Mothering Forum banner

baby cots

486 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  User101 
#1 ·
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ns_ikea/10392/

I am not sure if the above link will work, but anyway...
We have rehashed the baby bed issue in this DDC, but I am still not happy with my choices. I think I have come up with something that might work for me. Ikea has baby cribs that (1) are shorter so I can reach into them easier, (2) Can be used for a long time since they convert to toddler beds as well, (3) Are affordable. My question revolves around (4) can be used as a baby cot. This is a three sided crib (the fourth side comes off). I would like to used the three sides low mattress position and push the crib against our bed like a co-sleeper. I was thinking that if I get a bumper to put between our mattress and the baby mattress this would keep the baby from falling through the cracks (so to speak) and I could just reach done and grab s/he for nighttime feedings. During the day, I could use the four sided crib option for naps. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it an incredibly dangerous idea? I think it will work nicely, but I don't want to be naive.

#2 ·
my first thought is do you think it will be easy to take the side on and off everyday for naps? then there is the height issue, will the baby bed line up against your current bed well? the co-sleepers are made for that purpose. if all that works there may be a way to anchor the crib to your bed in a safe way. i know the co-sleepers have a belt that goes under the mattress of the adult bed, it anchors all the way over on the opposite side of the frame to hold it firmly in place.

#3 ·
We have an Ikea crib and i love it (we call them crib's in the united states
)
I am only 5'4" and most cribs were way too high for me to actually reach all the way into, this one is perfect. Plus it converts to a toddler bed later on so we get more use out of it.

i have seen people use them as cosleepers like you mentioned. and they seem to like it.
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/ins...sleeper-044237

#4 ·
My first thought was about putting on and taking off the side every day? I don't know about this one in particular, but I'd be surprised if it's an easy feat to change it twice a day, yk? You might want to go to an ikea and test it out first. OR, use that for a co-sleeper, and have a separate place like a pack n play for daytime naps.

#5 ·
yeah i don't know that constantly setting it up both ways would work or if you would just get fairly annoyed with that.

we got the arm's reach mini co-sleeper (should arrive any day now) and i think i will be really happy with that and then the ikea crib as a nap time and later on bed.

#6 ·
There is a website showing how to attach a regular crib (with the fourth side removed) to a bed for cosleeping. I don't think I'd use a crib as a cosleeper unless it was either firmly attached or wedged tightly between the bed and the wall. Many people just push the crib mattress to butt firmly up against the adult mattress and then put like a swimming pool noodle or something between the other side of the crib mattress and the crib rail on the outside, so the "filler" material isn't something baby is likely to be lying on.

The website is here: http://www.littlewatkins.com/info-sidecar-crib.html

Why do you feel you would want four sides for naps? First, babies don't really roll till 4 months...and if she did, she'd roll onto your bed. After that you could evaluate your options for naps, including the idea that perhaps you would either be bed-sharing by then or baby would be fine in the crib and you could put the fourth side on FT.

Kristine

PS: You mention you're not happy with your choices, but as someone who bought a nice new crib (never been used!), sometimes you don't get to make the choices, baby does!
LOL Our DD has never been able to sleep anywhere that didn't involve touching us. That's why I like the crib-as-cosleeper option...it provides for a range of options from total bedsharing to crib-sleeping in a separate room.

#7 ·
Some good points here. First, you are right I guess I would not need to set up the fourth side for naps until much later. Hopefully by then the crib would be set up permanently. Second, I realize sometimes the baby chooses what they will or will not tolerate and I am certainly flexible, however I still need to make an initial choice so that the newborn has a safe place to be the first night (homebirth here!). I also am trying to avoid buying a $150 co-sleeper AND a $160-$200 crib. I think our bedheight will work, plus the baby mattress height can be adjusted. The crib will be wedged between our bed and the wall, but we can easily harness the crib to the bed if needed. My DH made our bed so it is not "standard" size or height (a little on the low side actually).

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
We have an Ikea crib and i love it (we call them crib's in the united states
)
I am only 5'4" and most cribs were way too high for me to actually reach all the way into, this one is perfect. Plus it converts to a toddler bed later on so we get more use out of it.

i have seen people use them as cosleepers like you mentioned. and they seem to like it.
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/ins...sleeper-044237
The height thing is what initially led me to look into them! Also a shortie (4'11")!

#9 ·
I was just petering around, and if you ever travel, I was some SUPER cheap pack n plays (like $60) that would work for a 4 sided, just in case option. I know we didn't use ours much when our first dd was little, but it has certainly gotten it's $$ worth over the past 7.5 years. (in fact, I am baby heavy this week, so I had a client bring theirs with them and her oldest is only 2.5 and dh commented how much NICER their's is than ours
Things have come a long way and I try not to look bc I like ours just fine, it's just not AS nice, yk?) Anyways, then you could get by with just a co-sleeper and a pack n play....maybe the ikea one would even work!

#10 ·
I love this idea!! We have this crib for our son and wanted to get another for our new baby... it never occurred to me to use it as a co-sleeper...duh, that brilliant. Too bad we just bought an Arm's Reach. I'll keep them both, but I think I will try to crib and maybe try to sell the Arm's reach on craigslist or something if the crib works.
We use Cozy Wedge Bumper bumper in our son's crib and I think it would work as a co-sleeper bumper.

#12 ·
Great stuff here, ladies. DP is building one of these for our LO...that is, a crib with a removable 4th side and we plan to side-car it to our bed. This thread gave me some good things to think about. Thanks.

#13 ·
personally i have a crib for naps cause i don't trust the baby will sleep well with the dog constantly trying to give kisses :p she is a kisser.
so i think it will be good to have a crib for naps and this way i can get some housework done while lo is down....this is of course when i am not sleeping with lo myself.

we got our ikea crib brand new from craigslist and it was cheaper then getting it from the store. i am always seeing co-sleepers there as well so that is something you may want to look into (or just used in general if you don't have something like craigslist) we used gift cards from our baby shower to get our co-sleeper so it all worked out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.