Mothering Forum banner

A little early but...what baby carriers are you coveting?

2K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  dinahx 
#1 ·
OK, I admit that I'm a baby carrier addict. It didn't start until baby #3 so it wasn't the most economical habit

But carriers were a life saver for me with 2 other kids and they made my life so much easier.....until he was 2 and decided he had to RUN everywhere

Luckily I still have some of my favorites since I give babywearing presentations but I did break down and buy a ruby velvet Eden mei tai just recently. Not great for summer but it'll be awesome for next winter. It is sooooo soft!

I would really like a silk sling again-I had one and sold it but it was truly a super comfy carrier and gorgeous. I won't spend the crazy prices that I see but I'll find one used I hope.

Any carriers/mei tais/slings/pouches you are eyeing already??

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been wanting a German woven wrap since last year. I frequently joked with DH that we'd have to have more kids just to justify buying one! I tried a friend's with DD and I was so impressed with how well it distributed the weight and how little I felt her 30 lbs on me.

#3 ·
I had a friend a few years ago that had a major wrap collection-like 20 of them! She spent an absolute fortune on them but she said it was a useful hobby LOL. She had some german wraps that were silk blends that were amazingly soft-I wanted to use them as a blanket.

Alas, I never got the wrap love-the mei tais were always easier for me to manage. Doesn't mean I don't have 2 wraps that I try to love
But they don't get much use.

#5 ·
I have a very nice carrier stash from my last 2 babies, but the two carriers I used the most with my last newborn (last winter) won't be very useful in the summer: a fleece Calin Bleu wrap and a Connecta with sherpa lining.

So I will either buy a summery stretchy wrap or just teach myself to wrap a newborn in one of my Didymos
(I don't know why, but I suck at wrapping newborns with wovens...)

#7 ·
right now i have a nice collection of made by me MT's. I also have a ring sling that i made, and a cheap wrap. For the NB days, I am going to get a nice stretchy wrap, i will make some more ring slings, and I am going to get a nice woven wrap

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
For anyone new to baby wearing this site is THE place to go to learn more about carriers and it has a used board:
www.thebabywearer.com
Aaah! Thank you!
I've only had the chance to covet other people's baby-wearing. I love those cozy looking slings... but I had no idea there were so many options! This should help

#11 ·
I absolutely loved my Maya Wrap - used it for almost 2 years straight! I loved that it was comfy, not too hot (and I live in Las Vegas), and could easily nurse in it. This time around I want to try a Moby Wrap, and am wondering if I should splurge and get a Moby D - thinking that might last past the first few months. I really like having just a piece of fabric to carry - other carriers like the ergo look comfy but what happens when the baby doesn't want to be in it anymore? I don't want to lug anything around that I can't just throw in my purse!

#12 ·
I got an 'ultimate baby wrap' I think it's called; similar to a Moby but it has a ring to fasten the ends instead of tying a knot like the Moby. I loved it til DS was about 9 months I think, and then I started using a ring-sling for hip carry all the time. So small and convenient, but DS was pretty big and I couldn't use it for long trips, just short outings. I would really love to get an Ergo, gotta go check that site out and see if there are any used ones there; I think that would be a great one for the older months. I made a mei tai but it was such a hassle to get on, dug into my shoulders more than my moby-style wrap, and if I tied it over DS' legs he was uncomfortable, and he seemed more slippy if I tied it under. Anyone getting rid of an Ergo ???

#13 ·
I have a moby wrap that I wore when Seth was a tot, but after he became heavier than 20# or so, it was too stretchy. I would love suggestions for a wrap that those who love the moby like with fabric that is woven rather than knit.

#15 ·
I've got a bunch of carriers. A Ten Toes Mutt that was a favorite, a couple of handmade ring slings, a MT, a SSC (but for the life of me I can't remember what one). I've got a beautiful old Martin wrap that I love but wish it was a little longer. . I'll probably try swapping it for a larger woven wrap. Becasue this will be a summer baby I might pick up a Gypsy Mama wrap as well.

I'm going to try to keep myself in line
With my first babe I was a diaper addict, with #2 it was carriers. . .hoping to avoid any addictions this time around

#18 ·
I have been a baby wearer since my nanny days, so for a total of nearly 9 years now. My first, way back when, was a NOJO ring sling, better than anything else I knew of back then but would drive me batty now. I am satisfied with my collection as it stands now...Though there is ALWAYS room for one more

I currently have and love
My Maya Wrap ring sling, very compact, portable, and multi purpose.
A first and second generation Ergo. I only use them for front or back carries as I think the maya feels much more secure for a hip carry.
Last pregnancy I made a few moby style wraps out of fabric I really liked I made them of non stretchy cloth so that I could tie an infant on very snugly.

#19 ·
I just won the organic hotsling on ebay Friday night and am very excited to get it. It will be a little hot for summer, but should be perfect for late sept-oct. I also want a moby style and meitai.

#20 ·
Has anyone tried a sleepy wrap? I never used baby carriers with my first...we have a Baby Bjorn and my back would kill after 15 minutes and I never really explored the carrier world further. But I'd like one this time around or maybe 2! I've heard positive things about the sleepy wrap.

#22 ·
I have a ring sling (don't know what brand) that I bought with ds1, and I loved to use it to nurse ds2 while I chased ds1. I have a mama made mei tai I bought off of ebay, but I find the body of it a bit small, so I'm planning to make my own with this pattern:

http://www.sewmamasew.com/ccp0-prodshow/PTMHBC.html

I also have a cotton Hotsling, which I really like. I got it as my splurge with ds2 and it was great for hip carries. He preferred the mei tai when he was a tiny babe, though, he liked to be upright. I have thought of getting a wrap, but I don't know if I would use it that much, now that I am used to a mei tai.

I live in a fairly conservative small town, and when I started wearing ds1, 4 years ago, I was the only baby wearer in town, so I'm now kind of known as the "baby carrier lady" because I have so many. There are three or four other women who wear their babies around town, and a few more I know of that use slings at home, which is fantastic.

#23 ·
Right now I still have a Maya wrap and a long stretchy Moby-like wrap that I used with my son. I have to say that with having large breasts, the Maya wrap was not always comfortable. It is hard to get the ring into the little one inch space between my breast tissue and my shoulder.

I sew, so I am thinking of making a few carriers this winter to use with the new LO this summer. I want to make a pouch sling and a mei tei for sure. And once I get on some websites and start looking at patterns I am sure I'll find at least 10 more I want to make!

#24 ·
I want a Beco!!! I had a hotsling and a moby with DD but I never really took to wrapping and the hotsling just doesn't do well with the crazy weight adjustments my body made in the months after I had her. My friend already gave me a ring sling, which I'm excited about. But I am absolutely drooling over Beco's. Of course, I will never be able to afford one, but a girl can dream...right?

#25 ·
Lol, this is MY kind of thread! Do you know that the first thing that came to my mind when I found out I was pregnant this time was, "Oh goodie, I get to use my baby slings again!" I was truly sad that I didn't think I would ever get to use my baby slings again and I had already picked out the slings I was going to put away into my boys' memory boxes with hopes that maybe I would get to use them when I finally have grandkid. I have a lot of carriers, but my all time fav are the mei tai's. I even have one a brand new colibribaby MT that I never got a chance to use. They were VERY hard to get at the time that I got one. I just looked it up and saw that she is no longer making them.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I have a Moby and that is my FAVORITE for the first few months. But, I do covet a woven wrap for after that. I also want a Beco to replace my Ergo. I already have like eight carriers, so further purchases really can't be justified!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just saw an ad for Becos the other day...they are SOOOO pretty!

I too LOVED my moby. So many times at the grocery store I'd get double-take looks from people, the hey- you've gotta baby in there look.

I had a hotsling, but I didn't care for it too much.

I do have an ergo, and I love it. And I love that my dh loves it- almost too much. We'd argue over whose turn it was to wear him!

I also have a sling/pouch hybrid made locally. I love that one too, it worked great when ds was little and evidently allergic to naps, and it worked great later as a hip carry. It's called the Wise Woman Sling. I like the name!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.