Mothering Forum banner

Allergen-free recipes and meal ideas!

45K views 482 replies 70 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
To all allergy-suffering moms and T/ED refugees- I think it would be great to have a running thread with recipes and meal ideas that we could share with each other. I'm constantly wondering what to eat and sometimes have trouble trying to put together 3 allergen-free meals a day.

So maybe everyone can post their favorite meal ideas with the group. It would be a good idea to bold ingredients that are potential allergens (of course, everyone's allergen list is different, so just make sure to read carefully before using someone else's recipe!!)

I hope Astromom doesn't mind me quoting her
, but I thought her recent post was great and now I have a new alternative to store-bought tortillas!!

Quote:
I also work full-time. It is so overwhelming to be making all this stuff from scratch but I'm finally getting into the rhythm of it. On the weekend I buy a roaster chicken, 3 lbs of ground lamb, 3 lbs of ground chicken. (I used to do turkey too but I'm sick of turkey.) Then I bake the chicken, save the meat, boil the bones and make a broth overnight. Then I make patties out of the meat and dip them in quinoa flour (which is gluten/wheat free) with some sea salt and cook those in a skillet with some oil (I use safflower oil or grapeseed oil.) I put the roast chicken pieces in the fridge and eat them over the next couple days. I put the patties in the freezer and eat them over the rest of the week. It takes several hours but then I'm done with the main dishes for the rest of the week.

For my bread fix, I make tortillas out of buckwheat. I take buckwheat flour (which is gluten/wheat free), baking powder, a little bit of oil, and enough warm water to make it a good slightly sticky consistency. Squash them flat (onto a plate of buckwheat flour to keep them from sticking) and then cook on a skillet (no oil needed) for like 30 seconds per side.

See less See more
#377 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Do you use a kitchen scale?
No. I was going by the oz. on the side of the packages I was using.

I don't have EVERY gadget, you know!

#378 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
No. I was going by the oz. on the side of the packages I was using.

I don't have EVERY gadget, you know!
Oh thank goodness. I was thinking to myself "Oh dear lord, she's going to start weighing her flours next."
I've seen a bunch of blogs that do that and I'm left going.... Uhhh...
No scale.

#379 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Oh thank goodness. I was thinking to myself "Oh dear lord, she's going to start weighing her flours next."
I've seen a bunch of blogs that do that and I'm left going.... Uhhh...
No scale.
My half-brother got a scale when he started baking. I use a Pyrex measuring cup. And my grandmother's wooden spoons. Though I did just get a Cuisinart Nut/Spice Grinder and it's really cool. It's like a bigger version of DH's coffeegrinder (which I used to steal to make confectioners sugar). The sweet potato starch I got was lumpy so I ran it through there to get it finer and it did a really good job. I'm making marshmallows for DD2 now (made the beet sugar version a couple days ago for DS; now it's time for the DD2 version).

#380 ·
Quote:

My half-brother got a scale when he started baking. I use a Pyrex measuring cup. And my grandmother's wooden spoons. Though I did just get a Cuisinart Nut/Spice Grinder and it's really cool. It's like a bigger version of DH's coffeegrinder (which I used to steal to make confectioners sugar). The sweet potato starch I got was lumpy so I ran it through there to get it finer and it did a really good job. I'm making marshmallows for DD2 now (made the beet sugar version a couple days ago for DS; now it's time for the DD2 version).
mmmmmm

Do you have a link for the nut grinder. Do you think it would work on small grains? Millet, etc?

#381 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
mmmmmm

Do you have a link for the nut grinder. Do you think it would work on small grains? Millet, etc?
Here is the one I got, at Macys. It says "Grinding Suggestions": black peppercorns, nutmeg, whole cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, anise or fennel seeds, flax or sesame seeds, nuts (for chopped nuts), nuts (for nut flour). I have some whole millet.... want me to see if it works?

#382 ·
Quote:

Here is the one I got, at Macys. It says "Grinding Suggestions": black peppercorns, nutmeg, whole cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, anise or fennel seeds, flax or sesame seeds, nuts (for chopped nuts), nuts (for nut flour). I have some whole millet.... want me to see if it works?
Man, if it can do peppercorns it should be able to do millet. Give it a whirl!!!

#383 ·
Quote:

Very cool. Have you noticed if it heats things up like a coffee grinder does?

#385 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshuasmom16 View Post
looking for dairy free, egg free, nut free recipe for oatmeal bars.
tried one already but came out unformed

thanks!
This might work as bars. The cookies hold up. 12 min. for soft chewy cookies, longer for crispy.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Mix Well:

¾ c. palm shortening
1 ½ c. sucanat or brown sugar
2 flax eggs (6T water, 2T flax seeds)
¼ c. water
1 Tsp. vanilla

Mix Separately:
3 c. oats
1 c. dried cranberries
3/4 c. rice flour
¼ c. tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp xanthan gum

With Wooden spoon combine wet and dry ingredients.
Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 min

#386 ·
Is this going to keep falling off the page because it's not a sticky anymore? How do we get it back to being a sticky.

#388 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Man, if it can do peppercorns it should be able to do millet. Give it a whirl!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Very cool. Have you noticed if it heats things up like a coffee grinder does?
It didn't heat things up as far as I can tell. It made walnut flour (like almond flour -- oops, I ground for too long, since I just wanted chopped nuts). And the millet flour was perfect.

#390 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
The grinder looks nice. I might feel more patient about not having a blendtec with something like that.
Did you buy it at the regular store?
I got it at Macys. It was $40 I think, on sale. I had sold some of my gold jewelry that I had (rings from old boyfriends and single earrings I couldn't find the match for) and got duplicates of some of my small appliances so I didn't have to move them back and forth every summer. But the grinder was a new one. I really like it. I got tapioca starch and sweet potato starch at the Asian Market last time and it's not as fine as the other stuff I was getting. So I whirl it before I use it so I don't have little clumps.

#391 ·
Just wanted to say that I make crepes often, with some variation of flour. I do use eggs and haven't had success with egg replacers in crepes. Anyway, today I added more potato starch than usual. My flour was about 1 part oat flour (could use millet or buckwheat, I think), 1 part potato starch and 2 parts rice flour. I haven't used potato starch much, but these crepes were much drier (not stiffer, just not so wet on the surface) and I think they'd make good sandwich wraps for that reason.

My recipe was 1/4 cup oat flour, 1/4 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup rice flour, 3/4 cup rice milk, 1/4 cup water, 2 eggs, a drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp sugar, a dash of salt. I've made them with more or less sugar and various combinations of water and rice milk. Makes about 6 wraps. You have to keep mixing the batter so you don't end up with a lot of flour at the bottom of your bowl when you get to crepe #6 (or maybe 7).

#392 ·
Quote:

Is this going to keep falling off the page because it's not a sticky anymore? How do we get it back to being a sticky.
I'd ask MoonWillow and explain that it's a frequently used resource and having to Search for it because no one's added to it for a few days is inconvenient. I think they're trying to clean up the messiness that the stickies grew into, but this, in this forum, seems more useful when it's up-top. But I'd ask and see what happens.

#398 ·
Jacqueline, do only the cool kids get your blog address?

Quote:
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad
By Diana Rattray, About.com

For the best flavor, prepare this salad and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 tablespoon spicy or Creole mustard
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 2 medium unpeeled Gala, Red Delicious, or Fuji apples, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced crosswise
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 3 cups coarsely shredded red cabbage
* 2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
* 3/4 cup dried cranberries
* 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted, optional
* salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:
Whisk both vinegars and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in the honey and olive oil.

Toss apples with lemon juice, shredded cabbage, and dried cranberries. Add dressing and toss. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in pecans, if using. Refrigerate the salad and toss again before serving.
Serves 6.
I made this without apples, pepper, lemon juice or pecans but added shredded carrots and red grapes and raw onions. And instead of the spicy mustard I used Annie's honey mustard. Really good!!!

Tracy
:

#399 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
Jacqueline, do only the cool kids get your blog address?

I made this without apples, pepper, lemon juice or pecans but added shredded carrots and red grapes. And instead of the spicy mustard I used Annie's honey mustard. Really good!!!

Tracy
:
Sorry. I forgot it's not in my siggie anymore. My blog. Things are dairy, egg, gluten, coconut, peanut, and most tree nut (maybe contain pine nuts in the future) free, although I may add optional nuts (which I won't add but will tell people they can add
). I try for corn free too, but it's not a restriction of ours so... Mostly soy free as well.
That salad sounds really delish, Tracy.
:

ETA: And I thought you had my blog address, Tracy, so if it was "only the cool kids", you can feel safe in knowing you're counted there.

#401 ·
I found this online and inserted substitutions already:

Quote:
The Recipe for Chicken Marsala

1/4 cup rice flour for coating
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick
4 tablespoons coconut milk fat
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup cooking sherry

1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.

2. In a large skillet, melt coconut milk in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine and sherry. Cover skillet; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
Would the marsala wine and cooking sherry be "allergen" free? Just grapes, right? I've never pounded chicken, I personally would probably just cut up in pieces instead. I can see serving this over the thin rice noodles, the white ones in the asian cooking section.

I LOVE chicken marsala, it only just dawned on me that I could maybe make it even allergen free (I've never made it at all, used to order it out, ahhhh, the good old days...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.