Mothering Forum banner

The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August

22K views 467 replies 37 participants last post by  indigoscot 
#1 ·
Okay folks, the list is here! If you want to be added, just post in bold with your name and due date.

Queer and Pregnant

May 2008
Thismama, due 5/2008
mamastotwo (Liz & Janet), twins(!) due 5/2008
MsJodi (Jodi, DP Maureen), due 5/2/2008
TheGirls (Angela & Kelly), due 5/8/2008
rightkindofme (Krissy), due 5/25/08

June 2008
kk (DP Annie, Baby Daddy Rob), due 6/23/2008
MollyKenzie (DP Kari), twins(!) due late June

July 2008
Mamimapster, due 7/15/2008

August 2008
Solejean (Peggy, DP Lydia), due 8/1/2008
AngelaM (Angela), due 8/4/2008

September 2008
Scalpel (Jess, DP Darcie), due 9/4/2008
Cookie, due 9/14/2008
Venustx, due 9/23/2008 - oh my god it's triplets!!
Roxie, due 9/27/08
baby_baby_mommy, due 9/29/2008

October 2008
TryingMammas, due 10/2008
Becca, due 10/16/08
HeddyBee, due 10/19/2008

November 2008
Melissa and Susan - due 11/21/08
Cartesia - due 11/27/2008

December 2008
Deah, due 12/4/2008
JenInMpls (DP Jo), due 12/8/2008
MujerMamaMismo, due 12/14/2008
Simcon, due 12/20/2008

January 2009
2happymamas - Jill & Kerri, due 1/3/2009

February 2009
Starling and Diesel, due 2/14/2009

March 2009
Pigirl, due 3/8/2009
Erica12009, due 3/8/2009
Pranava 3/14/2008
Giggleblue 3/14/2009

April 2009
MamaCaveBear

May 2009
Lemurmommies, Due 05/01/2009

Graduates!!! Yeeeahaaa!!
NZmumof2 (Anna, DP Leah), Florence born 1/23/2008
Jentina (Jen & Sarah), Ellis Thomas born 2/20/2008

Recovering from Losses, to Rejoin Us Soon

Jen
travelgirlz
Snoopy13 (JD)

See less See more
#453 ·
lemurmommies- I'm still having the fatigue big time. I could sleep all night, and then get up and go right back to sleep again...I would say that's my biggest symptom. I do feel weird when I don't eat regular meals- not really nauseus, but 'off'. Snacking doesn't really seem to help at all, it's more the need to actually eat something of substance.

Today I listened with a doppler and heard the heartbeat for the first time!
: I'm 10 weeks today, and it was going nice and strong at aorund 172-180. When I had the u/s we didn't actually hear the HB, but we could see it.

Shoot... what was I just saying about not feeling nauseus...

#454 ·
Anyone else go on crying jags at week 4? I thought I was doing ok, but had one complicated argument with DP and ended up weeping hysterically. Then I was on hold (for almost 40 mins!) waiting for beta results from the doctor's office and just. couldn't. take it. Betas were good, but I'm still cryin'.

Of course, skipping my anti-depressant could have something to do with this. I had already cut down to the lowest possible dose to prepare for possible pregnancy, but I'm definitely feeling it. Or the hormones. Or both.

Good times!

#455 ·
Still feeling sick and tired over here. I have this weird thing where I feel like passing out almost every day after I eat lunch. DP theorizes it's because all the blood is rushing to my stomach to digest. Had a bad episode yesterday where I didn't have time to eat because I for got an appointment and had to rush out the door. I nearly passed out when I arrived at my appointment, but found some peanut butter crackers jsut in time. I'm definitely sleeping more than normal. And could pretty much go back to sleep as soon as I wake up. I'm looking forward to getting to the second trimester and hopefully feeling like myself again!

#456 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellie74 View Post
Anyone else go on crying jags at week 4? I thought I was doing ok, but had one complicated argument with DP and ended up weeping hysterically. Then I was on hold (for almost 40 mins!) waiting for beta results from the doctor's office and just. couldn't. take it. Betas were good, but I'm still cryin'.

Of course, skipping my anti-depressant could have something to do with this. I had already cut down to the lowest possible dose to prepare for possible pregnancy, but I'm definitely feeling it. Or the hormones. Or both.

Good times!
I'm in week six and crying up a storm. I've always been pretty emotional, but it's a whole new level.

Tired? cry. Need a shower? cry. Hungry? cry.

During my sane periods I'm writing poor DP a thank you letter for being so supportive. I'm a freaking mess.

#458 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellie74 View Post
Anyone else go on crying jags at week 4?
Week 4? 4, 8, 12, 20, yeah, all the time... it's those hormones! Your body wants them out! Cry cry cry! I am a crying cheerleader. I know it feels really weird if you don't *want* to cry or you're not used to it, especially when it seems to pop up so randomly, but as I've mentioned before my dad worked across the hall from a tear researcher who determined that the #1 physiological reason for crying is release of excess hormones!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleasantlyfurious View Post
I read on your blog that you haven't gained weight during your pregnancy. I'm about 35-40 lbs overweight and have been reading that not gaining weight might be a healthy option for me assuming my nutrition is on track. Was that something you aimed for or did it just happen?
It's true, 29 weeks in and still 2 pounds under my starting weight. I go to the midwife every month and wonder if their scale is broken or doesn't go beyond 198. The midwives are psyched about it; my mother thinks something is wrong with it and I swear I'm going to have the midwife write her a note
but I'm guessing it's my diet, which is fairly high in protein and very low in sugar and refined grains. I drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of whole grains and beans and try to fit a fair amount of high-quality meat into my diet (grass-fed beef, pastured pork, free-range chicken). I aim for whole foods and succeed about 75% of the time by default. The one thing I don't do is eat low-fat; all dairy products are full-fat and butter is my friend. I really don't know if this diet would be working as well for me if I were not pregnant, but after I give birth, I'm aiming to find out - except that the two requests I have for directly postpartum are a Surly Bender and a jar of Nutella. That'll blow your low-carb diet out of the water right there.

Before I was pregnant, I was working on trying to eat more traditional foods; you'll find copious talk about this in my blog, especially if you click on the label 'food' in the sidebar. I'm hoping that once I get into the rhythm of having another child around that I will be able to pick this back up.

Last time, I lost 13 lbs the first tri and then gained back 19, and the midwives were happy with that. This time I gained 1 in the first month, lost two the second month, and then lost another and have been holding steady since then. the difference in losing weight this time is that I didn't just stop eating when I started to feel sick; I forced myself to eat in order to stop feeling sick. Plus I had a small one to run after and needed as much energy as I could muster. It has been over 10 years since I last weighed what I wanted to; I want to capitalize on the fact that my body is losing weight while the baby is staying healthy and keep losing after he's born. We'll see if that happens!

Angela, I'm glad you're lurking and that mamahood is suiting you so well.

eta: heartnbones: I did actually cry when I ran to the grocery store to buy chocolate milk one night after putting the child to bed AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. How dare they not have chocolate milk to fulfill the pregnant woman's all-day craving?

#459 ·
I haven't found myself being too overly emotional. However, I think my pregnancy hormones have leaked over to smartycat.
She always has been more likely to cry watching a tv show than me, but recently it seems even more so.

Today, she was in an accident on her way to work. She's ok, just really bruised from the seatbelt. She was really lucky that she didn't get more seriously injured since she didn't really even have time to slow down when she hit the other person. Prior to being hit, the other driver had spun out and driven up an embankment. She must still not have had any control over her car, because she came flying down it perpendicular to an oncoming smartycat... Her car was hit right by the driver's side door and she was taken by ambulance from the accident scene. Remember to hug those you love tonight. Things like this are just so scary...

#461 ·
Thanks for the hug MMM. I am sore as heck but OK. Before when it was just me, it would have been bad enough, but now I keep thinking... what if quasar was in the car? What if the baby was in the car?

Another sad thing is that I bought that car the same day we inseminated this cycle. Inseminate, buy car, inseminate again. So the baby was likely conceived that same day and now it is likely going to lose its little car buddy
. BUT, I have been thinking that maybe we should have bought a minivan or some other equally as annoying vehicle if we are going to be transporting a baby and 5 dogs when we travel. Oh but wait, that was going to my parents and my dad doesn't like me anymore. Eh, just thinking out loud. They may not even total the car.

Jen: Low carb / high protein diets are the bomb! I need to get my fat rear back on one. And don't worry about the low fat thing. One of the theories about why low carb is so good is that it is really the process of excess sugar being stored as fat that makes your cholesterol go up and not fat intake itself. So if you are low carbing it, then your fat intake doesn't matter as much. I know when I was Atkins-ing, I had the best cholesterol numbers ever. I had low bad cholesterol and high good cholesterol. I think Atkins is the only diet they have ever shown to make the good one go up. Obviously you can't be that strict now, but just saying don't beat yourself up so much about fat content if you are being super good about your carbs.

#463 ·
giggleblue, you're nominated as threadkeeper

I'd volunteer but I'm already in charge of the Dec 08 DDC roll call and if this thread is to be another seasonal one, I'm going to be tending a new baby while i'm tending to the roll call and I'm not going to have the time or energy!!

#464 ·
Is threadkeeper here even that hard? I guess I or quasar could do it. Run one for the rest of '08.

I'm still sore and super bruised. Half of my boob is a bruise and that is no small feat!
: But with more rain coming I am sad. The rain almost hurt my family yesterday.

#465 ·
smartycat, I'm glad you're okay. Don't dwell on the what ifs, because they didn't happen. And now you understand why you don't skimp on the car seat. (My personal subtle plug for a Britax.)

My friends down the street loathe minivans and they have a Toyota Pathfinder for their two children and absolutely immense dog - I have no idea what breed it is but he comes up to my waist and he weighs 140 lbs. It works well for them. And it's not a minivan.

Passing you a tube of arnica pellets (to help with the bruising)... jen

#467 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
giggleblue, you're nominated as threadkeeper

I'd volunteer but I'm already in charge of the Dec 08 DDC roll call and if this thread is to be another seasonal one, I'm going to be tending a new baby while i'm tending to the roll call and I'm not going to have the time or energy!!
alright, i started one!

#468 ·
wow smartycat, glad you are ok!!! car accidents are scary.

we are thinking about a larger vehicle once dp is pregnant with #2, and if we end up with multiples it will be a necessity. the company i work for has employee discount deals with basically all the major dealers, so that coupled with trade-in and tax refund should make it less painful. my car is paid for with low mileage, dp's only has a couple of years to go before it's paid for too. if anyone has suggestions, please send 'em my way.

g

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.