Mothering Forum banner

Hi, my name is Julie and I have a weird toddler

3K views 64 replies 45 participants last post by  MimiB 
#1 ·
I thought it was time for a fun thread, everyone (myself included) seems to be a little stressed out these days. So, let's share the weird things that our toddlers do!!

My DS will devour a (well cooked) tuna steak off of my plate but hates hamburgers. What kid hates hamburgers?? Oh, and he won't eat tuna if I offer it for dinner on his plate, only from mine

My DS can climb over the baby gate INTO his room but he'll only climb out with his stool. The gate is absolutely identical on both sides.

His response to questions he doesn't want to answer?? He barks at you.

Now share yours!!

See less See more
#2 ·
My toddler is darn near a vegetarian, she looks at me likes I'm trying to poison her if I offer her meat off my plate. We are far from vegetarians here, in fact her dad is one of those types that eats meat and bread and almost nothing else.

She also is a little OCD about picking sock lint out from between her toes right after I take off her socks.

DD also may or may not have picked up a bad eye rolling habit from me.
It's hilarious.

#3 ·
Right now my 17 month old DD refuses do anything or go anywhere unless she is wearing a hat, scarf, and the shoe covers from her brothers buzz light year costume, sometimes she also has to wear a Tutu.... She is quit a sight.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
Right now my 17 month old DD refuses do anything or go anywhere unless she is wearing a hat, scarf, and the shoe covers from her brothers buzz light year costume, sometimes she also has to wear a Tutu.... She is quit a sight.
that's wonderful! I'm lucky just to get a shirt and pants on DD1

#5 ·
Sometimes I catch DD putting her books in time out.
She changes outfits about 20 times a day (with coordinating shoes)
She likes to eat pistachios and pomegranate seeds for breakfast
She hates mac n'cheese, PB&J, grilled cheese, and most other kid food
She loves to eat cat food, however
She whispers weird things in her sleep

#6 ·
DS pants when you ask him what sound a dog makes and he looks at you like you're insane if you try to make him bark instead.

He won't leave the house without getting a dog treat to eat (the dog gets a treat when we leave so he feels he needs one too).

He loves to try to eat the dog's food, he apparently finds it quite tasty.

He will not wear socks unless he also has on shoes, socks are apparently not to be worn without shoes.

#7 ·
getting outta the car the other day, my son- dressed as a policeman, mind you- lets out a sigh and says "sometimes i just get so tired of saving the world!"
opening presents on xmas his dad was a lil tired and put DS name on a gift that was a bone for the dog- so after dad realized and we all laughed about santa mixing up the gifts he gets another gift- starts to open it, looks around and says "i just hope it's not another bone!" you had to be there maybe- it was hilarious!
my son will lay down, sit, fetch and pant like a dog- and you have to pet him on the head like a dog and say stuff like 'good doggie!'

#8 ·
about the tuna steak--my kids (4 and almost 2) do that with EVERYTHING. like today they JUST FINISHED eating (or so they claimed) the SAME spaghetti I had in a bowl and was just starting to eat. I had two kids crowding and clamoring for bites.
And that happens with EVERYTHING. another one from today I just took out the remainder of the cake--easily enough for two adults, and prepared it for myself because within three seconds I had kids crowding around me clamoring for it.

They nurse baby dolls----the first time this happened, DS had two dolls, then proclaimed "Oh, I don't have enough boo" and handed one to his sister, who then lifted up her shirt to nurse her baby.

At my midwife appointments, they used to play with her stethoscope and fetoscope. DS would take the stethoscope and say "OK now I'm the doctor and you are the midwife" then they'd trade....
(they just got a toy dr kit and I'm waiting for the day DS realizes and asks for a toy fetoscope...except I'm pretty sure he doesn't know the word fetoscope so I'm waiting to see how he might express this...)

today they fought over whether the thing they made out of the couch cushions was for climbing over or crawling under...

DD has now learned to stand on the coffee table like it's a stage singing "Great BIG SPIDER" complete with deep voice and actions (it's very much like the itsy bitsy spider...)

DD has to have my mom rock her to sleep at night, not me. she can even start off with me but she will ask for my mom before she falls asleep.

DD loves dad's okra curry but will not eat sandwiches or cereal. (DS, 4, only started eating sandwiches and cereal when he started preschool.)

#9 ·
Last night I went in to reposition DS (he ends up in the strangest positions!) and as I was unwinding his blankies from around his body he curled up his little lip and growled at me like a lion. Never opened his eyes, never sat up, just felt like growling I guess. I can't say I blame him, I feel like growling at a lot of people
:nana:

#10 ·
This morning dd1 woke me up with her giant penguin. she kept making it peer over the side of the bed so all I could see were its eyes and beak and saying braaawk....braaawk.... Then she'd go do something else for a minute and come back. The last time she said braawk... braaawk... broooocolli.
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

#11 ·
Thanks for starting this thread! I needed a good laugh today.

Here's my funny story:

DD will not let any of her baby dolls be on the floor. They must be in someone's arms at all times. Now, she insists this is true for other babies. At playgroups she will try to pick up any baby that is just sitting on the floor-even if the baby is quite content.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Love_My_Bubba View Post

My DS will devour a (well cooked) tuna steak off of my plate but hates hamburgers. What kid hates hamburgers?? Oh, and he won't eat tuna if I offer it for dinner on his plate, only from mine

That's my DS too, won't eat hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, PB&J.... loves seafood (especially shrimp); he'll eat mussels and octopus and all sorts of wierd stuff.

He also mostly refuses to eat from his own plate or bowl, even if it's the exact same dish with the exact same food as we have....he wants to sit on our lap and eat ours (and feed us in between bites).

Anything rolled (eggrolls, burritos, wraps, etc) if you offer him a bite, he'll insist on turning it the other way and biting the other end. (doesn't matter if both ends are closed, or whether you give him the closed or open end of one that is cut; he always wants the other end.)

If we serve mixed veggies, he'll pick all the lima beans out and eat them; but if we serve lima beans he won't touch them.

He loves to play in mud & puddles (rare find around here); but hates to have his hands dirty. LOL.... for example the other day we were out for a walk and found a couple puddles, so we started throwing rocks into them, which he really got a kick out of and was laughing at....but he'd go to pick up another rock, and if he was too close to the puddle and the rock was wet or he got some mud on his fingers, he'd drob the rock and come running over to have his hands cleaned. Then he'll go get another one; any wet or mud, same thing.
He also walked through the puddle and then got upset that his shoes were wet.

Last night for whatever reason, he thought he *needed* to have two tortilla chips on the tv stand. I didn't get it at first, he'd ask for a chip, and then another (not uncommon, he usually wants to have two of whatever he's eating, one for each hand)....and then go put them on the tv stand. If I took them (didn't realize what he wanted right away, so I ate a couple...playing w/ him, if you're not gonna eat those, I will) then he would immediately ask for more, and put them right back there. So there they sat for a couple hours. (He did finally eat them, guess he just wanted them for later.)

#13 ·
DD used to do the same thing a PP mentioned - would not wear socks alone but had no trouble wearing shoes and socks. Now at 13 mo., she's half grown out of it. If you put just socks on her, she will pull off the right sock, but is perfectly content to wear the left one!

She has a toy moose that has lots of different colors/fabrics and she always holds it by the same leg - the green one w/ the orange hoof.

#14 ·
Ds2 hates it when my hair is wet or when I wear pantyhose. He'll regularly want to feel my hair to make sure it's dry, and says "I so haappy!" when it is. When I wear a skirt with boots he'll have to lift the skirt to make sure there's no pantyhose

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
that's wonderful! I'm lucky just to get a shirt and pants on DD1
It is great for going out, however she also wants to eat and sleep in this get up! On the flip side DS tried to leave the house today in a snowstorm wearing nothing but a hat, boots, and his underpants...

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Love_My_Bubba View Post

His response to questions he doesn't want to answer?? He barks at you.
OMG, I don't feel so weird now... mine meows!!!

Mine BEGS to go to the sushi restaurant, but will NOT eat if we go to a burger place. Then sometimes when we DO go to the sushi restaurant, she'll just eat rice and edamame and just watch the sushi go by (it's one of those places where the little plates circle around and you pick what you want).
:

She'll get up in the morning sometimes all groggy, and ask to watch Planet Earth (not cartoons or something kids would normally like). She could watch animal documentaries for days at a time if I let her.

#18 ·
And you know, come to think of it, she's growled at me like a lion in the middle of the night too... How weird! They must be two of a kind.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
DS pants when you ask him what sound a dog makes and he looks at you like you're insane if you try to make him bark instead.
My son does this too! He gets really upset when our dog barks, but the dog pants a lot so he does that. He'll also make a kissing sound if you ask what sound the cat makes, and he'll kiss for both the dog and the cat if he sees them. It's hilarious!

He does not like to wear socks or baby legs, and will pull them off and chew on them.

He climbs the baby gate, and gets upset when it hurts his feet.

He likes to sleep on top of the blankets in our cold bedroom, with his feet by our heads and his head by my knees. Until he wants to nurse, of course.

#21 ·
DD1 growls, which I love cause I was that kind of kid too, but I didn't start her on it I swear!

She announced to me today that her and sister were both peacocks.

Both my girls LOVE chili
and beans, she will eat around the beef, corn, tomatoes, etc.

#22 ·
DS also likes to eat his feet. Seriously, once when he was much younger, he was cranky so my husband put DS's toes in his mouth and said "eat your feet! Eat your feet!" so now it's a game. It's weird when he comes up to us and tries to eat our feet, though.

#23 ·
DS MUST wear baby legs every single day. He gets so excited when it is time to get dressed in the morning, shouting "GARMERS!!!" (his version of leg warmers)

He cannot color without mama coloring on the page at the same time too.

His favorite foods are veggies. He will literally start jump up and down when we have soup, yelling "CELERY!! MORE CELERY!!"

He loves to dress up in my shoes and walk around the house. Ok, maybe not too weird, but it is funny.

He regularly "cooks" his cars on his play stove, and brings them to me to "eat"

I love this thread!!

#24 ·
dd has some of these quirks also: she must immediately sit down and remove any and all sock lint from between her toes when her socks come off; she has no problems wearing socks if she has her boots(which she LOVES)/robeez on but will pull them off the second she has no footwear; she growls in many a situation (my personal favorite: throwing something off the bed, leaning over to look at the floor, and growling at the "dropped" item).

lately she has been trying to give herself zerburts/raspberries. she'll lift her shirt over head and bend her neck trying to get her mouth as close to her tummy as possible and go pfft. it's absolutely hilarious!!

who needs television when you have a toddler?

#25 ·
he NEEDS to touch his nose... he has to make sure is there.
he says he helps mommy to pee faster by doing a "psss" sound everytime i say im going to the restroom.
he hates McDonald's with a passion and everything tht has to do with hamburgers
he thinks soda is a drink for "mommies and daddies"
he seems to be the only toddler that can do the sign of the cross... kinda
if he doesnt wear something that has green on it... it's not right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.