Mothering Forum banner

Weekly Chat: August 7 to August 14

2K views 79 replies 32 participants last post by  Gnatty 
#1 ·
Hey, let's do weekly chats instead of starting a new thread for all the random and fun things we want to talk about.

My weird thing is that I had a dream last night that I was smoking a cigarette (which I don't in real life, but did in my 20s), and then I remembered I'm pregnant! I panicked for a second and then thought, "Eh, one cigarette isn't going to hurt." The craziest thing is that I had *many* cigarette smoking dreams while I was pregnant with DD, the same as this one. I still can't really figure out what they are about.

#52 ·
so 14 day LP means?
I'd assume that means the day your period ends and 14 days after? Or maybe 14 days after the start of your period?
So how do they get the due date then, if ovulation dates are so scattered? I'm not wanting an ultrasound, so I'd have to go by dates.

#54 ·
Hi there, mamas,

I've had an emotional rollercoaster of a day, whew! At least I'm ending it on an up note

This morning I expended way too much energy and stress over a film that is due to come out anyday called TropicThunder. It's a Ben Stiller flick, whom I fomerly liked, but it turns out that huge parts of the movie are really offensive to people with intellectual disabilities (people like my sweet DD) and the "R" word is actually used as a slogan of the film: "Never Go Full Retard."
If you want to know more about it, there's a discussion on our SN forum here.

So anyway, I posted a heads up on another bf board I've been posting on for years and then actually found myself having to defend why using the "R" word is wrong and why I don't support spending $ to see the film. Ugh.
: I should so have known better than to get embroiled in any sort of debate while so incredibly hormonal and in full mama-bear-mode, but alas, I didn't, got carried away and, as a result, felt downright sick by lunchtime. The pg nausea didn't help much, either.

This afternoon has been loads better, though.
I finally got off my duff and called my OB's office and made my first prenatal appt. with him (I'll be 9 wks. along by then.) Then I called a homebirth MW who was the backup MW at my BFF's birth (my former MW, whom I adored, is unfortunately no longer practicing) to see what she thought about my chances for a HB this time around. For various reasons (see the high-risk thread if you're curious), I wasn't particularly expecting a positive response.

Well, I was wrong!
While this MW concedes that I definitely have some risk factors to be aware of and therefore supports me doing dual care with this pg, as I did last time, she also feels quite well qualified to take me on as a client, b/c she also happens to be an RN and works part-time in L&D, as well as her own private HB practice.

Now, while a more medical viewpoint might not be what many people would be looking for in a homebirth MW, her additional expertise makes her a much better choice for me, b/c of all my issues. And it's made DH feel more secure, too, that if anything were to go wrong, she would be well-equipped to handle it. After all the craziness with Sophie's birth, he was really leery of trying homebirth ever again.

So anyway, she's coming over to meet us tomorrow afternoon, and I couldn't be more excited!
: Wish me luck that it goes well, that DH likes her, and that I've found a good fit!

Guin

#55 ·
good luck, Guin, with the midwife tomorrow.

well, i think i bragged one too many times that i never get morning sickness because i got hit hard with a queasiness this morning that has been trying to come back full force all day. yuck. haven't puked but sure thought i was gonna several times. yuckety. yuck. don't think I'll be eating anymore salmon potato salad especially not for breakfast, lol.
DS started 1st grade today. Kindergarten sucked badly for him but he's in a better school this year and we are very excited about his teacher- she has a master's and has taught 1st grade for 16 years and has 4 (older) boys of her own. I think this is a place where he will really be able to shine. I start school next tuesday and hope i can shine, too. I was planning on it but am worried that pregnancy might affect my performance. especially since i havent been in a school in more than 10 years. I can do it and do it well and I will. lol I am just worried about having made it much more difficult with this pg.
sorry to go on and on!

#56 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
so 14 day LP means?
I'd assume that means the day your period ends and 14 days after? Or maybe 14 days after the start of your period?
So how do they get the due date then, if ovulation dates are so scattered? I'm not wanting an ultrasound, so I'd have to go by dates.
Due dates are calculated at 40 weeks from the first day of your last period. This is assuming that every woman ovulates on day 14. If you think you ovulated a few days before or after, you can just add or subtract that from your given due date.

On that subject, does anyone else Love
: Taking Charge of your Fertility? It is such a great resource for NFP and general womens health!

#57 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carolhagan View Post
Jenholle- The WI state fair was amazing! Like I said, I have never been to a state fair in the midwest, only the East Coast, and the WI one was probably four times bigger than any one that I have ever attended.

I also got a creme puff... I didn't eat it until I got home though. It was YUMMY!

I am in Illinois, near the Wisconsion border. Perhaps we are close to one another.
We probably are closel! I live about 10-15 minutes north of Lake Geneva. I so wish I had that Cream Puff to eat right now!!!!
:
Have a great day!!!

#59 ·
Morning, everyone! I woke up far too bright and early from a sound sleep, remembering suddenly that I forgot to refill my BP med prescription and I leave tomorrow morning for Chicago to visit my baby neice. Oops!
So I sat here in the dark, with DH and my 4 yo (yes, she's in our bed more often than not) snoozing away, trying to oh.so.quietly beep in the right numbers for the refill. Then the little automated voice tells me my prescription will be ready tomorrow afternoon after 3 pm.
: Um, no, that won't quite work, as I get on an airplane at 7 am. So now I have to call them up when they open and beg and plead them to overlook my total absentmindedness. Hmmm, this isn't a really fantastic sign as to how the day might go; maybe I should just burrow back into the covers and try to pretend I'm still asleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
good luck, Guin, with the midwife tomorrow.

well, i think i bragged one too many times that i never get morning sickness because i got hit hard with a queasiness this morning that has been trying to come back full force all day. yuck. haven't puked but sure thought i was gonna several times. yuckety. yuck. don't think I'll be eating anymore salmon potato salad especially not for breakfast, lol.
DS started 1st grade today. Kindergarten sucked badly for him but he's in a better school this year and we are very excited about his teacher- she has a master's and has taught 1st grade for 16 years and has 4 (older) boys of her own. I think this is a place where he will really be able to shine. I start school next tuesday and hope i can shine, too. I was planning on it but am worried that pregnancy might affect my performance. especially since i havent been in a school in more than 10 years. I can do it and do it well and I will. lol I am just worried about having made it much more difficult with this pg. sorry to go on and on!
Thanks for the good thoughts; I'm excited and super nervous about meeting the MW today. I feel like I'm back at a jr. high dance (will he like me? lol)

Salmon potato salad for breakfast? Now see, I think that ranks right up there with frozen mayo on a stick, lol.

Sounds like your DS's new teacher has a lot more promise. I have an incoming 1st grade boy this year, too; in fact, all three of my school-aged kiddos will be in the same class this year (K-4th.) They attend an alternative public school for four mornings a week and I homeschool them the other half of the curriculum. It's a great compromise for my patience level and schedule, and so far, it's been a great fit for our family.

So what are you going back to school for? I'd love to know so I can cheer you on properly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smocklets View Post
On that subject, does anyone else Love
: Taking Charge of your Fertility? It is such a great resource for NFP and general womens health!
TCOYF has been my fertility bible for years now; I have given it as a gift to more female friends and family members than I can count now. It's good stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenholle View Post
Sorry about your rough day Guin!! That midwife sure turned things around though! Good luck with your meeting with her! I hope you get the homebirth you want!!!
Thanks, jenholle, I'm a little afraid to wish too hard for the HB piece of this, to tell you the truth. It just may not be possible if my BP won't behave. But yesterday on the phone the MW told me that if a HB is what I really want, deep down, I should go for it, and if it isn't possible later on due to circumstances beyond my control, then to worry about that then. So I'm trying to be more Zen about this
(and failing miserably at this stage of the game, lol.)

So how's everyone doing today?

You know, I keep having these truly good intentions to keep my mouth shut and not tell many people yet we're expecting, and then somehow my mouth opens and I find myself blurting it out, anyway.
I'm not sure what's wrong with me -- I never did this last time around! So far, I've impulsively told the kids (who are super excited) and one of my brothers/SIL, who just had a baby boy in June. I was chatting w/SIL last night, asking her how her treatment for thrush was coming along (ouch! I spent a good part of my vacation there last month trying to help her get rid of it), and she told me how big my nephew was getting, and suddenly, there I was, announcing our the good news!
Could this be some form of disease? I really need to get this under control before school starts next week or my whole town is going to know at the rate I'm confessing!
:

Guin

#60 ·
We're in Wisconsin too! Just south of Madison.

Nausea is hitting full force today. I can't decide if my stomach is feeling like it needs more food or less. I wanted to go for a bike ride this morning, but now I'm thinking that would be a disaster.

Guin, hope you have a good trip!

#61 ·
I missed a doula client's birth last night. She called me at 6:15 to tell me she was at 3cm and so I headed that way and got another call at 7:58 to tell me the baby was here. When I got there the mw said that she went from 5cm to holding her baby in 11 minutes. She didn't get any breaks between contractions and just kept repeating how intense it was and how she was still just in shock. I'm sad I missed it but when I left they were all eating and doing well. She had 2 hospital births before and after we met and started talking more she checked with her insurance and then switched to homebirth. I still can't believe that I'm going to have a baby!

I guess m/s is here to stay. I was afraid it was just going to keep getting worse, as it has over the past week, but I guess I've plateaued at constant sickness. I am not keeping anything down mostly b/c it's so hard to make myself eat. I already have so much back pain that I'm actually getting worried about getting bigger. Is it safe to go to a chiro that doesn't have training with pregnant women b/c there aren't any within an hour of me but I really think it would help. I'm going to go try and drink and eat something.

#62 ·
Guin- I hope you have a great trip!

Rochelle- I hope my labor is that fast!

I started spotting last night, and it's gotten heavier today. I checked my cervix and it's open, so it looks like I'm having a m/c. This will be my 3rd.

#63 ·
Oh, I'm so sorry Erin.
I just had a mc in June. I know how sad and disappointing it is.
I hope you're just having a little normal spotting and everything is ok, but in either case... take care of yourself.
:

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyRochelle View Post
I missed a doula client's birth last night. She called me at 6:15 to tell me she was at 3cm and so I headed that way and got another call at 7:58 to tell me the baby was here. When I got there the mw said that she went from 5cm to holding her baby in 11 minutes. She didn't get any breaks between contractions and just kept repeating how intense it was and how she was still just in shock. I'm sad I missed it but when I left they were all eating and doing well. She had 2 hospital births before and after we met and started talking more she checked with her insurance and then switched to homebirth. I still can't believe that I'm going to have a baby!
I had one birth like that, just one: Charlotte, baby #4. I had been in labor for maybe an hour and a half, nurse checked me, I was 6 cm, she asked if I was doing okay b/c she needed to step out and check on another patient. I said yes, I was fine, she left, and then suddenly I started shouting, "Baby! Baby!" DH, poor guy, was a bit like a deer in headlights once he realized that he was the only one there to catch. Miss Charlotte rocketed on into the world less than 2 mins. after the nurse left the room.
: I don't even remember pushing, to be honest. It was like a roller coaster and I was just hanging on for dear life. What a ride that was!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
I started spotting last night, and it's gotten heavier today. I checked my cervix and it's open, so it looks like I'm having a m/c. This will be my 3rd.
Oh, mama, I'm so, so sorry.
:
I hope it doesn't happen.

Guin

#65 ·
i'm sorry, erin.
fwiw, i had a CNM in the er tell me my cervix was open once and the shift changed and an md came in and said "i wanna check it again; i dont think its really open..." checked and said it is sometimes difficult to tell if you have had a previous vaginal birth and that with me it was loose on the outside but actually really still closed.
i dont really know what it is supposed to feel like tho. you may know your body really well. just hoping you are mistaken about m/c, and either way im sorry you are seeing blood.

#66 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I keep trying to remind myself that some spotting is normal, but every time it happens to me it ends in a m/c. My cervix is definitely open, I check it throughout my cycle to see when I'm fertile since I don't get enough sleep to temp. It is usually only open this much around O time. I'm just hoping it will magically stop overnight and never come back.

#70 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I keep trying to remind myself that some spotting is normal, but every time it happens to me it ends in a m/c. My cervix is definitely open, I check it throughout my cycle to see when I'm fertile since I don't get enough sleep to temp. It is usually only open this much around O time. I'm just hoping it will magically stop overnight and never come back.
Erin-- I'm sorry that your spotting
: that it stops and your little bean stays put.

#72 ·
Guin~ I hope that you get a terrific homebirth (or a terrific hospital birth, if that's where you need to be).

erin~ I'm sending sticky baby vibes your way.

My daughter has decided that she wants to be a baby. She's doing a fake crying thing "wah, wah", asking to be spoon-fed (despite the fact that she wasn't spoon-fed as a baby), wants to be carried everywhere, etc. I thought this was supposed to happen *after* the baby comes?

#73 ·
aw, that's sweet, Mel. Bless her little heart. guess she is already feeling attention on the new baby. now ya'll have a fun new game to play! I think you should hold her like a little baby and tell her she will always be your baby and that she has the special position of being your first baby and that she is lucky she gets to be your baby and can be a big girl too. i sure would be pointing out ways its more exciting to be a big girl and how babies cant do much.
of course im not telling you what to do, mama
just chattin, lol!

#74 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
aw, that's sweet, Mel. Bless her little heart. guess she is already feeling attention on the new baby. now ya'll have a fun new game to play! I think you should hold her like a little baby and tell her she will always be your baby and that she has the special position of being your first baby and that she is lucky she gets to be your baby and can be a big girl too. i sure would be pointing out ways its more exciting to be a big girl and how babies cant do much.
of course im not telling you what to do, mama
just chattin, lol!
That's totally how we're handling it. And she is my baby still
The peeing all over is just slightly less charming now.

#75 ·
I posted a few days ago to this thread about my weight gain. when i went back to the doctor's office today i weighed in at just under 5lbs more than when i was there 9 days ago. as i said, when i posted before, this sure seems excessive. so i asked him about it and here's what he said: "we used to advise women not to gain more than a certain number of lbs in pregnancy because there was evidence that excessive weight gain could cause (cant remember if he said eclampsia or toxemia), but this has been proven not true. i am not concerned at all about weight gain with you. you dont be either. eat enough good food, dont gorge on junk and dont worry at all about how much weight you do or do not gain."
ok, so im thinking, makes sense, makes me feel better, nice doctor.
but then he says this in response to my asking him about natural childbirth: "(looks at his computer with my chart showing) well, you have delivered vaginally so barring any complications, there is no reason why you could not do so again."
: i didnt ask him if he wanted to do a csection; i wanted to know if he could support a natural childbirth- as ds' vaginal birth was medically overmanaged- induced, AROM, 2 epidurals, huge episiotomy, vaccuum extraction. yet this doc implies that is the same thing as natural birth! oh well i only went to him because i was cramping early on and wanted to have an early u/s to determine viability. today i found a homebirth midwife in town and have begun a correspondence. she did tell me that the alabama laws are not favorable and mentioned that if i am still interested she could suggest another alternative. im anxious to hear what that is....

#76 ·
I couldn't sleep last night...not because I got up to pee three times or my little two year old nursed a couple times...or because I was cold (yes, cold)...but because I HAVE A MOSQUITO BITE ON THE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT!!!!
Oh my gosh! I finally put some tea-tree oil on it, and that helps for a little bit. Then of course it was itching like crazy today while I was pushing a big kid cart around Lowe's today helping my mother-in-law compare and contrast (for like 20 minutes!) deck stain.

Don't ask about the rest of my day (4 year old cut her thumb open with a pairing knife, bleed all over the kitchen floor, so 7 year old freaks out, so 2 year old freaks out...so we rushed to the doctor's office where she needed stitches but they used purple skin glue instead) plus all of the other normal/crazy things in a regular day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.