Mothering Forum banner

Gestational Diabetes Support Group

99K views 1K replies 168 participants last post by  janenedalrymple 
#1 ·

Well this is a thread/group for anyone dealing with GD on any level. Newly Dx'd, had it before, have it again or lookign at the possibility of dealign with it. Whoever you are - regardless of whether you HAVE GD or support someone (mother, sister, Daughter, Client) with it. This (I hope) can be a place for you to vent, bitch, whine, complain, share, support, give hope to, give suggestions to or whatever for whoever/whenever/whatever issue you might have that is related to GD and it's complications and concerns.

Be blessed.

This spawns from my recent Dx of early onset GD (I'm 11w2d) and was Dx'd two weeks ago when I failed my GTT with a number of 188.

See less See more
#777 ·
YES, numbers go up if you are sick or sleep-deprived or under stress. I note that on my sugar logs. So does my mom, who is a typeII diabetic. My glucometer even lets you "tag" readings with being sick. You should definitely note it and let your HCP know.

#778 ·
This is good to know about numbers being higher when sick or not sleeping! Then if this happens I will worry less. I'm bummed about the concept of the foods becoming resistant although it makes total sense. I just was hoping to get a good evening food combo and be able to stick with it. I'm not on meds just diet at this point.

#779 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
I guess what I am asking is anyone one else experience this (high numbers when sick)? And have you found anything that helps?
YES YES YES. And no, there's not much to do about it. Cutting my carbs WAY back just resulted in spilling ketones, so that doesn't even work. Your body is working hard to keep it's energy stores available to your immune system to fight off the bug. Unless your numbers are way out of whack I wouldn't worry about it. If your 5-10 points higher on average, that's probably the best you can do. Even when I had a stomach bug and hadn't eaten in 3 days (drank really diluted Powerade w/ about 18g sugar every 4 hours) my sugars were still 110-120 during the day (and fasting around 85).

Amy, try finding a second snack that works for you and doing 3 days of each?

#780 ·
uggh back to 102 this morning with the same snack BUT I was exhausted last night and didn't exercise. I took a nice long walk in the morning but didn't have the energy for any in the evening. Still have wonderful after meal numbers...this is so frustrating!

#781 ·
Anyone tried cinnamon? Either in/on food or as a capsule. My fasting numbers are still killing me (ranging between 101-104) and I'm willing to try anything at this point to try and avoid the insulin. I go back to the diabetes educator tomorrow to find out how much longer they are going to give me. All of my after meals numbers rock. I haven't had anything over 111 and most are in the 80's/90's.

#782 ·
See what your diabetes educator says. Maybe its a "dawn effect" thing more than an indication of overall high blood sugar, since your other numbers are so low?

I've been consciously adding cinnamon to my food, but not taking it as a capsule, I read that it maybe of negligible value? My HB midwife has me taking more vitamin D, and also upping my magnesium (and taking it separately from calcium) and chromium. All of which she said might help (and might not, but I guess aren't bad for me anyway). She also said that acupuncture can be really helpful with sugar metabolism (and I heard that from a couple of different sources), but since my fasting numbers have been low (this morning was 78!) and I'm under a ton of stress with school/work so I just haven't even made time for that.

I forget- do you test 1hr or 2hr postprandial? When I switched to 1hr, and had to really cut down on carbs to keep that below 130, and then my fasting number dropped too. I think I remember that our 3hr GTTs were similar- normal fasting, quick rise (I had one high, and one borderline) then normal again by 3hrs. Seems that I just spike up high and then drop back down, so 2hr testing wasn't showing that. Though frankly I sort of wish nobody ever told me to do 1hr testing, ykim? Its made my diet much more restrictive.

I know you are exercising too but so you notice a difference if you can squeeze it in at night? Can you do a DVD after dinner or something? I hear you about being too exhausted to do it though- last night I just couldn't bring myself to.

Ugh, won't it be nice to have the babies and to stop worrying about all this. It requires a lot of mental energy that I am not used to devoting to the little details of my eating. Even though everything seems to be going just great with me right now, nice normal blood sugars almost all the time, its still just something I wish I didn't have to think about.

#783 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
See what your diabetes educator says. Maybe its a "dawn effect" thing more than an indication of overall high blood sugar, since your other numbers are so low?

I've been consciously adding cinnamon to my food, but not taking it as a capsule, I read that it maybe of negligible value? My HB midwife has me taking more vitamin D, and also upping my magnesium (and taking it separately from calcium) and chromium. All of which she said might help (and might not, but I guess aren't bad for me anyway). She also said that acupuncture can be really helpful with sugar metabolism (and I heard that from a couple of different sources), but since my fasting numbers have been low (this morning was 78!) and I'm under a ton of stress with school/work so I just haven't even made time for that.

I forget- do you test 1hr or 2hr postprandial? When I switched to 1hr, and had to really cut down on carbs to keep that below 130, and then my fasting number dropped too. I think I remember that our 3hr GTTs were similar- normal fasting, quick rise (I had one high, and one borderline) then normal again by 3hrs. Seems that I just spike up high and then drop back down, so 2hr testing wasn't showing that. Though frankly I sort of wish nobody ever told me to do 1hr testing, ykim? Its made my diet much more restrictive.

I know you are exercising too but so you notice a difference if you can squeeze it in at night? Can you do a DVD after dinner or something? I hear you about being too exhausted to do it though- last night I just couldn't bring myself to.

Ugh, won't it be nice to have the babies and to stop worrying about all this. It requires a lot of mental energy that I am not used to devoting to the little details of my eating. Even though everything seems to be going just great with me right now, nice normal blood sugars almost all the time, its still just something I wish I didn't have to think about.
I test for meals after 2 hours. If I had to test after 1 hour they would want it under 140 but they discouraged that for some reason so I have no idea what my one hour level would be. Yeah my 3 hour GTT was fasting normal at 93(go figure), then 191 at one hour, 168 at 2 hours, down to 78 after 3 hours. And yeah May can't get here soon enough! I can't remember, when are you due? I also lost weight at my midwife appointment yesterday and I'm NOT fluffy to begin with so I can't imagine restricting my food anymore than I already am..... The past two nights I've tried eating in the middle of the night, around 2am and it hasn't done anything. I've tried a different evening snack every night and nothing. I've exercised at different times of the day, nothing. There was one morning I got a 93 but I didn't do anything differently so I have no idea. It was the weekend though so I probably tested later in the morning after sleeping in a bit. Do you test immediately when you wake up and what time is that? Would my number be better if I'm up and about a bit and drink some water before testing fasting as long as I hadn't eaten anything? I mean that's when I got a good number at the hospital. I had obviously been up and about for about an hour before getting the blood drawn. I'm just at my whits end...... I'll update again after my appointment with the diabetes educator tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!

#784 ·
Amydoula, hope you have a good meeting today. Maybe test a few times in the morning and see what you get? Then record your "best" number and stick with that for testing!

I cannot imagine waking in the night to eat, I'm so tired as it is.

I am annoyed b/c I got a call from the dietitian yesterday (I get a weekly phonecall/message) and she said all this stuff about how great my diet is and my numbers are great, etc, and she wishes all her gd moms would eat like me... but then reminded me to set up my 2x weekly NST and 1x weekly ultrasound size checks starting at 36 weeks. It seems like even keeping my bs almost *perfect* (like usually not over 110 1hr post-meal and below 85 in the mornings) they are still considering me as high risk. Sigh. I am glad I am planning a HB and after my 36 size check and consult with the diabetes physician, I will inform them that I am declining the NSTs, at least before 42 weeks, and if they are really giving me a hard time, I may just drop my co-care then.

I think I'm still not gaining weight. I just don't look nearly as big as I think I should. I wasn't thin to begin with so its not a big worry, but at this point I am feeling weird about it and I hope at least by next week we'll see that I haven't lost any more weight. I ate strawberries with sour cream for my snack last night... actually it was pretty yummy! Trying to add more fat into meals/snacks.

My baby is due late April, but if its a 38-week pregnancy like my first, I'm looking at more like early April... anyway, I asked some friends to go pick up bagels for us the day baby is born and I am looking forward to a nice toasted white-flour bagel with cream cheese, yum! It will be so nice to have this behind me. Though apparently I have found out what "diet" will help me lose the baby weight (if any is left lol) and it doesn't include bagels...

#785 ·
emma- please don't worry about your weight. I still am in th -s and had a BPP which they say shows he weighed 4 and 1/2 lbs. this was at 32 wks.about 3 wks ago. I talk to my MWs about the nonweigth gain every time I go in and they don't worry about it at all. As for the NST and BPPs mine wanted me to do them every week starting at 32 wks! I did the 1st one and put my foot down and said every 2 was enough since I had to come in then anyways. My 1 st ones came back really good so the MW was ok w/that. I actually am not doing NST tests - or haven't had it brought up yet. I don't think I'll do that one either. Can't imagine sitting in there for 2-3 hrs once a week when I have a 4 yo to take care of. Am hoping this lo comes in the next 2-4 wks anyways- CAN'T WAIT TO BE DONE!

#786 ·
fairymom, thanks for the encouragement, I am trying not to worry about weight and realizing that I'm feeling good, eating really healthy food, and staying active, so that is the main thing.

Its also good to hear that other mamas make their own decisions about the fetal monitoring too. The hospital-based folks make it sound all so "routine". I too have a 4yo and I can't imagine how on earth I could fit in all those trips to the hospital- and its not even available at the clinic near my house! (the size check U/S is). Anyway, I just don't want to have all that opportunity for extra worries and stress about how the baby is doing, and all those chances for more pressure to induce, etc.

#787 ·
Emma I haven't gained much either, actually I lost a pound last week on this diet. They aren't concerned at all. As long as your baby is measuring on target I"m sure everything is fine. It is frustrating that they are making you "high risk" even though you are so under control

My appointment went well actually she said she won't be shocked if I'm put on bedtime insulin by the end but b/c of my weight, blood pressure, amazing after meals numbers she is not putting me on it now, I"m so relieved. The Diabetes RN is a really old lady and she's been around the block a time or two. She says these new guidelines are pretty crazy and that my 101-104 is fine. If I start creeping up we'll talk about insulin then. I'm only 30w 4days so that is why she won't be surprised if this happens. It will just be hard to switch care providers and be classified as even more high risk. The midwives are already requiring enough monitoring..... She also said I still need to do the fasting number and check for ketones every day until I go back (2 weeks from now) but that I only need to do the meal numbers 3 days per week since they are so low. I'll have had my ultrasound by then too so we'll have more data. She said keep experimenting with foods and times in the evening and overnight so I will. I did get a 96 this morning so I was encouraged by that.

#788 ·
Amy- to let you know there are other things you can take besides insulin in pg. My counselor didn't know about these (and she's been in the field for a while too- I actually saw her 5 yrs ago w/ds4).

I told my MW about my hesitation in using insulin and the needles and stuff and she had to check w/the Dr in the practice but they all agreed I could use Glyburide instead- its an oral pill. I am on the lowest dose right now (2.5 mg) and could go up if I need to. I wasn't having issues w/fasting numbers.Mine were with after dinner mostly and just one high test a day. Since I've been on the meds (at 30 ish wks) things have been good.

There is some debate as to when you take it- some say am and some say pm- I experimented to see what was best and take it right before lunch and it helps all the way thru the night. So if there is the possibility for you maybe taking it before bed would help w/your fasting numbers.

I guess my suggestion would be to talk to your OB/MW about it- they seem to be a little more up to date on what is available to women in pg- which to me seems right since that is their speciality.

Also to all not gaining weight or lossing think about it this way- less to loose after los born!
: That's what's keeping me going!

#790 ·
Amy, sounds like you had a good appt. and its good your fasting numbers have been lower. Nice that they are "willing" to let you take some time to work things out.

I blew it at dinner time. I spent all day at sea world with my family and our friends (was planning to leave at naptime but ds was just having so much fun and I have literally never taken him to anything remotely like that so I felt bad making him leave!). I didn't bring enough food... and of course there was nothing there I could eat... I think I was just SO hungry by dinnertime that I just ate too much! Anyway a few high readings in a week seem to be okay with the diabetes office I am working with (and its not crazy high, around 150 at one hour).

But other than that slip-up today, it seems like I really am starting to stabilize, blood sugars seem to be pretty darn normal. Not sure if I am just getting used to a diet that works or if my sensitivity has plateaued or is starting to already fall, or maybe its somewhere in between. I've heard that happens around 34 weeks for a lot of people.

#791 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
Amy, sounds like you had a good appt. and its good your fasting numbers have been lower. Nice that they are "willing" to let you take some time to work things out.

I blew it at dinner time. I spent all day at sea world with my family and our friends (was planning to leave at naptime but ds was just having so much fun and I have literally never taken him to anything remotely like that so I felt bad making him leave!). I didn't bring enough food... and of course there was nothing there I could eat... I think I was just SO hungry by dinnertime that I just ate too much! Anyway a few high readings in a week seem to be okay with the diabetes office I am working with (and its not crazy high, around 150 at one hour).

But other than that slip-up today, it seems like I really am starting to stabilize, blood sugars seem to be pretty darn normal. Not sure if I am just getting used to a diet that works or if my sensitivity has plateaued or is starting to already fall, or maybe its somewhere in between. I've heard that happens around 34 weeks for a lot of people.
Glad to hear things are going well! Just think your baby will be here before you know it and it all will be over.

Me: I think I've got this thing figured out for the moment! Someone on another thread suggested drinking lots of water during the night in addition to eating my 2am snack so I have been. I have 2 proteins and 1 carb around 930-10pm with a large glass of water, then around 2-3am I have a handful of almonds and a handful of peanuts and another large glass of water and I've been testing about a 1/2 hour earlier around 630am and the past two days I got 96's and today I got a 92!!! My lowest number yet. Of course I'm not sleeping very much, up every couple of hours to pee or eat but hey I've got to get used to being up in the night anyway
I've also been laying heavy on the cinnamon all day.

#792 ·
Hey everyone. Just diagnosed and had my "Diabetic Training," this past few days. I have learned how to take my blood sugar and check my ketones, no problem. The issue of the diet is another thing. How do you all do it? I'm thinking I will plan meals a week at a time so I don't feel like I'm scrambling all the time. I already have a 2yr old running around so time is precious. It gets very confusing with how many grams equal a carb and servings and time of day and what not to eat when and when to eat this. I am so overwhelmed and discouraged. I know it is not, but since I'm at the very beginning, this just seems so impossible! Can anyone help me learn how to create these meal plans for myself?! Thank you!

#793 ·
For me, I started by just eliminating all sugar/sweet foods and all flour-based foods and grains, and slowly adding things back in in small amounts to see how much I could tolerate and stay under the limits. I've been fortunate that diet control has worked for me.

I took that whole diet plan with a grain of salt, and decided it was as important to test myself after eating and see how foods affected me. I didn't do it all by grams of carbs but instead by servings, figuring out how much of a serving I could handle. Also, I eat as much protein, fat, and veggies as I want. No limits on those. (I know b/c my mom has partially diet-controlled type II diabetes that those things are all pretty much "free" foods as far as blood sugar is concerned. And despite that stuff about "choose low fat versions" I have actually been losing weight for the whole third trimester of my pregnancy so far). For me, grains are pretty much a no-no, partly b/c they have me testing 1-hr post-prandial and I just spike too high even with very modest servings (like, 1/4 c cooked rice is too much...). I really eat almost no grain-based foods and I have a nice fruit for each of my 3 snacks with either nuts, peanut butter, or a couple of ounces of cheese. I started a food/menu idea thread a while back and people have posted recipes and ideas for what works for them. But our bodies are all different so its also something you partly have to figure out.

I also think that the eating 6x per day is helpful- its was WEIRD at first but got easier, and also I just never have that crazy hunger, making it easier to resist things that aren't good for my blood sugar. Make sure you have plenty of nuts and seeds, plenty of fresh crunchy veggies (maybe wash and prep them every couple of days so they are ready to grab and go?), and quick stuff like peanut butter, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. (I'm a vegetarian but if you aren't there are more choices).

Good luck. For me it has gotten easier and my body has really responded to diet changes and increasing my exercise. I am very much looking forward to not being pregnant any more and not having to think about my food all the time, but its no longer totally overwhelming to me either.

#794 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatyKate View Post
Hey everyone. Just diagnosed and had my "Diabetic Training," this past few days. I have learned how to take my blood sugar and check my ketones, no problem. The issue of the diet is another thing. How do you all do it? I'm thinking I will plan meals a week at a time so I don't feel like I'm scrambling all the time. I already have a 2yr old running around so time is precious. It gets very confusing with how many grams equal a carb and servings and time of day and what not to eat when and when to eat this. I am so overwhelmed and discouraged. I know it is not, but since I'm at the very beginning, this just seems so impossible! Can anyone help me learn how to create these meal plans for myself?! Thank you!
I'm about 2 weeks in now since diagnosis so don't have as much experience as some of the ladies but I'll share what is working so far. On this plan I have excellent 2 hr. after meal numbers(well under the 120 limit, mostly 80's and 90's) but am still struggling with a fasting number anywhere between 92-104.
I have completely cut out all sugary stuff as well as white flour, and all juice except one small glass of veggie juice and I do that in the afternoon, not the morning b/c that is my most resistant time. Like Emma I eat as many non-starchy veggies, protein and fat as I want. I'm thin and haven't even gained much so I really need the fat. Everyone is so different with GD so it might take some time to play around with your numbers and figure out when your difficult times of the day are (mine are overnight/early morning). I do 6 meals a day and also a meal in the night around 2-3am. I can only do 15mg of carbs for breakfast with 1-2 proteins, 15-30g carbs with another fat/protein for morning snack, lunch I usually keep the carbs under 45, with protein, fats, veggies, afternoon snack 15g carb with a protein, dinner also around 45g carb, protein, veggies, late evening snack lots of fat, 15g carbs and 2 proteins. Middle of the night I do something high protein like nuts or cottage cheese. I don't do any fruit after the afternoon snack. LOTS of water, around 100oz a day, including a large glass during the night. I exercise every single day, usually a 1/2 hour walk. Hope this helps! It all seems like such a work in progress but you will figure out your body over time. I eat a TON of all natural (no sugar added) peanut butter and almond butter and a ton of cheese. I'm not big on meat so these are my biggest sources of protein.

#795 ·
Thanks guys for your responses. Today is day 3 and I am feeling a little more encouraged. It took me about a day and a half to figure out that I have a little wiggle room. I ate a small handful of baked frech fries last night for dinner with a hamburger pattie and green beans. My sugars were 79. So that kind of helped me realize that everyone is a little different and I'll can figure out what my own limits are and that maybe I can enjoy a small yummy treat every now and then without sending my sugars over the top. So far my numbers have been great so I guess I'll keep up what I've been doing. I too am also very active and fit. I exercise regularly and have always eaten healthy. There is always room for improvement though, right? Thanks again guys, I was lost the other day so I appreciate the support.

#796 ·
Hey all I've been lurking & reading here for quite awhile now, but recently have ran across a problem & I thought I'd see if anyone had advice.

It's my 7th month & suddenly I can barely squish in a hard boiled egg before I feel like I ate Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm finding the last 2-3 days I'm not even clearing 900 calories because if I eat larger amounts I get sick. I am eating 6-7 small snacks(I wouldn't call them meals at all) a day.

Anyone have any ideas on calorie high gd friendly foods?

My ob sucks & never did give me a dietitian referral so I'm stuck for resources atm. My numbers are at an all time low though, only 67 this a.m. so I figured it was time to see if anyone had ideas before the ob office opens & takes 7 hours to call me back.

Tia

~K.

#797 ·
Hmm, my MIL just sent me this article on the filling effects of low GI meals ( http://www.elements4health.com/scien...feel-full.html ).

I know I have a particular problem with eggs, part is that I don't particularly like them and part is that I feel full sometimes before I really am. To get eggs in I find I need to pair them with a lot of other food. Instead of a boiled egg I'll scramble one and cook on top of a bunch of sausage and veggies, then eat it over a piece of toast.

Maybe your body is asking you to add just a *few* more high quality carbs? Some veggies and fruit. Maybe a little whole grain? Sometimes it can feel a little difficult to choke down so much protein without good fats and some low GI carbs.

#798 ·
KarlaC-Are you testing for keytones? I know since hitting the 3rd tri my appitite had been a roller coaster from one day to the next. I believe it goes along w/los growth and position.The farther up he is the less I can eat. The last few days for me he's moved down so i am hungrier.

Avacados- good for you and high in fat and a free food since its a veggie.I used to eat a whole one but can't get it all in now.Adding sauces to your food will also increase cals and may make things a little more appealing- but you have to watch the carbs on these too- like BBq sauce or hollindaise. Make yourself eggs benedict w/just 1 slice of eng muff.

Higher calorie yogurt- carbs and dairy.I like to add a spponful of granola to add texture. Just keep watching carbs when you're experimenting I'd hate to hear your hardly eating but your blood sugars and sky rocketing.

I hope others have ideas for you too. I know my MWs don't have a lot of ideas on what to eat so its taken me talking w/other here and just experimenting on my own.

#799 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
KarlaC-Are you testing for keytones? I know since hitting the 3rd tri my appitite had been a roller coaster from one day to the next. I believe it goes along w/los growth and position.The farther up he is the less I can eat. The last few days for me he's moved down so i am hungrier.

Avacados- good for you and high in fat and a free food since its a veggie.I used to eat a whole one but can't get it all in now.Adding sauces to your food will also increase cals and may make things a little more appealing- but you have to watch the carbs on these too- like BBq sauce or hollindaise. Make yourself eggs benedict w/just 1 slice of eng muff.

Higher calorie yogurt- carbs and dairy.I like to add a spponful of granola to add texture. Just keep watching carbs when you're experimenting I'd hate to hear your hardly eating but your blood sugars and sky rocketing.

I hope others have ideas for you too. I know my MWs don't have a lot of ideas on what to eat so its taken me talking w/other here and just experimenting on my own.
Yes I bought ketone strips right off the bat since the dr never prescribed/recommended them. So far only one trace reading just this a.m. which motivated me to see what I can find out.

I totally forgot about sauces, etc since I've all but cut them out of my diet. Tonight I'll grab some avacados when I hit the store, I've never eaten them since I usually give a portion of most everything I eat with my birds & avacados deadly to them.

Do you eat them plain?

bemommy: Usually I eat my eggs microwaved or scrambled, but the last 2 weeks they've made me sick that way so I've been trying boiled. I usually have a whole grain english muffin with them, fighting the insane heartburn that's returned has just made eating about as much fun as root canals.

Ty for the ideas ladies, I'm feeling so dead tired it's been hard to think straight & I believe a good part of it is my sugar never being over 75 for a few days now.

#800 ·
I like them plain or in a salad. I cutt out sauces too but have gotten a little more lax in what I eat now that I feel more confident with the whole GD thing.

I know the tired/weak feeling when your sugars low, I get that way too. Ask about maybe a small "treat" something sugary but in a carb serving- like when my a really low and I'm feeling sick I'll do a serving of Reese's PB cups (like 5 minis I think). Not too filling but enough sugar to boost sugars back up which actually helps to increase my appitite later. And I like Reese's because they do have PB- protien but a very small amount.If they so ok make sure you check for serving size (15 gms)= 1 carb serving.

#801 ·
I'm doing 7 small meals including my meal in the night. I'm thin so I do a TON of fat. All full fat dairy, natural peanut butter and almond butter, eggs, sausage, bacon, it's crazy the amount of fat I eat in a day and I actually lost a pound of my scant 13lbs last week. I eat small amounts at each meal but what I do eat is full of fat and calories. I make a homemade salad dressing with dijon mustard, olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper (basically it's a free dressing) and I use it on all my salads. Pair a protein with each carb, that helps a lot. I also have 2-3 servings of fruit a day, just pair it with a protein, like an apple cut up slathered in peanut butter. I've had no ketones and feel really good. Make guacamole with the avacadoes and dip veggies in it. I just mash up 2 avacadoes, a clove of garlic, a tomato, a little red onion, some cilantro, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper, yummmy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.