Mummy
Mumsy
Papa
Popo (Korean for kiss)
Tata (dad in Ukranian and iciBemba)
Yaya (Greek for grandma)
Zizi (Perhaps don't choose this if you or your loved ones are francophones
)

Please list any additional suggestions in bold and I will add them to the list - thanks!

__________________________________________________ __________________________

So, we may be putting the cart before the horse here, but I was wondering about this.

DP and I are TTC and have been passing the TWW with everything from imagining symptoms to talking about how we imagine life once our little one is here.

So, we were discussing what the LO might call us one day and going over the names we've heard, and none of them really seem to fit. DP is pretty (or handsomely, I suppose) butch, and while she doesn't identify as trans, she is often mistaken for a man and is extremely comfortable in her masculinity. We are leaning towards just letting our babe figure it out on his/her own (she/he may be able to teach us a thing or two) - but I was curious if anyone know of any women who go by dad. I know the lesbian dad blog writer goes by baba (which we would prefer to no use), but would love to hear any input or other suggestions! Thanks!

See less See more
#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoelace View Post
We thought about Tata which someone told us is Ukranian for Dad (but who knows if she was correct).
I lived in Zambia (Sub-Saharan Africa) for a bit and Tata was father in iciBemba (the language of the Bemba tribe = largest tribe in the country). It was always so sweet hearing little kids calling for their daddy. Mayo (emphasis on yo) was mother and I really wanted my daughter to call me that, but she sort of fell into mommy.
Bemba tribe = http://www.africaguide.com/culture/tribes/bemba.htm
Languages that use Tata = http://www.websters-online-dictionar...on/bemba-/tata

Just thought you'd want to know.

#31 ·
We choose 'baba' because we loved the fact that it has both feminine (it means grandma is several eastern european languages) and masculine (it means father in many african languages) origins. My partner is a wonderful mix of masculine and feminine energies (and often gets double-takes... 'are you a boy or a girl' sort of way) so it fit her perfectly.

We also liked the fact that Polly of lesbiandad.net spoke so eloquently about the name and it's meaning, along with stories of her daughter growing up with the term. We're lucky to have several other 'babas' close to where we live.

#32 ·
dad

Arabic: أب (بِلُغَةِ الأطْفال)
Chinese (Simplified): 爸爸
Chinese (Traditional): 爸爸
Czech: tatínek, taťka
Danish: far; farmand
Dutch: papa
Estonian: issi
Finnish: isi
French: papa
German: der Papa
Greek: μπαμπάς
Icelandic: pabbi
Indonesian: papa, ayah
Italian: babbo, papà
Japanese: お父ちゃん
Korean: 아빠
Latvian: tētis; tētuks
Lithuanian: tėtis, tėvelis
Norwegian: pappa
Polish: tata
Portuguese (Brazil): papai
Portuguese (Portugal): papá
Romanian: tătic
Russian: папа
Slovak: ocko, tatko
Slovenian: očka
Spanish: papá
Swedish: pappa
Turkish: baba

mom:

Arabic: أُم
Chinese (Simplified): 母亲
Chinese (Traditional): 母親
Czech: matka; mateřský
Danish: mor; -mor
Dutch: moeder
Estonian: ema
Finnish: äiti
French: mère
German: die Mutter; Mutter-…
Greek: μητέρα
Hungarian: anya
Icelandic: móðir
Indonesian: ibu
Italian: madre, mamma
Japanese: 母
Korean: 어머니
Latvian: māte
Lithuanian: motina, patelė
Norwegian: mor
Polish: matka
Portuguese (Brazil): mãe
Portuguese (Portugal): mãe
Romanian: mamă
Russian: мама, мать
Slovak: matka; materský
Slovenian: mati
Spanish: madre
Swedish: moder, mor
Turkish: anne, ana

Found this list and thought I'd post it. I'm not adding them all to the original list - unless someone would like to nominate one or two.

#33 ·
I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading it. It's funny b/c my DP and I have been going thru this recently as well. At this point we have decide on "Mum" for her (she's from England and uses this for her mum) and "Mama" for me, she has always told the dog "go find your mama or wake your mama up" things like that. So they fit for us. Though we do like the idea of "Baba" for her as well. She is definitely a butch woman and does get mistaken for a man at times (a PP mentioned getting glares when entering the women's restroom, yeah Kate gets that too!) and I am more femme then her but definitely not girly girl or anything like that. Guess we'll decide for sure once the little one is conceived and then gets here! :)

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deny_zoo29 View Post
I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading it. It's funny b/c my DP and I have been going thru this recently as well. At this point we have decide on "Mum" for her (she's from England and uses this for her mum) and "Mama" for me, she has always told the dog "go find your mama or wake your mama up" things like that. So they fit for us. Though we do like the idea of "Baba" for her as well. She is definitely a butch woman and does get mistaken for a man at times (a PP mentioned getting glares when entering the women's restroom, yeah Kate gets that too!) and I am more femme then her but definitely not girly girl or anything like that. Guess we'll decide for sure once the little one is conceived and then gets here! :)
I wanted dw to be "Mama" because that's what I always referred to her as with the dogs too!

Lex

#35 ·
hey deny, i'm also mum because i'm scottish! dp is mommy. our son sometimes makes the distinction but since he's only 15 months old he often mixes them up. i'm sure when his language burst happens around 18 months it will be easier to figure out who he is referring to.

g

#36 ·
Here's my two cents!
Our son is just over a year old, and he calls all animals dada (I think it has to do with him trying to say dog, not sure). When M comes into the room, he says the word daa-di...we don't really know what he's trying to say. And he doesn't call me anything! When he really wants something, he whines Maa-Maa and knows that either of us will come help him. Our plan was/is for him to call M Mommy/Mom, and me Mama/Ma. So far it's a work in progress!

#40 ·
i have an interesting situation. i have 2 daughters 18 and 20. they call me mom as i have mostly been a single mom for their lives. my partner has a 6 yr. old son that currently calls me by my first name. my partner and i are ttc. now i am wondering what the baby will call me and will the 6 yr old catch on to it. i am the butch one and am offten mistaken or a man. my dp says that had i have been born in a different generation i would have most likely been a trans man and i think shes right. but i don't consider myself trans.....i'm just me. i guess dp and i will have to discuss this one a bit....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.