Mothering Forum banner

Your Fave Frugal Finds!

5K views 67 replies 52 participants last post by  ReadingMama 
#1 ·
What is your favorite frugal buy? I don't mean things you found once or twice, but things you buy constantly that are always a frugal option. Sometimes I'm afraid to buy cheapy things, because, well, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.

I have to say, my fave frugal body wash is the suave exhale in any of the fragrances. The other suave body washes aren't great- but the exhale smells fabulous. It's about $2. It seems like a good body wash is normally around $6 at my Safeway.

Let us know what yours is!

#5 ·
Hmmm...

Well, we only buy icecream when it is on sale for 3.99/half gallon for our fav. brand...it's normally about $6/half gallon.

At our Sprouts (like a big farmers market in doors) they consistantly have fruit for 60-99 cents /pound as well as .50 for oatmeal (about once a month)

For hair gel, we just buy the CHEAP L.A. looks or whatever it is! It's probably terrible for our hair, but it works just as well as a $4 for half of the size we get for about $2

Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!

#8 ·
Two that came to mind:

1.) I buy coconut oil wholesale and use it for body lotion, hot oil treatment, nail treatment, massage oil (
), cooking oil, etc.

2.) I know this is not really frugal since it isn't a necessity, but I get all of my subscriptions/newspapers for free through survey sites.

#10 ·
We never saw a reason to get rid of our VCR just because DVDs became all the rage, so we still watch a lot of VHS tapes and get used ones for $1.00 each at a local music store. Sometimes even for free.

The local fish market on the pier has haddock for $3.99/pound when it's $5.99-$8.99/lb at the grocery store...and it's not nearly as good!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!
How do you get the coupons for free underwear?

#15 ·
I thought of one - the food co-op near me is hit or miss about prices and how they compare to anywhere else, except the bulk section. I bring my own jars and have them weighed empty, then pay by the pound at checkout. The best deals in there are raisins, wheat germ, stone-ground grits, real vanilla, active dry yeast, and stone-ground mustard. They run regular sales on other things as well. These items are 1/4-1/3 of grocery store prices.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post

You can get 7-10 pairs of Hanes 100% cotton undies in which ever fit you perfer for like $6 at most major stores
They last a couple of years it seems

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Satori View Post
You can get 7-10 pairs of Hanes 100% cotton undies in which ever fit you perfer for like $6 a postt most major stores
They last a couple of years it seems

I was just going to post this plus Hanes has coupons for $2.00 a pack and Target puts them on sale for $5 and sometimes they have a free pair in the package. Honestly, I think they are a lot better quality then Victoria Secret. I got a gift card for there recently and I could not believe how cheaply made their items were.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I was just going to post this plus Hanes has coupons for $2.00 a pack and Target puts them on sale for $5 and sometimes they have a free pair in the package. Honestly, I think they are a lot better quality then Victoria Secret. I got a gift card for there recently and I could not believe how cheaply made their items were.
I agree, a lot of there stuff while pretty is cheaply made. I bought my bra's there prekids and they never lasted more then a couple months. Now I buy my bras at cheap places like Kmart and they last at least a year if not 2 and that's with constant use.

#22 ·
I never buy cosmetics at a dept store or hair products at a salon. Total waste of money. I love CosmeticsCop.com for debunking myths about quality ingredients, "natural" products, and whether a product can really do what it claims. I use store brand Cetaphil for washing my face. It's about $5 for a big bottle. I mix it with baking soda for the occasional exfoliation. I use Oil of Olay Complete moisturizer and sunscreen. I use White Rain or Suave shampoo. It's about $0.88 on sale for a big bottle.

My stove top, stainless steel espresso maker. It makes the best espresso, w/ grocery aisle coffee.

I never buy paper for our printer, or white paper for anything. Dh brings home stacks from his recycling box at work.

We gave up microwave popcorn when we got an air popper from a freecycler. The popcorn is a lot better, and a lot cheaper.

Now someone tell me about a good, cheap red wine!

ETA: I forgot to mention, Milk of Magnesia makes an awesome, super cheap mask.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post

Now someone tell me about a good, cheap red wine!
Two buck chuck! I especially like the Shiraz, or at least I did the last time I drank it...

Dar

#25 ·
Ditto on the air popped popcorn! I found our airpopper for a dollar at a thrift store and I buy kernels in bulk.
Also- our local fabric store frequently has their remnants for half off- which are already half off the regular yard price- I always stock up to make quick gift bags, little craft projects, or stuff we need around the house.

#27 ·
I wonder if you can order the wine from online? The shipping might outweigh the savings though

I buy suave shampoo about 75% of the time. My hair starts to get pissy if I use it too much and so I'll just mix it up with something else once or twice a week. (I imagine that'd be the same for me with any shampoo, I think I just need to swap them out occasionally). I think they have a clarifying shampoo...maybe I should try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.