Mothering Forum banner

Make friends here!!!!

50K views 1K replies 56 participants last post by  EveAnnemarie 
#1 ·
Welcome everyone and anyone!

We've reinvented ourselves (or rather changed the name, we're still the same
) so if you find yourself unfulfilled in the friendship department, whatever the reason, or just want to chat, COME ON IN!
:

Help me out MittensKittens!

See less See more
#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geigerin View Post
Hello!

I hear this is the spot to make new friends.

herewearetogether- I read your blog. It's lovely. Your children are beautiful. Are you a Waldorf parent? Based on the fairy hunt and toys, I wondered if you might be. Also, are you German, Austrian, or Swiss? Is your spouse? Just curious...I did my study abroad during college in Salzburg, and lived 2 years in northern Germany after school. I would love to have bilingual children, but that's not likely to happen since we're Americans living in the U.S.

How about other folks in this thread? Where is everyone?

Thank you, that is so very sweet of you!

I'm german, i lived in Nordrhein Westfahlen ( don' take my word for the spelling on this!!) near Bielefeld . (some people know it, that's why i mention it.

dh is very british, i met him when i was 16 & an exchange student , we were sitting next to each other in the cinema & i got scared so i took his hand. ( i know,weird, so not like me!) so, that's that

We decided to move to england because we always wanted to homeschool our little ones, & it is illegal in germany.
Sadly he doesn't speak a lot of german yet.

Waldorf, sort of, we have circle times in the morning & before bed, & no plastic toys, (ok, ONE little people prate ship
) we do a lot of painting, finger knitting,sewing & bees wax modeling, but we also have millions of books, which is not very waldorfy. i went to a waldorf kindergarten, which was very lovely, but then went on to a posh traditional school, so i am not sure how waldorf is going to work for us as my little ones grow, but i definitely want nature / seasons based learning.

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Mine lasted for a year but only because I put duck tape all around the area that is prone to break off

thats how my old laptop survived! but sadly it broke completely a few months back, & i have been using dhs mac.

#55 ·
Hiiiiiiiiiiii!

MK: STAAFMIXER. I DON'T believe this, you're Dutch speaking!!?? lol. If you are, for the note: me too.

Ice cream: just made some by hand, overnight. Only I underestimated the time it took for the first freeze so I must admit I spent most of the night asleep instead of stirring on schedule. Anyway, looks like it worked, maybe a little more compact than it should've been, but still soft and creamy enough to scoop out, and no crystals. Recipe with margarine, not cream. Last time I made some fresh strawberry icecream when I had to get rid of over 2kg of strawberries :), with a cream-based recipe and that one was properly mixed but did crystallise and was so hard that it couldnt be scooped at all! I guess it depends on the recipe then, must stick to the good ones.
Often I just freeze a mixture of milk and fresh fruit, or just freesh fruit or fruit juice and freeze into popsicles. The easy way :) And then I do not add any sugar.

Feeding the little big ones: ds2 is now a 3y4m o mommymilkfan
. I loooooove those cuddly milky mother-son(baby) moments. These are actually the only moments I'm truly able to love/cuddle with my very active, very independent, often 'no touch' sensitive special little son, lol.

As for 'creeps'. I get this creepy/uncomfortable feeling about a neighbour who's always overfriendly with little kids and eager to cover them in kisses, loves to offer snacks and have them come to him. His wife is not so bad, we2Re same-age moderatley social with each other, but him... Adding that his teeth look REALLY bad doesn't make the discomfort any less. Trying hard to teach my LOs to not let this be done to them. But the very lo doesn't GET IT. And he doesn't seem to either. Recently fed my lo from his own plate/spoon on his lap
: before I could say 'ba'. Ugh. And I see similar behaviour in his son of about 9 (the kisses). Not normal, is it?
Advice welcome, pls.

Herewerare: ah, TV-free kids in your sig doesn't mean totally screen free, I understand? Like, your lo's can watch a rare video once in a while but you'd like to keep them advertising and cartoon free? Unfortunately I 'failed' on that one after lo 2 was born, and ds1 is really into cartoons, but now I try to let go of it. I just make sure for them to ignore the advertising and to distinguish the 'nice cartoons from the creepy/violent ones, with my help of course. And I honestly do not know what these kids see in spidermen and etc. those give ME the creeps.

Multi-lingual upbringing: doesn't know where it'll bring us with ds2 yet. He doesn't speak that clearly yet at almost 3,5 and it seems like mom and dad are so far the only ones who really do understand him well enough, both cfr. language use and 'mood/character/needs', he also mixes languages a lot and usually DSs speak only the environment language together. Hope it'll turn out as good as with ds 1 who is pretty much 'actively bi-lingual' at this point. He was prett early very well with language, very interested. He also occasionally read words between 2-2,5yo, knew ALL the letters at the time, but it seems that's been a phase here, too, and know he learns all of this and more gradually at 5+. Writes numbers 1-12 but writes most letters he can write (just started) mirror view. Looks very creative :).

'cysoon'

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
Herwerare: ah TV-free kids in your sig doesn't mean totally screen free, I understand? Like, your los can watch a video once in a while but you'd like to keep them advertising and cartoon free? Unfortunately I 'failed' on that one after lo 2 was born, but try to let go of it.

eh. it used to mean completely tv free, but when ds was born i used to let emi watch "little bear" episodes on youtube, but they deleted them about 2 weeks ago, so yesterday i got out my mary poppins dvd & let her watch that.
i do feel so guilty, but at least with dvds i can control exactly what my little ones see.

#60 ·
oh i just had a fright,i thought i had lost dds favourite toy "whitedog" but luckily he was just hiding behind a sofa cushion.
phew.

anyway, shall we all introduce ourselves properly again then?

I'm Miri, SAHM to Emi (almost 3) & George (9 months) , i live on the south coast of england, we unschool using a mix of waldorf & montessori ideas.
I'm married , my dh's name is Anthony

#61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
ernalala- the reason why the strawberry ice cream often crystallizes is because the fruit adds additional water so you have to either reduce the water in the recipe somehow or puree the strawberries
Well, actually I did that, and it was cooked together with the milk and then cream added really no watery substance. The strawberries were even pureed AND strained to a half-fluid fruit paste.

#62 ·
NAK, typing with one hand

Hey ernalala, you speak DUTCH!?!? That's great! I gathered you were from Belgium but wasn't sure which part

Re neighborhood creeps, I have one too. The guy who lives across the hallway from us. He used to tell DD to "shake hands" with him, and wanted to carry her
:. In the end I told him to lay off or I would call the police. This is the shirt story; won't bore you with details, but it worked. He now crosses the street so he doens't have to run into us when he spots us
. The people here have pretty much never heard of keeping your hands to yourself when it comes to kids, which is annoying. But this guy is a Creep with a capital C. I don't know if that is the advice you were looking for but well... it worked!

Geigerin, you shouldn't have to read the old thread
. Perhaps we should all introduce ourselves again. I'm Olivia, expat solo mom by choice of two. And you?

#63 ·
I would LOVE to make ice cream today. Unfortunately, the "staaf mixer" broke, but they still have lots of fresh ice cream for sale here. We might make a trip to the mall just for that.

Ithappened, Austrian? Hahaha....

#66 ·
ernalala- weird! then its vary mysterious to me why it would get crystals

as for ice cream. I got this little under 15 euro ice cream maker off of amazon.de. I don't make ice cream a lot but whenever I crave it (1-2 a month) and its great for that. The only downside is you have th prefreeze the container and our freezer is so small (its like a mini-fridge) that the contrainer pretty much takes up the entire thing.

#67 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by herewearetogether View Post
I'm german, i lived in Nordrhein Westfahlen ( don' take my word for the spelling on this!!) near Bielefeld . (some people know it, that's why i mention it.

dh is very british, i met him when i was 16 & an exchange student , we were sitting next to each other in the cinema & i got scared so i took his hand. ( i know,weird, so not like me!) so, that's that

We decided to move to england because we always wanted to homeschool our little ones, & it is illegal in germany.
Sadly he doesn't speak a lot of german yet.

Waldorf, sort of, we have circle times in the morning & before bed, & no plastic toys, (ok, ONE little people prate ship
) we do a lot of painting, finger knitting,sewing & bees wax modeling, but we also have millions of books, which is not very waldorfy. i went to a waldorf kindergarten, which was very lovely, but then went on to a posh traditional school, so i am not sure how waldorf is going to work for us as my little ones grow, but i definitely want nature / seasons based learning.
Wow! What a small world. I lived in Osnabrueck 2002-2004. I loved it there. It was such a small city, and I could walk everywhere, even to work. I also appreciated the local dialect. It's easy to understand.

So, you and your husband have been together since you were 16?! That's amazing. I imagine you have a very close bond.

I lood forward to getting to know you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Geigerin- My husband is Austrian and we live in Austria (Tirol). I know you weren't asking me but was excited to see someone knew where Austria was (you'd be surprised how often people ask me if I speak "Austrian")
: ROTFLMAO. Sounds like people around here who think 'Mexican' is a language.

Yay, Tirol! Do you like to ski and hike? It is so beautiful there. I keep telling my husband that if we had the opportunity, I'd move back to Salzburg in a second. Of course, I have a list of such places:

*Banff, Alberta, Canada
*Boulder, Colorado
*Block Island, Rhode Island (near my hometown)
*Montreal, Quebec, Canada
*Interlaken, Switzerland

Those are a few favorites, anyway. Montreal is probably most realistic since my parents are only two hours away in northern New Hampshire...Of course, we'd have to learn French.

#69 ·
Woah...this forum moves quickly!

So, let me check:
We have a Dutch mom living in Belgium, an American mom living in Austria, and a German mom living in the UK. Right? That's awesome! (Also, I think I saw a Canadian in the mix...will take me a minute to get names memorized)

As for me, I am an American living in America- a native New Englander living in the midwest. Quite a culture shock, actually. We are TTC #1 and have 2 cats and a Great Dane (uncropped). I'm a private studio teacher on summer break.

#70 ·
Quote:

. Montreal is probably most realistic since my parents are only two hours away in northern New Hampshire...Of course, we'd have to learn French.
Not true! Montreal is a truly bilingual city. You'd have no problems.

#72 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Is George really attached to the toy?
George has got a favourite toy,too . It's a Sigikid cat with red trousers, ummm, looks like this , my cardreader is broken, so i can't show you a nice picture, had to google this one.

Emis is a white dog, i think either steiff or happyhorse.

#74 ·
Quote:

Woah...this forum moves quickly!

So, let me check:
We have a Dutch mom living in Belgium, an American mom living in Austria, and a German mom living in the UK. Right? That's awesome! (Also, I think I saw a Canadian in the mix...will take me a minute to get names memorized)

As for me, I am an American living in America- a native New Englander living in the midwest. Quite a culture shock, actually. We are TTC #1 and have 2 cats and a Great Dane (uncropped). I'm a private studio teacher on summer break.
Sorry if I confused you
... I'm Dutch/American living in Serbia, but we do have a Belgian mom living somewhere else but she'll tell you herself

#75 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by herewearetogether View Post
George has got a favourite toy,too . It's a Sigikid cat with red trousers, ummm, looks like this , my cardreader is broken, so i can't show you a nice picture, had to google this one.

Emis is a white dog, i think either steiff or happyhorse.
That is so cute. Do you ever make your own toys? I noticed you are creative too!

#76 ·
Quote:

Wow! What a small world. I lived in Osnabrueck 2002-2004. I loved it there. It was such a small city, and I could walk everywhere, even to work. I also appreciated the local dialect. It's easy to understand.

yes, it's "proper" german

I still have friends living there, how cool!

Quote:

So, you and your husband have been together since you were 16?! That's amazing. I imagine you have a very close bond.
actually sounds more amazing than it is, i'm still quite young

but, we have a close bond anyway

It was really weird, because , we just both immediately knew that we were made for each other. i know that sounds stupid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.