Mothering Forum banner

Your Fave Frugal Finds!

5K views 67 replies 52 participants last post by  ReadingMama 
#1 ·
What is your favorite frugal buy? I don't mean things you found once or twice, but things you buy constantly that are always a frugal option. Sometimes I'm afraid to buy cheapy things, because, well, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.

I have to say, my fave frugal body wash is the suave exhale in any of the fragrances. The other suave body washes aren't great- but the exhale smells fabulous. It's about $2. It seems like a good body wash is normally around $6 at my Safeway.

Let us know what yours is!

#54 ·
Everyday Minerals makeup. Super cheap, and my skin has never been better.

Store brand knock off Lubriderm with SPF.

Organix Shampoo (no SLS!)

I don't even know the brand, but the $4 per tube tooth whitener. Works like a charm, and one tube lasts 6mos-1yr.

Bulk spices from our co-op.

Now if only I could find bras that fit that are less than $50 each...

#55 ·
Quote:
Bulk spices from our co-op.
And bulk grains - brown & basmati rice, couscous, oats. I actually go to the local Whole Foods to save money on bulk oats.

My indulgent frugal find for winter is a $10 milk frother at TJ Maxx. I make coffee and warm up some milk in the mircowave, then froth it. Cafe au Lait is so much more luxurious than plain coffee to me.

#56 ·
I agree that bargin shopping the stores like Big Lots renders the best buys, but can be a bit time consuming (and you do have to check the dates). I try to do this once a month or so. And, I found that by calling the Kroger district office about getting the same card for DH and I we are now on their coupon mailing list. They send out great store coupons for stuff we actually buy because they hook it to our plus card. And, we earn $$ off our gas purchases too. At first I thought these cards were annoying, but since everyone has them, I might as well make them work for us.

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
Now if only I could find bras that fit that are less than $50 each...
Hanes! They frequently have free shipping and they last forever! Plus if you sign up for email alerts you get coupons!

#59 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
I don't even know the brand, but the $4 per tube tooth whitener. Works like a charm, and one tube lasts 6mos-1yr.
Ooh, that reminds me...I asked my hygenist about whitening, and she told me to try a whitening mouthwash. It works, too! About $5 a bottle, and works at least as well as the strips, and so much easier to use. I'm 38, and drink coffee and red wine regularly, and my teeth are pretty darn white. (OK, someone is going to say to just use hydrogen peroxide, but this stuff tastes ok, it's ready to use, and it's still pretty cheap.)

#61 ·
$1.00 double shot 'tall' lattes or mochas from Costco - we prefer to drive there for a random caffeine fix rather than a coffee house (about same distance). It cracks me up to see people carrying starbucks around the store when the Lattes are much less right outside, but maybe they have 'super special' coffee drinks in those cups. Costco doesn't add flavors etc.

Also - searching 'overstocks' and 'clearance' at all major online retailers' sites - my fav. is Lands End or even Hanna Anderson but also see jaw-dropping deals at J.C. Penny .com etc. frequently find item for 40-80% off.

#62 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post

Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!
I just bought a pair of panties for $.94 cents at Target a few days ago. I do like "cutesy" panties, and I get them at Wal-Mart for $1.97.

I get the "Free Panty" coupon from VS, too. I bought a bra for under a bridesmaids dress there once and actually ended up returning it, but I still ended up on their list. Hell, I'll take free panties.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
Now someone tell me about a good, cheap red wine!

OK, before you disregard this suggestion, let me tell you that I was very skeptical too when it was first recommended to me. My husband and I love wine and actually have it as part of our monthly budget.
: He is actually a bit of a wine snob so he thinks I am nuts but I love Fish Eye's Pinot Grigio that comes in a box for $13.99. It is dry and slightly tart and very refreshing and it is CHEAP! I prefer very dry whites and this fits very well into our budget. If you can get past the stigma of boxed wine, give it a try.
They do have a Shiraz as well, so since you prefer reds, maybe try it. And I've heard great things about Black Tie boxed wine as well.

#64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbarbie23 View Post
I buy rice and other grains in bulk rather than small packets of flavored "side dishes." It really isn't that much more work to cook plain rice with some broth and spices. To make it more interesting, you can brown some thin egg noodles and the rice in oil before adding broth and seasonings to cook it in, and it costs about 25 cents instead of a few bucks.
Would you share the recipe?

#66 ·
Subbing! I think most of the ideas I had have already been mentioned (VHS tapes, air popped popcorn, making our own cleaners, using bs and vinegar on our hair, bulk bins, etc.), so I'll just watch!

:

Edit: Has anyone mentioned "ethnic" food markets (Asian, Indian, etc.)? They're usually FAR cheaper than regular grocery stores.

#67 ·
I hope I do this right because I haven't posted on here in quite a while....

If you have your cell phone though T-Mobile you can add a home phone line for just $10 with no extra fees. It also comes with call waiting and caller ID at no extra charge. It is digital phone and we are happy with it so far.

Felicia
Mama to TJ
: (8) and Emma
: (22 mos)

#68 ·
My best find was when I discovered that Walmart Neighborhood Market gives their rotisserie chickens away for free when the deli closes for the night. They'd just throw them out otherwise. Just go to the deli as it's closing and ask if you can have one. They'll put a free sticker on it. (I don't hang out at Walmart at 9pm just to get free chicken, but if I'm already there and I remember, I'll get one.)

Another great deal is that I buy stuffed animals from Goodwill for 25 cents each to use as dog toys. I look for ones without button eyes or noses or "beanie" material. My lab mix shreds toys, so it makes no sense to spend $5 or more on one dog toy. I try to buy the worn ones that I think kids wouldn't want anyway.

I also buy books from Goodwill (I love our Goodwill!). Paperbacks are 50 cents and hardbacks are $1. There are new books too! I also get my purses from Goodwill (they're all $4). Wallets are $2. The trick is to go frequently when you're looking for something specific. They get new stuff in all the time.

I go to Ross for Yankee Candle Company candles (they last forever). They are about half price there. Even less than that if they are missing the lid. I get my shoes there too. Good quality brands for about a third of the regular price. Born clogs for $30!

I go to Big Lots for beauty booty and fun, inexpensive decorations.

I'm currently keeping my eye out for some cheap steak and chicken grilling seasoning. The price for one bottle at the grocery store is ridiculous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.