Mothering Forum banner

Homeschool co-op class ideas

12K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  MPsSweetie 
#1 ·
We just joined a co-op in January and DD took tumbling, art and praise dance. I know they also had cake decorating for older kids, but not sure what else. I am thinking about maybe offering to teach a class next semester, but I don't know what to teach. I love art and thats a possibility. I also just read about a Pioneer Crafts class on a FIAR blog, so that could be fun.

What classes have you seen and/or taken in a co-op setting?

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Well, art is my most comfortable area, but I'm not sure if they will already have a regular old art class covered.
Maybe you could branch off into nature crafts. Everyone loves these kinds of projects
, but lots of people don't tend to pursue them on their own and love to have them led in a group. Here's one site of many that has great ideas:
Free Nature Crafts Ideas

Lillian

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

Maybe you could branch off into nature crafts. Everyone loves these kinds of projects
, but lots of people don't tend to pursue them on their own and love to have them led in a group. Here's one site of many that has great ideas:
Free Nature Crafts Ideas

Lillian
Thanks!

#7 ·
Thats what I'm talking about! I would teach almost anything fun, but not really math. We don't have a place for swimming lessons. Mad Science sounds awesome! And American Girl group! Tell me more about that one!

#8 ·
In the last two years our co-op has had Latin, math games, board games, Lego club, geography, preschool art, PE class, basketball, babysitting/Red Cross training, knitting, choir, manners class, wildlife gardener, planets. We had lots to choose from.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Thats what I'm talking about! I would teach almost anything fun, but not really math. We don't have a place for swimming lessons. Mad Science sounds awesome! And American Girl group! Tell me more about that one!
Mad Science covered a lot of "kitchen" science experiments. There are lots of books at the library or amazon with ideas. (Search for "Kitchen Science Experiments" or similar.) They made huge messes. It was fun.

The American Girl group also a big hit. You could either choose one set of books (focusing on one character) or do the "Meet xxxx" for a new character each week. They'd discuss the book and do a craft, recipe, game, etc from that time period. They made doll clothes connected with the Addy book. Tie dyed shirts for the Julie book, etc. There were parents that sat in on this class because it was so much fun.

#11 ·
I think photography would be a really fun one! You could even do this with younger kids in the 5-7 age range. You could have everyone go outside and search for a common theme and take pictures of it.

I saw a homeschooling blog where they took pictures of naturally-occuring letter formations, like clouds in the shape of an O and an old metal swing set that from the right angle made an A.

And, since most people have access to a digital camera these days, it wouldn't cost anything for supplies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.