Mothering Forum banner

Anyone else Ucing

836 views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  wrenmoon 
#1 ·
Were planning on UCing, I have been planning for this birth already for about a year. I am so excited. Anyone else going to UC?
:

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought about it, but I am going to have a midwife present. I plan on doing my own thing and just having the mw there just in case anything goes wrong. Plus I think it would be nice to have somebody to rely on postpartum besides DH.

I can't wait to hear all about yours!

#4 ·
Yes, this will be our first and it will actually be a UBAC. DD#2 was a c-section due to a complete previa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowsmom View Post
I wish! I would have liked to have a UBAC...but to ease the minds of others... I'll have an HBAC.

I'm excited for you! Will this be your first UC?

#6 ·
I'm planning a UC. I guess if I could pick a more descriptive acronym it would be UBAT, which is unassisted birth after trauma. However it has gone beyond wanting to avoid health care providers and further trauma to an ideological/philosophical motivation as well.

#7 ·
With DD I actually gave birth in a hospital operating room with 3 doctors in gowns, etc., just because the hospital had no available birthing rooms, and I couldn't have cared less. They may as well not have been there.

But I am no longer in a progressive part of the country, and my insurance doesn't cover midwives, so a hospital birth is now unattractive because I would probably end up in a fight with the staff/doctors. But I am daunted by the prospect of the paperwork, etc., necessitated by UC. And I can't afford to pay for a midwife out of pocket.

I am also worried about pp bleeding, because I did have a significant amount with DD. But I have heard there are herbs that work really well.

Also, I really want my DD to be there, as I think she would be the world's greatest (or worst
) doula. But seriously, I think it would be a great experience for her. And I am seriously doubting I will be able to convince the hospital to let her in.
:

So, anyway, I am thinking about it. I am not thinking too hard yet, as I am sort of in limbo wrt whether this pregnancy is viable, but I am undeniably thinking.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
I really want to UC. DH said NO WAY!!
Since he is in on this whole baby thing,
, I guess I should consider his feelings on it too.
That was what I expected my DH to say. He is, after all, a doctor, and he was, after all, _majorly_ freaked out about the amount of blood I lost when DD was born...but he said I can do whatever I want, as long as I don't go off into the swamp to give birth by myself. He said, "I mean, there are alligators out there. It's just not safe."
my DH.

Of course you should consider your DH's feelings, but childbirth is something _you_ are going to do and he is just going to watch. If you really want to UC, don't give up at the first negative response. Your DH probably just needs some education.

#10 ·
Shepards Purse is one of a handful of herbs that work for bleeding. I have a mixture called hemHalt ( blue cohosh, bayberry, yarrow and capsicum ) all great for bleeding. A simple way to tell if you need them is to before birth take 2 cup jug and fill it with red colored water. Toss that in the tub, on the floor, sop it up with towel because more then 2 cups is when it;s getting too much. If you learn what 2 cups look like before hand then you wont be guessing during your birth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post

I am also worried about pp bleeding, because I did have a significant amount with DD. But I have heard there are herbs that work really well.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by daileyjoy View Post
Shepards Purse is one of a handful of herbs that work for bleeding. I have a mixture called hemHalt ( blue cohosh, bayberry, yarrow and capsicum ) all great for bleeding. A simple way to tell if you need them is to before birth take 2 cup jug and fill it with red colored water. Toss that in the tub, on the floor, sop it up with towel because more then 2 cups is when it;s getting too much. If you learn what 2 cups look like before hand then you wont be guessing during your birth.
Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure DH will tell me when the blood is too much. He's the one who told the doctors during DD's birth.
They actually really underestimated how much I was bleeding, based on DH's assessment and the way I felt in the hours (and days) after the birth.

#12 ·
I am planning a UC. I will be using my same midwife as last time for backup though. It eases DH's mind that she lives 5 minutes away. He is still not 100% sure about UCing but I think/hope he will be.

#13 ·
My last birth was a planned UC (it was so fast it probably would have ended up a UC anyway) and it was awesome! This time we are planning a homebirth with the midwife there-I'm a surrogate so it's not technically my baby. My IM (intended mom) and the MW (who's a close friend of their's) are both cool with a UC, but IF (intended father) will be nervous so it's sort of our private joke that the MW will be there for him and not me, lol!

#15 ·
A UC is a birth that'e not attended by a medical professional. The mother and father usually educate themselves to handle any and all situtions that may arise during birth, it's also called freebirthing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisoninparis View Post
Sorry to be a noob but what's a UC?

#16 ·
I'm doing another hospital birth. I'm just way more comfortable in the hospital, ours allows rooming in, and I like getting taken care of (food, clean up, etc.). All of my births have been in hospitals. I would, however, like to have a birth doula with me to help

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
I'm doing another hospital birth. I'm just way more comfortable in the hospital, ours allows rooming in, and I like getting taken care of (food, clean up, etc.). All of my births have been in hospitals. I would, however, like to have a birth doula with me to help

I am right there with you... I am all for a woman's right to choose to birth wherever she dam well pleases though!!! I think if the circumstances surrounding DS's birth had been different I might be inclined to try a HB but after what we went through with him... good luck to all the UC-ers!!!! I look forward to hearing how it goes for everyone

#18 ·
My DD's birth a year ago was an unplanned UC, my labor was 45 minutes from start to baby.

It was hands down the most amazing experience of my life to have no choice but to trust my body fully and catch my own baby. I would do it again in a millisecond by I don't my DH loved the experience as much a I did...It was just he and my mom and our 23mo DS.

I was reaaly grateful for our midwifes postpartum support though. She arrived about 20 min later. We will probably try for something similar for this baby, me on my own with midwife help after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.