Mothering Forum banner

Almost August Weekly Thread 7/27-8/2

3K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  Spring Sun 
#1 ·
Mornin' All!

Sooooo... some mamas have babes in arms, some are in labor, some are counting the days, and others are still looking across a river of weeks. But we're all getting closer!

How is it going? New mamas... are you resting up and enjoying your babes? Any advice? Mamas in waiting... are you resting up? Ideas for making these weeks pass quickly?

See less See more
#52 ·
I'm definitely in the thinking any day could be the day camp. Or, I was. Then yesterday I saw the mw who let me know that the baby's head isn't remotely engaged. She felt like babe's head was out of alignment with my pelvis and hovering high. So, I got a binder belt thingy to keep him from flopping over to my right side too far and I've been sitting on my birth ball A LOT. The binder belt feels AWESOME, so I don't feel so ridiculous for spending money on it for just a week or so of use.

I had been taking it REALLY easy for the past week or so, but mw suggests I get up and get gravity working on this baby. So... today I'm making a birthday dinner for my aunt replete with chili, cornbread and cake! It feels great to be active and busy and doing something other than straightening the house, which like many of you, I feel like I have to do constantly! If only I had all your energy coconut!

9 days countdown here, too, sunshynbaby! My ds came at 39 weeks, so I was not expecting to make it all the way to 39 again... looks like I'll get there and even more. Geez...

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
I hate to complain, it is just that our house is filthy, I have no idea how I would have a baby here. We agreeed to hire someone to come in and clean, no matter what the cost. Even though we don't have money yet. That will help.
I can totally relate there. We really let our house go, and it was so gross I couldn't even be home without feeling like I couldn't breathe (emotionally). I finally hired someone who spent 4 hours cleaning our TINY 2 bedroom apartment, if that says anything about how awful it was. Now I'm just keeping up with it by vacuuming on hands and knees with a shop vac once a week and cleaning the guinea pig cages and sinks/toilet/countertops. I feel like now that it's been thoroughly cleaned I can keep up by just doing my part once a week. And now I can feel relaxed and at peace in my own home, which is always a good thing.

I have to say, I'm really lucky to have a 5 1/2 yr old who LOVES to clean. We use old socks as rags and she slips them onto her hands and thinks cleaning the sinks and toilet is the best fun! It cracks me up, but more importantly, it's soooo helpful.

#54 ·
Quote:

Okay, I am totally going to rant and complain and vent.

I have been really freaking out-crying, sobbing, wanting to pull out my hair. I had a serious freak out last night, and cried all day.

Anyone else going through this?

Yes, periodically I go through the exact same thing! Hate it, but feel it is a necessary evil.

#55 ·
I'm actually going to complain for once.

While I would like to enjoy the rest of my pregnant days, I fear that I'm not going to be able to. My BP was high yesterday and my vision a little blurry with a headache. I came straight home, started drinking a magnesium, and eating a very plain broth. I peed on a stick and had traces of protein in my urine. BLAH.

So I'm taking it easy for the next few days to see if things balance out.

It sucks because I wanted to go out of town this weekend with my mom and two boys to my cousins first baby shower. We're very close, being pregnant together and all, and I'm afraid to miss it. But sitting around in 100+ degree heat isn't going to make me feel any better. I told my mom she could still take the boys over, since their cousins will be there as well and they really want to see them.

I also love my mother. She came over straight away last night and made a huge pot of soup for me. Though its incredibly easy to digest, its so very flavorful and I really like it. She also made dinner for the boys and did some dishes. She's amazing.

Aside from this minor set back. I'm trying to stay positive. I still have two weeks to go at least and I'm trying my best not to think about all the good food I'm missing out on this weekend. haha.

And my birthday is Monday.

Quote:

Okay, I am totally going to rant and complain and vent.

I have been really freaking out-crying, sobbing, wanting to pull out my hair. I had a serious freak out last night, and cried all day.

Anyone else going through this?
YES. I've been really calm this whole pregnancy despite some serious issues going on, but it took my debit card not working at Trader Joes in front of a huge line, and me having to leave the store with no groceries to cause my freak out and sobbing. Its like all the crap I've been going through just dumped out on me in the TJ's parking lot. I sobbed, I cried, I wailed. I was a sight I'm sure. I had to wait for it to be over before I could even drive home. =\

So I feel you, it happens to the best of us.

#57 ·
one of my lovely midwife friends is coming over today with a tea that has dandelion in it.

What else did you do to combat high BP? I also know that the BP machine at Rite Aid is calibrated differently than other one I've been measured with, plus it has a smaller cuff. Though my arms aren't massive, I think I would get a more accurate read from a larger cuff.

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
one of my lovely midwife friends is coming over today with a tea that has dandelion in it.

What else did you do to combat high BP? I also know that the BP machine at Rite Aid is calibrated differently than other one I've been measured with, plus it has a smaller cuff. Though my arms aren't massive, I think I would get a more accurate read from a larger cuff.

My arms upper arms are big and the drug store would not work, plus the machines are not in top form. I have always heard midwives say not to rely on them. But I would take your headache and visual stuff into account regardless. I had headaches and visual stuff last time at 32 weeks. I immediately started dandelion, cal/mag and eating more watermelon. All of those and I was free of the headaches and large swirly disturbances. I have no issues this time since starting earlier. Also getting hot doesn't help, take a cool bath if you get hot. I was in a hot, hot church last Saturday, my hands and veins in hands swelled in one hour. Rest and stay away, as much as you can from stressful things

#59 ·
I'll have my friend bring over a watermelon today as well. mmmm watermelon. I have Natural Calm and I'm taking that with hot water, a heaping tablespoon, four times a day.

The weather were I live is really pleasant, but travling this weekend inland to the 100+ degrees just isn't going to happen now.

Maybe they can take video of the party and upload it to the web for me! Baby shower web cast!

Thanks for the tips, I'll def. be keeping cool, hydrated, and relaxed.

#60 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
I'll have my friend bring over a watermelon today as well. mmmm watermelon. I have Natural Calm and I'm taking that with hot water, a heaping tablespoon, four times a day.

The weather were I live is really pleasant, but travling this weekend inland to the 100+ degrees just isn't going to happen now.

Maybe they can take video of the party and upload it to the web for me! Baby shower web cast!

Thanks for the tips, I'll def. be keeping cool, hydrated, and relaxed.
You can do it! Hang in there! I also wanted to add make sure you are getting enough protein. I was not for a while and noticed the difference.

#61 ·
Ants- well, the colony is gone, but the house is a wreck. Tumbleweeds of dog hair, fiberglass insulation, and wood pulp pick up ant bits and roll around the house. The sleep loft is a mess with a tiny vacuumed path from the stairs to the bed. Everything else is piled high with plastic sheeting, ant parts, insulation, drywall, tools, etc. It's horrible.

And the small projects I thought I could fo on my own I can't (for a variety of reasons). I've got to run to an OB appointment (my first due date is 8/7 so I'm getting close!) so more later but..... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I want just a teeny tiny corner of the house that looks clean, you know?

#64 ·
I hate ants! We have fire ants down here in FL and every time one bites me I have a weird reaction where it swells up to an insane size. One bit my toe last weekend and I swear my toe grew to 3 times its normal size. Curse you ants!!

I had my homevisit today and it went very well. Baby girl is engaged nicely but posterior so I'm gonna work on getting her to turn. MW guessed she's around 5 lbs and I'll be 37 weeks this weekend. I'd like to bake for a few more weeks so she can be in the 7 lbs range.

#65 ·
What a difference a day makes on my mood! I'm incredibly frustrated and teary after my OB appt this morning. There's been no progress really. She did put me at 1 centimeter, but I feel like that was a pity call on her part. She told me that she would be willing to induce as soon 2 days after my due date
I really didn't want to do that, but it's tempting. If it comes to that, I might need you all to talk me down, lol.

I bawled in DH's arms after the appt and stayed home because I just couldn't will myself to work. I'll do some extra hydrotherapy time in the pool today. My foot feels broken from extra swelling

The good news is that I get to see my mom's old friend for dinner today. She has stepped up in place of my mom (passed on) to come to the birth, etc. I feel very blessed in that respect.

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
What a difference a day makes on my mood! I'm incredibly frustrated and teary after my OB appt this morning. There's been no progress really. She did put me at 1 centimeter, but I feel like that was a pity call on her part. She told me that she would be willing to induce as soon 2 days after my due date
I really didn't want to do that, but it's tempting. If it comes to that, I might need you all to talk me down, lol.

You ARE making progress, each day that you get closer to your "due date" and even past you are one day closer to baby arriving. I had nothing "going on" w/ my first babies, twins and yet went into labor that night. On the other hand been dilated a lot for months w/ my last 5 yet babies born at term. It means nothing really.

#67 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
You ARE making progress, each day that you get closer to your "due date" and even past you are one day closer to baby arriving. I had nothing "going on" w/ my first babies, twins and yet went into labor that night. On the other hand been dilated a lot for months w/ my last 5 yet babies born at term. It means nothing really.
Thanks mama, I needed that!

#68 ·
Home again... I did agree to a cervical check just to see (yeah, I know it doesn't really tell you anything
) and I'm soft, still mostly posterior, and about 2cm.

However, babe has wiggled out of his perfect birth position (which he had maintained for months) and is posterior. Grrrrr. Time to be a bit more religious about my positioning I guess. Best guess on babe's size right now is roughly 8lbs (at 38/39 weeks). Which makes sense since dd1 was 9lbs5oz and dd2 was 9lbs. I really want an August babe but sort of hope this kiddo decides to make his entrance in early August, you know?

ETA- progress... the Labor Progress Handbook lists 6 "ways to progress"... and although they're not glamorous, the first three ways are important too! The book also points out that those first 3 steps can take days or weeks and that it's important not to get discouraged if you happen to be in the group of women that has seemingly "useless" contractions for a prolonged period of time.

1- cervix moves to the anterior position
2- cervix becomes soft
3- cervix effaces
4- cervix dilates
5- babe's head rotates/flexes/molds
6- babe descends and is born

So hang in there!

#69 ·
We don't have ants, we have spiders! In the bed! Every day I wake up with new bites. This happens in every house I live in in this town and it's awful. I never see the darn things, but just get the bites.

#71 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raene View Post
We don't have ants, we have spiders! In the bed! Every day I wake up with new bites. This happens in every house I live in in this town and it's awful. I never see the darn things, but just get the bites.

Oh my, would be totally, I mean totally freaking out. #1 bug enemy roaches, thank the Lord we do not have them here, #2 bug enemy spiders. We have tons, ugh!

#72 ·
My DH would have gone crazy or moved out of your house Wombat, he is freaked out by ants. He had two terrible experiences as a child and now he HATES the things. He will set other bugs free, with ants if it sprays and seems slightly toxic or flamable he is after the ants. We even had a bug service for a while since we just could not keep the ants at bay.

It's lovely we have several ant types in our area, in fact very near my house is where they collect ants to sell for ant farms. We also have what I call nuclear ants, these things are HUGE (sometimes close to an inch long), that don't die from being squashed, coated in gasoline and lite on fire or any other standard method of ant death (we had some that smelled like Raid, I think they thrived on the stuff). They also cause me to swell intensely when I get bit. Even reading your story made my skin crawl!!! EEWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Glad to hear they are on their way out!

I still have so much to do, but I am getting so run down. I feel like I just want to sleep. I messed up my appt. time yesterday for my midwife, but I have to say though I got nothing done, the fact that it was 67 degrees there verses 102 at home I had a bit of a tough time complaining. I wish I could find an excuse to go stay near the BC now while the weather is hot. But we got our AC working now so its not as terrible as it was. It was 105 here and our AC was barely working, I was getting sick it was so awful.

Overall I am getting things slowly done, but I am getting antsy, my next appt is my due date, things are getting close, I need to keep telling myself that to make it through day to day.

#74 ·
Ugh, ants! Now I'm itchy
: We have a terrible problem with fire ants here in SWFL. I have no issues whatsoever resorting to the bad stuff to get rid of them. Their bites hurt and leave me blistered and scarred!

I too had my home visit today
: It was good. I really hope that both of my midwives are able to attend my birth. I feel so comfortable with both of them
37 weeks tomorrow! Yipee!

#75 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Home again... I did agree to a cervical check just to see (yeah, I know it doesn't really tell you anything
) and I'm soft, still mostly posterior, and about 2cm.
!
I broke down too. We even joked about how it tells nothing but for some reason I wanted to know. My midwife said she was the same way. I just can't say how much l love her. I was her last appointment of the day and had a accupunture appointment afterward. She offered to drive me so I didn't have to walk or take public transportation so we got to hang out a little longer. It was so much fun. She really is a cool person.

Well back to the check. Pretty useless info
1cm and 50% or so. We put bets on the day just for fun. She is saying nothing will happen until after my mom arrives on the 9th, the day after my due date. I am saying he will be born on the 12th so he will have matching days with DS1 who is april 12. It is really symetrical because both DH and I have birthdays on the 8th 4 months apart and the kids would have birthdays on the 12th 4 months apart.

Otherwise life is moving along quietly. Not really doing much. Still working FT but from home most days. We are planning something fun for the family this weekend as it is the last full one we have before my mom arrives. Not sure if it will be a trip to the zoo or just the pool. Maybe both. We will see how I feel.

#76 ·
LOL, all this talk about bugs have me itchy and running around with the vacuum cleaner sucking up little critters

We are pretty lucky we don't have a lot of any just a few spiders here and there and sometimes an ant or 2 makes it inside. Mostly it if flies but I look at them as toys for the cats

We also have fruit flies which drives my DH insane. No matter how clean we are and how quickly we put things away they seem to appear. We even put out compost bucket in the freezer because it was causing an infestation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.