Mothering Forum banner

Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby

103K views 490 replies 120 participants last post by  Ragana 
#1 ·
IT'S WORKING!

About a week ago I posted that I was attempting to grow my own SCOBY from a bottle of GT Dave's Synergy Kombucha (raspberry flavor). Here's my detailed report on the experiment:

Day 1 -- I poured about 8 ounces of the bottled Kombucha into a clean, quart-size glass measuring cup. It had a nice blob of "stuff" floating in there, about 1" diameter, hanging out close to one side of the cup. I covered the measuring cup with a thin towel, secured with rubber band, and set it in a cupboard.

Day 5 -- I peeked and saw a very thin translucent "film" floating above the darker blob of stuff, and expanding outward by an inch or so. There was also some thin filmy stuff floating along the opposite wall of the measuring cup. The level of liquid in the cup had decreased to about 6 ounces.

Day 8 (Today!) -- I checked tonight and, to my surprise, the entire surface of the measuring cup is already covered with a translucent film in a layer approx. 1/2 inch thick. The level of liquid in the cup has now decreased to about 4 ounces.

It's definitely a SCOBY in there! I'll have to give it a girl name, as it's a lovely pale pink color.

Now what should I do?

I wasn't expecting it to be "born" quite so soon! I feel unprepared!

I raided my cupboards looking for tea, and the only non-herbal tea I could find was five individually wrapped teabags that just say "Lipton 100% Brisk Tea." Is this black tea? I have no idea how old it is... years, probably. Will it still work if it's old tea?

Should I go ahead and make a whole batch of tea as per NT instructions, and put my baby SCOBY in there? Or start with a smaller batch of tea since it's just a delicate baby?

The birth of a SCOBY...so exciting.

Iris

See less See more
#377 ·
Hello all, I'm pretty much new to this whole area and stuff. Anyway, I was quite amazed and captivated by this thread that I had to experiment on my own. Here goes it:

today at about 2:50p.m. (cst) I purchased two bottles of G.T.'s Kombucha, one Trilogy, and the other 100% Kombucha. OK, i drove home. Oh yeah, i did purchase some cheese cloth too. Apparently Whole Foods Market is the way to go for me.

3:25 p.m. I had to go pick up the kids from Music school...I rushed to my kitchen and saw a glass pitcher. I said to myself, "this will do." I had to decide on which kombucha to use. it was a hard decision, but i finally decided to use the 100% kombucha.

3:49 p.m. I had cheese cloth, kombucha, and glass pitcher all ready. i poured half the bottle in the glass pitcher and covered it with cheese cloth. Finally, i placed the kombucha in a safe place.

now, my question...where do i go from here? any info would be great

Talidoo

#379 ·
today i recieved a scoby in the post from a friend.

i was expecting a small thing, but no it was quite big, way too big for me to use as is today as i dont have any wide necked large jars. so i am using 2 cleaned out cooking sauce jars. the scoby came with a "baby" so i peeled it off then cut the mother in half and put half in one jar, the "baby" in another and the other half back in teh bottle it came from untill i can get another bigger jar. so i now have 2 jars brewing.

Kiz

#380 ·
I'm ready to bottle my KT finally. The bottles and lids have all been washed, and I'm getting ready to brew a new batch of sweet tea for the refill.

As far as flavors, I'm sure I'll use ginger alot. We use it in cooking, and I love a good gingery GT's GingerBerry. I also have some fresh pears that I'm considering using. But most of the posts here talk about using frozen fruits, so I'm not sure how different using fresh or frozen fruits might be. I also have some other frozen fruits, mango for one and I'll make at least one with that cuz DP's mentioned "mango" several times lately when I talk about bottling.
And I think I'll also use frozen strawberry. I'm gonna run DP to work and then come back and get brewing.

So, does anyone have advice on using fresh or frozen fruits in the bottling ferment? Do you have to adjust portions depending on that or do you use the same amount regardless of fresh or frozen, or do you just not use fresh at all?

Thanks!

#383 ·
Thanks velcromom. I'm going to go ahead and use the pear too then.

talidoo, now is a good time to get your fermenting jars, lots of people use 1 gallon glass jars. I think at least 2 just cuz one isn't very much and if your scoby(s) gets attacked by mold or some other malady you will have a back up. If you don't already know where, I'd also find out where to get good organic green and black tea. I buy bulk instead of bags, but that is just me. Cheesecloth or some other cloth to cover your jars and a warm, quiet, dark place for the big jars to ferment. That's really it. Oh, and of course some bottles for bottling your KT. I'm using a mix of GT's and High Country bottles. I like the amber better. I hope to purchase some of those flip top type bottles soon though. It's simple, the hardest part is waiting for the ferment. GL

#387 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsypoet View Post
Anyone have a scoby around Richmond VA to give away. I am so interested in trying this.
LOL, did you read the thread yet? Read at least the first few pages. It's all about how to grown your own scoby instead of having to get one from someone else. It's really FUN, you should try it.
:

But if you have your heart set on someone giving you a scoby instead, try posting a request in the Sticky at the top of the Traditional Foods page.

Best wishes.

#388 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
my scoby got moldy.....
what did I do wrong?
: So sorry, I don't know. I think someone posted a link a page or two back to a troubleshooting site. Maybe that would help?

At least you can always grow a new scoby and start over.

#389 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
Fantastic thread! I just had someone come into my store asking about making Kombucha and I had no idea. I thought someone at MDC must know and viola, there is a whole thread on it. I'll start this week on my scoby.

Welcome mamatoablessing! Best wishes on your scoby-growing, and please let us know how it goes.

#390 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by delfuego View Post
transfer to individual bottles - I have been adding a little bit of syrup from my fruit canning at this point which makes the finished product really fizzy with a taste of peaches or spiced pears.

Alyssa, this sounds really good!
Lately I like my kombucha extra fizzy and a little on the sweeter side, too.

#391 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
I have two questions......

Do you always taste your tea, even during the ferment process? Is it weird that I've not tasted my KT even though I've had tea fermenting with scoby for a month? I've promised DP that we are going to bottle some from each of these jars when it's ready. It's only been 4 days, so that's a little soon, but I'm guessing in maybe 6-7 days I'll bottle?

Where are some of the unique places you use for the fermenting process? I have my KT covered with a thin, white, cotton kitchen towel. Is that enough, should a thicker, more light blocking towel also be used? Where and with what do you ferment?

Long Live KT and those who Love KT Live Long

Hi peace_laughing, I think your questions were already answered (I hope? Sorry haven't been on the thread very much lately) but I wanted to say that I don't always taste the tea during the ferment process. I did in the beginning but now I never do. I'm not very "structured" about it any more. I just let it go fot anywhere between 7 to 14 days... in fact, lately the main factor in when I bottle it is when I noticed I'm running out of kombucha to drink. I get down to the last one or two bottles and think, "Oh no, I'm running out, I better bottle the next batch!" I'm not saying this is the best approach, just that I've gotten lazy.
: Fourteen days is about the max for me, in terms of how long I've let it go and still liked the taste. Any longer than this and it is getting too vinegary for me.

About the towel to cover, I use a white "flour sack" style towel and I double it, then rubber-band it in place over the brewing jar. I'm not concerned so much about it blocking light as about it keeping out fruit flies, which so far it has done quite successfully.

#392 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieren View Post
YAY!! I started my own scoby 3 days ago from Strawberry Kombucha from the store. I poured about half the bottle in a glass measuring cup, and put a towel over it and set it in the cupboard. My baby scoby started out on the bottom, and today he has floated to the top! I'm soooo excited!!!!
:

Sieren, that is exciting. Congratulations on the baby.
How's it going now?

#393 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by talidoo View Post
now, my question...where do i go from here? any info would be great

Talidoo
Welcome Talidoo, and thanks for posting about your experiment. It looks like your questions have been answered already... yes, all you really have to do now is wait for the scoby to grow, and then be ready to brew your first batch of sweet tea.

Only caution I would give is about the cheesecloth. If it's a very loose weave cheesecloth, it might not keep the bugs (fruit flies) out. Just keep an eye on that if you see fruit flies hanging around.

#394 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
So, does anyone have advice on using fresh or frozen fruits in the bottling ferment? Do you have to adjust portions depending on that or do you use the same amount regardless of fresh or frozen, or do you just not use fresh at all?

Thanks!
I've used fresh, frozen, and/or a mix of both. Fresh fruit is great, but frozen works just fine, too, and is nice for the convenience. I've also used juices and juice concentrates and fruit rinds and ginger root. I'm very loose about portions and usually just "eyeball" it each time. A handful of this, a dash of that... just have fun and experiment, and you will create some delicious combinations, I'm sure!

#396 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTDormMom View Post
When flavoring at time of bottling. Just wondering about how much fruit etc.. do people use? I normally toss in about 2 berries per bottle. Also anyone have some fun crazy mix of fruits?
Oh my, well, I use WAY WAY more than 2 berries.
Do you even taste the fruit that way? I like my kombucha very fruity, I guess.

If I use raspberries, it's a large handful at least. Maybe about 2 Tablespoons worth? Or a small handful of raspberries and another small handful of blueberries.

I mostly use Grolsch bottles and lately I've been putting in the kombucha first, filling it up to the bottom of the neck of the bottle, and then filling it up the rest of the way with the fruit.

I had a post here awhile back about the fruit combinations I've tried, maybe around the middle of the thread? I don't have time to look right now. My favorite combo remains raspberries + ginger root.

#398 ·
I like the pineapple and ginger-- very yummy, but I must have put too much fruit in mine as the bottles had a tendency to be super fizzy and spurt out all over the kitchen- I cut the amount of pineapple in half for this last batch and while it is still super fizzy it doesn't spray me down as much- I just let the air leak a bit before opening.
But I have an odd question about the detoxing part of KT-- My new shower and my start of drinking KT happened at about the same time. I noticed an odd metallic smell while I was showering, like when you hold a bunch of change in your hand in the summer and it leaves that funky smell on your hand, I complained to the hubby and asked the son if either one of them smelled it, and if it was due to the new pipes or new shower-- neither of them say they smell it.. only me-- I was wondering if it is the KT making me pass unwanted metals or chemicals out of my skin? Anyone have something like this happen? I have never notice our water smelling coppery or metallic before.

#399 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldGardener View Post

But I have an odd question about the detoxing part of KT-- My new shower and my start of drinking KT happened at about the same time. I noticed an odd metallic smell while I was showering, like when you hold a bunch of change in your hand in the summer and it leaves that funky smell on your hand, I complained to the hubby and asked the son if either one of them smelled it, and if it was due to the new pipes or new shower-- neither of them say they smell it.. only me-- I was wondering if it is the KT making me pass unwanted metals or chemicals out of my skin? Anyone have something like this happen? I have never notice our water smelling coppery or metallic before.
EG, I have never had anything like this happen.
Not sure what to tell you. Are you still noticing the same smell?

#400 ·
I just bottled another batch of kombucha over the weekend, and experimented with some new flavors:

Apple Cider--this should be interesting!

Tangerine & pomegranate--I squeezed the juice out of one whole tangerine, then put the juice, pulp, seeds and all into the bottle...plus some pomegranate seeds. I did this one in a tall clear glass bottle (Lorina) and it looks so pretty with the pale orange color and then the red pomegranate seeds floating around.

Strawberry--mostly used the juice leftover from some frozen strawberries I thawed out.

Blackberry--used frozen whole blackberries.

Anyone else have some interesting flavor experiments to share?

#401 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
EG, I have never had anything like this happen.
Not sure what to tell you. Are you still noticing the same smell?
It seems to only be right in the beginning of my shower, after I soap up and rinse off no more smell. I just wondered if that was part of Detoxing, getting rid of unwanted stuff in my system.
I just bottled up a batch with Apple cider too! Plus I put a few slices of ginger in just to make it spicy..
I also got some nice clementine juice (bolthouse) on sale and used some of that with ginger to bottle up- so I look forward to letting you know how it tastes. The pineapple ginger combo is great- but the older the bottles get it is starting to smell a bit like beer(?) and seems a bit more alcoholic than normal, and super fizzy.
Usually around Thanksgiving I make orange/cranberry sauce from scratch and it has ginger in it, I might have to put some in the KT and see how that tastes..
One great thing about KT is that it has helped curb my craving for soda, and my face has cleared up quite a bit-- Mother Nature was being cruel- wrinkles and pimples at the same time.. naughty MN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.