Mothering Forum banner

Do you believe that eating fat won't make you fat?

5K views 89 replies 50 participants last post by  tanyam926 
#1 ·
So if I was to eat and eat and eat and eat fat, would I get fat? Even if I ate an over abundance of calories, like 4000 or 5000 a day? What is your opinion on what makes you fat? Too many calories, too many carbs or grain? I would appreciate opinions on this and why you think what you think.

I haven't eaten but a handful of grain in 2-3 days and have already lost two pounds, although that could be water weight. I have eaten lots of fat and protein though.

#77 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
I can definitely lose weight by cutting carbs, but i can barely function on a low-carb diet. How long does it take for that no-energy-no-happiness-want-to-die feeling to wear off? After 4 days or so i'm back off the wagon.
Check out the book, The Diet Cure by Julia Ross (or The Mood Cure by her has the same info.) She discusses how some people can become quite literally addicted to certain foods (sweets/starches or other foods) and so if you quit those foods, you go into a literal chemical withdrawal. Your body starts to detox. This can take a long time for some people and you can feel quite sick from it (weak, dizzy, throwing up, nausea, headache, massive cravings, or total loss of appetite, etc.) She tells you about supplements you can take while your body chemistry normalizes to fight cravings and help you with energy. It made a huge difference for me. Then, in time, you just start to feel better and better. The time frame really varies from person to person.

#78 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Check out the book, The Diet Cure by Julia Ross (or The Mood Cure by her has the same info.) She discusses how some people can become quite literally addicted to certain foods (sweets/starches or other foods) and so if you quit those foods, you go into a literal chemical withdrawal. Your body starts to detox. This can take a long time for some people and you can feel quite sick from it (weak, dizzy, throwing up, nausea, headache, massive cravings, or total loss of appetite, etc.) She tells you about supplements you can take while your body chemistry normalizes to fight cravings and help you with energy. It made a huge difference for me. Then, in time, you just start to feel better and better. The time frame really varies from person to person.
This is interesting. I started the raw milk diet last week and I have been dizzy every day (not until after 3 PM or so). But even after 7 days I was still dizzy. But then again, when I did introduce a little food (beef stock, eggs and halibut with butter/cream sauce) I felt immediately better. Like really immediately.

So, I'm still trying to figure that one out.....

#79 ·
Have you ever had an allergic reaction to milk? Raw milk is not the easiest thing for many people to digest (although easier than pasteurized of course.) I think it's interesting to note that most cultures did not drink fresh raw milk, but rather, some kind of cultured or soured version of milk or milk product.

#80 ·
This thread is a good one! I agree with most of the other pp. In my experience, fat absolutely does not make you fat. I consume quite a bit of fat in a day and I have completely lost my fear of too much fat. My ILs were just talking to me about this yesterday, wanting to know more about this diet I'm on. First, I say it's not a diet... it's a way of eating. I've educated myself about first what is in our food, and with threads like this and others... how our body uses food.
I eat carbs too. Potatoes almost everyday. I love bananas. Yogurt and milk. Since our budget drop for food, I've been consuming more grain than I was. Before I still ate oats every other day. I exercise 5 days a week at least 30 minutes. I have dropped from about 230 post baby to 145 at 5'8". As some of the pp stated, most folks look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them what I eat. Like I just told them a joke.
It is also my firm belief that additives, pesticides, etc in food mess with our body chemistry via hormones. This causes our body to feel like it is starving when it isn't (food quality). This causes bloating, weight retention, weight gain, poor thyroid function, etc... I believe it messes with homeostasis. I believe for the first time by simply eating TF not EFLF, that my body is stabilizing into the body that I was genetically predisposed to have with correct nutrition.
I'm not a scientist at all, but that is my reasoning, and why I don't count calories or fat. I eat when I'm hungry and I eat what I crave.

#81 ·
I posted this in another thread, that I'm down another lb... yesterday I ate eggs & bacon, had CO before breakfast and lunch, ate leftover pulled-pork and coleslaw for lunch, and had a yummy Mother's Day dinner of steak, mushrooms sauted in butter, corn on cob, a couple of bites of baked potato, and strawberries with whipped cream. I am not sure what percentage fat, but I don't care, lol. The only thing "lacking" yesterday was straight carbs...

#82 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Have you ever had an allergic reaction to milk? Raw milk is not the easiest thing for many people to digest (although easier than pasteurized of course.) I think it's interesting to note that most cultures did not drink fresh raw milk, but rather, some kind of cultured or soured version of milk or milk product.
I have no problems digesting raw milk and I have no allergies to it. On the diet I alternate between sweet milk, yogurt and kefir.

#83 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimibell View Post
I have no problems digesting raw milk and I have no allergies to it. On the diet I alternate between sweet milk, yogurt and kefir.
Then it could be just detox.

#84 ·
Yesterday afternoon I got a new delivery of milk since then I've been drinking the milk with the cream and now I feel great! It's amazing the difference the fat makes! I feel like a dweeb, what a silly thing to do. But the book did say to skim the milk so that's what I did. Well, obviously I wasn't getting enough fat! And now that I am, it's like night and day. I feel great and I have plenty of energy. Yay!

So I guess this ties right into this conversation. Without fat you will be sickly and thin and dizzy and weak. With fat you will be healthy and energetic. I do think that carbs are what will add the extra weight for most people. But over-eating is also a culprit for weight gain. I wouldn't blame fat unless it is bad fat like trans-fats.....

#85 ·
Keeping your blood healthy and looking/feeling good are both important issues when considering fat. The blood can get unhealthy for many reasons, not just too much fat, but also too much protein, heavy metals, parasites, etc. which essentially makes the blood thick, sluggish, cloggey, unhealthy. I don't think the controversy/question for healthy blood and even weight loss is necessarily too much fat or protein but what kind of fat you are consuming and how your body efficiently metabolizes it. Coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat are very good fats for you, canola oil, corn oil, margarine, etc. are very bad and our body does not efficiently metabolize them and then they get in our blood stream. Including low fat foods, they are an incomplete food as well as pasturized dairy products. The components which mother nature naturally provides in these healthy foods are stripped away leaving us with compromised food that our body cannot readily metabolize. For example raw milk has enzymes and bacteria that naturally help our body efficiently digest it. Where as pasturized and low fat milk only relies on our digestive juices to metabolize it and especially if our digestive system is compromised in anyway or we may have candida infection our body cannot efficienlty get rid of the fat/protein and it leaks through our intenstines into our blood stream undigested making our blood unhealthy. Very healthy people can still have compromised digestion, you cannot necessarily tell by looking at them. We all are striving to eat optimally.
I would recommend for anyone who is interested in their health especially their blood health to heave their blood looked at under a high powered microscope. It is an eye opening experience to see what kind of state your blood is in. It just takes a drop, and a high powered microscope, we had ours looked at in an alternative/wholistic doctor's office.
It is the same if you eat cooked vegetables/grains/and meat or unsoaked/sprouted grains,nuts and seeds. The enzymes for digestion have been mostly cooked out, the grains, nuts, and seeds have enzymes inhibitors.
This is why we sprout and lacto ferment our grains, and eat lots of fermented foods with our meats such as sauerkraut or eat our foods raw. Fermented foods are super raw foods with tons of enzymes to aid in digestion and raw foods are intact and also provide us with their natural enzymes so we are working with nature as our body intended; not fighting it. If all else fails it does not hurt to also take an enzyme supplement/capsule plus a dose of probiotics to aid in digestion.
So I see this matter not as a fat issue because the good fats are very good and our body needs them to function properly. It is a health issue of the digestive system. Too many doctors treat the symptom and not the all around cause and do not treat the body as an interconnected wholistic system.
I hope this helps.

#86 ·
BetsyPage, thanks for reviving this thread. I hadn't seen it before. I've read all the pages and know that this makes lots of sense. I'm simultaneously reading EFLF and Real Food and am learning good ways to eat fat, what fats and what NOT to eat.

I know from my past that eating fat and protein is very important for my health. I don't know about weight, but if I don't eat enough fat and protein, I can feel my blood sugar go out of whack. Carbs, like crackers or pretzels will help for a little while, but if I want to feel "right" and not sick, I need to make sure that I'm eating lots of protein and fat.

That's all the time I have right now, but I have some questions that I'll get to later.

#87 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimibell View Post
Yesterday afternoon I got a new delivery of milk since then I've been drinking the milk with the cream and now I feel great! It's amazing the difference the fat makes! I feel like a dweeb, what a silly thing to do. But the book did say to skim the milk so that's what I did. Well, obviously I wasn't getting enough fat! And now that I am, it's like night and day. I feel great and I have plenty of energy. Yay!

So I guess this ties right into this conversation. Without fat you will be sickly and thin and dizzy and weak. With fat you will be healthy and energetic. I do think that carbs are what will add the extra weight for most people. But over-eating is also a culprit for weight gain. I wouldn't blame fat unless it is bad fat like trans-fats.....
Wow, now you're making me wonder if my own "detox" symptoms could be cured or at least eased with more fat . . . hmmmm . . . . thanks for the update!

#88 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moon mountain mama View Post
Keeping your blood healthy and looking/feeling good are both important issues when considering fat. The blood can get unhealthy for many reasons, not just too much fat, but also too much protein, heavy metals, parasites, etc. which essentially makes the blood thick, sluggish, cloggey, unhealthy. I don't think the controversy/question for healthy blood and even weight loss is necessarily too much fat or protein but what kind of fat you are consuming and how your body efficiently metabolizes it. Coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat are very good fats for you, canola oil, corn oil, margarine, etc. are very bad and our body does not efficiently metabolize them and then they get in our blood stream. Including low fat foods, they are an incomplete food as well as pasturized dairy products. The components which mother nature naturally provides in these healthy foods are stripped away leaving us with compromised food that our body cannot readily metabolize. For example raw milk has enzymes and bacteria that naturally help our body efficiently digest it. Where as pasturized and low fat milk only relies on our digestive juices to metabolize it and especially if our digestive system is compromised in anyway or we may have candida infection our body cannot efficienlty get rid of the fat/protein and it leaks through our intenstines into our blood stream undigested making our blood unhealthy. Very healthy people can still have compromised digestion, you cannot necessarily tell by looking at them. We all are striving to eat optimally.
I would recommend for anyone who is interested in their health especially their blood health to heave their blood looked at under a high powered microscope. It is an eye opening experience to see what kind of state your blood is in. It just takes a drop, and a high powered microscope, we had ours looked at in an alternative/wholistic doctor's office.
It is the same if you eat cooked vegetables/grains/and meat or unsoaked/sprouted grains,nuts and seeds. The enzymes for digestion have been mostly cooked out, the grains, nuts, and seeds have enzymes inhibitors.
This is why we sprout and lacto ferment our grains, and eat lots of fermented foods with our meats such as sauerkraut or eat our foods raw. Fermented foods are super raw foods with tons of enzymes to aid in digestion and raw foods are intact and also provide us with their natural enzymes so we are working with nature as our body intended; not fighting it. If all else fails it does not hurt to also take an enzyme supplement/capsule plus a dose of probiotics to aid in digestion.
So I see this matter not as a fat issue because the good fats are very good and our body needs them to function properly. It is a health issue of the digestive system. Too many doctors treat the symptom and not the all around cause and do not treat the body as an interconnected wholistic system.
I hope this helps.

great post.

#90 ·
becalive, I am no expert but from what I have read, fat/protein does not spike blood sugar, carbs do (in any form, both healthy and not healthy carbs), so the best thing to do if you are a diabetic is to stick to easier to digest whole grain carbs (the fiber reduces the insulin/blood sugar spike) and eat lots of healthy fats/protein.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.