Mothering Forum banner

Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas!

45K views 482 replies 70 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
To all allergy-suffering moms and T/ED refugees- I think it would be great to have a running thread with recipes and meal ideas that we could share with each other. I'm constantly wondering what to eat and sometimes have trouble trying to put together 3 allergen-free meals a day.

So maybe everyone can post their favorite meal ideas with the group. It would be a good idea to bold ingredients that are potential allergens (of course, everyone's allergen list is different, so just make sure to read carefully before using someone else's recipe!!)

I hope Astromom doesn't mind me quoting her
, but I thought her recent post was great and now I have a new alternative to store-bought tortillas!!

Quote:
I also work full-time. It is so overwhelming to be making all this stuff from scratch but I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. On the weekend I buy a roaster chicken, 3 lbs of ground lamb, 3 lbs of ground chicken. (I used to do turkey too but I'm sick of turkey.) Then I bake the chicken, save the meat, boil the bones and make a broth overnight. Then I make patties out of the meat and dip them in quinoa flour (which is gluten/wheat free) with some sea salt and cook those in a skillet with some oil (I use safflower oil or grapeseed oil.) I put the roast chicken pieces in the fridge and eat them over the next couple days. I put the patties in the freezer and eat them over the rest of the week. It takes several hours but then I'm done with the main dishes for the rest of the week.

For my bread fix, I make tortillas out of buckwheat. I take buckwheat flour (which is gluten/wheat free), baking powder, a little bit of oil, and enough warm water to make it a good slightly sticky consistency. Squash them flat (onto a plate of buckwheat flour to keep them from sticking) and then cook on a skillet (no oil needed) for like 30 seconds per side.

See less See more
#353 ·
oh man--you've got to try this---it was the yummiest soup---who knew that you could make "cream of soup" with just coconut milk and a thickener(cornstarch)

boil 4 cups of water--add whole yellow onion, 5-6 stalks celery, 3 potatoes (I used red skinless) all chopped. Cover and simmer for 20 min on med-low heat. add a can of artichokes (drained and chopped), and about a pound of asparagus chopped in bite size pieces and simmer 10 more minutes.

in my blender I put 2 cans coconut milk, 2 TB cornstarch (any ideas of a replacement for this--please share as we may lose corn one day)--1tsp salt, ~1tsp basil, 1/2 tsp tarragon, and 1/2 tsp paprika---I blended it until until it was a little foamy. (only like 45 sec on med- but i do have a blendtec)-

add this mixture to the veggies and water and bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened! (only took like 10-15min to our liking)

the coconut taste was completely gone (even hubby attested to that) it was like a really yummy creamy potato soup--now I can play with it w/brocolli and other veggies---cool!!! (sorry for those that can't do coconut) --let me know if you try it and modifications!

#354 ·
just wanted to say I tried this today (making a cake for a friend's birthday)--I got the GF vanilla cake mix and subbed ener-g egg replacer (made ahead of time) for the 3 eggs it calls for, subbed 1/4c coconut oil (softened-melting but still whole)-and 1/4c palm shortening (it calls for 1/2c butter) and then added the vanilla and water it called for.
I did an 8x8 pan and it turned out great--more like a pound cake texture--but was great under elanas coconut cream frosting (if I'm not allowed to post this--I sincerely apologize
http://www.elanaspantry.com/coconut-cream-frosting/

that frosting definately deserves a better cake under it though.

#355 ·
LBMarie9~
We can't do coconut or corn. But we use Dari-free (potato based milk) and when we need to use a starch, instead of cornstarch, we use potato starch.
To make a cream of *** soup, I make a roux using sorghum flour and spectrum shortening, then add veggie broth and Dari-free, then whatever veggies/spices I want in there.
So anyway, if you end up losing corn, check out potato starch.

#356 ·
Tortillas
(I'll come back and edit as I tweak it)

1/2 c brown rice flour
1/2 c sweet rice flour
1 cup tapioca
~2+ Tbsp gelatin
salt
baking soda
acid (vitamin C crystals)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add enough fat to get crumbles (I did 4 big spoonfuls of ghee/coconut oil). Drip in enough water to make it stick together.

Roll balls flat between two pieces of wax paper to 1/8-1/16" thick, then cook in a hot skillet. Transferring works best if you loosen the wax paper from one side, then flip it back onto the paper, remove the other side, then into your hand and into the skillet. Try not to let it fold as it lands, cause you can't very well undo it...

I don't do measuring very well. They came out on the chewy/crunchy side, and made good tostadas, even without additional frying.

#357 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
this is just the sort of thing my hubby would LOVE love--what kind of vinegar did you use? THANKS
The recipe from my neighbor calls for white vinegar, but I always use raw apple cider vinegar.

#358 ·
Sorry if this has already been posted (I couldn't remember if we already had an ice cream recipe or not on here), but I just made this coconut milk ice cream today and it was heavenly. Had someone just given me this on the street, I would have no idea it was even coconut milk. Tasted just like regular chocolate ice cream!!

2 - 14 oz cans of coconut milk (not lite)
1/3 cup of coconut/palm sugar, plus two tablespoons
2/3 cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a dash of sea salt

Throw it all in an ice cream maker, and there you go.

The palm sugar that I buy comes in small, hard chunks, so I had to melt it down with some coconut milk before adding it to the mixture. I also threw in some frozen blueberries, and skipped the vanilla (because I don't have a safe one yet).

#359 ·
Are you saying you don't have to boil it or make a flurry or chill it first? I think even I could break out my ice cream maker for this recipe if it is as simple as just throwing it all in and turning it on.

I feel like I haven't left my kitchen in 2 days, and it isn't that clean and I don't have that much to show for it. Cleaning/cooking/cleaning/baking/cleaning/cooking/cleaning/baking.
Homemade chix soup, millet muffins, oatmeal cookies, buckwheat/pumpkin muffins and hamburger/beans hot dish -mmmm.

~Tracy

#360 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
Are you saying you don't have to boil it or make a flurry or chill it first? I think even I could break out my ice cream maker for this recipe if it is as simple as just throwing it all in and turning it on.
Yep. I think her recipe says to follow your ice cream maker's instructions. Mine says to chill first, so I put it in the freezer for about 5 minutes and then ran out of patience and dumped it in the ice cream maker.
Still came out fine!

#361 ·
Sweet potato salad

No measurements again...
Boil white sweet potatoes, then cut into cubes. We peeled them and cut into half inch rounds to boil.

Once cool, mix with mayo, and add crumbled bacon and chopped green onions. Season with curry powder, mixing well.

It might help to mix the curry into the mayo, but I sprinkled it finely after everything was mixed to control how much.

#362 ·
"Greek" pasta salad

Dressing:
1/2 c EVOO
1/2 c lemon juice
1/2 c white wine vinegar
1 T oregano
1 t basil
1 t marjoram
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Mix all together and let sit for about 1/2 hour.

1 lb rice fusilli, cooked but not entirely cooled
1 red pepper, diced
1 can sliced black olives
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tomato, diced

Pour dressing over pasta and mix in vegetables and parsley. Chill and serve.

"Author's" note: I think it would be better with halved grape or cherry tomatoes and possibly some diced red onion. Everyone liked it anyway.

#363 ·
I'm anxiously awaiting the recipe for the pinenut ricotta that kathy keeps talking about is it her recipe or did she find it? could someone PLEASE link me to it?!! thanks! excited about the idea of some kind of lasagna for hubby (his old favorite meal-when life was normal

#364 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBMarie9 View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the recipe for the pinenut ricotta that kathy keeps talking about is it her recipe or did she find it? could someone PLEASE link me to it?!! thanks! excited about the idea of some kind of lasagna for hubby (his old favorite meal-when life was normal

I think this is the one?
http://www.bookofyum.com/blog/soy-fr...sagna-366.html

#367 ·
There is a recipe on kathysrecipebox.com for millet muffins that I've made several times - they are yeast free. I've made the recipe in a pan too, but make sure you bake it quite a bit longer if you make it that way instead of in muffin tins. My whole family loves them, even the pick pants baby and picky pants dh.

~Tracy

#369 ·
i used to make this all the time and came across it again--it's normally from zonya's health bites here: http://www.zonya.com/pdf/recipes/Chi...nbread_Pie.pdf

I did subs and it worked great a great quick dinner to throw together..it's pretty forgiving--take out the corn and tomatoes and add other veggies--

Chili millet cornbread pie
Preheat oven to 375°.
2 cans (15 oz each) chili beans (i used a red and a kidney--sometimes I do red and black)
1 can (16 oz) corn, no salt added (I used 2 c forzen organic corn)
1/2 med onion, chopped (opt)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (opt)
1 tsp Zippy Zonya Mexi Mix (I guessed-put 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp cayenne) I'll probably put 3/4 chili powder and 1/4 cayenne next time it was a tad hot)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with chilies (i use fresh tomatoes chopped and 1/2 a jalapeno)
1/2 tsp salt*

1 cup Millet (just grind it fresh in my blentec)
1 cup flour(1/2 sorghum ½ br rice flour)
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar (agave or honey or another)
1/2 tsp salt*
1 cup rice milk
2 T oil (coconut, palm oil, Unrefined canola oil)
Combine in an 9" x 13" baking dish.
Combine in a medium bowl using a fork to be sure baking powder is evenly distributed.
Add to dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spoon 9 even spoonfuls of the batter in a 3 x 3 pattern onto the bean mixture.
Place in oven to bake. Set timer for 30 minutes.!

we love to serve this with lots of raw veggies- carrots, brocolli, and celery (though DD can't have carrots or brocolli

#370 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
What is

Millet meal?
Maple cream?

I want to try the millet muffins. We're corn free now so a corn muffin sub would be great.
Maple cream is another 100% pure maple syrup product. It's probably just heated to a different temperature. It's only a couple Tbs. in the recipe, so you can probably just sub maple syrup.

I can't remember where I got the millet meal. I only have millet flour at the moment to look at the label. Bob's Red Mill? It's just a coarser grind, like cornmeal.

#371 ·
Quote:
What is

Millet meal?
Maple cream?
In the recipe, kathy said she was out of millet flour so used millet meal for some of it. I just use millet flour for all of the millet. And I just use maple syrup or honey for the maple cream. And I've used rice flours for the sorghum sometimes too. They always turn out great! The only time they didn't was when I put them in a big pan but didn't increase the baking time, then they were doughy in the middle.

~Tracy

#372 ·
I needed mayo for tuna pasta salad, coleslaw, potato salad, dressing, dips, etc. We were using duck eggs whenever we could find them (at the farmers' market or the co-op, not just out in the wild), but they were too few and far between. So, I started googling and came upon this recipe:

Quote:
1/2 T. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp sugar
1/4 C cooled water
3/4 C boiling water
2 T lemon juice
1 T vinegar
1/2 C oil
salt & pepper to taste

Mix flour, salt, mustard, sugar & 1/4 C cooled water into a paste. Add boiling water and cook until mixture is "clear". Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice, vinegar & oil, beating constantly. Salt & pepper to taste.
I don't know if it was just me or what, but I ended up needing almost a full cup of oil. I use an immersion blender (hand-held) so I know it was emulsifying correctly. I also thought it was too sweet (I used honey instead of sugar) but DH said it was fine. I also used water kefir in place of vinegar since I don't like vinegar in my mayo. I also increased the amount of mustard powder to 1/2 tsp.

Next time I think I'm going to up it to 1T flour (I used rice, but I may try fresh ground buckwheat instead next time) and maybe just 1/2 tsp of honey.

It served its purpose for the meal it was intended, but it could use some tweaking. I posted it here as a jumping off point for everyone. Perhaps inspiration will strike and someone can post back a fabulously modified version.

#373 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by menomena View Post
It served its purpose for the meal it was intended, but it could use some tweaking. I posted it here as a jumping off point for everyone. Perhaps inspiration will strike and someone can post back a fabulously modified version.

Thank you! I've been wanting chicken salad for months! Now I've got to bake some bread to go with it! I think I'll use agave instead of honey, and probably buckwheat flour, and lime instead of lemon, just in case DD2 wants to try it. When you say the mixture is "clear", do you just mean everything is dissolved? Because with mustard and buckwheat, I don't think it's going to be clear...

#374 ·
yeah, that's why I wrote "clear". i have no idea what the original recipe meant. I just sort of went with it. almost like making gravy, i let it thicken a bit. i think the idea is to cook the flour so you don't have a raw flour sauce. (i found the recipe on a random dietitians' website's FAQ. let's see if i can find the page... here it is!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.