Mothering Forum banner

Happy, post 4th Chat

22K views 829 replies 29 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
Join us if you are new in the Allergy forum. Here we just talk about all things allergies and MORE. Everyone welcome to chime in, ponder, whine or chat. (this is the catchall thread for the mamas supporting each other through their allergy journey)

What is on your mind?

Here are some old threads to chew on (allergen free). But, they might make you crazy-(ier).

We started off with:
whoMe's MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals
and then it started taking over.
We have:
changing seasons' "I'm done with food trials"
whoMe's methyl-what now? huh?
whoMe's detox guinea pig
Tanya's avoidance vs not discussion
whoMe's histamine and dopamine
whoMe's Detox while breastfeeding
Tanya's clay and allergies and gut health
my Detox, HTG, HCl and candida
neveryoumindthere's Do this, do that thread
Changing Season's Nancy Drew thread

Don't know where your question or Ah-ha! will fit, it'll fit here! Celebrations welcome too!!
:

Pat

See less See more
#102 ·
No, the oats weren't certified GF, and we had been fooling around with gluten occasionally.

It does seem like the right combo of changes. I forgot to mention that she's started sleeping in until 10 or 11 EVERY day.

So how long do I stick to this course? When and what do I decide to re-add?

#103 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
You guys... when did we make these recent changes to our diet? 8 days ago? What did we switch up? We quit oats (and all grains except rice), all dairy, all nuts and seeds except for peanuts and walnuts, and garlic. And we had a CST session.

Taslyn has gained 8/10 of a pound since then, and is eating enough off my plate that I'm getting hungry and have to find more food. Until now, I've never seen her gain more than 1/4 pound in a week, and usually its more like 1/4 pound a month.

So what made the difference? I know CST is HUGE for Taslyn. It makes a really big difference for her. But what else?
That's amazing!!! Yeah- probably the dairy & CST. I would stick with the dairy-free for a couple weeks and then do a trial and see how she does. Hooray for weight gain!!
:

#105 ·
Lisa,
So glad to hear about the progress!
:
Also, could you link me to your vitamin tea again? And I'm assuming it's safe while nursing? I'm trying to get a list together of what I need to get at the herb shop when I make it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jacqueline, I'm sorry you don't have a local place, that would drive me nuts. Do you at least have natural beauty? I have flatness (and heat and humidity).
:
I had to re-read this a couple of times. At first, I was like "Do *I* have natural beauty? Well... No. And even if I did, it would be pretty conceited of me to say so, wouldn't it?"

It's gorgeous where I live- full of big trees, sand dunes, mountains and you can hear the ocean from my yard. And we did have a HFS but the owner hadn't been well for quite some time (she has a few autoimmune disorders, I believe). After the HFS closed, a co-op opened and sort of took over some of the HFS's business and some was taken over by a local organic bakery/restaurant, also the herb store I mentioned above. The only real "loss" was the community of the HFS (though that's somewhat been replaced by the co-op as well) and the supplements (and of course the knowledge). I am hoping that our new, local pharmacy may carry some of the supplements but I'm not holding my breath. Well, I suppose that's not entirely true. With the co-op we *do* have to plan ahead and order things so it's not like we can just pop down to the HFS and pick it up, although there are some things where we can do that since they also sell organic produce...
Anyway, I was going to say too, about the potato salad recipe you use... When I first made it and tasted it, all I could think is how good it would taste with cilantro. Which reminded me to say that that totally messes me up. I hadn't ever had cilantro before a few years ago, except in the form of coriander, and I LOVE it... which sucks because now I know it's not good for me b/c of my fillings and all I can think about is cilantro... Did I mention I love it?
I want to make a big batch of salsa and put like a whole bunch (literally) of cilantro in it....
Now I'm curious. Going to look up what cilantro is high in. I keep wondering if my body's craving it for a nutrient or for it's detox capabilities.

#106 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Did I mention I love it?
I want to make a big batch of salsa and put like a whole bunch (literally) of cilantro in it....
Now I'm curious. Going to look up what cilantro is high in. I keep wondering if my body's craving it for a nutrient or for it's detox capabilities.
Botanically speaking, cilantro is in the same family as fennel, dill, celery, cumin, parsnips and carrots.

Be careful using a lot of cilantro though... it has a tendency to develop a "soapy" taste if you use too much with mild flavored ingredients.

#107 ·
OMG.
Seriously.
According to WHFoods, cilantro/coriander seeds are a good source of...wait for it (though I'm sure you've all guessed by now)....
MANGANESE.

Could the powers that be just hit me over the head with a big manganese hammer or what?

Oh and, I doubt that's a problem with me, hapamama... I was munching on it straight while making salsa before I found out about it's detox effects. I made salsa with a "normal" amount of cilantro for everyone else then doled some into a bowl for me and added about as much to mine as I had added to all of theirs.
Stupid manganese.

ETA: Oh yeah and here's an interesting little tidbit that Kathy may be interested in which I've found in a few places online:
Coriander has been found to provide effective protection against urinary tract infections.

#111 ·
Quote:

Cilantro. Yum. I've been dosing on manganese pills for a couple weeks now. I'm surprised by how often I need it.

Here's the link you asked for JR... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/...728d6691_b.jpg
Thanks, Lisa!

On a totally unrelated note, I've been getting back into "my" music lately. (DH hates my taste in music... I love dance. He doesn't mind so much if it's electronica type dance though.) Anyway, I've been totally obsessed with the Black Eyed Peas song "Boom Boom Pow" and really get a kick out of the one line "Beat so big, I'm stepping on leprechauns, all get hit with the BOOM BOOM." I'm hoping it'll help me get a little bit back in shape now that Marius is here because I can't help but dance when I'm listening to it. But yeah... any other "dance" mamas in this group? (I did ballet, jazz, hip hop, interpretive, and cheer dance when I was younger....)

#112 ·
Quote:

No, the oats weren't certified GF, and we had been fooling around with gluten occasionally.

It does seem like the right combo of changes. I forgot to mention that she's started sleeping in until 10 or 11 EVERY day.

I want to add a WOW to my earlier response - it's amazing to see that that kind of growth is even possible!

How do you feel about what you're eating? I'd be tempted to keep it up until T is totally caught up on all her growing, but we have a bad habit of losing everything we gained by messing with a good thing.

Dh hates cilantro. HATES it with a passion. He wants to get an anti-cilantro tshirt. If you find anything else special about it, I'm all ears.

JR, as I'm lying awake and my mind is wandering, I'm curious. Have you tried molybdenum yet? Miss kids react to eggs and colors/preservatives and hg while pg?

And on a more serious note, anyone have any links on brainwashing?

#113 ·
Quote:

You guys... when did we make these recent changes to our diet? 8 days ago? What did we switch up? We quit oats (and all grains except rice), all dairy, all nuts and seeds except for peanuts and walnuts, and garlic. And we had a CST session.

Taslyn has gained 8/10 of a pound since then, and is eating enough off my plate that I'm getting hungry and have to find more food. Until now, I've never seen her gain more than 1/4 pound in a week, and usually its more like 1/4 pound a month.

So what made the difference? I know CST is HUGE for Taslyn. It makes a really big difference for her. But what else?
That is totally awesome. We might have to give up oats & grains.

#114 ·
Quote:

I'd stay the course until she's about 18.

#115 ·
MtnMama, could you keep monitoring T's growth and once it seems like she's levelled off and hit a more steady-state growth rate, then start experimenting? It seems like some nuts or seeds at that point, and eventually try dairy, and gluten is the devil, would be my assumptions. But that last part if me coming from the point of thinking it's likely we'll be completely GF for at least another 5 years, I just don't know when I'd have confidence that we've all really healed enough that it wouldn't do subtle, insidious things to us. And I need to get past my lazy tendencies, because if Friday Night Papa John's pizza were an option, we'd probably still do it, even knowing that there's no nutrition and lotsa weird chemicals in it.
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

No, I don't really know anything.
Sounds stressful, concerned about someone?

Jacqueline, sorry for the confusion, I guess I am a bit too obsessed with our location. It's funny, I recently talked with someone who really feels the Houston area is beautiful and fascinating, he really likes it here. And I was really glad for him, because I'm not really there, especially since it hasn't been below 70F for more than a month now (I mean even at night), so we're living completely under the A/C now.

#116 ·
Ladies,

I need a pep talk. We just had an awful 4 days. Multiple night wakings, bad poop, endless nursing. Plus I think my supply is tanking since I was sick back a couple of weeks ago. And we cannot find that loving feeling again. I just don't know what to do. My DH is reluctant to remove any of the few foods that DS will eat. And I think he's no longer on the charts. And we don't have any "big guns" left to eliminate. We're now dairy, gluten, corn, nuts & soy free. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this out. And this past week all I've wanted to do is cry all the time. I can't seem to get a grip.

#117 ·
Quote:

I don't think it's so much about being low in biotin as would extra do you some good? And from my reading, anyone with inflammation would likely benefit. I started with 5mg, cause that's what was available in the local hfs.

I think cs is on to something with her arrowroot in the coconut ice cream... My blackberry is coming out kinda grainy, too. Next time I'll try adding some tapioca or rice flour. cs, did you cook the arrowroot at all?
I mix the tapioca in with some of the coconut milk, and then add it to the warm coconut milk-sugar-flavor mixture, and it thickens it. Mine still freezes too hard if you don't eat all of it right out of the ice cream freezer though. I still have to use up more of my freezer stuff to get room for my ice cream freezer. Y'all need to stop talking about ice cream!

Quote:

Whenever I've removed allergens from the kids diets, and they actually had good sleep, they've had big growth spurts, which I think are their way of catching up (growth hormone is released during sleep, after all). I think it's a combination of the CST doing good things and removing the trigger foods. I'd keep it like that for a few months at least before I added anything back, but I like sleep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
Botanically speaking, cilantro is in the same family as fennel, dill, celery, cumin, parsnips and carrots.

Be careful using a lot of cilantro though... it has a tendency to develop a "soapy" taste if you use too much with mild flavored ingredients.
Cilantro tastes like vomit to me. I've always thought it was extremely gross when people put it in salsa. Blech. It smells bad and tastes bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
ETA: Oh yeah and here's an interesting little tidbit that Kathy may be interested in which I've found in a few places online:
Coriander has been found to provide effective protection against urinary tract infections.
Does coriander taste like cilantro? I'll have to start looking for recipes that have coriander in it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ladies,

I need a pep talk. We just had an awful 4 days. Multiple night wakings, bad poop, endless nursing. Plus I think my supply is tanking since I was sick back a couple of weeks ago. And we cannot find that loving feeling again. I just don't know what to do. My DH is reluctant to remove any of the few foods that DS will eat. And I think he's no longer on the charts. And we don't have any "big guns" left to eliminate. We're now dairy, gluten, corn, nuts & soy free. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this out. And this past week all I've wanted to do is cry all the time. I can't seem to get a grip.
Have you been keeping a food journal? What changed 2 weeks ago when you were sick.... Aren't you in Boston? Just drive over and go on our diet. I'll keep her while you sleep. Sunshine and the lake will cure you. C'mon. I'll cook for you.

I want to bake something. I want flaky yummy cinnamon buns, or a cinnamon donut. Something. And I'm not in the mood for smelling something good while it's baking and then having it come out blechy. Anyone got a good baked good made with nothin' but air?

#118 ·
You guys are cracking me up with the cilantro discussion!
DP loves cilantro- I think he would eat it every day if he had the choice.

Quote:

No, sorry.

Quote:

Jacqueline, sorry for the confusion, I guess I am a bit too obsessed with our location. It's funny, I recently talked with someone who really feels the Houston area is beautiful and fascinating, he really likes it here. And I was really glad for him, because I'm not really there, especially since it hasn't been below 70F for more than a month now (I mean even at night), so we're living completely under the A/C now.
I had to read that a few times too.
Yikes. I've only visited Houston, but I didn't notice ANYTHING beautiful about it. No offense.

Quote:

Ladies,

Big
I wish I knew what to suggest.

#119 ·
Quote:

Ladies,

That bold part? That's the last thing you should feel, you've explored a ton of options for what the heck is going on with you, your daughter and your son, and it took a lot of questioning and perseverence to figure out that likely the lead and the copper, and whatever the heck they've thrown out of whack in your bodies (plus just being there) is the problem. That's huge, that's _not_normal_ not by any stretch. Dealing with kids who feel bad, while you feel bad, and having to go down 80-zillion paths to figure this out, that's a huge gift to them. You've done really good. You _will_ get this all sorted out, and get all of you healthy. You will. Hooking up with a great HCP, or maybe a combination of several, you'll do this.

In terms of problem-solving... have you added any of your supps back in? Do you think that removing some of them could've been part of you starting to feel bad? I always had a hard time, being in the middle of things, figuring out, do I feel bad because I'm exhausted and frustrated, or did I start feeling bad (physically) and that's adding to the pre-existing exhaustion and frustration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Cilantro tastes like vomit to me. I've always thought it was extremely gross when people put it in salsa. Blech. It smells bad and tastes bad.

Does coriander taste like cilantro? I'll have to start looking for recipes that have coriander in it...

Coriander is the seed of the plant, cilantro is the leaves, and they taste nothing alike, so you're set. So if it's related to fennel, dill, and all that, it should work really well with carrots, I wonder if parsnips are in the same family?

Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I had to read that a few times too.
Yikes. I've only visited Houston, but I didn't notice ANYTHING beautiful about it. No offense.

I won't take offense, between the affirmations and the networking, I'm doing everything I can think of to get us out of here!

Oh, and today I made our first green (ha!) smoothie. Interesting. Needs some refinement. About 2 cups kale leaves, juice from 4 oranges (I think about 1 cup), 3/4 of a bag of frozen cherries, and 1/4 c coconut oil. After I whizzed it up, it looked like a chocolate mousse type of dessert (lots of air whipped in, and the mix turned out decidedly brown), and that seems really unfair. It doesn't taste bad, exactly, though the little pieces of kale are not wonderful, I can't tell if I just need to do it more to love it more, or tweak it a bit, or something. DS sipped a couple times and told me done, DD stuck it out a bit longer and consumed a bit more, but about half of the concoction is left. Strange, just strange.

#120 ·
Quote:

That bold part? That's the last thing you should feel, you've explored a ton of options for what the heck is going on with you, your daughter and your son, and it took a lot of questioning and perseverence to figure out that likely the lead and the copper, and whatever the heck they've thrown out of whack in your bodies (plus just being there) is the problem. That's huge, that's _not_normal_ not by any stretch. Dealing with kids who feel bad, while you feel bad, and having to go down 80-zillion paths to figure this out, that's a huge gift to them. You've done really good. You _will_ get this all sorted out, and get all of you healthy. You will. Hooking up with a great HCP, or maybe a combination of several, you'll do this.

In terms of problem-solving... have you added any of your supps back in? Do you think that removing some of them could've been part of you starting to feel bad? I always had a hard time, being in the middle of things, figuring out, do I feel bad because I'm exhausted and frustrated, or did I start feeling bad (physically) and that's adding to the pre-existing exhaustion and frustration.

Ditto. I can't imagine going through this in stereo, dealing with two sick kids at once. You are a superhero. Did you get anything out of the energetic healing experiment?

#121 ·
Quote:

I want to bake something. I want flaky yummy cinnamon buns, or a cinnamon donut. Something. And I'm not in the mood for smelling something good while it's baking and then having it come out blechy. Anyone got a good baked good made with nothin' but air?
Dh has no issues with coriander, despite the cilantro (and parsley) hatred.

I've been frying my pancakes in the morning, in lots and lots of ghee. I think if I tweaked it, it could easily become donuts or funnelcake. And the batter is really good with cinnamon added.

chlobo, go update your about me
I'll see if anything jumps out...

#122 ·
So, for biotin Shannon started with 5mg because that was what was available. If I order online, everything is available. What would you order if you were me?

Quote:

Lilya, the zinc sulfate taste test worked for me (google oral zinc tally test), Solgar lozenges are zinc sulfate too and are supposed to work, I _still_ need to buy some to re-check myself. I'd say 20-30mg isn't unreasonable to start with though.
I googled zinc sulfate, and got super confused. I saw lots of different things marketed for different purposes, and didn't know which to order.

Quote:

I used to. I'll have to dig in my saved stuff.

Quote:

I've been frying my pancakes in the morning, in lots and lots of ghee. I think if I tweaked it, it could easily become donuts or funnelcake. And the batter is really good with cinnamon added.

Which pancake recipe is this?

#124 ·
For adults, it seems like the effective doses for biotin (if you've got inflammation and/or candida issues) are in the 5-15mg range, at least that's my impression. I'm taking 16mg, two of Thorne's 8mg biotin capsules, per day. I started it when I was taking a lot to deal with die-off, which I saw with my daughter (but was also giving extra supps so she felt okay), and I'm giving her 8mg. FWIW.

Let me see if I can find the zinc sulfate that I want to order....
Argh, having trouble, will need to get back to it later.
: I _thought_ I knew, but now I'm struggling.

whoMe--did you have a zinc sulfate solution? Where'd you get it?

And as a stand-along zinc supp, I think Thorne's zinc picolinate, either the regular at 15mg or the double strength 30mg version, is a pretty good bet.

I am horrible about keeping track of threads.

#125 ·
Quote:

I was going to say the gluten dairy combo + CST...I'd stay off for a long long time--but that's me! (And probably not what you want to hear)

Quote:

Ladies,

Chlobo, you are doing so much! Hang in there!

Quote:

It's funny, I recently talked with someone who really feels the Houston area is beautiful and fascinating, he really likes it here. And I was really glad for him, because I'm not really there, especially since it hasn't been below 70F for more than a month now (I mean even at night), so we're living completely under the A/C now.
Even at night? We are in the 100's here during the day, but we cool of a bit at night--thankfully, we're rural and don't have ALL that blacktop to soak in the heat...

Quote:

I LOVE cilantro! We put tons in our salsa! (Come on over, JR!)

I accidentally put too much oil in the pan when I was making Gregg's pancakes and they fried up really well! I told DH if we sweetened them a bit, they'd make for great donut-like treat! The problem is that I want them that way for breakfast...I did banana nut...and they would be great with chocolate syrup over them!
:

Quote:

Oh, and today I made our first green (ha!) smoothie. Interesting. Needs some refinement. About 2 cups kale leaves, juice from 4 oranges (I think about 1 cup), 3/4 of a bag of frozen cherries, and 1/4 c coconut oil. After I whizzed it up, it looked like a chocolate mousse type of dessert (lots of air whipped in, and the mix turned out decidedly brown), and that seems really unfair. It doesn't taste bad, exactly, though the little pieces of kale are not wonderful, I can't tell if I just need to do it more to love it more, or tweak it a bit, or something. DS sipped a couple times and told me done, DD stuck it out a bit longer and consumed a bit more, but about half of the concoction is left. Strange, just strange.
I haven't departed from spinach yet--it's so mild and blends so well...maybe add a bit more liquid?

Quote:

Dh has no issues with coriander, despite the cilantro (and parsley) hatred.

Yup!

Quote:

Yeah, a kid can have adrenal issues, esp if mom had them while pg - mom can actually lean on baby's cortisol production in the third trimester

Yikes!
I wonder if the mag tested bad because of the mercury, not the actual mag? We have NOW mag citrate powder, too, I should try it again. It doesn't dissolve well in cold water, and it doesn't taste sour like the natural calm does. It does make lemonade taste more like gatorade, though.

You know, that's exactly what I was wondering...my HFS is ordering in the NOW mag this week...

Sugar/insulin fuels inflammation (honey less so). Sugar also messes with your mineral balance, especially serum calcium and phosphorus...

She lost all sugars except raw local honey--which was funny, because we only used honey, maple syrup and the ocassional fructose. My reactive hypoglycemia has gotten a bit better since I've been supping my adrenals, which is what made me wonder about adrenals for her...I think she deals with hypoglycemia tendencies, too. Poor kid, just got slammed with both DH and my weak points...

#126 ·
Quote:

For adults, it seems like the effective doses for biotin (if you've got inflammation and/or candida issues) are in the 5-15mg range, at least that's my impression. I'm taking 16mg, two of Thorne's 8mg biotin capsules, per day. I started it when I was taking a lot to deal with die-off, which I saw with my daughter (but was also giving extra supps so she felt okay), and I'm giving her 8mg. FWIW.

Let me see if I can find the zinc sulfate that I want to order....
Argh, having trouble, will need to get back to it later.
: I _thought_ I knew, but now I'm struggling.

whoMe--did you have a zinc sulfate solution? Where'd you get it?

And as a stand-along zinc supp, I think Thorne's zinc picolinate, either the regular at 15mg or the double strength 30mg version, is a pretty good bet.

I am horrible about keeping track of threads.

I got zinc sulfare by Scientific Botanicals. Its a liquid. Can't remember who I bought it from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.