Mothering Forum banner

how much is your baby pooping a day?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  psychocandy 
#1 ·
I feel like he is pooping too much. At 9.5 weeks he's still pooping 5-7 pooy diapers a day! Most of them during or right after a feeding. He's gaining slow too. Could that be why?

#2 ·
I'd say it's totally normal. DS would poop before, during and after feedings for the first three months. It was crazy. He basically had a dirty diaper with every wet diaper. I was a little surprised that DD is one of those "once a week" babies. I never have to worry about a change of clothes for her.

#3 ·
My guys is just approaching 9 weeks and he still poops at least 5 and maybe 10 or more times a day. Usually after or during eating he goes. Now we dont' have any issues with gaining. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't very close to 15lbs. (exclusively breastfed). I wouldn't worry about it.

Have you asked the doc, midwife, lac consultant about his weight gain? I don't think the pooping and weight gain would be related but I'm not really sure. Is he eating regularly 8-12 times a day? Is he getting lots of hind milk? I feed only on one side for 2 hours as my baby can be a snacker some days so he may be off and on several times in that 2 hours period. So unless he starts acting like it's completely empty (popping off after a few sucks but then seeming to still want to eat) I just keep him on that one side till it's totally drained. Are the poops nice and yellow and what you'd expect to see from him getting enough fat?

#4 ·
To reply to what Miss E said... isn't it funny how 2 kids can be so different? My first rarely spit up and this new little one is what I would call a puker. With my first I wondered why people kept giving me so many of those darn receiving blankets. I just had this drawer of like 100 receiving blankets and they just sat there. Well boy do I appreciate all those blankets now. I do loads of laundry that seem like they're almost all receiving blankets.

I was worried about this "spitting up" (although it seems sometimes like a lot more than spitting up) too like you Chakra with the pooping, but the midwife assured me it was okay and he is fine. I'm sure your guy is too.

#5 ·
Kendall is 10 weeks and poops once, maybe twice a day. I can definitely count him to have a bowel movement in the middle of the night though. LOL

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA_PI View Post
Kendall is 10 weeks and poops once, maybe twice a day. I can definitely count him to have a bowel movement in the middle of the night though. LOL
FF babies are reliable about poops like that.

Breast babies can poop as little or as often as they want to. I would not worry one bit. I don't think the pooping and weight gain would be related unless there is a hindmilk problem. You can try block feeding (one breast per feeding or per so many hours like pp suggested), especially if you tend to be engorged or leaky between feedings.

#7 ·
We call him Sir Schitzalot.
He poos slowly it drives me nuts...
he will poo every five minutes for like a half hour...
not one big poo and get it over with..

and they are loud poos like motor boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.