Mothering Forum banner

things on Freecycle you did a double take on

12K views 139 replies 75 participants last post by  serenekitten 
#1 ·
Sometimes I read these and think- wow would people be lining up to get this item???

Only a few years old. Purchase price $1300. Its my friends couch who is moving far away and doesn't have the room for it in the new place. Its 2pcs with ottoman.

HOWEVER, it has dog pee stains at the bottom of the couch. And 1 laundry detergent stain on the top of it. She's tried to scrub clean. She thinks if you professionally clean it it should be fine but never did so because her dogs would pee on it again. Also, she is a smoker. She has moved most of her stuff out and needs this out by tonight or tomorrow afternoon NO LATER. So, if you are serious about this and you have the capability to get it out by tonight or tomorrow afternoon and are ok with a pee stained and smoked on couch...email me...if not please don't waste my time.

Share yours!

#77 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
Our local Craig's list had a man looking for a partner to do time travel with him. Said his grandfather had invented the machine and it worked. He wanted to go back to a certain battle in US history dressed as a soldier (I can't remember which one) and said that he couldn't guarantee safe return.

Yes. I'm dead serious.

#78 ·
the stuff i have given away on freecycle would rivel any of this.

very old tv, like from the 50"s with the wooden box tv were built in. does not work and due to vacuum tubes cannot be taken apart.

weird medical lamps, dangerous if used incorrectly.

you wouldnt believe what ppl will take. i have been freecycling everything for a couple of years now and the stuff i have given awya would blow your minds.

#80 ·
I once posted on my craigslist offering a free couch that had been markered on, my kids had tagged it w/ their names, dirty, kid stained, 12 yrs old, etc. I actually had a taker who cleaned it up and LOVED it! Dh and I delivered it while she was at work and she managed to get it into her apartment (we were having the darndest time!) I gave the matching, though untagged, loveseat to my therapist who had it cleaned and it looks great!

People will take it if they need it. I was very honest about the condition of the couch and was honestly surprised I had a taker. lol

#81 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Just posted:

OFFER: ONE box Zatarains jambalaya w/ cheese

Only one box. Went to make it tonight and realized it was with cheese, not
plain.
a friend of mine does that all the time. Her and another friend have major allergies at their house with food. So they buy different things, whether food or soaps etc and if it dosent work they freecycle. I can always tell when either of them are "experimenting" with different types of foods or cleaners by their free to take on our yahoo local moms group or freecycle.

#82 ·
We offered our old computer monitor on freecycle once. The guy who was supposed to come pick it up emailed us to make sure it was flat screen and at least so many inches, and we said no. We never said it was flat screen. We specified what it was, and he got mad at us that it wasn't a big flat screen monitor!

#84 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
We offered our old computer monitor on freecycle once. The guy who was supposed to come pick it up emailed us to make sure it was flat screen and at least so many inches, and we said no. We never said it was flat screen. We specified what it was, and he got mad at us that it wasn't a big flat screen monitor!
as if you're a pc boutique or something. Some one posted about needing a rocking chair. I offered ours up since I was going to post it anyhow sooner than later. She wrote back was it this specific type etc. I said no and she said well maybe she could drop by this week to look at it to see if its what she wants and consider it. HUH?? We ROFL over that one.

#85 ·
I will soon be listing old aluminum patio furniture . . . needs paint, slightly mildewed vinyl strapping, faded pillows with faded homemade outdoor canvas slipcovers, and a glass table.
Some fittings slightly rusty, but the winner takes all--even if they just want to take it apart and sell it at the salvage yard.

It's not *that* crappy, it's just well-used. My parents bought it when I was a schoolgirl and it's been on my (uncovered) deck for the last four years. It's solid, just a bit ugly.

This is a college town, it'll go fast.

That said, I fully expect someone to list "crappy a$$ lawn furniture" in here in a week or two.
:

#88 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
Saw this today on our local craigslist--------

WANTED A NUDE HOUSE CLEANER

PLEASE SEND PIC AND PRICE PER HOUR. THANKS
oh i hope we live in the same area, id hate to think there are more of them.

i put an add on craigslist that i would be willing to watch children and or clean house for someone, and the only reply i got was from a guy who wanted me to clean his house naked. when i didnt reply he tried to pretend he was kidding 0.0

#90 ·
I had a lady pick up a bedframe from Craigslist. I took a picture AND e-mailed her the measurements. She was sure it would fit in her car. She couldn't get it in her car no matter how hard she tried. I was supposed to pick my DD up from gymnastics and she was dorking around with the damn bed frame for.ev.er.

Finally, my neighbor took pity on her and came over to help. He put a box underneath the frame, then helped her tie it to the roof of her car.

I was so late!! I will never do that again for $60. She was a complete nut.

#91 ·
Someone offered a thong. The poster claimed that it was never worn, and the proof that was offered was that it was still on a hanger.

I know that some underwear are sold on hangers, but not many. I still don't see how the thongs still being on their original hanger is any proof that they were never worn. Besides, I would rather go without than to get underwear from freecycle.

#92 ·
i hate how when you buy a corset or something like that you always get a free matching thong. im so not into butt-floss but its so hard to get rid of them because no one believes i wasnt wearing them.

and on a matching note i had a thong wearing friend of mine gain alot of weight and give me her old clothes. i thought that was awesome. but...she also gave me all her old undies too! 0.0

and even stranger, i was having a yardsale and got to talking to a lady who was buying some of my old vinyl pants(yay!) and when she hears about my large bag of 'slightly used' lingerie including thongs she was quite excited and bought them all from me! i was going to just give them to her but she demanded upon paying!

: people are strange

#93 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Just posted:

OFFER: ONE box Zatarains jambalaya w/ cheese

Only one box. Went to make it tonight and realized it was with cheese, not
plain.

OH MY GOSH I'm laughing so hard I'm crying I've been reading thru all of these and this was just put me over the top!

Thank you soooo much ladies I've been needing a good laugh!

#95 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
1/2 box of cheese balls. just posted.

Cheese balls?! OMG, I love cheese balls. My grandma used to have them all the time in her cabinet. It was such a TREAT if they came out of the cupboard!

#96 ·
I wanted to include a link to the 'free room' on the craigslist in my area, but it was flagged. The post was in the free section, and it said 'free room.' Once the link was opened, the pictures were of a bed, a closet, and a mattress... the poster stated his search was actually for a mistress, and pets were allowed.

All that I could say was 'wow,' and that is way too creepy...

#98 ·
On Craigslist there was a listing that said in the title,

"Childcare - CHEEP!!! For Summer!"

Um... I'm sorry, but if you can't spell the word CHEAP, you can't watch my child. Am I alone in this thinking?

Another:

"I Need $1,200 tell June 5, 2009, I do have Collateral.
I do not qualify for a regular loan. "

Sure, buddy! I'd like $1,200 too, but I don't think Craigslist is going to work for you.

#99 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
Not on Freecycle but Kijiji (which I think is like Craigslist) a woman posted an ad asking for a free car or van - goes on to say she wants a newer model that is e-tested & certified. She also wants prepaid insurance and a prepaid gas card. THEN goes on to say she's a new driver and is prone to accidents so the insurance should include collision and a mechanic who will do free repairs would come in handy.

My local list is moderated, so that would never get by.

#100 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by filiadeluna View Post
On Craigslist there was a listing that said in the title,

"Childcare - CHEEP!!! For Summer!"

Um... I'm sorry, but if you can't spell the word CHEAP, you can't watch my child. Am I alone in this thinking?

No no, they mean they have watch hens. Or maybe they want to babysit chicks.

#101 ·
This thread inspired me to check out my Freecycle list. I saw someone asking for a jogger stroller, so I offered mine. I also saw an offer made yesterday:
I have 100 wedding favors that I put together for a wedding that was canceled.
They are pillow boxes with butterflies glued on them full of candy.

OK, in the free is not cheap enough category: I have a black diaper bag for free. It has been used for 2 kids and it shows
some signs of wear. I recently spilled some orange juice in it and, eventhough I
cleaned it with Lysol, it still has a slight smell to it. Let me know if you
want it. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.