Mothering Forum banner

Have you bought anything for baby yet?

1K views 45 replies 38 participants last post by  LilMamiBella 
#1 ·
I don't know why but I am dying to buy something for this baby! Silly, I know. I am thinking of buying some yarn to knit a soaker or some longies. That would probably be the most practical thing b/c I don't really need much at all.

Has anybody else bought anything yet?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
I don't know why but I am dying to buy something for this baby! Silly, I know. I am thinking of buying some yarn to knit a soaker or some longies. That would probably be the most practical thing b/c I don't really need much at all.

Has anybody else bought anything yet?
nope! I usually always buy something but I have tons of stuff leftover that this new baby will be able to use. If we decide to fine out what this baby is, then I'll probably go out that day and buy something.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I haven't bought anything, but I knit a newborn cap with some yarn I had on hand! I actually knit it the day I got my +HPT, and used that to tell DH.
How sweet!

#6 ·
I have not bought anything, but I did make this baby a nb diaper last week. baby already has about 6 that I made from my last pg, which ended in m/c, so technically, this one just has the one diaper. I will not be buying any necessities for this baby. DH has agreed to let me buy a nice woven wrap, and thats really all we need

#8 ·
I bought a few pieces of clothes that were on clearnce. I have some stuff left from DS, but not tons. So, I'll need to buy clothes. And, as soon as DH gets paid, I'm buying 45 prefolds from a friend of mine. We still have DS's prefolds, but need some more. We did fulltime EC last time, and this time we'll probably be using diapers part time.

#9 ·
My friend that is done having kids has been giving me all her stuff, so I've got a garage full of stuff, including a stroller.

I bought these adorable crocheted hats from a street vendor long before I was even pregnant. They look like a bluebell with the stem coming out of the top. Really cute. But I haven't gotten anything for the baby since I've been pregnant. I'm kinda holding off until the u/s.

#10 ·
I bought a few little outfits for Halloween. Only because they were 90% off! I am sorta waiting till I know that everything is cool. I'm a little superstitious I guess.

I will get a ton of hand-me-downs because my sister in law just had twins, a boy and a girl! So no matter what I am good! Their b-day is in July so they will be a year apart. Good timing on my part I should say.
She has been talking about giving me all of her stuff for a while now. The other good thing is that the clothes will all be the right season!

When she was buying a co-sleeper she asked me which one I wanted so that I will like it when I get it. lol!

I really want to knit some stuff though. I am not the best knitter, but winter always makes me want to. I ordered a few hat books from the library.

#11 ·
I doubt we will actually buy much (as far as clothes go, I buy everything in thrift stores anyhow), but I have at least 5 baby carriers that my DD has outgrown that I am saving for this one.

And I am pretty sure that I will end up buying a few more.

I am a bit of a carrier addict.

#12 ·
I'm waiting to find out the sex before I buy anything. We already have tons of girl clothes, and since this baby has the same due date as my daughter did (!!) all the clothes will be the right season at the right time. If it's a boy, I'll be doing lots of shopping! We saved all of our cloth diapers, I have four carriers, that's about all we'd ever need. I do want to knit some longies for winter though, and figure out how to make ones out of wool sweaters.

#13 ·
All I need is a breast pump, a double stroller, a car seat and I'm figuring clothes will be passed to me, we have huge family (oh, and a 6 drawer dresser for my toddler so we can give the other two little ones to the baby). So, no...but I've been snatching up cloth dipes etc from freecycle, because I have "enough," but, my life will be much easier if I have a few more in the smaller sizes at least.

With my first, we had just found out his gender and we bought tons of "Christmas" gifts and after the first of he year we kept buying and buying lol...then I gave almost everything away---and we still have more than enough. Oh well, you live and learn lol.

#14 ·
No! I'm waiting for our container to arrive from South Africa to see what I packed :) Not planning on finding out the sex of this baby, but if it is a boy we are sure to have enough clothes since we already have six boys. If it is a girl, that will be a totally different story!!! :) :)

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOMYS View Post
No! I'm waiting for our container to arrive from South Africa to see what I packed :) Not planning on finding out the sex of this baby, but if it is a boy we are sure to have enough clothes since we already have six boys. If it is a girl, that will be a totally different story!!! :) :)
Wowie! 6 boys!

As for me, I've bought a few second-hand cloth diapers (most of my dd2's are lent out, and I want some new fluff!!), and a couple of nice unbleached cotton sleepers that were on clearance. I got a lot of 100% cotton stuff from an American Apparel co-op for the baby that I m/c, so that stuff is fresh and washed for this little bundle too!

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blissful_maia View Post
. I got a lot of 100% cotton stuff from an American Apparel co-op for the baby that I m/c, so that stuff is fresh and washed for this little bundle too!
Sort of OT, but I would love to get in on an AA co-op...do you know if there will be another one anytime soon with the group you did it with??

#18 ·
This is my 3rd, so I really don't need to buy anything specifically for the baby. I do need to get some new premium prefolds, but my ds2 will wear them first (the ones I have are starting to fray and get holes after 2 kids). Other than that, the baby gets a used Sienna since my car won't fit 3 car seats across the back seat! But we're not getting that until this spring.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reha View Post
Sort of OT, but I would love to get in on an AA co-op...do you know if there will be another one anytime soon with the group you did it with??
PMing you!

#21 ·
I picked up a gender neutral sweater in 6m and a little hat in 3-6m. It is so weird for me to think about a summer baby because both of my girls had to be bundled up all the time for fall and winter. I have plenty of t shirts and onesies to put this one in and the spring clothes from my dds should work for fall for this baby. I just need a King size bed and a beco and I will be set.

#22 ·
I had to run into Babies R Us a few weeks ago to get a baby shower present and I saw an adorable long sleeve onesie that was made of organic cotton and covered with little peace signs. It was TOO adorable and I had to buy it.

DH and I were shooting for a new baby to arrive between May and July - our DD is a May baby and DS is a July baby and I saved EVERYTHING, so no matter which gender we have, I have more than enough seasonal clothes. We still have all our other baby gear.

I'm looking forward to buying a new baby carrier (probably a Wrapsody wrap) and a new diaper bag! I LOVE getting a new, snazzy diaper bag. My first was so boring and utilitarian so since I didn't need to buy any new gear for the second, I splurged on a bag. I plan on doing it this time, too! I might buy cloth diapers, I can't decide if I want to try that route or not. I've always used disposables, but I might make the change since we'll be in our own house by then, with our own washer and dryer...

#23 ·
Haven't, and won't, for a while.

Will definitely hit garage sales this summer, though. DD was an October baby so will need some NB stuff in tiny sizes. We plan to find out what the baby is, and if it's a boy, we'll likely inherit a bunch from friends, but will probably buy a few things, especially deals at garage sales since I imagine this will be our last summer of family garage-saleing for a while. Just can't imagine doing it with 2 kids. With DD, I really stocked up and even got up to 4T sizes which was impulsive but wonderful in retrospect.

#24 ·
I bought some really nice swaddle clothes of muslim with pretty designs on them. I'm waiting to find out what we are going to have though to do any more shopping. If we are going to have a girl, I will need to buy a lot. If the baby is a boy, I won't need to buy anything. I also need figure out what diapers I will use for the baby and get some. I'm trying out prefolds on Sam now to see if I like them.

#25 ·
I haven't bought anything yet. This is my first, so I'm going to need everything. We are also pretty broke, so I really just want to keep it to the basics. The funny thing is, the one thing I really want to buy is a pair of baby saddle shoes. I know, baby shoes are so unnecessary, but dh and I are swing dancers, it's how we met and a large part of how we got to know each other. Our dancing shoes are matching black/white saddle style and a few days before I found out I was pregnant, I was looking at our shoes sitting next to each other and thought it would make an adorable pregnancy announcement to take a picture of his big shoes, my smaller ones, and itty bitty baby ones, with a line about how we're expecting a new pair of dancing feet. The problem is the only ones I can find are $30-$40. For baby shoes! That don't even get walked on! Sigh...if anyone sees any cheap somewhere send me a line.

#26 ·
oh man if you didnt buy anything BEFORE you were actually pregnant you are doing good as far as im concerned. we had a little stash of those outfits that were just to cute to pass up a few months before the pregnancy. havent bought anything since i got pregnant though, oddly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.