Mothering Forum banner

"So, is it a religious thing?"

827 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  seasiren 
#1 ·
Yes, I was actually asked that today when I answered that I am indeed pregnant and not just refusing to do sit ups.

----------------------
ETA: I will clarify as my post appears confusing to some.

A mom at my kids' school asked if I was pregnant. (she knows I already have three kids)
I said smiling and patting the belly, "yeah, it's not just a lack of sit ups."
She asked, "So, is it a religious thing?" meaning having lots of kids.

this is the first time anyone has said anything that could be interpreted as negative about my having a fourth.

See less See more
#2 ·
What the hell does that mean? Is there some religion that prohibits sit-ups. If so, I know a lot of high school classmates that would have converted had they known.

-Or, is the pregnancy a religious thing?

#6 ·
How many kids do you have? People seem to think it's their perogotive to say something after you have two kids. It's bizarre, really.

I spoke to a mama with a young baby who is expecting #2 and I congratulated her and she said "Thank you. You are the only person who didn't act shocked and disgusted." How sad.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYMama27 View Post
How many kids do you have? People seem to think it's their perogotive to say something after you have two kids. It's bizarre, really.

I spoke to a mama with a young baby who is expecting #2 and I congratulated her and she said "Thank you. You are the only person who didn't act shocked and disgusted." How sad.
three so far.

The comment I got was the first one that was even remotely negative and large families really stick out here.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doberbrat View Post
too bad you couldnt quip back, no its a sex thing. might have made them think twice next time.

some people just cant help themselves.
Well... there are times when it's pretty close to a religious experience!

#16 ·
I have pretty much stopped telling people because of the comments, save for a few great ones. If they find out, that's one thing (the opportunity isn't there for something rude), but if I TELL them it's almost like an open invitation to say something rude.

My standbys for something like that inane question: act stupid/confused ("What do you mean?) but if it's a rude comment, then I'd say, "Nah, you're just supposed to say congratulations."

#18 ·
People say all kinds of weird things to you when you are pregnant.. Maybe you should have said, "yeah actually it is a religious thing, I am trying to populate the world with intelligent kind people not judgmental idiots, there are too many of those around." lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.