Mothering Forum banner

Any Urban Homesteaders in the SLC, UT area???

15K views 344 replies 28 participants last post by  anjis 
#1 ·
I just found out about this movement and am way excited!!!

My family unknowingly has been living this way to some extent and was wondering in anyone in the SLC area knowns about Urban Homesteading?

I would love to exchange ideas, experiences, and such.

#327 ·
I'm sure my DH would love to show off some homebrewing stuff. We are trying to move the rest of this month, and we just got back from our spring break trip.

Alyssa- DH has a friend near you who wants to rebuild his house to be a green-living house.. did I remember right that you or your DH is an architect or something like that? I still haven't been to your house, hopefully we will make it to one of these again someday!

#329 ·
That's right I am an architect. LizzyQ, feel free to give your friend my contact info. We haven't actually built our "green" home yet, we're still living in a 100 year old farm house and trying to make it as sustainable as possible.

Thanks Deborah! We didn't end up camping but still had a great time! We'll be camping soon I hope!!!! Let's get together soon... I want to share what I've been up to with you!

#330 ·
Utah Urban Homesteaders are going to WHEELER FARM!!!
:

The cost is $2.50 per person, this includes a tour of the farmhouse, the animals, a wagon ride and cow milking. Tentative dates are Wednesday, April 15 OR Wednesday, April 29th from 3-5:30pm (cow milking starts at 5pm)

Please let me know which date is better for you all as well as how many adults & how many kids. We will go based on what works best for most.

We need to pay at least 25% down when they approve our time & date slot.

#332 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplepetal21 View Post
Oh joy...thank you so very much for going on a Wednesday so we can make it. Both dates work for us.

Count 1 adult and 1 child in!!!!!

I can also notify me parents as well if you like?!
Makes no matter. I thought about putting it on the unschoolers list as well. They just would like to know about how many, as they only run groups of about 20-25 through with each guide... so depending, we may have "waves" of tours. We will also have "down time" to just mess around the farm.

#334 ·
Hey All!!!

Last week Alyssa, Julie and I met to talk about creating a bit more structure to our monthly get togethers in that they are getting wonderfully large and it may start to get harder for us to host at each other's houses. Come the warm weather it may be easier but it still could be a bit overwhelming to have 30+ people over.

We also would like to open our group up to include other Urban Homesteaders that do not have families or work during the week. So this is what we came up with... if anyone has additional thoughts please chime in!!

UUH Get Togethers

Dates:

Held the 1st Saturday and 3rd Wednesday of each month
(members will be notified if there is a cancellation)

Time:

2pm - 4:30pm

Locations:

Member's Homes, Wasatch Commons or other venues
(we are looking for places to host our get togethers, if you know of a place that can accomodate our group please talk to Alyssa aka delfuego)

Rhythm:
Mingling, Hellos & Welcomes
Children will then be rounded up and offered an activity or
will play freely (with adult supervison) while the presentation is underway**.
Presentation
Social Hour

**If you are interested or willing to watch the children while the other adults learn learn learn, please let me know or I have created a childcare database at our yahoo group and you can sign up there.

#335 ·
Hi All!

So the first Saturday of the month would put us at tomorrow for a get-together. I haven't gotten a location scheduled yet so if it's okay with everyone we'll just skip that one and plan on meeting on Wednesday April 15.

Julie L. - that was one of the dates we had scheduled for Wheeler Farm. Should we call that our get together or should we do the Wheeler Farm thing on the 29th? What does everyone think?

I'll cross post on the yahoo group too.

Thanks!

#338 ·
Quote:

Amen on all fronts
:

Hey Joy- are you still doing your Friday playgroup?
We're trying! We didn't last week because it was too cold to do a park and no one was able to host. We'll see how it goes this week
The yahoo group for anyone interested is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SaltLakeAP_NFLPlaygroup/

The East side homeschoolers are starting to have park days every other Friday afternoon too:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EastSi...guid=261920562

It was chilly last time, but there was a good turnout.

#339 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sages View Post
HI all!
I was just lurking through and noticed a topic on home brewing! Have you done this yet? My previous employer is actually the owner of the beer nut (home brewing supply store) I could probably set up some sort of brewing class. mmmmmmmm. beer.

Really!? That's awesome! I don't think *we* need a class, but i know DH would probably love to participate in some homebrewing. All of his supplies are at his friend's near Alyssa's.

#340 ·
Sage-
I know my DH would love a brewing class....and I would love for him to take one

I also have a few more friends that brew who I know would love to take a class as well. If for nothing else but to brag about their beers.

Thank you for the suggestion/offer!!!!
Jennifer

#341 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Really!? That's awesome! I don't think *we* need a class, but i know DH would probably love to participate in some homebrewing. All of his supplies are at his friend's near Alyssa's.
OH! Well, I know nothing about home brewing, but if you all know what to do, I'd rather just learn hands on! Making my mouth water just thinking about it!

#342 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sages View Post
OH! Well, I know nothing about home brewing, but if you all know what to do, I'd rather just learn hands on! Making my mouth water just thinking about it!

It would be interesting to see what everyone does differently with homebrewing. DH has been really into pure grain brewing (as opposed to the kits) lately... another friend's DH is working on a gluten free beer for her, because she has celiacs.

#343 ·
Quote:

Sage-
I know my DH would love a brewing class....and I would love for him to take one

I also have a few more friends that brew who I know would love to take a class as well. If for nothing else but to brag about their beers.

Thank you for the suggestion/offer!!!!
Jennifer
I will try to call him today to see what we can set up. He is a busy guy, so it might take a few days to hear back from him!

#345 ·
We have chickens, and used to have meat rabbits. Goats can also give milk and pygmy goats are small enough to keep as pets in the city. You can also keep bees in the backyard, even in a fairly small space if you do it right. These along with a nice garden, square foot style, can make a city dweller pretty self sufficient
Come check out my raw milk page on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Mi...9654556?ref=mf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.