Mothering Forum banner

Child Care Provider Pet Peeves

15K views 137 replies 58 participants last post by  spedteacher30 
#1 ·
Child care providers, what are you pet peeves about parents, or what would you like to see more from them? I have always wanted to pick my DCP's brain to see what she really wants from me. They are usually pretty laid back and quiet, and don't offer too much feedback or advice. I think they are afraid of offending me. I just thought it would be interesting to hear how child care providers really think.

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cak1207 View Post
Changing nap times on the weekend. If your child is on a schedule and then you take him off I have to start over on Monday with a fussy cranky kid who is all off schedule. It's inconsiderate to me.
Sorry, I think this one you are going to have to roll with. In a past life, I was a nanny. The families that I worked with, they crammed in a lot of activity on the weekends not only as their own family unit, but with their extended family as well. That meant they were often away from home and very busy and the nap schedule got a little mixed up. It is what it is. DP and I are expecting our first child, and even now -- childless as we still are -- we are crazy busy on the weekends....traveling to see our families and closest friends who all live an hour away from us where we grew up, or getting chores, errands and shopping done, or having family or friends over to our house, etc. If we want our life to go on after the baby comes and to actually maintain our relationships with friends and family, that might mean that on many, many weekends the routine of our life has to be shaken up a bit. Yes, that might make it hard on our nanny or daycare provider come Monday morning and I can certainly sympathize, but we shouldn't have to stop living our lives and cultivating solid relationships with our loved ones just so our nanny/DCP can have an easier time of it on Monday.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siera View Post
I absolutely LOVE DD's DC providers. The way I see it, they are doing me a HUGE favor by watching over her while I'm away! I see them as part of my extended family!!
to all of you for providing an invaluable service, even if not everyone recognizes what you do!!
That is how I hope my families see me- as an extension of their family. I love their kids and want what is best for them, and I love it when the families treat me like family.

Honestly, I have great parents in a great center, so I don't have a long list. I just ask that you please bring in two sets of extra clothes. Even at 4 and 5, accidents can happen. And not just bathroom accidents, we also have the occasional spilled pitcher of juice accident too
Or my favorite- kicked the soccer ball in to the grass which is now a mud slide and fell down while going to retrieve it, making them look like the creature from the mud lagoon
So please, send extra clothes, it really just makes it easier on you. If they have no extras we have to call you to either bring some in or pick up the child. It just makes life easier for everyone involved.

And the other courtesy- if I call you to pick up your child, please don't try to put it off. If your child is ill, or if we have to close down due to extreme weather- please just come in. Believe me when I say that I will never, ever call you to pick up your child unless it is absolutley neccessary. I enjoy being their teacher too much to send them home "just because"

And I agree with the PP above me, when I was a Nanny, nap things happen. Weekends are busy for most people, so I usually expected the nap to be off schedule. It might make your day harder, but it is not something I would ever make an issue over with the parents. They have the right to their own schedule on the weekends.

I just love my job. I love my kids and I am blessed to have wonderful parents
:

#29 ·
Quote:

Leaving a huge mess in the sink. Or wherever. I hate going into work and having to clean all the dishes out of the sink just so I can use it. Or a mess of toys that takes me an hour to clean up. I make sure the house is clean when you come home do the same for me. I don't mean spotless but picked up.

Oh I remembered one. If your child is sick or you've all had the flu don't make me come in. Then when I get it don't complain to me when I call in sick. YOU gave it to me.
I have a nanny several days a week while I work and I have done these things. I don't like to leave dishes in the sink or the toys a mess but this is my house and sometimes it is a mess. I do the best I can. This is our life. Many nights I have stayed up to clean so the house isn't a disaster for her but sometimes the best I can do is to make sure there is food in the fridge and coats and shoes where she can find them.

And yes I expect her to come when my kids are sick. That is one of the reasons I use a nanny, so I have the ability to still go into work when my kids are sick. Obviously if they are really sick I stay home but I will leave them with her even if I would not send them to a daycare in that condition because they can sit around the house all day or sleep or whatever. I don't care if she lets them sit on the couch and watch tv all day when they are sick. Also my DH works out of the house and he is around for back up, if she needs it.

I am forever grateful to her for helping us when my DD came home from a week in the hospital and brought a nasty gastro bug with her that we all caught. I absolutely could not care for my children who were both very sick and the fact that she was so good to us during that time has made me overlook a few of her faults. She even offered to do it without pay (which I wouldn't let her do).

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post
I disagree that a child should be on a schedule at 12 months. Our center tried to get them on a schedule at that age, but they remained flexible up until the kids "graduated" out (at age 2.5 or 3). If my child is hungry or thirsty, I expect them to be given food and drink. Even now at his preschool, snacks are self-scheduled and water is available at all times.

I do understand the logistics of keeping naptime and lunchtime at a specific scheduled time (in our state that can't happen until the kids are over 12 months), since they anchor the routine and are more labor intensive points of the day, but if my kid is hungry, feed him!
Wow, I wish my DDs daycare was like that. They are so strict about their schedule it's more like a regime! I have to be at class at 8:30 only 2 days a week, the other three I don't have to be anywhere until 10:30 but I bring her in at around 9ish. Every time I get there at 9 this one teacher is always complaining about how my daughter needs a schedule. It drives me crazy!
They also have very structured meal times. What makes me the most mad is that they don't let her have water whenever she wants. My DD is 16 mo and knows sign language for cup when she needs water. Half the time I pick her up she will have dark yellow pee and drink 7 or 8 oz water! I've mentioned it before and the staff just says that they give all the children equal amounts of water and drinks and i should give her more water before bringing her in! This never happened when she was in the infant room, only since she moved to the toddler room.
The last gripe I have is that today I found out they are using bleach on their diaper covers! They are supposed to be an ecofriendly all green school and they pour chlorine on the diaper covers, that really urked me.
Overall I miss having my DD in the infant room, the teachers there were much more understanding and tolerent of my odd requests. Thanks for listening to my rant

#32 ·
About feeding kids on a schedule, yes, don't send your kid hungry. I don't provide meals, you have to send your kid fed & clean. I give them back the same way. I feed kids when they are hungry, but you still need to send them fed! (obviously not relevent if the person provides breakfast, but I don't).

Don't send all food I have to feed your child. Send me an item of finger foods (as requested!). It's your kid who will be hungry if I'm giving a baby a bottle and your toddler wakes up and wants to eat but I can't feed her because you didn't send appropriate food. (again, parents are told to send so it's no surprise).

Don't expect me to keep your child up all morning so she will sleep in the afternoon for you. I don't mind if the child is up and happy, but if your child is not ready to drop the morning nap it's not fair to either of us to deny him sleep!

Don't pick up your kid "just 5 minutes (or 8 or 10 or 15)" late EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's not fair.

#33 ·
Quote:

OMG, as a parent, I cannot believe that some parents do these things??!?!? I mean, poopy diapers from over night? Snickers for breakfast? dropping off sick? having to bathe kids? no clothes to change into? diapers? It just blows my mind. I absolutely LOVE DD's DC providers. The way I see it, they are doing me a HUGE favor by watching over her while I'm away! I see them as part of my extended family!!
to all of you for providing an invaluable service, even if not everyone recognizes what you do!!
You'd be surprised the horror stories I could tell about the subject. Mind you, not all parents, in fact most parents, in my daycare don't do these things, but every year, about a quarter of my class's parents will do that. And consistantly. It's sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof2kiddos View Post
OMG reading this makes me want to e-mail my providers and see if they have any pet peeves with me. I try and make sure that my kids arrive dressed and ready for the day when droping them off, I like to stay a few and communicate on how my kids day was. I make sure that if my kids are there unplanned for something that comes up that i don't need to bring there lunch or lunch for everyone. I can't belevie what some parents will do when using dc.
Teachers are pretty understanding if, usually you're on the ball, if you bring your child in with a poopy daiper one day (he pooped on the way, I'm in a hurry, late for work, can you please change it for me?) or if you're a half hour late for pickup one day. Things happen. Most teachers understand that. It's when it happens all the time, with no thought to how the teachers or the child feels, that's what frustrates the parents. I really can't see any MDC parents doing some of the things I've seen some of the parents do in my daycare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I remember one from my child care providing days!

Please don't send your child is fancy schmancy clothes and then get mad when she gets them stained. We painted, ate snacks, and played hard. Stains happen.
Oh, yes, that one. A little girl in my class a couple years ago always wore designer clothes (I'm talking Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger
), and white sneakers and her Mother would lecture her at dropoff and pickup about getting dirty and flip out if we let her paint of play in the sandbox or whatever.

Another one is, if we say we go outside every day (it's part of our policy, unless it's below zero or a thunderstorm or some other kind of dangerous weather), then we go outside every day. Not sending your child in with a showsuit or a hat and mittens or even boots on the snowiest day of the year because you don't want your child playing outside, is not fair to your child (may have to stay inside with a different class while all his or her friends go outside), the other children (may keep the entire class inside if ratios don't allow to take some children outside and keep some inside), or the teachers (imagine a classroom full of 10-15 children who've been inside for days, weeks at a time- even the best teachers can't keep them from being bored out of their minds and bouncing off the walls).

#34 ·
Quote:

So I'm not a daycare provider but a nanny but I still provide childcare. I have a few they're a little different.

Undermining my authority. This is my biggest pet peeve. If I have a rule everyone should have it. Of course lets agree on it. I use to have a WAHD. I would say one thing and they'd run to him and he'd change it. That makes it look like I have no authority and they don't have to listen. Or I tell a child he can't do something and then the whole weekend the parents let him I have to start from square one on Monday. Irks me!

Being late. I haven't had a job yet where a parent hasn't been late. Even fifteen minutes. I have a life and I make appointments or dates at a time and when you're late it makes me late and makes me look bad to other people. Be on time. Don't call me at 5 till and say you're running late that doesn't help me.

Changing nap times on the weekend. If your child is on a schedule and then you take him off I have to start over on Monday with a fussy cranky kid who is all off schedule. It's inconsiderate to me.

Leaving a huge mess in the sink. Or wherever. I hate going into work and having to clean all the dishes out of the sink just so I can use it. Or a mess of toys that takes me an hour to clean up. I make sure the house is clean when you come home do the same for me. I don't mean spotless but picked up.

: I have been a nanny for several years now, and have had all of those scenarios. I refuse to work with at-home parents now because of those types of situations!! As for the routine being different on the weekends...that drives me CRAZY. Kids NEED routine. Not a schedule, or forced to do things when they don't want to. But every kid I have ever worked with does better when they know what to expect within reason. Do you think they would be cranky if they didn't need that? It's not about my convenience--it's about your CHILD. When you decide to have children, you decide to give up some things, and make some sacrifices. This means making sure that you bring a sling or a Pack N Play so that your kiddo can get a nap at the appropriate time.

I also hate the dishes piling up in the sink, because I feel as if I am expected to do them...especially because I do the dishes I mess up. It's not like I'm going to leave your stuff sitting in the sink! But I've had families that started out asking me to do my dishes...then they'd leave the dishes from the night before...next thing I knew, it was Tuesday, I hadn't been there since Thursday, and ALL OF THOSE DISHES were waiting for me. Once in awhile isn't a big deal,but every single day is a bit much.

Parents being late drives me up a wall, too, or changing the schedule constantly. At my current position, I NEVER KNOW when I am going to work. I've had to change doctor's appointments, cancel plans, or show up late to various events because my boss decided at the last minute that she needed me. The best is when she calls me at 5:45 pm and asks if she can be a little late so she can go get a drink with her friends. Okay, every parent needs a break. But I am supposed to get off at 6 and I want to see my husband!!! I need to go home and make dinner, and you still expect me to be here at 8:00 am the next morning. The child has three grandmothers, you have tons of friends, and a husband...all of whom could watch your child if you asked. Also, if you asked me a little ahead of time, I would plan on being there late and it would be no biggy.

My other two big rants are 1) Not babyproofing your house. I worked for a family that had stairs...and no baby gate. That baby moves faster than the speed of light, and he almost fell down the stairs because I turned my back for TWO SECONDS to wipe off his high chair. No guards on the electical outlets...glass stuff, expensive tv and dvd player at his level...china cabinets with no locks...stacks of books on the floor that he will rip and tear. I cannot enjoy your child if I am chasing them around your house all day. Nor can I take a moment to fix a bottle, use the bathroom, anything else because if I turn my back for one moment, the baby is into something. Also, your child plays best at such a young age in a confined area. If he cannot leave a room, he will play with the toys and with me, listen to or look at the books. If he can run out anytime he wants, he will head straight for the flat screen tv.

2) Leaving extra kids with me. I hate when parents leave a sibling, cousin, or friend with me with no warning and no extra pay. One week, the child's older brother's preschool was closed, and my boss at the time didn't even ask if it was okay. She left him with me ALL WEEK, without offering extra pay. She does this several times a month, although I was told when I started that I would not ever have to watch him. I gave them a rate based on ONE child, not two! My rate for two children is higher, and if I'd known that I was going to have two children often, I would've told you that.

And 3) parents who ask me to do things I just don't agree with at all..IE crying it out ('hes manipulating me!' no, actually, he wants his mother whom he hasnt seen all day to pick him up instead of putting him in his bouncy seat) or feeding a 7 month old STEAK AND EGGS!

Most of these pet peeves all come down to one thing: respect. If you respect me as a person, and an equal (I am not a SERVANT. No, I'm not doing you a favor by watching your kid, but nor are you doing a favor by employing me. I could work for many other families) you will treat me as such. You would be insulted if your boss took you for granted the way you take me for granted. You would feel taken advantage of too.

#35 ·
Quote:

OMG, as a parent, I cannot believe that some parents do these things??!?!? I mean, poopy diapers from over night? Snickers for breakfast? dropping off sick? having to bathe kids? no clothes to change into? diapers? It just blows my mind. I absolutely LOVE DD's DC providers. The way I see it, they are doing me a HUGE favor by watching over her while I'm away! I see them as part of my extended family!!
I am horrified by some of these things I am reading, truly horrified. I feel sorry for these kids and DCPs.

#38 ·
Quote:

you're right, but i think you have it backwards as to who should be establishing the rules, and who should be making sure to follow through on the rules.
Wow.

So if I make a rule he can't climb on the couch it's not valid bc I'm not the boss? I make sure all parent rules are followed but I mean when I say something they can or cannot do and the parent turns around and ignores it make my job a whole lot harder. Then you're gonna have a level of stress that there doesn't need to be. And you'll be looking for new childcare. I respect your rules and the same should apply.

#40 ·
Quote:

I disagree with you both.
Children are extremely capable creatures and are more than able to understand two (or even more) sets of rules. It's called framing. I think it's a Piagetian term?
Exactly. I have no issues with being upset when the caregiver tells the child no and the work at home parent undermines the caregiver by saying yes. However it seems a bit silly for a caregiver to expect the parents to follow her rules and schedule when she (or he) is not working.

#41 ·
Since we're venting about parental behavior, I'd like to vent about my DCP. For the most part they are very good and loving, but I just wish they'd give me more feedback when I come to pick up DS. It's like pulling teeth getting them to give me details about his day. Are DCP's just too tired by the end of the day, or maybe they just don't like me?
They have a little sheet that summarizes when he ate and had diaper changes, and they circle his mood for the day. I wish it was a requirement that they had to write at least one sentence of something my child did that day or anything of note.

#42 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by suebee79 View Post
Just wondering, but do you tend you notice a high turnover ratio in caregivers?
Nope, but i don't use a nanny. i know that I am extremely picky about the care my child receives, and I paid a lot of money to have him in a center that agrees with my ideals. and, in the two years he was there, there was no turnover in his center.

Of course, there were times when the rules at the center were different than the rules at home. And, we didn't undermine the rules in that setting (I am a teacher after all, working with other people's children all the time!) but we didn't enforce the exact same rules at home.

When our son was in a biting phase, we certainly backed up the center's expectations that biting was not OK, but we didn't do it in the exact same way that the center did.

Our general rule is that our child is expected to follow directions from all of the adults in his life: us, grandparents, providers, neighbors, aunts/uncles, etc. And, we don't undermine those adults, but if our son's provider ever tried to tell us how to parent him to make her life easier, we would find another provider. We don't tell the center how to run its program, and I would not appreciate my providers telling us how to run our family.

Believe it or not, our son's teachers think we are wonderfully supportive, involved and committed to the ideals of their program.
But, as the director of his daycare firmly said, "You pay us a lot of money to make sure your child is well-cared for, and if you ever have a doubt about that, we need to work that out so you are comfortable with us."

and, annette, I agree with you. Kids have different expectations all the time, and need to learn how to meet those different expectations, but if a provider and a family have such wildly different expectations that they are constantly undermining each other, maybe they aren't a great fit for each other.

And, I would *never* leave dirty dishes or laundry for a care provider to handle. I would want a nanny's attention to be 100% on my child, not my breakfast dishes or my dirty underwear!!

#43 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
Exactly. I have no issues with being upset when the caregiver tells the child no and the work at home parent undermines the caregiver by saying yes. However it seems a bit silly for a caregiver to expect the parents to follow her rules and schedule when she (or he) is not working.
exactly.

#44 ·
Quote:

I remember one from my child care providing days!

Please don't send your child is fancy schmancy clothes and then get mad when she gets them stained. We painted, ate snacks, and played hard. Stains happen.
:

Well, I don't get mad about it and I don't sent him in fancy clothes but I did ask if I could bring in an art smock for him. I can deal with normal dirt and food stains but he had paint and/or marker on almost all of his shirts and non of it seemed to come out, ever. Now, I'm not exactly a laundry goddess so I am sure that has a lot to do with it!
We just don't have a whole lot of shirts so I need to try to keep some of them somewhat presentable. Now I am hoping they don't think I am one of those parents...

#45 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
:

Well, I don't get mad about it and I don't sent him in fancy clothes but I did ask if I could bring in an art smock for him. I can deal with normal dirt and food stains but he had paint and/or marker on almost all of his shirts and non of it seemed to come out, ever. Now, I'm not exactly a laundry goddess so I am sure that has a lot to do with it!
We just don't have a whole lot of shirts so I need to try to keep some of them somewhat presentable. Now I am hoping they don't think I am one of those parents...
No need for a bag, I totally get that! It was the kids who came in perfectly matched expensive outfits and were told (as was I) that they weren't to get dirty day after day that drove me insane. And we provided smocks.

#46 ·
I thought of another one (my turn for

If your kid is too sick to participate in normal activities, they're too sick to be in care. Don't send them in expecting we'll find an extra caregiver just to hang out with them all day because they have a hangnail and don't want to do the daily routine.

#47 ·
Quote:

Nope, but i don't use a nanny. i know that I am extremely picky about the care my child receives, and I paid a lot of money to have him in a center that agrees with my ideals. and, in the two years he was there, there was no turnover in his center.

Of course, there were times when the rules at the center were different than the rules at home. And, we didn't undermine the rules in that setting (I am a teacher after all, working with other people's children all the time!) but we didn't enforce the exact same rules at home.

When our son was in a biting phase, we certainly backed up the center's expectations that biting was not OK, but we didn't do it in the exact same way that the center did.

Our general rule is that our child is expected to follow directions from all of the adults in his life: us, grandparents, providers, neighbors, aunts/uncles, etc. And, we don't undermine those adults, but if our son's provider ever tried to tell us how to parent him to make her life easier, we would find another provider. We don't tell the center how to run its program, and I would not appreciate my providers telling us how to run our family.

Believe it or not, our son's teachers think we are wonderfully supportive, involved and committed to the ideals of their program.
But, as the director of his daycare firmly said, "You pay us a lot of money to make sure your child is well-cared for, and if you ever have a doubt about that, we need to work that out so you are comfortable with us."

and, annette, I agree with you. Kids have different expectations all the time, and need to learn how to meet those different expectations, but if a provider and a family have such wildly different expectations that they are constantly undermining each other, maybe they aren't a great fit for each other.

And, I would *never* leave dirty dishes or laundry for a care provider to handle. I would want a nanny's attention to be 100% on my child, not my breakfast dishes or my dirty underwear!!
I agree with your post. I am sure the DCP would not approve of some of the things I did with DS in the evenings and at home, like cosleeping and BF. I'm sure it makes it harder for them to put DS down for a nap, but I'm not going to change those things to make it easier on them. Some things I will help them out with though if it doesn't go against my personal beliefs or philosophies.

#48 ·
I like to think I am one of the more considerate parents at preschool/daycare. Whenever I get a call about anything with my child, I show up to pick them up within 15 minutes (only because I work really to the school). I think the teachers and the director of the school love me. Mostly because they tell me they love me

Now DD was at another school until she was almost two. I had a few issues with them . First off, we put DD in overnight diapers to take her to school because she was the kind of kid that held her pee for 45 minutes after waking up then burst like a dam and peed straight through. After it happened a couple of times, we switched her to the overnight diapers for her first morning change.

A couple of times I left work early and picked her up. Mind you she is dropped off at 730am. So I get there at 1130am and she is overflowing in her overnight diaper (I know this because I never provided these diapers for her for changes). She had been having blistering rashes in the crotch area and I couldn't figure out why. They had a policy of only changing every two hours so when she would get that rash again, I would ask them to check and change her hourly until the rash would disappear. But it always came back.

When I spoke to the director about it, she totally blew me off. Then it happened again and I was pissed about it. I came to pick up DD and she was full of pee AND POOP and it was almost 12noon.

Then I was chastised (in writing) by the director of the school for reporting to her that I had witnessed a parent beating on their child in the parking lot. This was not a 3 or 4 year old but an 18 Month Old BABY. I didn't know what to do but to go straight to the director of the school. The next day I saw the kid being changed when I arrived at the school and noticed red welts on his legs. I asked the teacher if she was told by the director what I reported and the teacher said no. I then pointed out the welts and told her this was the area I had witnessed the parent striking the child.

The next thing I knew I was being called a trouble maker (for reporting the teachers not changing my child) and a gossip (for telling the teachers what I reported to the director so they could point out the welts and make a report of it).

Needless to say my DD did not attend another day of school there. I am still upset about the situation over a year later.

But DD is very happy with her new school so it must have been fate.

#49 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_mia View Post
I have a nanny several days a week while I work and I have done these things. I don't like to leave dishes in the sink or the toys a mess but this is my house and sometimes it is a mess. I do the best I can. This is our life. Many nights I have stayed up to clean so the house isn't a disaster for her but sometimes the best I can do is to make sure there is food in the fridge and coats and shoes where she can find them.

And yes I expect her to come when my kids are sick. That is one of the reasons I use a nanny, so I have the ability to still go into work when my kids are sick. Obviously if they are really sick I stay home but I will leave them with her even if I would not send them to a daycare in that condition because they can sit around the house all day or sleep or whatever. I don't care if she lets them sit on the couch and watch tv all day when they are sick. Also my DH works out of the house and he is around for back up, if she needs it.

I am forever grateful to her for helping us when my DD came home from a week in the hospital and brought a nasty gastro bug with her that we all caught. I absolutely could not care for my children who were both very sick and the fact that she was so good to us during that time has made me overlook a few of her faults. She even offered to do it without pay (which I wouldn't let her do).

While I am glad you have a nanny that is so willing to deal with sick kids, I hope you have the same curtisy for her if she gets sick. I always hated when I was a nanny that the mother expected me to watch her puking child (and she was a WAHM) but when I was sick and stuff was coming out of both ends she got upset that I couldnt' watch her child. WELL if your child didn't get me SICK I wouldn't have this problem. Not to mention, sick kids want their mommy, not me.

I now work in schools and it drives me insane when parents send their sick kids. Sick kid with special needs = horrible day for me, but I deal with it, it is only 6 hours. But when I was a nanny, sick kid at 12 hours was HORRIBLE, for me and the child.

When my baby is born I am going back to home daycare, and just a few of my biggest pet peeves from my daycare days were Late Pay, Late Parents, Parents who expected ME to raise their child, not just provide care while they were working (choosing NOT to be there with their kid, teachers were bad about it, I was willing to hold their spot while they were on vacation, but they wanted to pay and drop their kid off anyway, every day, not just maybe two days a week. Don't you want to spend time with YOUR kid?). Parents who are first time parents and act like because they have a high paying job, they know SO much more about parenting then I do. Lets not forget that this is MY job, I am an expert at my job and you might be an expert at YOUR job but lets work together so we are both experts on what your child NEEDS. And kids who wear fancy dresses and cant' play outside.

#50 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
While I am glad you have a nanny that is so willing to deal with sick kids, I hope you have the same curtisy for her if she gets sick. I always hated when I was a nanny that the mother expected me to watch her puking child (and she was a WAHM) but when I was sick and stuff was coming out of both ends she got upset that I couldnt' watch her child. WELL if your child didn't get me SICK I wouldn't have this problem. Not to mention, sick kids want their mommy, not me.

I now work in schools and it drives me insane when parents send their sick kids. Sick kid with special needs = horrible day for me, but I deal with it, it is only 6 hours. But when I was a nanny, sick kid at 12 hours was HORRIBLE, for me and the child.
I have never complained when she is out sick. I think I have been understanding and accomodating when she is out, even if it is the last minute. Life happens, cars break down, people get sick. I get that. I too would rather be with my sick child but I work for our health insurance and we can't do without it. I barely take home anything after I pay her. My DH works at home and he is perfectly capable of comforting a sick child and he doesn't hesitate to do so or even give her a break if they are being difficult on a regular. I never send them anywhere sick. I'd love to do it all myself when it comes to raising my children but I need my village and really I love that they have a close relationship with another adult. I really feel like she has enriched their lives.

#51 ·
OK, I know this thread started out innocently, but as a working parent, I am starting to take offense to some of these comments.
:

I realize that we all need to vent about our jobs sometimes, but try Googling "Layoffs" and then see if perhaps you can be a little more forgiving of your employer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.