Mothering Forum banner

6/29- 7/5

7K views 89 replies 19 participants last post by  MelW 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've never started a weekly chat here before!

I am back from a trip alone w/ Phoebe up to the bay area. It went great! She was a dream- sleepy and quiet when not sleepy. I had her in the moby wrap pretty much the whole time and we had a private room (it was a dorm). Workshop was good for me too, got me excited to get back to work, lots of positive feedback about my research, fun times meeting other grad students and faculty, and some good ideas for teaching, or at least food for thought.

DS and DH did fine w.out me, though apparently there were no naps and no dinners at home the whole time. Ah well. They did clean up the house and wash Phoebe's dipes on Sunday afternoon before I got home.

Hope the sick babies are better, and I only skimmed the end of last week's thread but it was so cool to see the picture of Sophia snuggling w/ Lindsay and having a bottle! Wow!

-Emma

#2 ·
Go ladies!

This is my second week back to work. It's not all that bad.... as PJ is upstairs in daycare and I go up to nurse him 3X a day! Sure makes the workday fly by.

The ladies in his room adore him and he loves watching the other kids.

He also has, of course, got his first cold. Almost immediately. I knew it was coming when I went in (the first day) to find him in a swing with a little "pillow" in front of him that he was chomping and drooling on. I went so far as to ask that when they put him down in the swing, on the floor, etc that they put one of his blankets down first. I brought in some of his own toys that I leave in his crib.... but they sometimes end up on the floor and other kids play with them - I know I can't keep him away from the kids and other germs completely, but I would like to limit his exposure. LOL.

His cold is mostly just a super stuffy/runny nose - which, of course, is far worse at night. Which means he's not sleeping as well as usual - which means I'm not either! He's a trooper though... still smiling and being all cutesy in the am.

I'm having the hardest time transitioning to being a working mom and taking care of all the chores at home as well. I find that I HAVE to go to bed by 10:30pm in order to function every day. The 45 minutes commute to work didn't seem like much of a big deal when it was just me commuting. But now with PJ it's a lot L O N G E R. Get home, cook dinner, clean up, feed baby, bath time, get in jammies, feed baby, put baby to bed, fold laundry, put laundry away...... all in 4 hours. I KNOW all you mommas feel my stress! I am approaching the "talk" with DH to get him on board to help out a bit more.

okay... need to get some work done...

have a great week everyone!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2be_k View Post
Get home, cook dinner, clean up, feed baby, bath time, get in jammies, feed baby, put baby to bed, fold laundry, put laundry away...... all in 4 hours. I KNOW all you mommas feel my stress! I am approaching the "talk" with DH to get him on board to help out a bit more.
I struggle with this in my house too. DH thinks he helps out "a lot"- he fully *intends* to help out, but guess who does everything or has to have the job of delegating??

what tends to work better for us is when he has some things that he knows are his job (dishes... we don't have a washer... vacuuming, etc.). Also for me to be really, really clear and specific about things I need help with (otherwise he seems perfectly able to think I am just sailing along handling it all w/ no problem). Maybe there are things your DH can do at the same time as you (one person does bath and jammies, the other cleans up, etc). That might buy you a little "me" time (or, gasp, "couple time") at the end of the day. I hope you can have a good talk about it and figure out some new routines that are more equitable.

But its so great that the daycare is in your building!

#5 ·
Sigh...Eden is becoming very opinionated about the speed at which the milk leaves my body. We had a little hour long scream fest this morning before i turned on her fav cd and stuck her in the swing, which decided not to work. So I finally got her rocked to sleep and came in and saw the swing going like crazy...?? Well, she's in it now and hopefully the motor isn't giving out. She's only about 14 lbs and the limit is supposedly 25. Anyway, she wants a trickle and I have a waterfall...so we have a nursing strike and a rather engorged mama. I try to let it spray out onto a towel like everyone recommends, but once the breast has offended it is OUT. And when we switch to the other side it eventually does the same thing. Sigh.

#6 ·
I didn't read that article yet Emma - but what a great concept
!

Kim - so awesome that you have daycare in your building. That would make transitioning back that much easier I'd think.

We had a good weekend here. We had two parties to go to and Cooper was a big hit at both. The downside is that DH has been sick all week and I just got it too
:. I was REALLY hoping I'd be lucky and not get it but sure enough - I feel like crap today. We are spending the whole day relaxing and I am going to drink as many fluids as possible in the hopes of healing very quickly!!!!

#8 ·
Just quick post...gotta finish making shower invites and birthday pillows!

Went to MW this morning. I most likely do have yeast in breast but doesn't look like LO has thrush (yay!) So am using infant probiotics mixed into a paste with BM and put on my breast and also a little in her mouth, and rinsing with vinegar water after nursing, taking 6 probiotic capsules a day, and echenacia and tea tree oil vag suppositories just in case! No sugar or dairy.WHEW!

Anyway went to MW to talk to MW that birthed us and was so glad I did...got some closure bout birth...you can read aboaut it in my blog later when I write it!

Emma: so glad it went well!!!
Kate: So sorry, might have to try block feeding again? I've been letting LO empty one breast at each feeding then offer the other but usually she doesn't take it so I pump it out if needed...sometimes too much BM is not always good!

mamaK: sorry bout the cold but so GREAT about being able to BF at work and check on LO!!!!!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Kate: So sorry, might have to try block feeding again? I've been letting LO empty one breast at each feeding then offer the other but usually she doesn't take it so I pump it out if needed...sometimes too much BM is not always good!

Well, the block feeding (even when I was doing three hour stretches) never completely got rid of the problem. I have a feeling that she is just transitioning to a longer stretch in between nursing sessions and we're both adjusting. I suppose that's a really good thing if that's what it is, because that will mean she can go longer between feeds when I go back to work. She woke up from her nap pretty happy around 11 o'clock and then we played a bit and had a shower and she nursed back to sleep (after some fussing and me hand expressing onto a towel) around 12:15. She's waking now.

#10 ·
Kate, I hope your supply regulates soon! With Neela my oversupply got much better around three months, and I know several other women who have had similar timeframes.

Shine, glad you had a good mw appointment and I hope the thrush resolves quickly.

Emma, glad the conference went well.

Michelle, get well soon!

I got to meet dawncayden's Lucas today! He is so lovely and smiley

#11 ·
Oh and... Phoebe finally got approved for health insurance so starting July 2 she is on Healthy Families (state health insurance). Now fingers crossed that our state legislature doesn't cut the program! We have literally never taken either kid to the dr other than routine well-baby checks, but its horrible to think of having to forgo care if they needed it. It is a big relief for us.

#13 ·
momma2b - I'm sure the transition back to working life is difficult and that it is difficult to find a way to split chores and caring for the child. I hope for you that you figure out a way soon. And, so cool that the child care place is in the same building!

kate, hope the supply issues get better soon. Feeding issues are just so annoying.

emma, glad the conference went well and thanks for posting the link to the article. That is good news! Oh and congrats on Phoebe's insurance; that must be a relief.

shine, sorry to hear about the yeast infection.

Here, more rain. I honestly can't believe that this continues. We've had about 4 days without rain this month. It's starting to wear me down. To make things worse, I think I have an ear infection (I tend to get those during the summer) and I have a milk blister on my nipple. No idea if it is bad latch or what; DS has been relatching frequently while being very squirmy when nursing. So, I'm back to working on his latch to make sure it does not get worse.

#14 ·
Emma, glad your trip went so well! It must feel nice to get some new inspiration for work-related things, and have all the baby-related things going well too.

momma2be_k, good luck getting DH on board to take more responsibility around the house. I do not understand why most men don't just look around to see what needs to be done, and then do it. Sigh.

Kate, sorry you're continuing to have oversupply issues. I don't have any suggestions, but I hope someone does. I guess if you're going to have supply issues, it's better to have oversupply than not enough milk...

Michelle, I hope you feel better soon!

Shine, good luck conquering the evil yeasties, and I'm glad you had a good MW appt!

As for me, DH is back from his trip and is taking the whole week off from working to hang out with us. My best friend spent the last week with me and seems to be head over heels for River. She's always said she doesn't want kids, which is of course completely a valid life choice, but I secretly wish she wanted to be a mom. She seems to be wavering a bit after spending time around River. Maybe I'll just have to let her hold Riv while she falls asleep a few more times. Not that I'd be sneaky at all.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
As for me, DH is back from his trip and is taking the whole week off from working to hang out with us.
that is so nice. I am secretly hoping DH has some time on unemployment this fall to be around more- and to help w. childcare when I go back to fulltime, and to finish his degree... 2 or 3 months would be fine with me (esp since his UE check isn't that much less than the regular one). We really miss him and I miss having some family time. We are foregoing a family vacation of any sort together this summer which is sad for us all. We have 2 family trips planned in late Oct and mid-Dec and that will have to count for it, oh well.

#16 ·
Emma - We have HF here too and it really is a great program, a bit*h to apply for, but easy once youre in! They had a wait list for a while, but Ive heard that they are safe for the next year or so. We had to take dd1 to the ER a few months ago for an ear infection on a friday night and a 15 min visit was 700 dollars. We dont do well baby visits normally but for times like that its worth all the paperwork!

Kate - I think I kust saw a thread on Breastfeeding Challenges last week or so about hyper-supply and overactive letdown, maybe theres some advise there?

momma2bk - i feel ya on the chores and not having the time. I remember when I went back to work when dd1 was 2 and it was SOOO physically and mentally exhausting.

Michanders - Did I see pics of Cooper a the beach on FB? Im so jealous of all you mommas and the close by beaches!!!

shine - I hope that you caught the yeast in time and it goes away quickly and doesnt spread further. Cant wait to read about your chat with MW, Im having some closure issues as well.

melw - you met dawn and lucas?! LUCKY!!! This is very exciting that some of us have been able to meet IRL.

fairymom -

Fisch - Ugh, I would LOVE to trade you weather! I hope you DONT have an earache, are you going to the doc soon? From what I remember reading about milk blisters, arent they random? hers some info I found http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

bohdi - That is so great that your dh can stay home with you guys!!! I know what you mean about wanting BFF to want kids. I keep sending mine pics of Sophia being ultra-cute, in hopes it will spark something.

Im melting...MELTING!!!! The heat is crazy here, good thing I spend 9 hrs in the hospital!

Sophia took a 15 cc bottle today! ("full feeds" is considered 75cc)Ive noticed that she really likes to be man-handled. When shes done eating I hit her back pretty hard to burp her and she falls asleep! Im so nervous, Im not very smooth when I do things to her and she never cries.

She is better and better every day. They have just finished transitioning her meds from all IV to all by mouth so that she can go home eventually. (no estimate yet though) The shoulder dystocia caused a "palsy" in her wrists, which makes them limp, so she is being fitted for a wrist sling that shell have to wear a couple hrs a day. Its normally corrected in a year, so no big deal. For having had so many problems, this little baby has the BEST attitude though. ANd I guess this really isnt a problem, its just a muscle tone thing.

Today I was kissing her a bunch and she was LOVING it. She was smiling so big and it was clearly from the kisses! After that, I gave her her first bath bath in a tub!!! She was stunned speechless and of course cried when we took her out.

They also put her in a papasan swing the other day and I think SHE thinks shes found paradise. She stays in there ALL day and cries if you take her out. The best part? Its the EXACT swing we bought for her 6 months ago!!! We lucked out with that!!!

Ok, Im going to change and go back to the hospital so I can feed her and snuggle with her for a while. Stay cool (or dry!) guys!

#17 ·
Lindsay, i love to hear all this awesome news from you! i'm sure she gets her awesome attitude from her mama! i've been wondering how she's maintained her weight thru all this?

Fishk, sorry about the earache & blister

bodhitree--
: for dh!!
for recruiting you bff

my roommate today asked me how drinking beer went with bfing...I said "great".

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
shine - I hope that you caught the yeast in time and it goes away quickly and doesnt spread further. Cant wait to read about your chat with MW, Im having some closure issues as well.
Lindsay I can imagine you are having closure issues! My birth was not even close to traumatic...It just got off on the wrong foot due to the mean nurse and I didn't have mobility due to the moniters/fluids, even with that little bit it really did affect me emotionally for the first month, I hope you can find closure or at least peace with what happened!

melw - you met dawn and lucas?! LUCKY!!! This is very exciting that some of us have been able to meet IRL.
What?! I missed this...another meeting IRL...When is it my turn????

Today I was kissing her a bunch and she was LOVING it. She was smiling so big and it was clearly from the kisses!
I picture you giving those sweet mama kisses!
!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
EShine, good luck conquering the evil yeasties, and I'm glad you had a good MW appt!
BM + infant probiotic=miricle yeast fighting cream!!!!!
I've been so sore for 2 weeks, one day with that cream and the pain is gone!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Well, the block feeding (even when I was doing three hour stretches) never completely got rid of the problem. I have a feeling that she is just transitioning to a longer stretch in between nursing sessions and we're both adjusting. I suppose that's a really good thing if that's what it is, because that will mean she can go longer between feeds when I go back to work. She woke up from her nap pretty happy around 11 o'clock and then we played a bit and had a shower and she nursed back to sleep (after some fussing and me hand expressing onto a towel) around 12:15. She's waking now.
Bummer that block feeding didnt work...it slowed it down for mine though every once ina while I need to do it again for a few feedings...hope it gets better

#19 ·
Another one here that loves reading Sophia updates!

Anyone else losing their hair already?
: I seem to remember this phase being later with the girls, but DS is 9 weeks so I guess it is just time. I realized it yesterday when I expressed twice and both time had to pull hair out of my milk.
I lost so much hair with DD2, I'm hoping it isn't that much this time. And that is quicker, I was still losing handfuls when she was 9 months old.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wobblykate View Post
Lindsay, i love to hear all this awesome news from you! i'm sure she gets her awesome attitude from her mama! i've been wondering how she's maintained her weight thru all this?

Eh. The weight is a funny thing.
When she was born, she was SOOOO swollen and began to lose water weight but because she was on fluids and IV vitamin mix, and thinned out. Well, then she was about 10lbs going into heart surgery, swelled back up again from the crazy fluids they gave her and went back up to 11.5 (birth weight).
Then she lost THAT weight and went down to 10lbs and is currently gaining 5 to 20ish grams a day, a good gain for heart babies. So NOW she is around 10.15. The docs arent worried because her body and head are growing how they should and shes getting enough nutrients. She even has reflux and throws up a lot (most heart babies do) and is still not losing any weight.

As for the reflux, I have been telling the docs for WEEKs that I suspect she has it, after watching that video on one of your guys blogs. Then last night I was told shes been on Zantac for 4 days after a reflux test, and no one told me! I KNEW it! DH said some doctor must have wanted to take the credit, darnit!
At least shell get some relief!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post
that is so nice. I am secretly hoping DH has some time on unemployment this fall to be around more- and to help w. childcare when I go back to fulltime, and to finish his degree... 2 or 3 months would be fine with me (esp since his UE check isn't that much less than the regular one). We really miss him and I miss having some family time. We are foregoing a family vacation of any sort together this summer which is sad for us all. We have 2 family trips planned in late Oct and mid-Dec and that will have to count for it, oh well.
I actually had to make DH take this week off from working--he's a typical mathematician who will get really wrapped up in math and forget that anything else exists, so sometimes I have to gently remind him to take a break. I forget, what does your DH do? I hope you get some nice family time soon.

Lindsay, your stories about giving Sophia lots of kisses and how much she loves her swing are just so sweet. I'm so glad that she's continuing to improve.

Shine, DH and I are from the Midwest and are planning an epic Midwest roadtrip next summer. I'm sure we'll be coming through Iowa, so maybe you and I can meet up IRL!

I'm having a weird pain deep in my right breast. I think maybe it's a clogged duct? I'm worried I'm going to get mastitis again, so for today I'll be applying hot compresses and trying to get LO to empty that side as much as possible.

I have to go try to cut my hair before DH and LO emerge from the bedroom. It's been a long time, and I'm starting to get shaggy.

#25 ·
We have an easy set pool - is that what you have Nancy?? I'm getting ready to hop in mine!

Are any other LO's losing their hair?? I seem to be keeping mine, but Cooper has so many bald spots!!

Kate - too funny about the beer

#26 ·
I just have an inflatable whale... >.<
Complete with blowhole sprinkler thing.
Too bad, Zack has no clue about it yet.
The water is cold and he already screamed when I put his foot in.
He's just like me.

Zack is very active today. He slept almost all night long, except I woke him up to untangle him from the swaddle and change his diaper. Then, of course, he was hungry.
I think he would have made it from 10pm to 6am if I hadn't bothered.

I'm glad I did, though, he has a rash from the wet diaper. We usually get him into an AIO when we go to sleep, but he was dry at that point and we didn't want to wake him.

So, now I have to try and get rid of that before the doctor's appointment on Thursday.

blah blah blah

PS: He started talking a lot more yesterday with "agoo." I'm waiting for him to ask for steak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.