Mothering Forum banner

PP Chat Thread - May 25-31

11K views 122 replies 31 participants last post by  ~Katie~ 
#1 ·
Here's the new thread for the week!

#2 ·
Hi!

We've been having a good time with family though I think Ezra has had overkill on stimulation so we look forward to being just the three of us.

I can NOT figure out his diaper rash and it's spreading too. I started nystatin cream this weekend thinking it was yeast, but from looking at pics online, it may not be. No thrush either. It's red and bumpy along each side of his butt cheeks. I've been doing a lot and it went away last week then came back when I went back to cloth. I had been using a grapefruit seed extract wash with each change since Thursday in the event it was yeast. Also using Burts bees diaper cream and back in sposies. I have no idea!

#3 ·
Breast milk squirted on bum at each diaper change? Seriously, that stuff is good for whatever ails you!

Things are good here. I'm consistently amazed at how much easier things are this time around compared to with my DD. DS nurses better (better latch) and sleeps better and just isn't a screamer (yet!). DD is dealing pretty well with having a new brother and is loving having my mom visit.

#4 ·
Yay! New thread! Happy Memorial Day!

We're doing pretty good at two weeks PP. Chloe is adorable and mostly a pretty "good" baby. Our only problem so far seems to be that she's super sensitive to everything I eat and my torrential letdown. I'm slowly figuring out what foods to eliminate, starting w/ EVERYTHING that bothered DD1 and then some (my chocolate ice cream. boo!!!). I also have to pump a couple ounces before feeding her to slow down my let down, otherwise she gets way too much foremilk and then gassy. Plus, the choking on too much milk...
But she's a good little eater and sleeps great.
I think I"m healing fine physically...I definitely have moments where I feel like I'm doing too much and I hate this stupid bleed-not-bleed-bleed thing that's going on. One hour there's completely nothing and the next I might as well be hemorraghing (okay, maybe an exaggeration...but the gushing is there). I really want to start working out again, but feel like I should wait until the bleeding slows down for real. I can't even really go out for a walk because we've decided to basically keep the baby indoors for the first four weeks...there are people in our neighborhood walking around w/ masks because apparently the swine flu struck somewhere on our block. A little paranoid, yes...but we've kind of like sheltering our babies during the first month.
And speaking of sheltering...the family drama surrounding that is irritating. My mom called the day after I got home from the hospital (so, 2 days pp) to ball me out for not inviting her up to visit. Major guilt trips about "the grandparents" etc...we have a ridiculously small apartment and I hate having visitors, especially while recovering from childbirth. >>Why no, I don't want to get out of my pajamas and clear a path to the door so you can walk in and sit on our tiny futon and breath all over my newborn.<< I get that it's wildly unorthodox to not have visitors during the first month of life with a newborn, but I am so exhausted with people being so gosh-darned judgemental about it...And I'm always surprised by the source - my mom had 5 kids, doesn't she remember this part?? I just want to have some sheltered bonding time with my newly expanded family before letting everyone else in...and it's not like she's even offering to help around the house! She just wants to see Chloe so she can brag to all her friends about her new grandbaby. Grr...Yes...hormonally-influenced short fuse, I know.

Alicia - sorry about little Ezra's rash...I wonder if he's allergic to something in the fabric of the cloth diapers (wild guess). Chloe's in CD's during the day, they're cotton prefolds from a diaper service, and we haven't had any rash issues yet. Or maybe it's just chaffing...?? Babies are great...all these rashes and skin things and no owner's manual.
Chloe's peeling like she had a bad sunburn and has cracks around her ankles despite obsessive applications of Aquaphor. I think it's just a product of her being cooked a bit longer...
Oh - and Alicia, I read somewhere you were using coconut oil on Ezra...what for? And what kind of coconut oil? Just the food-grade stuff from the store? We're just entering the pizza face phase with baby acne...wondering if anything will help it.

I also have to say - I bought a Moby wrap because I cannot stand my New Native sling (I always have one hand on baby because I"m afraid she'll fall out in that thing!), and I love it! It's a bit complicated to get on (think putting on samurai robes), but I've been using it since Friday and now that I have the hang of it, it's not that bad. She's so cozy in it and it's completely handsfree. I'm typing w/ her in it right now and I've been able to cook meals and wash dishes too. Exactly what I need since I can't leave her alone in the room w/ DD1 who's fond of giving her little love pokes.

Hope you ladies have a great week! Does anyone know how much longer our DDC will be open? I'm sort of sad to think about it closing...

#5 ·
I think the ddc is supposed to be open for 3 months... but January is still up, so who knows for sure.

Nursing was going great for us but now my milk is in overdrive and she chokes and sputters every time she latches on. DD miraculously didn't lose her latch in the last 6 months, so she's been helping a ton with the overproduction issue, but I was wearing a super stretched out soft, non-underwire bra because they're soooo heavy that its uncomfortable to not wear one. But, I'm already developing a swollen duct up by my right armpit that is throbbing like crazy! I've been kneeding it with each nursing session today, but its still super tender.

AND... I suddenly developed a hemroid (sp?). So, my anus has been throbbing all day too! I felt pretty good until today. It seems today I feel the worst since day one.

For the roid, I've just been using a little witch hazel each time I go to the bathroom. And for the lump, just kneeding and suffering without a bra.

Any other sugguestions?

Sadie

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
Alicia - sorry about little Ezra's rash...I wonder if he's allergic to something in the fabric of the cloth diapers (wild guess). Chloe's in CD's during the day, they're cotton prefolds from a diaper service, and we haven't had any rash issues yet. Or maybe it's just chaffing...?? Babies are great...all these rashes and skin things and no owner's manual.
Chloe's peeling like she had a bad sunburn and has cracks around her ankles despite obsessive applications of Aquaphor. I think it's just a product of her being cooked a bit longer...
Oh - and Alicia, I read somewhere you were using coconut oil on Ezra...what for? And what kind of coconut oil? Just the food-grade stuff from the store? We're just entering the pizza face phase with baby acne...wondering if anything will help it.

I thought it was something in the cloth too, from the diaper service. The bleach she used between customers? Build up? But she uses vinegar and line dries...and we got a new batch that we had from the first week, washed, so not just bleached, still rash. He's been in sposies for a few days, rash has gotten worse. I thought maybe it ws all the OJ I was drinking up till last week, but nope. Can't figure out if it's food otehrwise as he doesn't have the ring around his anus. I'm really wishing I could figure it out so we can go back to cloth! I'm so sad! I am tempted to try my own prefolds on him but I'll ahve ot deal with the launrdy in our apt. shared machines and they have been leaving rust on some other items! UGH. I figure I should also wait until the rash is completely gone.

My SIL just got to our place with my nephew, from San Diego. They're in seeing her family and stoopped by for the afternoon. Newphew and Ezra are both napping so we haven't played yet.

Coconut oil - I've been using it some on his bottom, and also on acne. It works great for the acne, definitely try it. I have the Nutiva brand which we already use on our own skin and for cooking. Try that on her ankles too. Ezra's hands were peeling big time last week, I applied oil ONCE, and the next day, ALL the peely skin was completely gone. His feet took a little longer but I was amazed at his hands.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
I think the ddc is supposed to be open for 3 months... but January is still up, so who knows for sure.

Nursing was going great for us but now my milk is in overdrive and she chokes and sputters every time she latches on. DD miraculously didn't lose her latch in the last 6 months, so she's been helping a ton with the overproduction issue, but I was wearing a super stretched out soft, non-underwire bra because they're soooo heavy that its uncomfortable to not wear one. But, I'm already developing a swollen duct up by my right armpit that is throbbing like crazy! I've been kneeding it with each nursing session today, but its still super tender.

AND... I suddenly developed a hemroid (sp?). So, my anus has been throbbing all day too! I felt pretty good until today. It seems today I feel the worst since day one.

For the roid, I've just been using a little witch hazel each time I go to the bathroom. And for the lump, just kneeding and suffering without a bra.

Any other sugguestions?

Sadie
I'd wipe with Tucks, gently stuff the 'roid back in
and do a kegel to squeeze it in there lol and apply some coconut oil (and was taking a stool softener). Was gone in a couple of days and has stayed away.

I'd prop your LO up more when nursing with the heavy flow. I do that some for Ezra on the left side and he chokes less. Massage and ibuprofen for the pain? Ice? Heat will make it worse from what I hear as it increases the blood flow there, not what you want.

#8 ·
Sadie...nurse, nurse, nurse (that breast needs to be completely emptied...pump if you have to). Which it sounds like you're already doing with two! Other than that, you're doing the right things...keep massaging, take warm showers, drink lots and lots of fluids and get as much rest as you possibly can. Good luck!
(sorry about the roids, those just showed up for me too...ouchie!)

#9 ·
I seriously couldn't live without my wraps! I have a few so I can wash and still use them. Seriously--it's my 4 kid survival strategy.

I am feeling great finally. Tired still, but good. We went for a short walk at the park by our house the last 2 nights. I'm hoping to make it a regular thing.

My let down has gotten more major in the last couple of days. What's up with that? We are 3 1/2 weeks pp. Dd has been choking on my right side with the let down already. Last night, she pulled off to choke and I sprayed for a good 2-3 minutes. I got some serious distance too! I was worried that her starting to throw up might be food allergies like her brother, but I think she is gagging and it triggers her vomiting. Poor thing.
Oh, and last night was our first bout of "colic." She screamed and whimpered for about an hour. We walked, bounced, swayed, laid down, you name it. Finally I found 1 spot in the living room where if I stood there just right and held her at just the odd angle, she stayed calm. But she slept great. I don't know what was up!
M has been getting a very light rash on her bum. I put a little Earth Mama Angel baby stuff on it and it stays pretty good.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
I also have to say - I bought a Moby wrap because I cannot stand my New Native sling (I always have one hand on baby because I"m afraid she'll fall out in that thing!), and I love it! It's a bit complicated to get on (think putting on samurai robes), but I've been using it since Friday and now that I have the hang of it, it's not that bad.
My SIL gave me a wrap. I tried it out today, and OMG - what a PITA. I can't wait to put her in my sling!
To each her own, eh?

Sadie - You can also take a very warm wash cloth and put on it before you massage it.

Things are going very well here. Theresa is the most contented baby - EVER. After the past few weeks (months) of hell, it is so nice. My amazing friends have been bringing over food. A friend of mine brought pizza and salad yesterday. Then today, another friend brought chili, salad, and a chocolate cake! Yum. It was so sad though, they are moving out of state in less than a week. She has two girls (10 & 11) who were so thrilled to get to hold Theresa. I'm looking forward to digging into that chocolate cake! That may be very soon!
My two older kids do not want to go back to school tomorrow. My youngest daughter is kind of happy that they're going though, so she'll have her little sister mostly to herself!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
My SIL gave me a wrap. I tried it out today, and OMG - what a PITA. I can't wait to put her in my sling!
To each her own, eh?

Seriously! There's no explaining how many opinions there are about baby wearing aparati.
The Moby is a pain to get on, it's taken me a full three days to get the hang of it and I almost sent it back after DH saw it and teased me relentlessly for how ridiculous it was...but I've figured it out and I really do like it now.

#12 ·
Alicia ~ I swear by Boudreaux's Butt Paste for diaper rashes, rashes in general, really. It's probably not the most natural thing, but I've never had a diaper rash stay around when using that.

I tried out my Hot Sling today. I got it on sale and was so excited, but wasn't sure what size I would wear after I had him and it turns out that it's too big. At least for now. Just not real comfy/secure with a wobbly newborn. So I'll string with my maya wrap for now.

G is doing well and still eating and sleeping great. I'm so used to crying not happy babies that I am second guessing if maybe he's sleeping TOO much. He barely ever makes a sound other than rooting around to nurse. He barely ever cries. I seriously go from "Wow, am I really THAT blessed?!" to "I wonder if something is wrong with him!"
My last child was the same way, though maybe a tad bit more active/noisy. My first three were just...well, let's just say that it's amazing we went on to have more!

My hormones are starting to go a bit crazy. I was talking to DH in the van about his vasectoy that he needs to schedule and just started crying out of the blue. Not b/c I don't want him to get one b/c I really, really do!
I don't know WHY I was crying and I hate crying so not knowing the reason peeves me off even more than the actual crying!

#13 ·
Sophia is doing great, she has been making so much eye contact this whole week. It's beautiful. She still has a diaper rash, that gets better and worse. It's just because she poops a million times a day.

I feel kinda down and weird. Not like an extreme thing, just having a moody day.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
My hormones are starting to go a bit crazy. I was talking to DH in the van about his vasectoy that he needs to schedule and just started crying out of the blue. Not b/c I don't want him to get one b/c I really, really do!
I don't know WHY I was crying and I hate crying so not knowing the reason peeves me off even more than the actual crying!

DH has got to schedule his SOON before pg amnesia sets in! The birth was so good, and she is so perfect that the memory of nine months of hell is already starting to fade into oblivion.

#15 ·
doing well here, still not much in the sleep at night stuff happening, and we too are still battling diaper rash, but until he stops pooping constantly i just don't see it completely healing up. have our 2.5 week check up tomorrow, can't wait to see what he weighs. on the me front, i'm totally healed, bleeding is at a minimum as long as i don't overdo it, and i'm already in my pre-pregnancy jeans. if i could get some sleep life would be perfect....

#16 ·
Wow, I feel lucky that we have escaped diaper rash!! I'm sorry so many of your babes are battling it!

Griffin is a month old! Its gone so fast already! He is realy studying things now. And we are getting a few smiles. He is still really floppy though, my ds was so strong from the very start, held his head up really soon. Oh well, I hold him belly down with his head in the crook of my elbow. I find thats the only way I can hold him and get things done for my toddler with the other hand (unless he is in the sling) Slinging has been rough. When he is ready for a nap he loves the wrap, BUT otherwise he arches his back and screams. We're seeing the ped tomorrow and i can't wait to ask about his reflux. It seems like way more than normal. I need to know if I should cut things out of my diet.

Oh and I made a thread about it elsewhere but he has one blue and one brown eye. I think its adorable!

#17 ·
2:30 am - 3:00 Eating
3:00-3:45 dancing around bedroom to music
3:45-4:00 making her dad hold her while i get a snack
4:00-4:20 just crying. nonstop
4:20-4:30 she takes random bouts of nursing in between crying
4:30-5:00 bouncing on the birth ball
5:00-present (5:21) rocking in computer chair, afraid to stop b/c when i stop, she starts crying

i think we're going to try to creep back to bed soon.

tell me that one day, i will sleep. one day.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
DH has got to schedule his SOON before pg amnesia sets in! The birth was so good, and she is so perfect that the memory of nine months of hell is already starting to fade into oblivion.

G is such a good baby. I told DH that if our first three had been like this, I cannot imagine how many we would have had. DH says "Oh...probably 5."
Smart aleck! However, 5 is my limit. Heck, 4 WAS my limit.
So 6 is not happening. DH is cut off until he gets fixed and the all clear b/c I cannot have another. Just. no. way. And not just b/c the labor was so bad!

Well, G must have read my post here last night about him not eating enough b/c every time he stirred last night, he wanted to eat. Totally fine with me, I was awake, anyway. We've had rain hre like crazy and last night we had thunder & lightning storms on top of it so I kept waking up. Was planning my shopping trip today, but no way am I driving in this since we have flash flood watches going on, too. Whee!

#19 ·
One day, Kelly, you will sleep!
I found the sleep adjustment soooooo hard with my first baby, I totally feel where you are coming from! One suggestion, if you are in the mood for such: it may be better NOT to walk around, bounce etc. You may find that if you lie in bed, in the dark, offering the breast and petting and soothing when the breast is not wanted, that you are enduring the same total amount of crying, yet in a horizontal position
Plus, while obviously our babies are too young to be "taught" or "trained" about any aspect of family life, they are NOT too young to form some very basic expectations based on consistent, repeated experience. After all, they can internalize the fact that Mom offers the breast when they cry! IMHO, they can also internalize the fact that when it is dark in the room, Mom and baby are in bed and external stimulus is kept to a minimum so one might as well go to sleep. I have NEVER walked any of my kids at night. It sets up a precedent that I am not willing to carry on.

CookAMH: now that you've tried Nystatin and effectively eliminated the possibility that it is yeast, I'd go for a sampling of moisture-blockers to see what Ezra responds best to. Boudreaux's is a good one. Some kids respond to plain old Vaseline. And on the diaper front, if using sposies is not curing it then using cloth is probably not causing it. Nonetheless, it's worth your while to try using your own and washing a load, just to see if/how that works for you and if getting away from the service dipes helps Ezra's butt. Fleece inserts inside the service's diapers might also help, and those can be laundered with your regular load if you give them a good rinse first.

One week PP for me today! Still bleeding and with the sore nipples, but nothing abnormal. My mom is here and doing a LOT of my work - she'll be here through the 31st. I am not worried about much of anything except the transition when she leaves. We will have to work out our new family routines then!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
5:00-present (5:21) rocking in computer chair, afraid to stop b/c when i stop, she starts crying

Kelly - Babies tend to reach a peak crying stage for no apparent reason and then it does improve itself. I agree that instead of exhausting yourself trying to fix the crying, be present with her and hold her and do your best to sooth her with the breast. Crying in arms is not the same as CIO. Adjusting to life outside the womb is hard and I think crying is a part of that but its the only form of communication they have, as unpleasant as it can be. The Happiest Baby on the Block may be a helpful book also.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

This is our nights as well, with a bit less crying and more just "I'm awake" time.....sigh. Hoping days and nights will get straightened out soon for both of us! 2.5 week check up today, he's HUGE, well comparatively. 6lbs3oz at 4 day check up, 7lbs10oz at 2.5 week check up! Yay breastmilk!

#22 ·
I want to say more but I have to get kids ready for school. NAK

we concurred bad diaper rash finally with disposables and (expensive but worth it) weleda diaper cream sensitive wipes and washing area once a day with baby soap and water. MAinly I think it was the cream. I noticed it getting better after 1 day and 1 night.

it was a red open sore rash between the cheeks.

#23 ·
Kelly- I wholeheartedly agree with Smithie on the sleep stuff. Good advice!!
I was told by a lot of friends that second babies tend to sleep better and I am totally seeing that with my little guy. And I tend to wonder if its less about the baby and more about the parents attitude toward sleep. I am more relaxed about letting my second fidget and fuss his way back to sleep after I have offered to nurse and burp and comfort. But having a screamer for the first one really broke me in, so to speak. (and the fidgeting and fussing occurs right next to me, I'm not condoning CIO or anything.) That being said we had a couple nights of wakefullness last week one of which I took to the couch because I didn't want to wake my DH and DS upstairs.

Just went to the ped this morning and Griffin is up from 8lbs even at birth to 9lbs 9 oz at one month today! I was hoping he'd have grown well because of all the intense spitting up he is doing. I'm not going to do an elimination diet I guess. Doc said its ok. But I AM going to start pumping a little bit because I hate seeing all this precious milk go to waste. If I pump off the initial letdown he might be able to take in just enough milk to keep it down. I don't want to increase my supply though.

#24 ·
We did Laine's pictures today with a friend who is an independent photographer. All I can say is I very much wish we would have had this opportunity with Liam because they are absolutely precious. We did several special personalized ones for DH as well, so get ready for the waterworks once they're ready and I can post them.

#25 ·
It is cool here today. 10c, which is 50 I think? I am enjoying it a lot.

I feel so much better since I stopped taking percocet. I was taking them every 4 hours in the hospital because I was scared of the pain, and started spacing them out when I got home. I stopped taking them Sunday I think. No more dizziness, no more being so tired I fall asleep sitting up, no more headaches. I don't do well on painkillers apparently, though it was a lot better than tylenol 3s.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
It is cool here today. 10c, which is 50 I think? I am enjoying it a lot.

I feel so much better since I stopped taking percocet. I was taking them every 4 hours in the hospital because I was scared of the pain, and started spacing them out when I got home. I stopped taking them Sunday I think. No more dizziness, no more being so tired I fall asleep sitting up, no more headaches. I don't do well on painkillers apparently, though it was a lot better than tylenol 3s.
A bit cooler here today too. The warmer days were nice, but the overcast cool days are kinda nice too!

Here, they give you percocet and naproxen for 48hrs max, then you aren't given anything but ibuprofen and Tylenol. I took 2 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the first 5 days (declined the percocet after the first 12 hours) and then took Tylenol every 4 hours for 2 more days, then nothing. I was still falling asleep sitting up, nursing in the rocking chair. I think it has more to do with being a mom than the specific drugs! Glad you are feeling better though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.