Mothering Forum banner

Do you 'Sanitize' Your Hands?

• Hands, face, tummy, feet.. whatever we can get it on!

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • never ::running away::

Votes: 93 34.3%
  • only on occasion- sometimes we need it

Votes: 152 56.1%
  • the obligatory 'other'

Votes: 19 7.0%

Poll: Hand Sanitizer (spinoff)

4K views 108 replies 95 participants last post by  Jen_in_NH 
#1 ·
Another thread got me thinking.. Do you/your kids use hand sanitizer? Why or why not?

We absolutely do not. I nearly freak if someone tries to put it on the kids ('they' got my 8 yr old once). I've even gone so far with it as to tell her teachers not to give it to her but rather send her to the bathroom if she really needs to wash.

My issues with it have to do with the good/bad germ killing, the aweful smell that most have and that we don't know how animal-friendly most kinds are (we don't use products tested on animals).

Am I in the wrong with this? 'Cause in the other thread, a lot of mamas were recommending it.. I thought *not* using it was the natural living norm

Thanks!

See less See more
#77 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Actually that is misinformation. The use of alcohol based sanitizers doesn't cause resitant bacteria or MRSA. They don't contribute to antibiotic resistance at all. .
I'd like to point out that antibiotic resistance isn't the only concern here.

Of course hand sanitizers don't contribute to antibiotic resistance, antibiotics aren't at play here. What the sanitizers DO do is help the strongest, nastiest bacteria and viruses proliferate.

Yes, the sanitizers kill off MOST bacteria, but not all - and the bacteria they leave behind is usually the strongest, nastiest stuff (the bacteria that are able to withstand the alcohol). With no competition, the left behind bacteria has access to all the little bacteria resources, almost without limits, and is able to thrive and proliferate, where once they would have been kept in check by all the competition. This is ecology 101.

THIS is what most people are talking about when they bring up the "super bug" issue as it relates to sanitizers.

I agree with earlier posters - I don't use them because I'm not fearful, they basically pointless, and in many ways counter-productive.

#78 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BtotheG View Post
I'd like to point out that antibiotic resistance isn't the only concern here.

Of course hand sanitizers don't contribute to antibiotic resistance, antibiotics aren't at play here. What the sanitizers DO do is help the strongest, nastiest bacteria and viruses proliferate.

Yes, the sanitizers kill off MOST bacteria, but not all - and the bacteria they leave behind is usually the strongest, nastiest stuff (the bacteria that are able to withstand the alcohol). With no competition, the left behind bacteria has access to all the little bacteria resources, almost without limits, and is able to thrive and proliferate, where once they would have been kept in check by all the competition. This is ecology 101.

THIS is what most people are talking about when they bring up the "super bug" issue as it relates to sanitizers.

I agree with earlier posters - I don't use them because I'm not fearful, they basically pointless, and in many ways counter-productive.
:

#79 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
But otherwise, no. I firmly believe in hand-washing, but think that in non-exceptional circumstances, sanitizer is overkill.

This. We hand wash. There is no need for hand sanitzer. Plus, it's loaded with alcohol. No way do I want that on my and the kid's skin .

#80 ·
Quote:

Actually that is misinformation. The use of alcohol based sanitizers doesn't cause resitant bacteria or MRSA. They don't contribute to antibiotic resistance at all. http://www.tastelife.com/health/inst...sanitizer.aspx
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hand-...ion-10882.html

And in fact they kill MRSA which is why they are used in health care and hospital settings. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=94761 http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com.../361feat4.html

I'm speaking only about alcohol based hand gels not chemical ones. And they don't kill things like c. diff nor do they wash dirt off hands. So washing with soap and water is still better. But not always practical. Most public restrooms now have antibacterial soap which does have possible issues. Ick. I still prefer soap and water but hate that the bad stuff is all I see now.
I used to use a triclosan one. That's all I meant.

#81 ·
Quote:

Actually that is misinformation. The use of alcohol based sanitizers doesn't cause resitant bacteria or MRSA. They don't contribute to antibiotic resistance at all. http://www.tastelife.com/health/inst...sanitizer.aspx
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hand-...ion-10882.html

And in fact they kill MRSA which is why they are used in health care and hospital settings. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=94761 http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com.../361feat4.html

I'm speaking only about alcohol based hand gels not chemical ones. And they don't kill things like c. diff nor do they wash dirt off hands. So washing with soap and water is still better. But not always practical. Most public restrooms now have antibacterial soap which does have possible issues. Ick. I still prefer soap and water but hate that the bad stuff is all I see now.

A toddler would have to drink a minimum of 1 to 2 ounces to have ill effects. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp So they aren't going to have harm from licking it off their hands after using it. But it's good to be aware that you don't want a small child drinking it so keep it up and away from young kids.

1oz of sanitizer has the equivalent amount of alcohol as 2 shots of vodka. That's a lot.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/pagi...ks-please.html

#82 ·
We're not generally afraid of germs here, but I also don't hesitate to use the sanitizer if I feel it's warranted. We're not in situations very often where I feel the need to use it, and usually I only break it out if we're somewhere pretty nasty. However, last year when I had pneumonia as well as who knows what, I was wiping my hands down regularly as well as my phone, keyboard, etc. - not just for my sake but so the next sap that picked it up wasn't exposed to my ickyness. If one of us is pretty sick or getting sick over and over then I'll kick in and start using it for a couple weeks to get past that. Honestly there are so many other things that concern me health wise with the environment, etc., that hand sanitizer is barely a blip on the radar for me.

#83 ·
Yes, we use the alcohol-based kind quite a bit. DD has asthma and can get very sick from a "little" cold. We often put it on as soon as we leave a crowded public place.

I used to be OH BLEAH NO SANITIZER FOR ME I AM NO GERMAPHOBE WUSSYPANTS but that all changes mighty fast when your child can get terribly sick so easily.

Good posts by sbgrace here.

#85 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by birdie22 View Post
I don't use antibacterial stuff with triclosan, but I have an alcohol hand sanitizer in my bag for emergencies (portapotties, when I blow a sick kid's nose in public, etc.) I'm normally a plain soap-and-water gal.
Pretty much this. I have no problem with alcohol products, and we use hand sanitizer very rarely.

ETA: I recently learned that the flu virus thrives in alcohol. So I don't use hand sanitizers to ward off the flu, since it won't work.

#86 ·
Occasionally, when there's no access to running water and I've just used the bathroom or I'm going to eat.

In Morocco last summer, hand sanitizer was like gold, and I traveled with a bottle in my bag, right next to my roll of toilet paper. Most of the places I went had tp and sinks, but sometimes squat toilets were the only thing around...

dar

#87 ·
ifter taking a facinating microbiology class this term, i have a new opinion of the stuff. for one, i now know that it actually does work, whereas before i thought it was a scam. i also now feel more frightened of all the little germies out there. we did a really neat expirament where we swabbed e.coli, staph, and strep on pitri dishes, then put little cotton disks on there wit our favorite cleaners on there. the idea is that if the cleaner actually kills those germs (which make up most of our common household germs) there will be a zone around the dist where the bacteria could not grow. the purell stuff did well, as did vinegar and water, followed by grapefruit seed extract mixed with water, and then some essential oils which did almost nothing. anyways, i wash my hands more often, and keep reminding myself to get some purell since he swine flu is in my area but i havent done it yet. And as a side note, soap~ plain old hand soap~ does not kill bacteria at all. it does help it release from your skin so you can rinse it down the drain but it kills no germs.

#88 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by koalove View Post
ifter taking a facinating microbiology class this term, i have a new opinion of the stuff. for one, i now know that it actually does work, whereas before i thought it was a scam. i also now feel more frightened of all the little germies out there. we did a really neat expirament where we swabbed e.coli, staph, and strep on pitri dishes, then put little cotton disks on there wit our favorite cleaners on there. the idea is that if the cleaner actually kills those germs (which make up most of our common household germs) there will be a zone around the dist where the bacteria could not grow. the purell stuff did well, as did vinegar and water, followed by grapefruit seed extract mixed with water, and then some essential oils which did almost nothing. anyways, i wash my hands more often, and keep reminding myself to get some purell since he swine flu is in my area but i havent done it yet. And as a side note, soap~ plain old hand soap~ does not kill bacteria at all. it does help it release from your skin so you can rinse it down the drain but it kills no germs.

I took a micro class a few semesters ago, but our professor was more or less like.. why use them?

Say you have a colony of 10,000,000 germs. You kill 99.99 % of them with lysol. That's still...100,000 healthy germs alive and kicking. Most germs double within a few hours. 100,000...200,000...400,000...800,000...1,600,000. ..3,200,000...6,400,000...12,800,000....
within a few hours. He didn't bother with things like Lysol. Lol. Unless it was a terribly messy gross mess. And the germs that grow in soap dispensers was a gross topic as well, lol.

#90 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinsTwicePlusTwo View Post
I don't use it. Most diseases like colds and the flu are airborne anyway, meaning you can wash your hands until they're raw and it won't keep you from getting sick (I'm really, really not following how people think washing their hands will keep them from getting the flu
).
those particular viruses ARE spread through respritory routes, its true, but those words can be misleading. if i have the flu, and i cough into my hand, then open a door with that hand, the virus now lives on that door handle. you come in and open the door, and with that same hand, you eat something, bite your nails, pick a little booger out of your nose, rub your eye, etc, the virus in now in your body. its not just inhaled into your lungs. typically, your body will be able to fight off the virus because you might have been exposed to it before and our bdy will quickly fight it. but if it is the flu, which changes every year, or the rhinovirus (a cold) which also mutates like theres no tomorrow, your body will have to work hard to fight it off, and if you are at all immune comprimised (pregnancy, cancer, infant, elderly etc.) you will likely get sick. so, long story short, handwashing is one of the very best ways to prevent the spread of illness.

#91 ·
Quote:
ETA: I recently learned that the flu virus thrives in alcohol. So I don't use hand sanitizers to ward off the flu, since it won't work.
It seems to be working for us...

DD and I are extremely sick. My older kids and DH are fine. This is the first time two of us have had the flu and the others did not get it... it's also happens to be the first time I've used hand sanitizer and lysol.

#92 ·
i voted only on occaision but thats just for the kids....mainly if we run into something gross with no soap and water handy but i use it alot at work.... i work in a pharmacy and sanitize anytime i deal with somebody who's getting antibiotics and/or is super coughy and sneezy especially if they're getting tamiflu or similar

#94 ·
I carry some with me when we go to an interactive zoo (where the children get to pet/feed all the animals). There are a lot of hand washing stations there, but in a couple places there are none and I'd rather use a tiny squirt of the nasty hand sanitizer before my kids put their hands in their mouths.

#95 ·
All the time. I have a weakened immune system (no spleen) so hand sanitizer has become my friend. I've been known to use it several times in one minute...using it right after touching a menu at a restaurant and a few minutes later when I have to touch the ketchup bottle.

#96 ·
we use it and I dont "live in fear"
... DD gets asthma when she is sick and so we wash up regularly. With soap and water when available and with this when its not. ANd most of the soap in public places is antibacterial so if you are opposed to that you should carry your own soap.

#98 ·
Quote:
What the sanitizers DO do is help the strongest, nastiest bacteria and viruses proliferate.

I really don't think this is true in the case of alcohol-based sanitizers. These sanitizers physically destroy germs. Your argument is like saying that if enough people let themselves get hit and killed by cars, we would develop immunity to being hit by cars.

"Some people wonder if overuse of alcohol sanitizers could be a problem similar to the overuse of antibiotics, which is known to promote bacterial resistance. The good news is that alcohol sanitizers don't cause resistance because they work differently"

from http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/z...read-of-germs/

"No mechanism for resistance to alcohol has been described in bacteria""

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_rub

Hundreds of such references on the web.

#99 ·
I use alcohol and alcohol based gels frequently (Ethanol and Isopropyl). I work in a microbiology lab that deals with pathogens. Each time I leave the lab, I wash my hands for 2 minutes with hot soapy water, use sterile technique to shut off water valves and open ANY lab doors and THEN use the alcohol. The great part about the alcohol and gels is that it gets in the nooks and crannies that regular hand-washing (even if done correctly, most do not) does not touch. For example; under the nails, in the cuticles, under the rings, etc.

I also keep a bottle in my car and wipe down my steering wheel and for use on my hands after grocery shopping (as you often don't wash your hands until you get home, much too late). I don't use it really at all around the house unless there is a tummy bug going around. I am a firm believer in letting my kids be exposed to germs (the normal every day variety...not known sources for pathogens..like raw meats, etc)

If you want something more natural, look for ethanol (ethyl alcohol) based. Ethanol is the same alcohol that many partake of in various forms orally and is made from grain. There have been a few studies looking at skin absorption rates and found them to be undetectable.

#100 ·
I chose other. We use it if there isn't soap, if dd is refusing soap, or if dd's hands are really dry. Otherwise we use soap. From what I have seen an heard on NPR, from her doctor, and from the labels of soap and hand-sanitizer, it kills as many germs as soap and is safe to use especially when you are using it as a substitute for soap rather than in addition to soap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.