Mothering Forum banner

Sugar free in 09

7K views 197 replies 42 participants last post by  lactivistmama 
#1 ·
Is there already a thread going around for quitting sugar? I can't find one and I need support. I've tried before, but I'm serious this time. Sugar is not the friend that I once thought it was. I have been in denial about my addiction. It's the root of many problems for me. I have a really hard time losing weight. I have lots of candida symptoms. My brain in constantly in a fog.

I cut way down yesterday. I'm only going to have one sugar item today. Then, nothing. I figure if I can live without ever seeing my mom again in physical form, then I can live without sugar. It will be like a relative that has passed on or a broken relationship. I still have fond memories of that person, but the relationship just didn't work out.

I found a good free ebook on tips for quitting sugar. It's at http://www.firstourselves.com/. It has the best tips I've read. She really hits it from all angles. I'm just finishing up the last 20 pages.

#180 ·
I'm going to join you! I'm a bit late on the bandwagon, but I NEED to do this.

My eating sugar has gotten out of control. I ate frosting from the JAR today. Like 1/2 a a jar!! Its nuts. Anyway, I probably won't start fully until next week, after Easter since we are having friends over and they are bringing the dessert. But I'm going to at least start slowly this week and then cut out all sugars except fruits and natural sweetners (honey and maple syrup, etc in small amounts, only occassionally.)

We'll see where that gets me. But I definitely need support and accountability in this.

#181 ·
Good luck on starting out! I'm still eating some sugar. Mostly natural. I don't feel out of control, at least. My birthday and Easter are this weekend, so I'm not going to quit again until after Easter. So, I'll be with you guys then. It's hard to start, but gets easier really fast.

#182 ·
Still wading through the thread, but would love to join you.
I'm reading The Sugar Blues right now and have found it pretty informative from a political, historical, and nutrional point of view. It has me convinced that what we have done with my kiddo (very little processed food in her diet to this point) was the right decision.
That said, I know she must be getting a bit of a sugar fix from mama's milk, and now that we've reached two, "do as I say not as I do" is not something I want to model for her.
Anyhow, subbing and will post more later.

#184 ·
I'm back! I am 10.3 weeks prego and have let myself eat more sugar and carbs since becoming prego as the cravings were so bad. I have just been eating natural sugar for the most part, trying to do whole grains- however it still doesn't work for me. I know there are people probably think I am trying to diet while prego but it is so not the case. I wanted to let myself home some of these things- the problem is I feel so terrible. I thought it was just pregnancy tiredness but now I am wondering. So- I have to go back off because I cannot function right now and hope that gets me closer to the land of the living. The other big problem is the cravings and aversions are so heavy w/ pregnancy.

#186 ·
I am so impressed that you all can do this. I have completely feel off the wagon and cannot even last one week, let alone 21 days! I have been eating so horribly lately especially when it comes to sugar. I need to start over and try this again.

Question for anyone? I have been experience tons of anxiety lately. Can my sugar habits be contributing to this? Anyone notice any differences in their mood, anxiety or anything like that?

#187 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
I am so impressed that you all can do this. I have completely feel off the wagon and cannot even last one week, let alone 21 days! I have been eating so horribly lately especially when it comes to sugar. I need to start over and try this again.

Question for anyone? I have been experience tons of anxiety lately. Can my sugar habits be contributing to this? Anyone notice any differences in their mood, anxiety or anything like that?
I've not noticed that sugar causes my anxiety. It's usually the other way around for me. My anxiety makes me want sugar or food in general. I was just in a car accident and my diet has fallen way off plan. I'm still not going crazy with the sugar, but I'm having trouble getting back to the routine of keeping track of what I'm eating.

#189 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
Wendyland, sorry to hear about your car accident. I hope everyone is okay.
It was just my 2 year old and me in the car, thankfully. She doesn't seem to have any issues. We have a follow up at the doctor tomorrow. I have whiplash and some back and neck problem, but I think it will heal fast.

A car in oncoming traffic veered into my lane (completely veered!). I had to swerve to her lane to avoid a head on and she hit me on the side and we almost flipped. She told the police that she thought someone was to her right coming over. Now she's telling the insurance company that my story is not true. I have 4 witnesses and she got a ticket for reckless driving. I think they'll find out as soon as they get the police report that she's lying.

#190 ·
Wendy- so sorry about the accident! I hope it gets resolved quickly.

I totally have anxiety and anger and brain fog w/ sugar. I am not a well woman on sugar.

#191 ·
Oh boy, this is the thread for me! I told DH that I'm cutting out the sugar and he got a wide eyed look
I am a sugar addict and I really need to get it out of my life. I still have candy from Easter lurking about and 1.5 weeks ago was my 5yo's bday, so of course I was snacking like crazy on the leftover cake.

I recently needed to cut milk out of my diet b/c DD2 seems sensitive to it, and I've been feeling really good, to my surprise. Now I need to move on to the sugar.

What are the feelings on sucanat and rapadura? If I need "sugar" in a recipe, this is what I use, but I also cut the sugar quite a bit already. We do use honey and maple syrup, but sparingly.

I find that I have the mood swings and brain fog when my sugar intake is up, so I definitely need to fix this problem.

#193 ·
lactivist mama - I haven't even heard of that book. Let us know if you like it.

FillingMyQuiver - Welcome! The group hasn't been so active in awhile. I keep thinking about quitting again and just haven't been able to make the leap yet. I need to quit. My brain has been so foggy lately. I'm sure part of it is my quality of sleep. I don't know much about rapadura or sucanant.

#194 ·
Oh, I am so excited to find this here!! I haven't even read past the first post, and my laptop battery is yelling at me, so it will have to wait. But, I will be back, its so great to see I am not alone here. I have such sugar addiction problems, and have been wanting to quit for months, but haven't. I will be back tomorrow to read through so I can make an intelligent contribution to the discussion
but I just had to post, I am so excited!
:

#195 ·
Well, I've been doing pretty good. I'm keeping a food journal so I can see where the sugar/ carbs are coming from and it's helpful. I slipped a little yesterday b/c we had a stressful day and I wasn't home, but it was only a Quaker Oats granola bar, and a glass of Sprite. Other than that, I'm doing pretty well and I'm not feeling too many w/drawal symptoms.

#196 ·
OK, i was with you guys in february for about 3 weeks, then i fell off the wagon. Tried a few times to go back, but kept having trouble. I'm set to start again tomorrow. I really want to stick with it this time!! What do you guys do when the cravings hit?? Especially at night!!

#197 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth2008 View Post
OK, i was with you guys in february for about 3 weeks, then i fell off the wagon. Tried a few times to go back, but kept having trouble. I'm set to start again tomorrow. I really want to stick with it this time!! What do you guys do when the cravings hit?? Especially at night!!
When the cravings hit, I eat sugar. At least that's what I've been doing lately. You'd think I was trying to give up drinking water or something that's needed. I didn't have any all day today, but made a blackberry cobbler tonight.

My cravings are right after I eat lunch or dinner. It helped me to have non-sugar treats in the house. I like Fage yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon. Blueberries are pretty low in sugar. Or some protein.

I'm going to start again, too and mean it this time. I'm having major issues with candida and want to cleaning my body out. Especially while I'm trying to heal from my accident.

#198 ·
It has been a while since anyone posted here.. so I am bumping it back up.
I have done really well at eliminating sugars etc at our house.. We are still eating "natural" sugars like fruit, honey etc .. But our other sugara are about gone!! (well my dh has a stash otherwise I would be able to say it is gone) I did buy the book Little Sugar Addicts. I have been crazy busy though so I haven't even gotten past chapter 1
How is everyone doing?? I really need some good no sugar recipes for the kids snacks. Anyone have any?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.