Mothering Forum banner

Tribe for Midwifery Students 2008!!

74K views 2K replies 133 participants last post by  maxmama 
#1 ·
Our other thread was really getting long and I thought maybe it'd be good to start a new one... appropriately on New Years Day 2008!

This year will be full of wonder for all of us, Dear Ones- I can just feel it!

May your studies progress most appropriately to completion with ease, may your eyes see clearly, may your hands touch gently, may your trust in birth bring comfort and support to the women, babies, and families you will touch this year.

J.

See less See more
#1,779 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
majik- why can your DH not come? they are very accommodating about families.
it's nothing to do with bumi sehat.
my dp is Israeli. Israel and Indonesia have no peace agreement (and as it turns out, war is the legal default
), and therefore Israelis can not enter Indonesia (and vice versa). it's very restricting for us. he can't enter, use the airlines of, or even take flights that include a stopover or refuelling stop in about 20% of the world countries

hopefully, by mid 2010, dp will get australian citizenship, and then we'll be fine. but in the meantime, if I want to do bumi sehat, (and I DEARLY want to), it has to be without DP

Quote:

Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I did it. I'm officially a student midwife. I'm starting AAMI. I don't know why, but committing to something like this is a really big deal for me. I'm terrified of failure, so I'm sure I'll be here a lot looking for support!!
welcome and congrats!

#1,781 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I did it. I'm officially a student midwife. I'm starting AAMI. I don't know why, but committing to something like this is a really big deal for me. I'm terrified of failure, so I'm sure I'll be here a lot looking for support!!
Congratulations!! Welcome to the club!

Quote:

Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
he can't enter, use the airlines of, or even take flights that include a stopover or refuelling stop in about 20% of the world countries
Wow. I had no idea about that. That must be terribly difficult.

#1,785 ·
Today I've been planning out my longterm goals for submissions for school. Long range goals. And of course the big plans for next year will be getting ready for going to Bali, being in Bali, leaving and of course wishing I could go back

#1,786 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
did everyone have a good holiday? What are you planning for the new year as far as midwifery goes?
Well, plans at this point are much different than I expected. I had expected to be traveling around to do some 'apprenticing' but I think I've found a local preceptor.
:

January looks to be a busy month as birth assistant and I'm also looking at getting my impacted wisdom teeth removed
. I am hoping to start apprenticing this spring with a midwife I just met and I'm really excited about that.

So my goals for 2009 are to apprentice and get a decent amount of AAMI work done. In 2010 I'm hoping to take the Farm adv workshop, finish apprenticing and maybe even finish AAMI a few months early.
:

Life has a way of changing my plans though, so who knows how things will pan out.

#1,787 ·
Quote:

did everyone have a good holiday? What are you planning for the new year as far as midwifery goes?
We had a wonderful holiday! How about you?

This next year will be a busy one for midwifery. I am sending in my PEP in 3 weeks (I am waiting to get my financial aid check to pay for it). I will then be preparing for and taking the skills exam and then preparing for and taking the written exam in August. I am apprenticing yet and doing both assisting and taking my own clients under supervision. There is a decent chance that we may move as well this next year as my husband is finishing his degree this spring and will be looking for a new job. So, if everything falls into place, I will be setting up my own practice in a new location.

I have been working away at my AAMI stuff. I have begun to wonder if I will ever officially finish the program or not. I have decided to just keep on working on it though and see where I end up by the end of my time and if I want to pay to extend my time or not.

I am really excited about this upcoming year!!

#1,789 ·
i'm new here...
i have been taking "baby-steps" towards midwifery my whole life. the steps have become a bit bigger since the birth of my first (and for now only) child, dd who is 20 months old. we moved this summer, so i am slowly integrating into our birth community. am excited to learn. i have been busy getting pre-reqs finished before enrolling in a CNM program.

my goals for 2009, complete more pre-requisite classes, begin communicating more with the local CNM program, complete DONA certification and possible complete Midwifery Assistant workshop at The Farm.

#1,790 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama View Post
I finish my CNM program in June and am sending out CVs as we speak. I'm so glad I only have to write two more enormous tuition checks!
Congrats! I have about 2 years to go until I finish my CNM program! What kind of position are you hoping to get???

#1,791 ·
wow- everyone is making such progress! It's so exciting hearing about other students finshing up- it gives me hope that one day I'll be finishing up too!

I'm planning out my year~ hoping to go to casa in the summer (or maybe next fall) to get more practical experience, and in the meantime doing more training to be a better birth assistant. I'm also still considering a distance program even though it won't count, just to be learning something! We're supposed to have our closing in the beginning of january, then we may take a small student loan to pay for casa, and other things I will need. I'm also busy doula-ing and learning all I can! It's looking to be a VERY busy year.

#1,792 ·
Quote:

We had a great holiday! Hope you did too. The weather was great wasn't it?

2009 is going to be a good year
: I can just feel it! I am attending the DONA doula training in Jan and will start at FSTM in August! I am pretty sure I will be laid off my job in the next 4-6 months and once that happens, I plan to start my apprenticeship with my preceptor and offer my doula services to low income women who are in need but can't afford the services. This will allow me to help out women in need while gaining experience too.

Looking forward to the next year and all the exciting midwifery steps I will be taking.

#1,793 ·
Hello Mamas, I've been lurking and longing to be with you. I'm trying to work it so that I can apply to the midwifery program here in Ontario. Right now I'm working towards my doula certification. Must run and change a baby who has a tummy bug! You are all an inspiration! Much to learn here.

#1,798 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CNM2B View Post
Congrats! I have about 2 years to go until I finish my CNM program! What kind of position are you hoping to get???
Group practice, hopefully full-time, benefits. My family doesn't have health insurance if I don't provide it, so that is one of the necessary parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.