Mothering Forum banner

Moving Support Thread

16K views 312 replies 79 participants last post by  Thalia 
#1 ·
UPDATE: I started this thread almost two years ago, and now we have finally bought a place and will be moving in about six weeks! DD is now almost 18 months old!

Here's the original post:

We are currently renting but are thinking about buying a place and moving in 9 months to a year from now (Jan 08 to Mar 08).

I am trying to start thinking and planning for this NOW, because 1) we are having our first baby in July/August and 2) when we moved DH's stuff into my place when we got married, it was a nightmare. In fact, I remember him finding me in the kitchen at midnight when the movers were due to arrive at 6:00 AM, sitting in front of a box of kitchen utensils, holding a spatula, and crying.

I've learned that both DH and I are packrats, but with sufficient time, we can make good decisions. So I've been using my second trimester energy to try and declutter as much as possible.

So, anyone else planning a move in 12 months? 6 months? 3 months? Two weeks? Let's share inspiration and encouragement! I'm going to post our goals and plans here, please feel free to share yours, too. Or, even better, if you moved recently, please share your tips and lessons learned!

In post #2 of this thread, I'm putting a list of links to moving info that I've collected, as well as the good info that people are posting to this thread. If you know of other good links, please share and I'll add them to the list!

See less See more
#277 ·
Thanks.

Well, I managed to inspire DH tonight and we had a decluttering frenzy. A rare thing, this. We're almost never both inspired to clean at the same time. We managed to fill a BIG cardboard box with paper (rubbish day tomorrow, luckily), and come up with a surprising quantity of things for the garage sale I plan to co-host with Mamma next Saturday. I went through a bunch of old memorabilia, photos etc and culled like a fiend--I'm getting ruthless in my old age. Some of that stuff I'd cherished (albeit passively) for years! And I even packed my first three boxes, aka most of the bathroom cupboard.
: I have a nervous habit of signing up for free samples, so I have drawers full of tiny packets of shampoo (which I no longer use), tampons (pregnant), a single wax strip (?)... random, random stuff. Have determined to use up the last of my nearly-empty moisturisers and so on before we leave. I'll be sleek and hydrated come moving day, that's for sure! The sad thing is, I haven't bought any beauty products since March, I had a 'no new products until 2008' pact going on. And I STILL have gallons of body lotion!

I made a list of things we need to do in the next two weeks, including:

--Transfer internet over to new place (DONE, at least on our end)
--Clean out garage (containing junk we were supposed to sort through when we got married!)
--Declutter the receipts etc from the top of the fridge
--Eat everything out of the big freezer (leftover frozen vichyssoise, frozen bread and frozen pizza for dinner tonight, a good start!)
--Collect things for garage sale (mostly done)
--Go through clothes and donate (try selling at garage sale first as futile gesture)
--Use up nearly-empty toiletries
--Dispose of toxic motorbike oil in garage
--Return all borrowed books, CDs and DVDs
--Email friends, clients etc. our new address
--Go to liquor store and obtain boxes
--Ring around moving-van people for quotes

Gah, that's it for tonight; I'm sleepy.

#278 ·
wow...looks like i was here not too long ago and the thread died

well guess what...we are moving again!

we knew it would be temporary here renting an apt. but we thought about a year or so before we would buy a house...but we already found one

we are moving Dec 31st OMG!!!

just finalized everything this week with inspections and mortgage approval etc!

i just printed out my list of things to do TODAY

#279 ·
Well, I was supposed to declutter/sort through another box in the garage today, but I kinda didn't get round to it. Besides, I'm a little nervous about doing it without DH--this house has been known to be roachy. He discovered one yesterday when he was cleaning out a folder... eugh.

I did, however, organise DH into making some garage sale posters, which I'll take to our local shopping centre's community notice board tomorrow if the weather's OK. While I'm out I might hit up a liquor store for boxen, too; we'll see how it goes. I advertised the garage sale on a few random sites, but I'd never heard of said sites before so I'm dubious... The local school is willing to pop a notice in the newsletter (another thing I have to do tomorrow), and I guess I'd better make some signs? How fun. I've never had a garage sale before!

I also used up all my avocado oil today (as a moisturiser, not for cooking), which means one less bottle to pack from the bathroom. Go me!

#280 ·
Update! The garage sale went OK. I co-hosted it with Mum, who was kind enough to cart away all the leftovers for donation. DH and I made about $30, mostly selling to next-door's kidlings who thought this was all great fun, and kept borrowing coins from their mother to buy her a Christmas present. I felt kinda guilty, to say the least! (Fortunately, some of the stuff, being unused wedding presents and all, would have made fairly nice Christmas presents... but still).

Anyway, the upshot of it all is that we've gotten rid of scads of junk, and now the house is mostly filled with stuff we actually use. DH has the keys to the new house, but sadly, because we use most of the remaining stuff, we can't really take it over. I keep thinking 'Ooh, but I might need my calligraphy set/the serving platters/the cookbooks/the popcorn maker and blender attachments before Christmas Eve!'. Did I mention we're moving on Christmas Eve now? Yup.

#282 ·
Smokering did you move yesterday? How'd it go?

I joined this thread last year and enthusiastically started the process of decluttering, but then DH was offered a promotion at work and decided to take it ans stick it out there another year. Sooooo, I lost momentum quickly, unfortunately.

But here we are again, a year later, thinking about moving this summer. I'm still not certain it will happen, but I do know I want my house decluttered either way, so I am starting again.

I listed a few things on craigslist and freecycle over the last 2 days and have a bunch of clothing in bags that I don't want anymore. Hopefully some of this stuff will actually LEAVE the house soon lol.

So is anyone else still planning a move sometime this year? Just you and me PancakeGoddess?

I'm doing the 2008 decluttering challenge, so that should help

#283 ·
We're planning a move! We don't know when or where - there are a few possibilities that we're waiting to find out more about - but it will be a move, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

The basement is full of my husband's boxes, as in you can't walk through the room full. I have a dream of a beautiful organized basement but can't touch his stuff so am waiting... and in the meantime working on our apartment. It's amazing how much the atmosphere is changing through decluttering, AND how much smoother life runs and how much easier it is to clean up at the end of the day.

#284 ·
Just the thread I was looking for!
We moved into our new home around Thanksgiving while our old starter home was still on the market.
We left quite a bunch of things there, to make it still look lived in (although clean and uncluttered) and it FINALLY sold today.. and they want to close on the 30th- eek! I don't know how we are supposed to get everything emptied in 12-ish days. Oh, and I'm due on Sunday with our third child
:
It's a lot of stuff.. I think freecycle is going to be my friend this week. And everything else can just get boxed up and taken care of later. It's just such short notice- UGH.

#285 ·
We just bought a house in a city about 200 km away.

We will be moving from a living space that is about 1500 sq feet into about 1100 sq feet and losing a double car garage that we currently only use for storage.

We figure we have to get rid of about half of everything we own in the next 6 weeks. We take possession in less than 2 months!

#286 ·
I joined this thread way back last year in the middle of the summer sometime. Well we FINALLY got approved and accepted into the housing we wanted! And now we're looking at moving this apartment we've lived in for 6 years.. in less than 2 weeks.

Did I mention I'm due to have a baby on Feb 12th?
Oh this will be so much fun. hahah

#287 ·
Bumping up this excellent old thread (if I do say so myself) because there's a good possibility we'll be moving in the next 2 to 6 months. I sure hope we will be. We finally got serious about our house search in August, and have been looking ever since. We are currently in negotiations for one property, but I don't know if it is going to work out. If it does, we'll probably be moving in late February or early March!

Anyone else moving out there with this crazy housing market?

#288 ·
We're moving in February- it is an in-town move, but it still sucks.
I will be 7 months pregnant when we do it, so I am trying to start packing now.

We have decided to bring a carful of stuff over to the new house every time we go over. We closed on the house in November, and we are renovating. But we have designated a portion of the basement for storage - so I have already brought over a bunch of Christmas stuff. I think I am going to pack my formal dining room next, and then my sewing/craft room. Unfortunately, I am going to want most of my sewing stuff for diapers and clothes for the new baby, so I am thinking of packing only what isn't getting used and leaving the rest accessible.

#289 ·
Ours will be in-town, too. Thank goodness. There's a possibility that my mom will fly into town to help with DD while we are getting ready, which would be fantastic. The sellers we are working with are going to take the weekend to think over our latest offer, so we'll see.

#290 ·
Well, we have done another round of offers and counteroffers with the sellers, and have put in our final offer. If they don't take us up on this one, it's back to the drawing board.

#291 ·
I'm moving tomorrow, an hour away. I'm moving from the countryside to the city. I started packing today. My SIL has been living with me for a few months and she was supposed to move out today but she got the huge rental truck stuck in my driveway and we have to wait till morning for a tow truck to help us. Ah the joys of moving!
We are moving from our house to a smaller rental home and hopefully we can rent our house out. I sure will miss my house but won't miss the area, I can't wait to be in the city again with so much to do and see and to have neighbors again!

#293 ·
We have now moved up the closing to 2/10, which means we will move at the end of February. Today I started feeling rather overwhelmed about it all. If I were still childless, I think I'd feel fine about it. But I have no idea how I'm going to find the time to pack while working full-time out of the house and raising a toddler, and my husband's job is more demanding than mine is and involves a commute. I'm also not looking forward to the mess and the break in our routines, since routines are what gets me through the day with a little one at this stage.

Okay, vent over. Just needed to get that out there!

I started reviewing moving companies today and cross checking them with the BBB. My goal is to get estimates from three companies with good reviews on Yelp.com who are also accredited by the BBB.

Here are my other short term goals:

• Arrange to have contractors come and do estimates on work in the house that'll we do after closing but before we move in.
  • Arrange to have the Salvation Army come and do a pick up of all the stuff we need to give away before we move.
  • Purge every room of the house of junk and earmark stuff to be donated.
  • Once we settle on a firm moving date, arrange for utilities at the new house.
  • See if DD can stay at our friends' home the day of the move so it won't be boring/traumatic/dirty/dangerous for her.
  • Decide if there is anything we want to move ourselves.
  • Order packing materials/scrounge free boxes.
  • Join Angie's list to help in finding some of the people we need to help us with repairs and maintenance issues from the inspection (chimney sweep, plumber, HVAC).
That's all I can think of for now but I know there is lots more!
:

#294 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
We have now moved up the closing to 2/10, which means we will move at the end of February. Today I started feeling rather overwhelmed about it all. If I were still childless, I think I'd feel fine about it. But I have no idea how I'm going to find the time to pack while working full-time out of the house and raising a toddler, and my husband's job is more demanding than mine is and involves a commute. I'm also not looking forward to the mess and the break in our routines, since routines are what gets me through the day with a little one at this stage.
The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was, "Ask for help!" Friends often want to help & don't know how. We also hesitate to ask for what would be easily & gratefully given. I love it when a friend trusts our friendship enough to ask for help. An extra pair of eyes to watch the babe & hands to pack the boxes might relieve some of your stress & be fun at the same time.

#295 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by auntieM View Post
The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was, "Ask for help!" Friends often want to help & don't know how. We also hesitate to ask for what would be easily & gratefully given. I love it when a friend trusts our friendship enough to ask for help. An extra pair of eyes to watch the babe & hands to pack the boxes might relieve some of your stress & be fun at the same time.
That's a good idea. I will have to think of how we can have our friends help. It'll be challenging, because our place is very cramped as it is, and with all the boxes, it'll be hard to have room for even us, let alone helpers. Also, many of our friends have young kids at home or are pregnant, so it may not be possible for them to help with the stuff we need help with. But I will think about it!

#296 ·
Congratulations! We've also bought a house and are planning a move. We're closing on 2/19 but we're not moving until early July (and thank goodness, because my second child is due in mid-February, LOL.) It'll be long distance though, I think we're planning to drive the ~1600 miles.

I'll be watching this thread.
It seems to me that toddler supervision while you pack and/or clean can be the biggest help, and most any mommy friends will understand and be willing to pitch in with that.
And maybe meal support so you can use your valuable after-work time on moving stuff and not cooking?

#297 ·
Thanks, Alison. Good ideas!

We are still waiting for the seller to finally settle on a closing date. They moved from the original date to the 10th, and now they want to move back to the 17th, which we can no longer do. Sigh. But they are letting us into the house tomorrow to get some estimates from contractors, so that is progress.

#298 ·
I can't believe I can actually jump in on this thread. We've wavered so much about whether or not to settle down in this city. But the economic reports have us wanting to hunker down. (DP currently has a fairly secure job.) So we started looking and this amazing deal fell right into our laps. We have pushed closing out to March but we're currently under contract. I don't foresee any problems (knock knock).

About children and moving....I'm feeling kind of guilty about this but I'm actually taking my 5 y/o out of town with me and leaving DP to move us on his own. Sounds harsh on the surface, but DP has very good friends who will most certainly help him a great deal. And with the "family" out of the way I think he's much more likely to have an easier time of it. Make sense?

The biggest reason I'm taking DD out of town is that she is a clutter-hound. It's truly terrible. If she witnesses us declutter her stuff she's gonna freak and that's going to take way too much time and energy to deal with. We've simply got to do it while she's not looking. And what better way to distract her than to take her to visit distant cousins and bring her back to a brand new house?! At least that's the plan. By the way all the things that are forcibly decluttered will be put into a box. If DD misses something and can name it and describe it with enough detail that we can identify it then she'll get that back. But no peeking in the box on her part. She doesn't need any visual reminders of those most precious possessions that she will certainly have forgotten about.

(Wow. I don't think I've ever sounded like a most terrible partner AND mother in the same thread before!)

Anyhow I'm happy to join this thread. Best luck to those of you who are still in process!

#299 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post

About children and moving....I'm feeling kind of guilty about this but I'm actually taking my 5 y/o out of town with me and leaving DP to move us on his own. Sounds harsh on the surface, but DP has very good friends who will most certainly help him a great deal. And with the "family" out of the way I think he's much more likely to have an easier time of it. Make sense?

It makes total sense and I wish I could do the same! Luckily, our DD is too little to be super attached to lots of stuff, and so far we've managed to keep her stuff under control. My biggest worry is how to keep her distracted when I need to try and sort and purge and pack OUR stuff.

We now finally have a fixed closing date, the 17th. DH's parents are driving down from Milwaukee to watch DD so that we can do the closing.

We brought contractors to the house for estimates last week. We were able to hire a great painter, so that's taken care of. Part of me doesn't want to pay someone to do something I can do myself, but then I remember that if I wanted to paint the entire house, I'd have to hire someone to watch DD while I did it. And I'd never see her since I work full-time. That makes me feel better. Now if I could only find enough time with DH to talk over paint colors choices...

We're also trying to decide whether to convert a closet downstairs into a powder room. The house only has one bathroom, on the second floor. There is a space we can convert, but it's going to be tiny. And probably expensive, anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000 (we are still waiting on the estimates). But it sure would be nice to have a main floor bathroom if and when I get pregnant again. And for potty learning.

#300 ·
Also just wanted to update that we now have three quotes from movers and will be getting the last one on Saturday. I'll be glad when that is finished!

#301 ·
Thalia I am right there with you! I joined this thread long ago but this time it is for real! We sold our house (closes 2/19) and bought a farmhouse
: (closes 2/20). We are moving on 2/21!

We also decided to use movers this time. The new house is a little over an hour away and involves a ferry ride, so it would be too hard to try to do it without help. I got several estimates and chose a company. Just making final arrangements with them next week.

This is happening pretty quickly now and I still have tons of packing to do! I got a bunch of boxes and packing paper this week so now I just have to get on the packing.

I agree it is hard with a child but DD really wants to be helpful. I'm trying to pack non fragile stuff 'with' her and do the dishes and things while she is in preschool (just 2 days a week so not a lot of time).

I may hire a babysitter for one day next week during the day so I can focus even more. Depends on how much I get done this weekend.

I'm really excited but wow it is a lot of work huh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.