Mothering Forum banner

MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals

21K views 177 replies 25 participants last post by  marge234 
#1 ·
I just got blood work back, and It looks like I've got MTHFR issues. I'm heterozygous for both 677C>T and 1298A>C. The lab comments and internet say this is the higher risk category, but the Dr's comments say it's normal...

It's common advice with MTHFR variations to take a baby aspirin every day. Aspirin=salicylates, which I'm as sure as I can be that I'm sensitive to without having actually tested them yet. So in other words, for me, eating sals could be protecting me from clotting disorders??

But I've also been reading about how salicylates stimulate your adrenals and basically cause adrenal fatigue. I've had symptoms of adrenal issues my whole life, and they're totally responding to vitamin supplements.

And to confuse the picture even more, my homocysteine levels are normal - both before and a month after removing sals... Isn't that the major variable in question with MTHFR mutations?

:

*********see post 13 for a summary*********

See less See more
#127 ·
Jacqueline, yes, that's the one! Except I guess I was too slow, cause it says Page Not Found.

eta: if it's the Testing Pathways page, I wrote a bit, and you should join me. I guess I will share the things that all fit together for me, that's helped me link all my health stuff into one problem (lots of facets, but basically one problem).

#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jacqueline, yes, that's the one! Except I guess I was too slow, cause it says Page Not Found.

eta: if it's the Testing Pathways page, I wrote a bit, and you should join me. I guess I will share the things that all fit together for me, that's helped me link all my health stuff into one problem (lots of facets, but basically one problem).
http://heal-thyself.ning.com/forum/t...sting-pathways

#129 ·
Cool, somehow the first link didn't work but I guessed where to end up, and it turned out I was right.

But whoMe, I'm not nearly as in-depth as you are, I've been much more end-product-focused. I added a bit to that discussion, but I should go back to tuberose and re-read, or better yet, Jacqueline should jump in, she sees different things than I do, so we work well together.

#130 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post

Actually, this advertising pdf is more informative... http://www.bravacorp.com/metagenicsactifolate.pdf
So, is it true that something like this product, Actifolate, is different from folic acid, and therefore taking somtehing like this would only help improve methylation and not potentially cause damage? whoMe, I don't remember now, and can't find it, did you say you were taking folate or folic acid?

#131 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Elm!!! The Bach Flower Remedy. I love me some Elm!!
:

Mama, I have come to believe that MY stress impacts ds more than any other variable in his life.

Bach Flower remedies are our friend.

Adding Natural Calm helped significantly. http://www.calmnatural.com/product/18340500004

I have been feeling so much better since changing our diet, but lately I have been really having some anger and stress issues. I just get frustrated and angry easily. I have been thinking for a while that Natural Calm might be good for me. Just one question: Is magnesium one of these things that, if I have a screwy detox pathway somewhere, taking this could throw something else off? Do you know what I mean?

We need a giant chart that shows the flow of how all the supplemental nutrients work. Like, don't take this or that if you have low vit D, etc.

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I dug. I was cleaning kids' rooms today anyway, and the boxes are under DS's eave. But there wasn't anything in there, so I guess I could call the OB. It was 4 years ago. Do you think that kind of thing is even on the genetic testing? I can call and ask but I don't want them to think I'm loopy.

I wouldn't worry about what they think! Just call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yeah. But if you dig even deeper, (or just read my lab results), if you're hetero for BOTH mutations (677 and 1298), then you're also at risk. I'm currently thinking that my normal homocysteine is a result of a CBS upregulation (fast transsulfuration).
Okay, thanks. I am just now catching up on all of this.

#133 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I have been feeling so much better since changing our diet, but lately I have been really having some anger and stress issues. I just get frustrated and angry easily. I have been thinking for a while that Natural Calm might be good for me. Just one question: Is magnesium one of these things that, if I have a screwy detox pathway somewhere, taking this could throw something else off? Do you know what I mean?

We need a giant chart that shows the flow of how all the supplemental nutrients work. Like, don't take this or that if you have low vit D, etc.
I was just reading about TCM and springtime foods, anger is a very springtime emotion. TCM suggests tart foods, they're good for the liver and gallbladder (anger in my daughter is the reason we added in some more liver support last year). Not sure how or if this can apply, but I was just reading about it yesterday. I'm re-starting my lemon juice before breakfast routine as part of this (and cause my liver can always use support).

#134 ·
Quote:

So, is it true that something like this product, Actifolate, is different from folic acid, and therefore taking somtehing like this would only help improve methylation and not potentially cause damage? whoMe, I don't remember now, and can't find it, did you say you were taking folate or folic acid?
With the MTHFR 677 mutation, you have trouble converting other forms into folate, so folate is the form you probably want. With the 1298 mutation, you have trouble converting folate into one of the other forms - so adding lots of folate is helpful (and maybe it would help to add some of the end result at well? I should look into that). You don't want to just add the result on this one because the conversion process creates an important enzyme (BH4).

HOWEVER. Some people don't need more methyl groups. It's possible to be an overmethylator. Some signs of that might include low dopamine and low blood histamine levels

Quote:

As soon as I can picture that chart in my head, it will be created!

Frustration and anger for me are either an adrenal issue that's helped by pantothenic acid (and opening the acetylation pathway?) or norepinephrine being too high, which could point to a number of things.

#135 ·
Quote:

Cool, somehow the first link didn't work but I guessed where to end up, and it turned out I was right.

But whoMe, I'm not nearly as in-depth as you are, I've been much more end-product-focused. I added a bit to that discussion, but I should go back to tuberose and re-read, or better yet, Jacqueline should jump in, she sees different things than I do, so we work well together.
For some reason, I wasn't getting notifications about replies yesterday and today we have to head to the city again (DH's laptop broke and the service people are there- it's a Mac, so he can't fix it, doesn't know how- and he's a big suck so he doesn't want to make the drive alone
).
I'll try to join the discussion over on Heal-Thyself later today or tomorrow. I'm not as knowledgeable about phase I as you are though, Tanya, and I need to read more on phase I... I *still* haven't finished the entire tuberose article- I've been jumping around in it and skimming a lot.

#136 ·
chlobo, I dug out my Adrenal Support supp today and apparently I take the same brand which you used to take... Vital Nutrients.
Does your new adrenal supp give pantothenic acid in it as well? Just wondering since the Vital Nutrients one gives 100mg and I'm curious if maybe that's the difference...

Can someone remind me as to which pathway is assisted by B5?

#137 ·
Jacqueline, I was really slow in figuring out that you've been so sick you haven't been able to take any of your supps! Holy moley, and wow, I went through a pregnancy in a similar state, no fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you're starting to feel better and can start doing some more of the things that will make you feel somewhat reasonable/functional.

#140 ·
Quote:

I was just reading about TCM and springtime foods, anger is a very springtime emotion. TCM suggests tart foods, they're good for the liver and gallbladder (anger in my daughter is the reason we added in some more liver support last year). Not sure how or if this can apply, but I was just reading about it yesterday. I'm re-starting my lemon juice before breakfast routine as part of this (and cause my liver can always use support).
That's a great reminder. I used to drink lemon water in the morning too. I definitely feel better when I get up and drink water first, instead of eating right away. That's interesting about spring and anger. I've been eating bananas a lot, because of the kids, and because we haven't lots of other carbs back in. Maybe I have gotten out of balance to the sweet side and need more tart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
With the MTHFR 677 mutation, you have trouble converting other forms into folate, so folate is the form you probably want. With the 1298 mutation, you have trouble converting folate into one of the other forms - so adding lots of folate is helpful (and maybe it would help to add some of the end result at well? I should look into that). You don't want to just add the result on this one because the conversion process creates an important enzyme (BH4).

HOWEVER. Some people don't need more methyl groups. It's possible to be an overmethylator. Some signs of that might include low dopamine and low blood histamine levels

As soon as I can picture that chart in my head, it will be created!

Frustration and anger for me are either an adrenal issue that's helped by pantothenic acid (and opening the acetylation pathway?) or norepinephrine being too high, which could point to a number of things.
So, if you're an under-methylator, you can assume you probably need folate and take something like that Actifolate? It sound like it's probably better to just go ahead and take folate instead of folic acid anyway. Is there anything that's produced in converting folic acid to folate?

And then if you are an over-methylator, then don't take folate?

I honestly don't know how to tell that. When I looked at the charts that gave indicators, I was really divided between over and under, almost exactly in half.

I do know that when I take a B complex, I fell much better and handle stress better. To the point where I could tell if I didn't take it for even one day. BUT when I started SCD, I found I was fine not taking the B at first, but now it's crept back up on me. (It's been two months.)

#141 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
chlobo, I dug out my Adrenal Support supp today and apparently I take the same brand which you used to take... Vital Nutrients.
Does your new adrenal supp give pantothenic acid in it as well? Just wondering since the Vital Nutrients one gives 100mg and I'm curious if maybe that's the difference...

Can someone remind me as to which pathway is assisted by B5?
The new supplement continas:

Proprietary blend: Bovine adrenal PMG extract and magnesium citrate.

#142 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
The new supplement contains:

Proprietary blend: Bovine adrenal PMG extract and magnesium citrate.
That's it?
When I was researching what to do for adrenal support, I came across many sources that suggested more than just adrenal extract. Don't ask for sources, I can't remember anymore.

Anyway, when I then went to look at my adrenal support, they are *all* provided in the Vital Nutrients brand. I no longer remember the reasons for each of them, but the active ingredients are: Bovine Adrenal (both whole and cortex), Eleuthero root extract, ashwaganda root extract, cordyceps sinensis and mycelium extract. Then, of course, the B5/pantothenic acid.

I'm not certain of what you're avoiding, so the other ingredients in the VN Adrenal support are: gelatin capsules, rice powder, calcium carbonate. Says it may contain Ascorbyl palmitate and/or silica.
(No, I don't work for Vital Nutrients but I *do* trust them. The fact that my ND can speak directly to their company gives me a lot of confidence in their product. I had a question about one product they make and my ND got on the phone and had an answer for me within 5 minutes.)

PS. I fixed your typo so it wouldn't be quoted.

#144 ·
Quote:

That's it?
When I was researching what to do for adrenal support, I came across many sources that suggested more than just adrenal extract. Don't ask for sources, I can't remember anymore.

Anyway, when I then went to look at my adrenal support, they are *all* provided in the Vital Nutrients brand. I no longer remember the reasons for each of them, but the active ingredients are: Bovine Adrenal (both whole and cortex), Eleuthero root extract, ashwaganda root extract, cordyceps sinensis and mycelium extract. Then, of course, the B5/pantothenic acid.

I'm not certain of what you're avoiding, so the other ingredients in the VN Adrenal support are: gelatin capsules, rice powder, calcium carbonate. Says it may contain Ascorbyl palmitate and/or silica.
(No, I don't work for Vital Nutrients but I *do* trust them. The fact that my ND can speak directly to their company gives me a lot of confidence in their product. I had a question about one product they make and my ND got on the phone and had an answer for me within 5 minutes.)

PS. I fixed your typo so it wouldn't be quoted.

Quote:
Thanks ladies. Vital Nutrients was rxed by an ND I saw in CT. He then went on "personal leave" and I was supposed to follow up with another ND in his office. However, I wasn't really comfortable doing that since I never met him. I then saw another ND, who actually consults to the supplement industry. He uses another brand but said that Vital Nutrients was fine and I should stick with it.

Fast forward a while and I saw an intuitive CST practitioner/nutritionist for Adam so see if we could pinpoint areas for his CST to work on. She was the one who said that if my current brand didn't seem to be making a difference I should switch to Standard Process. So I gave hit a shot. Well I think maybe the VN was working b/c I felt like crap after about a week of doing the SP. So I've switched back to the VN for now. I'm feeling better but I'm still feeling quite sore in the joints and I have this one pain that is just above my right butt cheek. Reminds me a bit of when I had sciatica. I went to the Chiro on Sat. & I could feel some release in that area but the pain is not a "chiropractic" type of pain, IYKWIM? I'm not sure what to do about it next.

And, I'm not sure what to do about practitioners. Sheesh. I just can't seem to get it right. And I'm too tired to absorb all the wonderful information you ladies are putting out here.

Althoughh Pat, you'll be happy to know that I resurrected my water Kefir grains and just finished making my second batch of "fruity" kefir (using fruit juice in a second ferment). And my daughter *loves* it (at least this week).

So, I'm doing my fermented veggies, water kefir & occasional kombucha. And this weekend I'm taking a course on making GF/CF traditional sourdough bread.

I also forwarded that wonderful link you created yesterday ("next steps") to my DH (who has terrible bowel problems) to help put him on the road to healing. He needs to see the step by step.

I just wish I had a HC practitioner to walk this journey with me and prevent me from making errors like with the SP. And someone who understands all the wonderful information about detoxing pathways. Because the more I think about it, the more I believe I need it.

#145 ·
Quote:

And this weekend I'm taking a course on making GF/CF traditional sourdough bread.
Wow, that sounds cool. I honestly didn't know there was such a way! Please share how it went! This is one of the things that gives me pause about GF/CF is that people wind up still eating a lot of processed carbs in place.

#146 ·
Speaking of gfcf bread-like stuff, I am going to try making idlis this week.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...-ix-idlis.html

If it works, I think it'll be a) fermented, b) gf without weird ingredients, and c) bread-like to fulfill our bread cravings. Now I just need to decide on a tasty dipping sauce (an easy chutney or something else yummy).

Weird pains and low vitD go together. And low vitD and adrenal fatigue to together (and to some extent hypothyroid, since A gets low and since A & D work together).

I agree that if you can find a great healthcare provider, that's best. I've been working on visualization, it seems to be helping, both in that it helps me take more positive steps toward what I want, and I think it helps in a more general, spiritual way.

#147 ·
Quote:

Althoughh Pat, you'll be happy to know that I resurrected my water Kefir grains and just finished making my second batch of "fruity" kefir (using fruit juice in a second ferment). And my daughter *loves* it (at least this week).

So, I'm doing my fermented veggies, water kefir & occasional kombucha. And this weekend I'm taking a course on making GF/CF traditional sourdough bread.
:

Pat

#148 ·
Quote:
Just to be clear, the sourcing of all adrenal products (as in bovine adrenals) is a concern? For those of us who rely on this supplement form, how would you recommend dealing with this?

#149 ·
Quote:

Thanks ladies. Vital Nutrients was rxed by an ND I saw in CT. He then went on "personal leave" and I was supposed to follow up with another ND in his office. However, I wasn't really comfortable doing that since I never met him. I then saw another ND, who actually consults to the supplement industry. He uses another brand but said that Vital Nutrients was fine and I should stick with it.
I've called VN and gotten instant answers. They're one town away from me. Maybe I should go work for them and I can get them to take soy out of their fish oil and corn out of some of their other stuff! The ND recommended them for me and so far I've had good luck with them. Maybe I'll order some of the Adrenal Support from them and see if it helps.

#150 ·
Quote:

Just to be clear, the sourcing of all adrenal products (as in bovine adrenals) is a concern? For those of us who rely on this supplement form, how would you recommend dealing with this?
From what I've read and learned and observed, the hormones are interconnected to nutrition. I don't have specific alternatives to recommend for folks with significant adrenal issues, other than holistic, nutritive alternatives, homeopathy, and stress reduction. All of which I believe are safer and effective.

When I read about the neurophysiological impact of the adrenal support, it makes me uncomfortable. But, plenty of folks take pharmacological synthetic alternatives all the time also. There is a whole continuum of comfort regarding bio-chemical interventions. I can see that a "natural" alternative seems preferable, also. My intention is to facilitate awareness about the risks/benefits, in light of what we are seeing is a complex system which is not well understood by the medical model. Each person must weigh those variables individually.

Pat

#151 ·
Quote:

Wow, that sounds cool. I honestly didn't know there was such a way! Please share how it went! This is one of the things that gives me pause about GF/CF is that people wind up still eating a lot of processed carbs in place.
This course is taught by a woman who used traditional foods (gf/cf) to restore her health. Maybe its Pat in disguise. Remind me to tell you how it went. I can only rub about 2 brains cells together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.