Mothering Forum banner

Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread

16K views 258 replies 57 participants last post by  weliveintheforest 
#1 ·
HI!
I was hoping that we can get together and talk about building stockpiles and general emergency preparedness as well as survival skills etc

We are stocking up right now because with the financial markets tanking we are concerned that we will either be in a situation where we can't afford food or that food will not be available (banking holiday)

I would like this thread to be for support only
:

Anyone Else???

Helpful LINKS

How to Make An OVEN from a Cardboard Box!
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com...-box-oven.html

As for foraging, if you live in the Pacific Northwest this is a great book
http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Wi.../dp/0882403699

Basic food storage guide lines
http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com/ar...eid=4&zoneid=1

Link to a serious prepper's EXCELLENT prepping guide. "I know him from a survivalist and emergency prepping forum and he is level-headed and smart about prepping. I've gotten tons of great advice from him. He's not a tin-foil donning weirdo. His guide is worth printing out."
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

This page has instructions to make a whole bunch of different solar ovens, most of them very cheaply
http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

Just for reference sake:
Here's the one that started it all

Second Old thread here

Third thread that's now debating

Here's a link from a guy who lived through the Argentinian collapse and how it has affected society and his family's habits. Btw, I have a 20+ page essay that goes into more detail about the changes society went through. If anyone's interested, please pm me with your email addy.

Blog about Argentina's collapse and its effects up to today

And this link is from a couple of LDS women, I think. They make food storage much more simple to figure out (look at their baby steps). The one thing I like is that they offer an excel spreadsheet that you enter your meals into, which then calculates what & how much you need to buy of each ingredient used in the meals. lol, I hope what I just said makes sense.
Food Storage made easy

Canned Butter
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...-butter/Detail

Canned Coffee
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Costa/Detail

But somehow canned cottage cheese sounds really gross!
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...Cheeses/Detail

How to Make Lye Soap
(Thanks Velochic!!)

6lbs. of lard
1 can of Red Devil Lye (I get this at my hardware store, but it's a country general store and I've heard getting pure lye in cities is hard because it's a meth ingredient)
2.5 pints of cold water

-Add the lye to the cold water (do not add the water to the lye!)
-The water will heat up through a chemical process, when it is warm, not hot, add it to the lard and stir it to melt the fat.
-When it's cool, pour it into a wooden box.
-This soap get hard, so make sure you don't let it cool too much before you cut it. Let it cool overnight and viola!

There are some gotchas. The first step... mind that one. Make sure your utensils and pot are safe for lye (Dad has an enamel pot he uses). They cannot be used for cooking afterward. Lye is dangerous, so use gloves. If you want to add a scent, like rose water or scented oil, do it after the lard is melted, but before the soap gets too stiff.

See less See more
#203 ·
Ok, kinda OT but I've been dying to ask this question for a while: Where is this 'impending' talk coming from? Ever since the 'impending' bird flu was set to become a pandemic in 2006 I've been wondering what all the hype is about. How is a pandemic 'impending' when there are no signs of a new virus coming out? I dunno, maybe I'm tinfoiling a bit, but is someone trying to set up a massive pandemic??? Make $$$ from the flu shot? It just doesn't make sense that a pandemic has been 'impending' for 2+ yrs, ya know?

Ami

#204 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Ok, kinda OT but I've been dying to ask this question for a while: Where is this 'impending' talk coming from? Ever since the 'impending' bird flu was set to become a pandemic in 2006 I've been wondering what all the hype is about. How is a pandemic 'impending' when there are no signs of a new virus coming out? I dunno, maybe I'm tinfoiling a bit, but is someone trying to set up a massive pandemic??? Make $$$ from the flu shot? It just doesn't make sense that a pandemic has been 'impending' for 2+ yrs, ya know?

Ami
I don't know about impending flu issues, but I can tell you I'm definitely worried about impending line of credit issues and the potential for short term supply disruptions caused by the same. Plus, after Hurricane Ike, I've realized the power of my stockpile. I convinced a neighbor to let me hang out in their house when we had no power in exchange for cooking them dinner from my stockpile. Ahh, the joys of AC.

ETA - I'm not sure where all of the 'impending' flu talk is coming from. My DH has been on me forever to buy H5N1-proof masks.

#205 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
I don't know about impending flu issues, but I can tell you I'm definitely worried about impending line of credit issues and the potential for short term supply disruptions caused by the same. Plus, after Hurricane Ike, I've realized the power of my stockpile. I convinced a neighbor to let me hang out in their house when we had no power in exchange for cooking them dinner from my stockpile. Ahh, the joys of AC.

thats is when i learned the wonders of my stash too!!
my husband and i always make sure that we have a stock pile during hurricane season and man are we glad that we did.

#211 ·
And I found this

Quote:
These are not coffins they are grave liners, the coffin fits inside of them. They are used to keep the grounds from collapsing as the coffin rots away. They are mainly used in National Cemeteries ( VA )But they are using concrete ones, I know because I used to make them

#214 ·
There are actually several websites devoted to this topic if you google. Yes, they are confirmed by interview with manufacturer to be coffins and are used as such, not just as grave liners. Why they are out in the open in anybody's guess. It creeps me out. There are several You Tube footages of them taken by locals. They are being added to, and there is a google earth photo that would astound you to see how many of them there are over such a large area.

#215 ·
So I've just spend the last 1/2 hour googling about and am no longer freaked out by the idea of the gov stockpiling coffins. I grew up next to a cemetery, and these really do look like plastic versions of the cement vaults they put coffins into to a) ensure the grave does not cave in if/when the coffin rots and b) keep out grave robbers (though I don't know how well the plastic would keep out a grave robber... if there are even people who rob graves these days, that is).

Though the thought sure is sensational, isn't it?
At first I was like OMG! We're all gonna die!

#216 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
There are actually several websites devoted to this topic if you google. Yes, they are confirmed by interview with manufacturer to be coffins and are used as such, not just as grave liners. Why they are out in the open in anybody's guess. It creeps me out. There are several You Tube footages of them taken by locals. They are being added to, and there is a google earth photo that would astound you to see how many of them there are over such a large area.
OK... I did as you suggested and googled this. Unfortunately I didn't get any info from a reliable source. I won't go into detail but the sites that gave this information also said things like the contrails of commercial planes are actually poison that the government is using on Americans.
Please don't let whacked out conspiracy theories creep you out. We have plenty of real issues to deal with in life to be creating more from others paranoia.

#218 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Unfortunately I didn't get any info from a reliable source.
I did, but the thread I posted it in got removed. I found a letter online from the company who made those specific liners, and they said that they manufacture and order them in huge quantities and they go to cemeteries all over the place (all over the US at least, if not the world), hence the number. They're sitting there waiting to be purchased and shipped out.

I forgot what site I read that on, but a Google search should turn up the original scanned letter...that's how I found it. The story freaked me out at first, but it does seem to be a pretty good explanation, especially coming right from the manufacturer. Of course, they COULD be lying, but since I have no proof of that I'm not going down that road.

#219 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
I did, but the thread I posted it in got removed. I found a letter online from the company who made those specific liners, and they said that they manufacture and order them in huge quantities and they go to cemeteries all over the place (all over the US at least, if not the world), hence the number. They're sitting there waiting to be purchased and shipped out.

I forgot what site I read that on, but a Google search should turn up the original scanned letter...that's how I found it. The story freaked me out at first, but it does seem to be a pretty good explanation, especially coming right from the manufacturer. Of course, they COULD be lying, but since I have no proof of that I'm not going down that road.

Yes, I saw the original documents too when the story first broke last summer. I wish I had bookmarked it. Maybe I can find it again.

#222 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A View Post
interesting article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27244465/
That's awesome that they interviewed Jim Rawles for the article:

Quote:
"There are a lot more people - a lot more eager people - who are trying to get themselves squared away logistically," said Rawles, who lectures and writes books on preparing for and surviving "TEOTWAWKI" - The End Of The World As We Know It.
That's me exactly - trying to get squared away logistically.

#226 ·
Oh, crap.

Maybe there is something to that flu pandemic/500,000 coffins thing after all...

So What Were Top Military Commanders From The US and Europe Doing at the Trudeau Institute?

Quote:
'Well, on the 1st October 2008 Bush signed into being the Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009 (H.R. 2638), which includes $1.6 million in additional research funding to support a joint program between scientists at the Trudeau Institute and the U.S. Navy to develop a pandemic influenza vaccine.'

Quote:
On October 1st, the same day that Bush activated the [Army] 1st Brigade domestically, the Office of the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services released a disturbing "Declaration Under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act":

Quote:
So began Dark Winter, a bioterrorist exercise that played out over two days this summer at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, DC.

Quote:
So why are all these key players in the NWO and neoconservative movement sponsoring exercises in Biological terrorism?
So here we are just before the elections in the US, The bottom dropping out of the economies in both Europe and the US, McCain floundering in Obamas wake, and the government in need of another terrorist attack to postpone the elections and declare martial law and give the green light to an attack on Iran by the joint forces of Israel and the US

And there are the joint chiefs of staff from Europe and the US at a secret meeting at a biological research facility run by a Rockerfeller associate which produces vaccines for Asian flu amongst other things.

World depopulation is also on the global elites mind and has been for years

Would they pull another 9/11?

They wouldnt dare do that , would they?
This is another 'must-read.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.