Mothering Forum banner

Will using an "out there" name hurt my child?

5K views 114 replies 82 participants last post by  Talula Fairie 
#1 ·
I've been on two name boards now, (full of very traditional people), and they say my name choices will hurt my child and cause lots of teasing in school, etc. Though I'm tough-skinned enough to not be hurt by this, it does make me wonder if I should rethink my names (especially my girl name)

One, I'm going to homeschool, so I really hate the reasoning that they will get teased in school, since they won't be going to school! and Two, I have an unusual name and while I don't really like it, I don't feel it hurt me in any way. I have a crazy spelling for my name, and all my name choices are fairly easy and straightforward in their spellings as a result of this.

Are my name choices bad or will they hurt my children? What do you think about them?

We are thinking of Fable for a girl. I feel it is unheard of for a name, but it's a commonly known word that sounds very much like common names Mabel and Fay. It's short, easily spelled, and not really that crazy in my opinion. I adore it's meaning (A story conveying a moral). We were thinking of Fable Tara Virginia or Fable Tara Bluebird (Tara and Virginia are dear family names, and Bluebird is highly signifcant for me). Our backup name is Beatrix, but we are pretty set on Fable. (And really people use Story, Lyric, River, Harmony, Destiny, I don't see these names as any different!)

For a boy, we are leaning towards Zeplin. (I know the band spells it Led Zeppelin, but I like it a it more simple in spelling). Our other top choices are Malcolm and Wynn. The combo will be Zeplin/Malcolm/Wynn Alexander Clint.

Opinions? (And don't worry about offending me, unless you're mean, my feelings don't get hurt very easily!)

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a fairly well known blogger who has a beautiful daughter named Fable. I love this name. i would totally go for it. You can not worry about what people think. school or not, kids tease other kids. Ask anyone, any person you know "were you teased as a kid?" and they will say yes adn they will tell you why...kids tease other kids because of their names..and not just weird names, any names. they tease them for being too skinny, for being too chubby, for having red hair, or freckles. for getting bad grade or for getting good grades.

childhood is a very small part of our lives. you can not let this let you waiver from the name that you have chosen for your child for the next 80 years or more of it's life!

#3 ·
I was teased mercilessly for my last name in school, (and also for being short, shy and nearsighted). It sucked, but I'm not under the impression that, had my name been "Smith" or "Wilson", elementary and middle school would have been an emotional walk in the park. I was well able to observe that there were some Smiths and Wilsons who had it just as bad as I did.

Name your kids whatever you like.

That said, the association I have with Zeplin is the Hindenburg, so I wouldn't go there.

#4 ·
Your names are fine. Have heard far weirder. I grew up with the name Anna Kiss (first and middle) and have learned to not only like it, but to actually advertise my weird name and its meaning. I figure, I'm raising freaks because I'm a freak. Good for us. We're weird all over the place. Sure beats being suburbanites!

#5 ·
I consider myself picky when it comes to names and I really like the names Fable and Zeplin. My daughter has a very unusual name as do I. People routinely tell us how our names are beautiful, unique, etc. So far no teasing. Ours are also difficult to pronounce (for Americans) Oh well.
Pick a name that resonates with you or fits with your child - we waited until our daughter was born before naming her.

#7 ·
Honestly, I think that weird names should be for a kid's middle name only.

Yes, everyone gets teased about something but your name is a very easy thing to get teased about. Trust me. I've got one of those weird first names myself. As an adult, I live by a nickname.

So, I'd give your kid "a passes for normal" first name and crazy middle name.

#9 ·
My family is notoriously rude about the names I've picked and they really tick me off. During this pregnancy and my last one I refused to tell them any of my choices.

Anyway, I think Zeplin is an awesome name
Fable is pretty, and I love Bluebird too

#11 ·
I tend to think about how it's going to look on a resume. Senator Fable. Judge Zeplin. To me, those names sound really unfortunate. You'd certainly hope people would see a name like that on a job application and not give it a second thought - but people aren't like that.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with unusual names. But the names you have picked are imo, quite bad and possibly cruel. Now, as middle names, no problem at all. A middle name is the spot to get your naming ya-yas out.

Fable just begs to be teased as "feeble." And I guarantee you that homeschooling will not protect her. Plus, in addition to the "story with a moral" meaning you are thinking of, the word has strong connotations of something made-up, an untruth, not worth believing. "Oh, that's just a fable." It seems really dismissive to give a child that name.

Zeplin is at first glance simply goofy. At second glance, there are all the connotations of the word: airships used extensively as bombers during WW1 and then, of course, what comes most readily to mind: the horrific Hindenburg crash. It would be really hard for me not to negatively judge a parent who would saddle her son with that.

Malcolm is a really good, strong name. And there's nothing wrong with Tara.

#12 ·
Growing up Jennifer in a sea of Jennifers, I love unusual names. Fable is beautiful. I also love Z names, my son is Zander. I have to admit, Zeplin I'd worry a little about, especially if he winds up being husky. We know a little boy named Zephyr, do you like that one?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ell View Post
I think Fable is lovely!

I will be honest... I think Zeplin is a little too out there. I'd vote for the other choices.
Same here. Love Fable but Zeplin just makes me think of blimps and dirigibles.

nak

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
That said, the association I have with Zeplin is the Hindenburg, so I wouldn't go there.
This is what I thought too.

What about Zephyr? It is Greek for the "West Wind" That was almost DS1's middle name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I tend to think about how it's going to look on a resume. Senator Fable. Judge Zeplin. To me, those names sound really unfortunate. You'd certainly hope people would see a name like that on a job application and not give it a second thought - but people aren't like that.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with unusual names. But the names you have picked are imo, quite bad and possibly cruel. Now, as middle names, no problem at all. A middle name is the spot to get your naming ya-yas out.

Fable just begs to be teased as "feeble." And I guarantee you that homeschooling will not protect her. Plus, in addition to the "story with a moral" meaning you are thinking of, the word has strong connotations of something made-up, an untruth, not worth believing. "Oh, that's just a fable." It seems really dismissive to give a child that name.

Zeplin is at first glance simply goofy. At second glance, there are all the connotations of the word: airships used extensively as bombers during WW1 and then, of course, what comes most readily to mind: the horrific Hindenburg crash. It would be really hard for me not to negatively judge a parent who would saddle her son with that.

Malcolm is a really good, strong name. And there's nothing wrong with Tara.
I agree with most of the above. You do have to consider your child's future careers. While Fable and Zeplin might make good actor and rock star names, they may not be taken as seriously as a lawyer, teacher or doctor (etc).

When I first saw Fable, I also thought it meant a lie or something made up. Yes it's a story, but I think it is usually used to mean when someone made up a story in order to lie to you.

If you like Tara, how about Terra- it is spanish for "Earth" And I also like Virginia for a girls name too.. not too commonly used, but still normal.

And save the unusual names for the middle slot (and you can always use her middle name at home, and she can have a normal name for when she is an adult)

#15 ·
some kids will just FIND something to make fun of another kid for. whether it be their name, size, glasses, no glasses, braces, whatever. so i say name your child whatever you want. it's not going to doom them for a life of terror.

plus, surviving teasing just builds character!

#16 ·
Fable, I can go there, but Zeplin...not so much. Wynn is nicer - soft, sounds like 'win' so has a good connotation, unusual without being tacky, and I can see a 3 year old, a 21 year old, and an old man with this name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mynameisMom View Post
Zeplin I'd worry a little about, especially if he winds up being husky.
ROFL! I would nix Zeplin for the above, and the Hindenberg, and the 70's rock band associations, and the fact that it is spelled wrong.

Associations are important. I knew a girl named Caprice, and the invariable joke was that she was named after the model of car in which she was conceived. In any event, caprice means 'an impulsive change of mind' or 'a sudden, unpredictable action'. Not such good mojo to bestow on your kid, if you ask me.

Personally, I don't 'get' why people name their kids some of the things they do...I have seen children named after an early french pistol, the Egyptian god of the underworld, a generic term for a Roman consul, a number. I suppose they are memorable, but some of them make me question whether the person who chose the name actually knew what it meant.

#18 ·
I don't think so at all. Those names aren't super "out there." I LOVE (lovelovelove) the name Fable. I wanted to name my son that, but everyone said it was too "girly" :p.
My name isn't strange, just uncommon around here, and I was teased a good bit for it but it was no big deal to me. Pretty much every single person I know has been teased for their name--unusual or top 50 or somewhere in between. I think it's just one of those easy things for other kids to pick on.

#19 ·
I think Fable is fine. It's not my personal style, but it doesn't sound made up and the spelling is straigt-forward.

Don't like Zeplin so much. I would definitely go with one of your other choices, I love Wynn!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
You do have to consider your child's future careers.
Eh, my dh's name is a Hindu name - he's a red-headed, clearly not Indian, dude - and he's Vice President of a large company. I do hear him repeat his name to people on the phone, but usually only once, and then, well, they always remember him. I think it's actually been kind of an asset. I'm personally into traditional names, and dh wanted to change his name to Adam as a kid (though he's really come to appreciate it), but I admire and enjoy hearing about the meanings/motivations behind people's unusual name choices. I think whatever name you give your kiddo is, just that, a gift. Why not let that be something that's meaningful?

That said, I'm with everyone who thinks of the Hindenburg, when I hear Zeplin. Sorry.

Oh, and dd is Virginia! So, I love that name.

#21 ·
I like unusual names and I don't give a rats butt about what other people think. Kids will tease about anything, so a common name isn't going to save a kid anything. My name is fairly common, and I was teased mercilessly about other things AND my name. Any name can be rhymed with something, associated with something, etc. And I really am not swayed with the idea "But, but, they might want to be a Senator!" Yeah, they might, but then again, they might want to be a yoga instructor, or a writer, or a business owner. If I made every decision based on every single slim possibility out there, I probably wouldn't have had kids. And, after all, we have a president named Barack, so it's obviously not an obstacle that can't be overcome. And if they really, really hate it, they can change it.

I like both names, and I don't associate Zeplin with the Hindenburg, more with the band.

#22 ·
I have heard weirder. Way weirder
And I think Fable is beautiful. Zeplin does have the whole Hindenberg thing but I still don't think it would be the top thing on people's minds when they're talking to your son.
I grew up with a highly unusual name (haven't even heard of anybody with it yet) and was teased, but not about my name. Like PPs have said, kids will find something to tease about regardless of the name, and I think it has far more to do with personal traits/mannerisms than an unusual name. I actually disliked my name when I was little but have "grown into it" so to speak and now like it very much!

#23 ·
People who want to tease someone will find an excuse to tease no matter what the name is. If it's not the name it's because the kid has funny hair, is skinny, is short, is this or that. Name your kid what you want!

And really, I have the most boring, common name there is. Jessica. Not reason to tease, right? Well my maiden name is Solomon so I got teased and called Salamander all the time as a kid. And now my last name is Johnson and some friends have to make penis jokes all the time about it. Again, people will tease no matter what the person's name is.

#24 ·
I think both are great names. I really don't think you can protect your kids from these things. Sure having a differnt names sort of *asks for name calling* but both DH & I have normal everyday names & guess what? We both got our names turned into bizzarre things that I'm sure neither of our parents could have ever thought of. I say go for what you & Dh like & piss on anyone else.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
That was my first thought too.

That being said, I'm all about unusual names, so long as they're not so completely confusing that there's no way anyone would ever be able to spell it. My maiden name is like that, and after 30 years, I was more than happy to take my DH's name. But, I do have an unusual (for the time, it's more common now) first name... there were times as a child I would have loved to be Jessica or Jennifer, but overall I really like my name.

But I also think taking into account how it would sound as an adult trying to gain respect in a career is important. That being said, I've never heard a senator or judge addressed by Senator/Judge FirstName. So, as long as it's not completely froofroo, name the child what you like.

#26 ·
We have three naming criteria.

1. Put it on a business card. Would you hire a lawyer with that name?
2. Does the name (first, middle, last) flow off you're tongue? It might come in handy when they are a teenager and exasperating.

3. Do the initials spell anything?

That being said, kids will find things to tease about. Name your baby what you want. We've gone with more "traditional" first names and if we have a more "unusual" name preference, we use it as a middle name.

Good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.