Mothering Forum banner

Midwives in Tucson

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Serendipity 
#1 ·
Who are people recommending for midwives in and around Tucson these days? I went to the azdhs.com website and noticed that there were recently a lot of fines handed down in AZ. Most for silly stuff like not turning in records stating they hadn't done any births, but a couple for actual violations. I was wondering who people are using.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzoie View Post
Who are people recommending for midwives in and around Tucson these days? I went to the azdhs.com website and noticed that there were recently a lot of fines handed down in AZ. Most for silly stuff like not turning in records stating they hadn't done any births, but a couple for actual violations. I was wondering who people are using.
when are you due?

I hear everyone is super busy lately!

I had an amazing experience with amy zenizo, i have dear friends that had beautiful births with billye & bette & stephanie....

the only one ive heard of negative experiences with is no longer practicing... so I dont think you have to worry much about her

#5 ·
Quote:

Actually, I'm using Lisa Block-Wieser, she's back !!!!

oh. well now i'm totally confused as to why you were asking about midwives....

i'd definitely ask her for recent clients that you can call as references....

Ive never met her, but i havent really heard too many great things about her....

#6 ·
Actually the question was more about who is everyone else using more than looking for a recommendation. I'm sorry that you haven't heard good things. Before she took a brief hiatus she was the busiest midwife in town. I'm glad that there are plenty of midwives for people to choose from to find that right fit.

#7 ·
Wow, I've always heard good things about her. I've never heard anything negative at all, but everyone's different...not a biggie. I didn't know she was back and practicing either.

#8 ·
Quote:

Actually the question was more about who is everyone else using more than looking for a recommendation. I'm sorry that you haven't heard good things. Before she took a brief hiatus she was the busiest midwife in town. I'm glad that there are plenty of midwives for people to choose from to find that right fit.
like I said, I havent met her.... most of the things I have heard have nothing to do with her actual skills as a cnm.

personally i wanted a more spiritual experience with my birth and from what I have heard about her, over the past 4 years I have been around birthing mamas, is that she is more medical minded and less "with woman". I want a midwife to have skills, but I want her to have heart.

maybe the busy part was the problem.

I guess I just think that the busy part came from the fact that she took insurance and was a CNM.... which I think is important to people who are less informed or less comfortable with homebirthing.

idk, just my opinions.... I personally would never go with a CNM. I am a RN and I dislike very much the application of western medical model on birth.

I am glad she is back though, anything that keeps women from the hospital and at home where they are safe is much better in my eyes.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Wow, I've always heard good things about her. I've never heard anything negative at all, but everyone's different...not a biggie. I didn't know she was back and practicing either.
i have totally heard of people having overall good births, dont get me wrong.

but even as far back as a couple of years ago i would cringe at some of the things she does.

i wonder when she announced she was back?

zzoie, how did you find out?

will she have an office?

when are you due again? i thought i remembered you posting back in january of last year looking for a midwife....

#10 ·
I agree, anything that gives women more choices! I'm an RN too and I agree about western medicine and birth, it makes me insane, however I've found her to be so completely flexible. As a matter of fact, I work in a clinic that has OB/GYN and they think I'm crazy. It's amazing the things that they think are required to be pregnant and give birth (US's, other tests etc). I've also got someone else who will be there too who is almost totally the opposite, so I think it's a good balance. I know there are good LM's, I've heard good things about the ones you mentioned, but I employed a VERY BAD one once, in this town, so I just like Lisa's experience level and flexibility. I've seen her at a lot of births and liked what I saw.
She's actually just in the process of announcing that she's back. She actually doesn't ever plan to be as busy as she was. I'm due the end of next month!

#11 ·
i've been reading all the discussions on here about midwives in tucson and giving birth at home and so on. i was just recently disappointed by the birth center and feel like i need to move on. in the beginning of my pregnancy i was seeing a allopathic doctor at copper state and while she was great i really liked the idea of trying for a natural water birth. now that i no longer want to be cared for through the Birth Center I feel lost and frustrated. I tried to email Lisa Blocke-Wieser and the e-mail came back undeliverable. I want a midwife but don't feel that I can have my first at home. I live an hour away and there is a history of the women in my family not dilating. any suggestions???? i feel like at 24 weeks i should have this down, but i now feel that i have to start all over again....

#12 ·
I had Lisa with both my births and really liked her. She left me completely alone while in labor, like she wasn't even there which was nice and during the birth she was awesome. My second was a fairly complicated one to push out and I got through it without a even a tear. Very happy with her. I can understand why some may not like her bedside manner as she's kind of intense but she's a fantastic midwife.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leighluubee View Post
i've been reading all the discussions on here about midwives in tucson and giving birth at home and so on. i was just recently disappointed by the birth center and feel like i need to move on. in the beginning of my pregnancy i was seeing a allopathic doctor at copper state and while she was great i really liked the idea of trying for a natural water birth. now that i no longer want to be cared for through the Birth Center I feel lost and frustrated. I tried to email Lisa Blocke-Wieser and the e-mail came back undeliverable. I want a midwife but don't feel that I can have my first at home. I live an hour away and there is a history of the women in my family not dilating. any suggestions???? i feel like at 24 weeks i should have this down, but i now feel that i have to start all over again....
Stephanie (can't remember last name) is in SierraVista. Is that closer to you? Just search through the old posts. the contact info should be there. or someone might have it.

Regarding "starting over" I think I was at like 28 weeks when I started researching midwives. Don't worry abt that.

Regarding "not dilating", read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Internalize it. Read Unassisted Childbirth by LauraKaplan Shanley. Know that you are totally capable. Start to think of every contraction as a gift to welcome. Envision yourself being completely open to every sensation that you will feel. Envision yourself with soft horse lips. See yourself in that blow up pool with calm acceptance of anything that comes your way.

#19 ·
OP, you and I had PM'd back and forth a bit about your bad experience and how I narrowly missed it. I'm not in the area anymore but I just wanted to send you some happy birthing vibes

#23 ·
Just want to second or third Billye Matthews... my sister is under her care now and she is so so impressed! My sis recently developed PUPPPS and Billye has gone to extraordinary lengths to find something to give her some relief. And she even made some salve for me and she's never even met me. I have midwife jealousy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.