Mothering Forum banner

Pregnant Vegans ~ Spring & Summer Thread!

19K views 571 replies 36 participants last post by  Ianthe 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks for starting this thread...

I've had a crazy week and work and honestly have felt really overwhelmed. I am really excited for the end of the semester to come. That said I am teaching an online summer class, and hopefully I'll finish up before the babe comes

Anyone other working mamas ready to stop!? I'm very fortunate to have maternity leave... but, boy, am I ready for it to start soon!

I'm almost 26 weeks and still vomiting at least every other day. And that's with zofran, too. Anyone else still suffering?

Because of that I eat what I can. I can though stomach lots of green leafy veggies and I have major cravings for melon and berries... aha, also I have some craving for chocolate. I ate a tiny bit of non-vegan chocolate today. Eek.

When is everyone due? I know that a few of us here are in the July expecting club. I'm due the 16th.

Zubee

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
When is everyone due? I know that a few of us here are in the July expecting club. I'm due the 16th.

Officially my EDD is June 30th, and I think I'll be having a July baby

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
Hey pregnant vegans!!! I'm 18 weeks, due beginning of September. Just now getting into the enjoying of food again
Made some really yummy mujadarrah tonight. Yum, yum!
Yum!!! The first tri is the worst when you can't enjoy your food!

#11 ·
Hooray for Spring time! (Now if only I could get it to come here!)
:

I just entered my 2nd tri!
: but still feeling icky to the max. Oh well... it will end when it ends :0)

My appetite has increased, but my nausea has not subsided, so, I'm still limited on what foods I can handle eating. BORING!
I have been making lots of muffins of all flavors... it's something that doesn't stink up the house with overpowering odors and they are easy to munch on throughout the day (And night!). SO LOOKING forward to eating normal food again. I miss salads and kale, etc, which I haven't been able to handle since around 5 weeks. It's sad. I have started to add Chlorella to my juice. Supposed to be 65% assimilable protein, B vits, plus the 'green' which is what I'm missing (Full of good stuff for the bod and the babe)...

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
ooooh....what is mujadarrah? It sounds indian and yummy!
It's middle eastern.. lentils, caramelized onions and spices.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
ooooh....what is mujadarrah? It sounds indian and yummy!
I just made the really simple kind...lentils, white rice, onion (pretty much pan fried in olive oil) and salt and lots of pepper. i bet cumin would be good in it, too!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
i think just cumin.. here is a recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...DARRAH-1209702
My husband is Lebanese, and Lebanon is the homeland of Mujadarrah. Anyway, there are so many regional variations in how to make Mujadarrah even within the tiny country of Lebanon. Some people use cumin and allspice, in various proportions, some just use cumin. Some people use more lentils or more rice. Some people like it drier than others. Some people put fried onions on top, others don't.

Traditionally, mujadarrah is served with a simple cabbage salad consisting of chopped cabbage dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt.

I think it's a dish popular with Lebanese Christians during Lent. But everyone loves mujadarrah.

#20 ·
Yum, that recipe is almost identical to mine except I use curry powder instead of cumin and I slice the onions into rings before I carmelize them. Also, I use red lentils. And I chop up some fresh cilantro for garnish and serve with brown basmati rice and mango chutney.

In fact, I was craving it so much after that post that is what I made for dinner last night.

And now I want more.

#21 ·
I'm finally feeling more normal, and super busy trying to catch up!

This weekend we are doing lots of easter celebrations (non-religious).. there is going to be a vegan kids [no] easter egg hunt and potluck on Sat, then Sun we are doing a veggie BBQ and I'm going to make cupcakes and decorate them with organic jelly beans

What are your plans?

#22 ·
we are spending time with husband's family and I'm making the carrot cake from Vegan with a Vengeance

I'm definitely one of those vegans who has NOO problem keeping weight on/putting on weight while pregnant. I'm embarrassed to say I've already gained 13 pounds and I'm only 16 weeks pregnant! Also I was already UP 20 befooore I got pregnant this time (I didn't lose the 20 pounds from the twins' birth), soooooo I'm trying to calm down with my cravings and try and eat more balanced and not snack all day

#23 ·
Hi All!

Well, I found out yesterday that the baby is punching my bladder with his little hand (I didn't know what he was using to cause near enuresis, but now I know). I think I'm going to have to stop looking at the calendar, because I'm getting really anxious about going post-dates this time. I know it won't be like the last time since I know more and have far better prenatal care (with homebirth mws) this time, but I'm nervous just the same.

Sky My DH makes excellent mujadurrah--he even made kind of a mix one time and we made it while we were camping.

Veganmama You're making me crave Indian food--I may need to hit the local lunch buffet soon!

The only thing I have planned for this weekend is to spend time with my family (MIL's coming in tonight), and take DS to the easter egg hunt at our neighborhood park.

Have a great Thursday, ladies!

#24 ·
Hey mamas!

Excited to join back in here after an extended hiatus to deal with midwife issues. Boy was that a chore! But we've found someone new that we love and our homebirth plan is set.
:

I'm 23 weeks and feeling pretty great - thankfully! I've finally gotten myself back into a gym/yoga routine and it feels really good. I haven't been too creative in the kitchen, but am managing to get in all the essential nutrients.

This weekend we have a lot of religious obligations - most of which I'm happy about. Sunday we'll be at my parent's house where we'll be bringing our own food as they are serving lamb.
There's a little authentic Italian grocery near us that surprisingly sells fresh, homemade vegan ravioli in three different varieties. I think I'm going to make those with some marinara for DH and I. We'll probably just stop by Whole Foods to pick up some kind of dessert. I had bought a box of vegan chocolates from Pangea to bring to my mom for Easter Sunday... but I ate them all already... whoops!
:

LizzyQ: I'd love to hear more about your "vegan kids no Easter egg hunt". DH and I have been wondering what we're gonna do for our little one when she's old enough to be interested in Easter eggs, bunny etc...

Have a great day everyone!!

#25 ·
heya,
i'm excited that my appetites starting to go back to normal-I'm around 15+weeks. And sadly, I had a bad run in with a lentils and rice dish I made during the first trimester-no idea why it grossed me out the way it did-but now I can no longer eat lentils or rice or use the rice cooker I used when i made it. So bazaar and sad as I had always used those as staples. I might be slowly coming around the corner as I was craving ethiopian food the other day and as long as I didn't think of it as lentils and it didn't have the shape of them, it went down without a hitch. It's really hard to tell my mind 'don't think the word lentils!'

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma107 View Post

LizzyQ: I'd love to hear more about your "vegan kids no Easter egg hunt". DH and I have been wondering what we're gonna do for our little one when she's old enough to be interested in Easter eggs, bunny etc...

Have a great day everyone!!

i will.. it's on Sat, and it's suppose to rain, so hopefully it will be OK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by megame View Post
heya,
i'm excited that my appetites starting to go back to normal-I'm around 15+weeks. And sadly, I had a bad run in with a lentils and rice dish I made during the first trimester-no idea why it grossed me out the way it did-but now I can no longer eat lentils or rice or use the rice cooker I used when i made it. So bazaar and sad as I had always used those as staples. I might be slowly coming around the corner as I was craving ethiopian food the other day and as long as I didn't think of it as lentils and it didn't have the shape of them, it went down without a hitch. It's really hard to tell my mind 'don't think the word lentils!'
I was like that with my last pregnancy with tomatoes
I totally understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.