Mothering Forum banner

Kansas Moms (& Dads)

9K views 174 replies 40 participants last post by  dara00 
#1 ·
Why don't we have an ongoing thread?
:
I'd love to hear about what everyone is doing.

It was hard to get out of bed today with the cold temps.
I have to get dd to get dressed and eat so we can start our homeschool activities for the day. We've taken some time off because I've been sick but her vacation is over!

See less See more
#154 ·
I would just like to mention that the Terrible Twos are playing at the Reading Reptile in KCMO on Saturday and the Replay in Lawrence on Sunday. You can check out songs from their new and previous album on their myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=36651208

The Terrible Twos is the alt ego of the New Amsterdams. They are putting out their second kids album this weekend. Great music, basically alt rock for kids. We'll be at the Replay's afternoon show; hope to see you there!

#155 ·
Quote:
im mostly not too thrilled because i cant walk anywhere and people are always throwing trash out thier windows. as a long time resident of lawrence its taking some getting used to...
I definitely hear you there. I grew up in Tonganoxie, going to Lawrence for anything and everything...now I live in Meriden (this place really sucks) and we go to Topeka for groceries, etc. Topeka is so much less clean and less friendly than Lawrence!

What part of Topeka do you live in? Some parts are better than others...Unfortunately, it's the less-good parts that are more affordable to live in. I never would have believed you could buy a whole house for less than $30k! However, Topeka is just too full of drugs and gangs and bad roads and unfriendly people for me to ever move there, no matter how cheap the living can be.

Have you found any particular places you like to shop in Topeka? I've been watching for someplace like The Merc but haven't really seen anything, so we travel back to Lawrence once per month for my shampoo and whatnot.

#156 ·
Ugh! I wish they were coming down to Wichita. I am on call for a birth and can't get up to Lawrence for this. What a bummer.

How was the show?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
I would just like to mention that the Terrible Twos are playing at the Reading Reptile in KCMO on Saturday and the Replay in Lawrence on Sunday. You can check out songs from their new and previous album on their myspace page:

The Terrible Twos is the alt ego of the New Amsterdams. They are putting out their second kids album this weekend. Great music, basically alt rock for kids. We'll be at the Replay's afternoon show; hope to see you there!

#157 ·
the lawrence babywearers are meeting at the library in the gallery at 7pm tomorrow! monday july 28th
yay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LawrenceBabyWearers/

also i was thinking... in the ap sector there are a few ap minded moms who dont post on ap maillists because their kids arent babies or toddlers. and ive heard it a few times said that people wish that there were moms with older kids that could offer guidance esspecially for people who question thier decision.
i see alot of moms turn around and go mainstream on thier kids once theyre weaned and out of diapers because they dont know what else to do. theres no one leading the way and they feel lost.
i for one would love to see how one ap parents an 8 year old.

okay that fills my random thought for the day quota...

#158 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

sunflowerkelli- How's it going? How long until your dh gets home?

MaShroom- Did you go to the concert?
Doing alright. Getting ready to move back to CA in about 2 weeks. DH should be back the end of September.

I'm looking forward to having my own space again- I mean, I love living with my mom, but we don't exactly eat the same foods, etc.

I can't believe I grew up here and never knew how conservative this place was. My sister has turned into one of them...completely brainwashed.

Anyway, that's a totally different story!

How are you guys all doing? Where are you in KS, anyhow?

#159 ·
I finally had time to go back and read all the posts I missed. I'm bad about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
A poster from car-seat.org recommend I come here to find some like minded mommies in my area. Here's hoping so! I get strange looks and comments whenever I open my mouth, it seems, these days.
I live in Shawnee, and I gotta say I was somewhat surprised by the dissing of JoCo, lol. I've lived on both the KS and MO sides, though my mother demanded we live in on the KS side as soon as I was schoolage so I wouldn't fall prey to the KCMO school district. Go mom. lol But having lived part time in Independence with my dad, and seen other relatives homes throughout the KCMO area, I thank God (and mom, lol) we're in JoCo. Anyways - so is there any actual meeting stuff set up yet? I'd love to get more involved with a mom's group at church, but oddly enough, church is one of the main places where my AP ideas get stomped on as spoiling my child. I'm a single mom which further puts me in a minority, lol.
Dissing JoCo...? Um, if that was me, sorry.
:
Glad you're here, there are quite a few of us in this neck of the woods who aren't going to give you strange looks or comments when you open your mouth.
In the post you made after this one, you mentioned that you're planning on hs'ing your son. Maybe you could get involved with a homeschooling group in the area? I'm not sure what the groups are like there, but the one here in Lawrence is great. Kids of all ages, and some great open minded people. And there are a few of us single mamas too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
i was in lawrence but i was living with my ex and my mom and there was a ton of drama surrounding that. i was homeless for awhile with my kids at my moms and now im living in topeka with my boyfriend.

ive started going to the la leche meetings and i enjoy it alot.
ive been to one ap meeting and i think it would have been more fun if my kids had been there...

im mostly not too thrilled because i cant walk anywhere and people are always throwing trash out thier windows. as a long time resident of lawrence its taking some getting used to...
Dang it, poxy, I wish I'd known you hit that rough patch.
I'm sorry you had to deal with the drama, that just sucks. You totally could have come stayed at our place-where I AP a 7, 9 and even a 16 year old!
My best friend lived in Topeka, it is a very weird place, especially compared to Lawrence. But at least they can boast cheap rent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

sunflowerkelli- How's it going? How long until your dh gets home?

MaShroom- Did you go to the concert?
Yup, we actually made it. It was the very last one so they shot off cannons and fireworks. My PSA for the day is to never stand under falling firework debris and look up. Duh.
The kids and I all got ashes and crap in our eyes. Other than that we had a good time.

Quote:

Aw, I'm bummed I missed this! I really like them.
How was the show?

Today we went to Cairo on the Kaw, the local yearly bellydance show, at the Community Theater. It was pretty cool. I've been dancing again (after a long hiatus) for a few months and it looks like I'm going to get to dance at Ren Fest in KC this year.
: If any of you guys make it (I think it's Sept 13 and 14) you should come by and say hi!

#160 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflowerkelli View Post
Doing alright. Getting ready to move back to CA in about 2 weeks. DH should be back the end of September.

I'm looking forward to having my own space again- I mean, I love living with my mom, but we don't exactly eat the same foods, etc.

I can't believe I grew up here and never knew how conservative this place was. My sister has turned into one of them...completely brainwashed.

Anyway, that's a totally different story!

How are you guys all doing? Where are you in KS, anyhow?
We are in Hiawatha. We like some things about it and some things we don't like. It's a small town. Some people have an attitude about those who weren't born here that surprises me.

My sister lives on a farm in IA and has turned pretty conservative. When she said she started going to church and I asked what kind she was shocked. We were raised Lutheran so that's what she has to be for life. I guess I'm more open minded.

I hope you have a good move. It's nice to live independently.

#161 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaShroom View Post
Today we went to Cairo on the Kaw, the local yearly bellydance show, at the Community Theater. It was pretty cool. I've been dancing again (after a long hiatus) for a few months and it looks like I'm going to get to dance at Ren Fest in KC this year.
: If any of you guys make it (I think it's Sept 13 and 14) you should come by and say hi!

That sounds fun.

#162 ·
oh i completely missed your post!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellga View Post
What part of Topeka do you live in? Some parts are better than others...Unfortunately, it's the less-good parts that are more affordable to live in. I never would have believed you could buy a whole house for less than $30k! However, Topeka is just too full of drugs and gangs and bad roads and unfriendly people for me to ever move there, no matter how cheap the living can be.
we live in oakland. lots of drugs, gangs, bad roads and unfriendly people.
my boyfriend complained of the long drives to playgroup(which i still cant wake up early enough for!) but then reasoned that if i took the kids to a playgroup in oakland someone might get stabbed *
the house is free to live in though while my boyfriends grandma is in the hospital (long stay
)

Quote:
Have you found any particular places you like to shop in Topeka? I've been watching for someplace like The Merc but haven't really seen anything, so we travel back to Lawrence once per month for my shampoo and whatnot.
yes! akins! i dont know how set they are for shampoo but they have quite a selection of lotions, supplements and facial cleansers. oh and food...

Akin's Natural Foods Market - www.akins.com
2913 SW 29th St, Topeka - (785) 228-9131

sometimes we go to:
Topeka Food Co-Op
www.geocities.com/topekafoodcoop/
503 SW Washburn Ave
Topeka, KS 66606 (785) 235-2309

theres one other one i know of but we dont go there because they were snooty and followed us around all obnoxiously...

#167 ·
Quote:

Good to know MDCers are everwhere!
My LC in Emporia was the one who turned me onto mdc. I don't think I know anybody else in the area who's here, though. Sometimes I feel very isolated as an ap mama. There have been times when mdc really kept me going.

maShroom, I just noticed you were talking about dancing at Renfest. dh and I were just talking about the renfest. He used to work it when he was growing up in KC, so he likes to go every year, if possible.

#168 ·
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I live in Topeka and have been looking for other homeschooling holistic living moms in my area. I have two kids, Matt, 15, and Meghan, 10. Matt is bi-polar. I would love to hear if anyone else out there struggles with teens with brain disorders. He goes to public high school and Meghan is homeschooled. I am married to Jeff. I am a nurse at St Francis. That's the basics. I am new to forums and internet abbreviations so please bear with me if I ask dumb questions.

Peace,
Jen Burenheide (JB)

#169 ·
Hello! I have been on a mothering haitus but I am back.
: My photography business is growing and we are adjusting to our new surroundings.

We just made the move to Topeka (from Lawrence--oh how I miss Lawrence!!!
) last November.

Sounds like we should work up a Topeka playdate!!! Who's in? Should I start a thread?

Sarah

#171 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortraitPixie View Post

Sounds like we should work up a Topeka playdate!!! Who's in? Should I start a thread?

Sarah
sarah hi again

if you want to plan a get together ill be there with both kids
:

#174 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
is anyone on this thread from overland park, or is it just topeka area moms? I may be moving to OP sometime next year.
I live in OP. Where are you moving from? What would you like to know? Feel free to PM me. We moved here in 2002 from Arizona and it was a big adjustment for this big city girl to move to the midwest. One lady I knew from another board actually went and scoped out the duplex we moved into for us and the neighborhood because we couldn't make a trip out to KS from where we were at for dh's relocation. LOL. I'd be honored to help you learn about the area.

I see you have a dog. We take ours to Stoll Park where they have a nice fenced dog run. (119th St and Quirvira)

There's also two community centers that we use for swimming and gyms for reasonable price and Johnson County Parks and Rec has been wonderful in terms of a wide variety of activities that the kids have enjoyed.

#175 ·
thanks for the info! we are (or might be) moving from NJ. We may come out in Nov. so I can see the area as I've never been there! I've been looking into moms' groups and kids' activities and things like that and it seems pretty good. one thing I'm wondering about OP is whether you can walk places or you always have to drive. I love being able to walk around my town here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.