what's a social life? LOL

I didn't have much of one when DD was younger, but it was the dead of winter anyways. Now we're down to 3 pumps a day b/c she is eating some solids. I've been very fortunate to not need dopermine on anything like that.

#1,494 ·
So do most of you slow down your pumping schedules once your child reaches 6 months or so and starts eating some other foods? Since I've battled low supply, I'm really concerned that if I drop it to pumping 4 times a day, I'll start producing nothing.

I'd love to hear from other people, too. How often did you pump, when did you slow down pumping, how much do you pump now, etc.

#1,495 ·
I am so glad to have found this thread. I am planning on pumping exclusivley for my children as long as i can manage it. Don't know what life my kids will have had before they come to me, so i don't want to traumatize them with something they have never ever tried before (who knows if they express interest i am not going to refuse but i don;t have hopes up that they will)
I can't stomach the idea of giving my toddlers and very young children mass produced crap milk that they sell in the stores and i am too cheap to find organic (cause really it is still mass produced and has major foot print with shipping) since i should be able to make lots on my own with small investment.

I love all the ideas i have seen in this thread and will come back when i am closer to starting up - but please keep it up!

Many think i am nuts for event thinking about giving kids bm that i pumped - of course they only bf for a few scant months. if that.
:

#1,496 ·
WOW! First of all I have to say all you EP'ing mamas are AMAZING!

I have been so incredibly fortunate to have been able to BF my DD until she went on a "nursing strike" almost 3 weeks ago. She was 12 months old and had a bout of Roseola and teething at the same time, and just started refusing to nurse as if the boob is some type of evil entity. I have been pumping and giving her my milk in a cup and am hoping that one day she will come back to nursing, but I have to say things aren't looking at all like they are going in that direction.

So, here's my question for all of you "extended" EPers. Did you ever have to deal with people wondering why in the heck you were still pumping after say 12 months when a child is supposed to be able to just switch to cow's milk? I am asking because we are going to visit the inlaws next week, and I'm planning on continuing to pump, but I know they are going to really criticize me. (Last time we visited DD was 8 months old and they gave me a hard time that we didn't have some kind of "back-up" feeding system in place - e.g. a bottle presumably filled with formula. I was asked if I was part of "some kind of hippie, veggie movement".) I know they will *not* understand why in the world I would want to get DD back to the breast at her age, and certainly will not understand why I am bothering to pump to give her my milk.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how to explain myself (or even some really clever comebacks?)

#1,497 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimeesmama View Post
WOW! First of all I have to say all you EP'ing mamas are AMAZING!

I have been so incredibly fortunate to have been able to BF my DD until she went on a "nursing strike" almost 3 weeks ago. She was 12 months old and had a bout of Roseola and teething at the same time, and just started refusing to nurse as if the boob is some type of evil entity. I have been pumping and giving her my milk in a cup and am hoping that one day she will come back to nursing, but I have to say things aren't looking at all like they are going in that direction.

So, here's my question for all of you "extended" EPers. Did you ever have to deal with people wondering why in the heck you were still pumping after say 12 months when a child is supposed to be able to just switch to cow's milk? I am asking because we are going to visit the inlaws next week, and I'm planning on continuing to pump, but I know they are going to really criticize me. (Last time we visited DD was 8 months old and they gave me a hard time that we didn't have some kind of "back-up" feeding system in place - e.g. a bottle presumably filled with formula. I was asked if I was part of "some kind of hippy, veggie movement".) I know they will *not* understand why in the world I would want to get DD back to the breast at her age, and certainly will not understand why I am bothering to pump to give her my milk.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how to explain myself (or even some really clever comebacks?)

I am still EPing and dd is almost 3 years old. Tell them your baby has an allergy to cow milk, goat milk, soy milk, and rice milk. (If you don't mind lying) Or, say the ped wants you to give her your milk since she does not yet eat enough solids or well balanced enough. The World Health Organization recommends bfing until at least 2 years of age, btw, so you aren't freakish for wanting to get her back to the breast or EP awhile. I am the freak who can't seem to let go.

I continue to EP mostly for the immunological benefits. I have the healthiest kid I know.

#1,498 ·
"Hmmm....interesting. Yet you readily drink milk pumped from a cow's breasts, right?"

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit snarky.

We're about to hit 25 months. DD has no interest in my nursing her, although all her dolls and animals and trains (!) are freakishly interesting in nursing on both of us

#1,500 ·
to aimeesmama,
I suppose few people can argue with the fact that breastmilk doesn't cost $4 a gallon!
mention the world health org recommends you bf til 2 years, and the american association of pediatrics recommends the first year, and then beyond as long as mutually desired... and I don't think they are part of a hippie/veggie movement.
i would just be straightforward and say, look, even though she is at the age where cow's milk is ok, breastmilk is the best possible food for your granddaughter. No doctor and even no formula company will deny that, so that is what I am giving her. (maybe even get a cheap package of formula and point out how they say right on the label that bm is best) Tell them: if you really love your granddaughter, you should want her to have the absolute best, nothing second rate. Doesn't she seem happy and healthy? Why mess with a good thing? When she is ready to try cow's milk, she'll let me know. Either support my daughter's healthy diet or keep your comments to yourself.
I agree with pp as well.. if your inlaws suggest cows milk, say eewww.. cows milk is for baby calves! We're not veggie/hippies living in a barn!

#1,501 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
"Hmmm....interesting. Yet you readily drink milk pumped from a cow's breasts, right?"

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit snarky.

We're about to hit 25 months. DD has no interest in my nursing her, although all her dolls and animals and trains (!) are freakishly interesting in nursing on both of us

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootSnort View Post
I've been at it for 2 years, 4 months. When someone asks, I just assume they are asking because they don't know, not because hey are judging me. And so I educate them - there are benefits up to age 7, because the immune system isn't finished until then.
7 years!
: pretty sure I won't make it that long.

#1,502 ·
So about a month ago I was so depressed with pumping. It hurt and I felt miserable about it. So I thought I would start to supplement formula and scale back pumping. WHAT WAS I THINKING???
Now I am only pumping about 5-7 ozs a day when I use to get around 30. I feel so terrible that I made this selfish decision. Since starting the formula DS has more gas, tons more spit up and his generally a little crabbier (at least IMO) So now I want to go back! Can I get myself to start producing higher volumes again? How do I do it?? In the midst of all of this, I think something happened to my pump. Even on max it doesn't feel like it is pulling that hard. I don't have the receipt and don't know where to take it to get fixed/looked at. I feel a mess. I just wish I had kept pumping like I had envisioned all along. I feel so bad for DS that he had to drink formula while I had the ability this whole time to keep producing. Ugh. Anyway...can I get my supply back up? Do I just pump like crazy until it comes back up? What if it doesn't??
thanks for listening to my sob story.
any advice is welcome.

#1,503 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonmama79 View Post
So about a month ago I was so depressed with pumping. It hurt and I felt miserable about it. So I thought I would start to supplement formula and scale back pumping. WHAT WAS I THINKING???
Now I am only pumping about 5-7 ozs a day when I use to get around 30. I feel so terrible that I made this selfish decision. Since starting the formula DS has more gas, tons more spit up and his generally a little crabbier (at least IMO) So now I want to go back! Can I get myself to start producing higher volumes again? How do I do it?? In the midst of all of this, I think something happened to my pump. Even on max it doesn't feel like it is pulling that hard. I don't have the receipt and don't know where to take it to get fixed/looked at. I feel a mess. I just wish I had kept pumping like I had envisioned all along. I feel so bad for DS that he had to drink formula while I had the ability this whole time to keep producing. Ugh. Anyway...can I get my supply back up? Do I just pump like crazy until it comes back up? What if it doesn't??
thanks for listening to my sob story.
any advice is welcome.
Be gentle with yourself.
Any mama milk is good. If you aren't happy with what you are producing, you can try to increase your supply. Pump as much as you can handle. Power pump at least 3 times a day in addition to your regular pump sessions.. That mimics a growth spurt. (pump your normal amount of time, rest 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes pump 10 minutes) Do that for at least 3 days. Eat tons of oatmeal and drink water until you feel like you are going to float away. Try changing the little white membranes in your pump. Drink a DARK beer each evening.

You can get your supply back some, but it probably won't be as high as it was unless you take herbs for awhile. I don't know if you want to go that route, that is a personal decision. Fenugreek, Shatavi, Goats Rue, Marshmallow Root, and Blessed Milk Thistle are herbs that can increase milk supply. Research each before taking them, some should not be taken if you have certain medical issues, and they can not all be taken together. Domperidone is a medication you can take, but you would have to get it from overseas most likely. Your Dr. can write you a script for Reglan, but that causes depression many times.

#1,504 ·
Anybody EP for somebody else's baby?

My situation is: I'm nursing an almost 2yo right now (been nursing for almost 8 years straight) and my niece asked if I'd be willing to pump for maybe the first week or so for the adopted baby who will be born this weekend. His mother smoked during pregnancy, and the ultrasounds show that he's smaller than he's "supposed" to be, so it would be very important that he get as much breast milk as possible. I'm determined to get him a week of exclusive bm, plus as long exclusive as I can. If she has to supplement formula, she's okay with that, so there's really no pressure. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to help a new baby get a healthy start in life.
:

I don't have long to get my supply built back up (my toddler recently slowed way down on nursing) so I'm getting some fenugreek, I've got my raw oat granola, and I'm prepared for pumping to become my life for the next few weeks. Anybody think it'll work? I've never pumped before these last few days, so I was unprepared how *little* milk comes out. But I've already seen a significant increase in the last 24 hours (but that's not saying much, starting from nothing).

How often should I be pumping? How much (in general) will a newborn baby be eating at a sitting? I'm planning to put small amounts in the bm storage bags at first, to minimize waste, so...4 oz? Any pumping "tricks of the trade" to help move the process along faster?

#1,506 ·
Shayla, that's awesome that you're doing such a wonderful thing for that baby! I've always heard that a newborn's stomach is the size of a marble, or perhaps their fist, so they won't eat more than an ounce at first. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it may even be less than that.) They can ramp up fairly quickly, they sure do grow fast!

Keep pumping as often as you can, every two hours is usually most people's goal. If you're already seeing an increase, that's great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.